Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The New Black posted:

Yeah but thats sort of my point - I can see how his electorate loves him, but isn't there some kind of mechanism for dealing with this from higher up in the chain of command? Or is he answerable to nobody except the people in his county?

E: I mean, can't the FBI or the justice department do something?
E2: understand I don't really know much about the specifics of organisational heirarchy in US law enforcement.
Arpaio stonewalls the gently caress out of any investigations, to the point of serving warrants and arresting members of the judiciary and state apparatus to get them to stop investigating him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Soap Scum posted:

HidingFromGoro - or anyone else who might remember - I know that you posted in one of these topics previously a really great list of solutions that you thought could make the prison system a significantly better place. For example, one item on the list was having prisoners make phone calls to cancel credit cards, pay off debts, and make funeral arrangements if they were convicted of murder.
I vaguely remember the list, but I have to say something about that idea.

A trial for murder will take place long after the crime takes place, at which time the victim has long since had their funeral. While it seems like a good idea it just won't work in practice.

Unless of course someone comes forward right after the crime and confesses guilt, but even then I have my doubts that the victim's family wants anything to do with the confessed murderer.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I never read the list, but I assumed he was talking about if the person was a murderer and was sentenced to death In which case, doing all of those things makes a little more sense.
It makes sense, however trials that don't involve an immediate confession tend to take weeks to months, especially capital murder 1 cases where the death penalty comes into play. And I consider that a GOOD thing, that it takes time to make certain that the person accused of murder has been found guilty of it beyond a shadow of a doubt. However, the time taken to make certain that the person who committed a murder did so in such a way as to be killed by the state takes far more time than what it takes for the victim to be buried and all of the other very crappy end of life stuff would have already taken place.

I'm just saying that while it's a good idea, the "convict someone of murder" takes place on a longer timeline than "bury someone who was murdered" and doesn't take into account the victim's family reticence with having to do anything with those accused of murder. I say accused because the body will be dead in the ground (or as applies for cremation) long before a trial takes place (again, outside of direct confession).

I'm just saying it seems like a good idea until you take into account the other side and the variable of the family of the victim.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Also MCSO is organized crime funded by taxpayers. Just wanted to put this in a different post.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Bibles are allowed because
A) Jesus rules in the South
B) Denying religion to prisoners is about the only thing that will actually be stopped by the court system.

The rules may say "no staples or less than fully clothed women" but only Bibles will get through in practice. And the Bibles only get through because that's the one spot where the Prisons know they would lose the fight.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
OK, maybe I was too general with that statement. Denying Jesus and Christianity to prisoners will not fly in the South. Anything else can be denied for whatever BS reason comes to mind (National Security will be used to deny Korans) but when Bibles are donated to prisons they tend to be granted with the express permission of the Prison Chaplin or are donated by people who will fight hard in courts because they want to make sure that the courts do not deny Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

His Purple Majesty posted:

Which is why we need to make sure that all crimes are punished swiftly and harshly with out discrimination based on race or social class.
If at all possible, punishment should be handed out swiftly before a trial can even take place.

You have 10 seconds to comply.

• Locked thread