Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
^^^

I think you are mixing up cause and effect. Also, that is some bad bolding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sleepy Beef posted:

So not only are we going to violate the Constitutional rights of these prisoners, we're not going to allow them to (well, partially..) correct these violations through litigation? Holy loving poo poo our society is so broken.

They also can't vote. So there is no way they will ever be able to exert any influence to change the law so that they can have their grievances heard in court.

Felons in the US have at least as much, if not more, legitimate reason to revolt against the government then the founding fathers did.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

duck monster posted:

I'd loving hope so. Disenfranchising a man for a crime he never committed is a horrible act.

Well so is sticking him in jail terrified out his mind about impending oblivion for 18 years, come to think of it.

I hope he finds a nice wife and is able to make the best out of his middle and elderly ages. I imagine the dude has a lot of trauma to work through.

Not to mention the stigma. Locked up for 18 years and released as 'innocent'... "well, he must've done something, else they wouldn't have locked him up". Just world in action.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

This isn't a matter of stupidity. They know exactly what will result from this new policy, and they don't give a poo poo.

Ofcourse they give a poo poo. They have overcrowding problems. Increasing the mortality rate will help alleviate that problem. This policy is beneficial for them and so I'm sure they care a lot. Don't be upset about the increased prisoner deaths, they aren't really humans anyway.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Please stop making GBS threads up this thread.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I literally wouldn't be surprised if a story came up that prisons with budget shortfalls where selling inmate organs or something.

I've had an argument with an American who thought that'd just be the great free market at work.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

^^^

Wouldn't that invalidate the election if found that a group of voters was deliberately kept from being informed by the state?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

duck monster posted:

Australian judges are a pretty independent lot, but I doubt many of them are THAT brave to try and invalidate an election over a bunch of prisoners.

I realize that it is unlikely in practice, I was speaking from principle.

Also HidingFromGoro, please never stop with what you are doing, it's great, even if the content of most of your posts is absolutely terrible.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

21stCentury posted:

I don't know if it's right or wrong, but the greatest masterpieces of Man are all built on the blood of Men who are not considered People. I guess until we get robots going, it's gonna be a pretty hard dilemma. Do we exploit weaker people for our own benefit or do we refuse to exploit them and suffer economically?

I really don't see how that is a pretty hard dilemma.

And let's be complete here. We have robots going. We have lots of technology doing jobs that humans used to do. Ideally, all that technology and increased worker efficiency would have let to shorter working weeks. It hasn't. All its done is increase prosperity for one group of people, while increasing unemployment and the misery that comes with that for an other group of people. So not only is your "pretty hard dilemma" actually easy, it's not a dilemma at all, an increased prevalence of robots will not reduce exploitation.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 13, 2011

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

HBKevin posted:

I personally think that imprisonment for life without parole is the only appropriate punishment for a murderer, regardless of age, because it ensures that person will never murder someone in society again (although sadly there is the chance that they will murder another prisoner).

Prisoners are members of society, as much as some would like to deny it. So your draconic punishment won't even have its desired effect.

I suppose you could lock them away in solitary for the rest of their lives, but at that point just putting them to death seems to me to be the more humane thing to do. Lifelong torture or state sanctioned murder, take your pick.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

HBKevin posted:

Further, the 'quality of life' argument is not valid when comparing life to death. There are plenty of people who have miserable existences on this Earth, such as starving children in Africa. Should we kill them, to put them out of their misery? Of course not. The difference is that they did not choose their fate by their actions, while the murderer did. He has earned his unpleasant life by consciously choosing to end another person's life, which he has no right to do, and thus forfeits his own right to self-determination and freedom.

Quality of life is one of the biggest factors used when determining which patient should get a donororgan. Quality of life is a major factor in handling requests for euthanisia. So yes, quality of life is very valid, even when comparing life to death. Living can be worse than death, being in a state of perpetual torture is one of them.

Starving children in Africa should be put out of their misery actually, by feeding them. The difference here is that you are purposefully choosing to put people in a miserable living condition, which is a step worse then choosing not to do anything to uplift people out of miserable living conditions.

You say you are a Christian, so I must ask, where is your forgiveness? You say a murderer has chosen to have himself be tortured for life by society. I say that this is you passing lifelong judgment. Perhaps you should read your own holy book more carefully.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do we do it chemically, or go in with a knife and a blender?

