Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orbis Tertius posted:

Ah, what the hell? Is he insane, or is there some larger context to this I'm not getting.

That part about 'trustys' makes it sound like he pardoned a number of them just because they seemed like decent enough dudes in person - which is really just, well that's just dumb.

He can't run for Governor anymore and it looks like he's just tired of the political game in general, so he probably just said "gently caress it" and pardoned a bunch of people on his way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Loomer posted:

You'd think the GOP would oppose prison rape on the grounds that rape isn't family friendly, and also that the 'homosexuality' (ignoring the reality of contextual sexuality not necessarily reflecting ordinary orientation, likewise with non-consensual acts) is wrong.

There were actually some Freepers who used this exact logic to grudgingly admit that Obama was right for once in a broken clock sort of way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

If state prisons are all poo poo, which they certainly seem to be, and federal prisons are less poo poo, then why doesn't the federal government operate all prisons and simply bill the states for the cost of running them on a per-inmate basis?

The vast majority of crimes are state based and don't really have an interstate component (or whatever you can justify for federal intervention).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Which is why the state governments would pay the federal government for it. I'm not American, so I have no idea about the specifics of federal-state interaction, but this seems like it should be a possibility somehow.

As long as something takes place entirely within a state's borders the feds have no authority to touch it. That's why piecemeal legalization of marijuana and gay marriage are a thing here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soulcleaver posted:

Any politician who suggests treating prisoners like humans will be condemned as "soft on crime", an immediate death sentence to his career.

That's not really true anymore it's just that a lot of politicians have been in office since that was true and habits die hard.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tias posted:

I have to chime in, and say that the pictures and description Vahakyla offers cannot be called a "nordic" standard. In Denmark, most of our jails have tiny, lovely cells, and we are one of the world leaders in use of isolation.

While we have few really exemplary prisons that more resemble hotel, they are reserved for the richest, people who get caught for million dollar frauds and the like.

I'm also curious about the demographics of these prisons, I know for example that something like 70% of French prisoners are Muslim and their prisons aren't as nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lemniscate Blue posted:

But isn't even a "temporary" listing pretty permanent because of those organizations that copy it for "public awareness" and never take anybody off?

If you never move maybe, but if you're off the list you probably don't have to tell anyone when you change address.

• Locked thread