You know they'd go with the former, and that would be seen as soft by Real Americans.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Stew Man Chew posted:

Did he say 93 percent of domestically produced PAINTS? Made by prisoners? Jesus christ it really is like slavery all over again.

Stand up for civil rights and buy foreign.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Seems counterproductive. We want jobs in America, but not to pay the people for the jobs.

Create more criminals!

edit* I love that article. It costs a lot to incarcerate someone, so uh... instead of NOT throwing them in prison for crimes that are mostly not violent, lets make them into slave labor! Thats the solution!

They can pay for their own train ticket.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Then call it Tough on Crime.

I'm Tough on Crime. I think we should do everything in our power to stop and prevent crime in this country. Things are just out of control. We can do that by forcing prisoners to become good, productive, moral citizens after they're released. Forced rehabilitation programs should be mandatory in some circumstances. We can force them to learn the value of a hard days work at minimum wage, and hold their money until they've earned their freedom. Etc. Etc.

The problem I think is that no one marries liberal policies with conservative rhetoric. Conservatives only care about what their politicians say, and would hear "tough on crime". Liberals only care about what their politicians do, and would see "rehabilitation".

I don't know if buying into conservative rhetoric is really such a good idea.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Even if it gets things passed? I mean, we all seem to agree that things can't get better because of "tough on crime" poo poo, so why not subvert "tough on crime"?

Same thing with Health Care Reform. If that was approached as a cost cutting measure (which everyone can get behind) and "oh, by the way, you'll have better healthcare as well" things may have gone differently.

Yeah hey if it gets (good) things passed then by all means. What I'm saying though is, I'm not at all convinced that buying into Republican rhetoric will get anything good passed.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

There is 10%+ unemployment in the US right now, if prisoners got minimum wage people would be going to jail intentionally.

That's not necessarely bad though. It'll expose more people to the horrible prison conditions, hopefully changing their minds about how a prison ought to be run (this happened in the Netherlands after WW2) and it also puts a further strain of overcapacity on an already creaking system, possibly causing it to break. It might force a discussion on welfare and what the role of prisons ought to be (ie. stop sending all those non violent drug offenders to prison for decades).

I'll grant you that it's a long shot, but I don't think it's a good reason to oppose minimum wage for prison labour.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This on the level of having to pay your own train ticket.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Madman Theory posted:

Auschwitz reference.

Well, maybe not an extermination camp, but a work camp has a ridiculous amount of parallels.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

How is an indefinite sentence even possible to be a thing and not blatantly cruel and unusual punishment?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Reaganomicon posted:

What in the immediate gently caress. :stare:

Some people read Kafka's works as instruction manuals. Also Orwell's.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So there is this thing right here that scares the living poo poo out of me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Now, it says in the article there they some prisons are going to start installing these in rooms to quell riots. Now, how exactly does this not fall under the concept of "Cruel and unusual punishment?" Yes I know, I know, this thread has made a perfect showcase on all of the cruel and unusual poo poo that goes on in prison. But the ADS can't just be hushed up or just disregarded as an "accident" or something. This thing is a good drat torture ray straight out of sci-fi.

This is the best part of that wikipedia page:

quote:

developing cancer from exposure is "very unlikely"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

^^^

I thought the quotemarks were funny and the whole statement pretty vague. A lot of things are very unlikely to lead to cancer developing, and for those things, cancer isn't usually mentioned, let alone with oddly placed quotes.

And about that manual override, given this whole thread, I'm fully expecting guards to routinely use this as a disciplinary action or even just for shits and giggles.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Here's a thought - why not make the legislators take a drug test? They're being paid from the public coffers, what do they have to hide?

Drugs.

On a serious note though, how exactly is this constitutional?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sexual assault: minor compared to police harrasment. Just reflect on that for a while.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Those who would think others would give up their liberty for a little air conditioning deserve neither.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Goro, your comment in the thread about the Mormon brainwashing "school" about how they wouldn't let gang affiliated kids in such places cus they'd get killed combined with a video in the COTB thread about a Seattle cop abusing the poo poo out of a 15 year old girl. I figured, he probably wouldn't have done that to her if she was gang affiliated either.

Anyway, the question then. Let's say you're a regular Joe and poo poo like that happens to your kid and you kill the cop who did it and go to prison. How is that generally taken by the inmates? Does it even matter or are you pretty much guaranteed to be dead cus the guards will gently caress you up? If it does, is that different in the case an established gang member kills a cop? Like, how does this stuff work.

(note: not personally interested in killing cops)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

HidingFromGoro posted:

I'd pay to see that debate, King would eat them alive- doubly so if Dr. Kupers was up there with him.

Plus, since King's the master of "kill 'em with kindness," after he got done wiping the floor with them, he'd probably make some cookies to help them feel better.

They'll wait till he's dead, then.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What the loving gently caress. Pretty sure in civilised systems you can't even charge (try?) kids younger than 10 or 12.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

HELLO THERE posted:

I don't think we are "tough on crime;" the PIC is "tough on us" -- unless you're rich or work/manage the prison system, "tough on crime" targets you.

It is a crime to extract wages from a capitalist's profit.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I can't be the only one to think that this doesn't feel like some sort of effort to literally try and leak slavery back into the fields of Georgia. As we all know (from this very thread, no less), this is already pretty much being practiced, but this feels like a much more blatant and open advocacy of it given Georgia's racial prison disparity...

You can drop the qualifiers. What you gotta realize is that you've been lied to in school. If you read the 13th for yourself you'll see that slavery never went away. The US has been a slavestate from its founding until today.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

At least if the US would torture physically as badly as they do mentally, it'd be a hell of a lot harder to hide and deny. I don't think that'd encourage any kind of change other than doing away with the physical torture, though.

His whole idea is only addressing the symptoms rather than the root causes, so it's not really helping.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Rutibex posted:

In a lot of ways slavery was much better for black people than what we have today. A slave was a valuable piece of property, if you work him to death or underfeed him you're out a sizable investment. The same is not true of the "free market" or prison system. Unlike in prison a slave can have a family (to get more slaves of course). When a slaves work is done they could go down to the creek and swim or take a walk through the plantation, a prisoner is locked in a concrete cube when they aren't working. Etc...

We should bring back slavery too!

And yet when you talk about wage slavery, people jump down your throat for talking down the horrors of slavery.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You know, there's an angle here that makes this whole thing even more depressing.

There is a good chance that the reason this guy did what he did was because he believed he'd get good healthcare in prison because he believed the lies politicians and the prison industrial complex tell about the way prisoners are treated for their own benefit.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

nm posted:

Also if only people knew how few people in prison are there for murder or rape.
Most people there are there for drugs and stealing poo poo (to get drugs).

Even a lot of murders got ties to drugs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

anonumos posted:

Oh please. Not all drugs have ties to murder.

I agree.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Andropov posted:

If this is the case, then they should be killed.

Killing costs even more than incarceration. Also, no decent people kill other people, not even under the guise of government. Could you please gently caress off with your fascist ideas about societal purity now?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Andropov posted:

This is because of our broken judicial system. Theoretically, it should cost next to nothing.

So if someone breaks into your house and you kill them in self-defense, you're not a decent person?

The state must safeguard its constituency. The death penalty is like the above situation in this regard.

Killing costs next to nothing if you don't care about issues such as guilt, due process and justice. And no, generally killing someone over material possesssions does not make you a decent person. Ofcourse now you'll say "what if you get personally attacked and it's you or him?". Not that it matters, because you are not advocating the morality of killing someone in desperate self-defense, you are advocating extra-judicial state murder.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Andropov posted:

I don't, because they are meaningless vagaries.

I reiterate:

The species has evolved morality to perpetuate itself. There is nothing transcendent or perennial about it, and in a time of great evolutionary change, biological, societal, and otherwise, it should be abandoned in favor of a pragmatic approach to things. Whether or not something is "moral" or "ethical" is irrelevant; instead, the arbiter of decision making should be a set destination, which in most cases is the advancement of national, ethnic, individual, societal etc, interest and improvement.

Literally fascism.

For those American posters shaking their heads and dismissing this poster as an obvious troll, please bear in mind that your government is currently engaging in exactly the kind of behaviour this poster is advocating. Except instead of "engaging in violence", your government chooses "inciting to terrorism (as secretly and unaccountably defined by us)" as its criteria for extra-judicial murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

You do know that 1984 was a political satire right?

Also DNA does not work that way.

• Locked thread