Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reading
Jul 27, 2013
Can anyone please talk about receiving letters while in prison (both local/state prisons and federal prison) and sending letters? Are manila envelopes allowed, even though they have a metal clasp in back? Are inmates restricted in the number of letters they can send? State vs. Federal rules? The only information online is a hodge podge of outdated or not useful information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Has anyone volunteered at a prison/jail?

reading fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 10, 2015

reading
Jul 27, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

What's always bothered me is that giving out sex offenses for minor stupid stuff like public urination gives actual bonafide sex offenders an "out" if word gets out that they are sex offenders. I knew two guys in college who were registered sex offenders and would tell people that, but that they were just caught peeing in an alley or something. I can't recall what their actual offenses were, but they were both much worse than that. Not saying it's right to force people to register or not, but the lie always bothered me.

Same thing with having 100,000+ people on the no-fly list / terrorism watch list. Makes the list completely worthless.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Prisoners working in a sales call center in AZ are paid $0.50/hr but have to pay the prison $400/month room and board, even though the state already pays $30,000+ to the prison per prisoner. What an awful country.

Does anyone think the popularity of "Orange is the new Black" may have had an impact that made the current bipartisan push (in the US) to draw down the prison population possible?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Obama's whitehouse is releasing 6000 prisoners over 3 days who have nonviolent drug convictions.
http://www.democracynow.org/2015/11/4/with_historic_release_of_drug_offenders

He's also "Banning the Box" to prevent employment forms for federal jobs from asking if someone has committed a felony. Unfortunately the example a poster above made of trying to work at McD's will still be legal.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wait, what? That's $80 a month, so are the prisoners just not paid (in which case why even bother pretending to give them a wage?), or do they rack up a debt of $320 a month? And would that debt carry over outside of prison, effectively loving over anyone released from prison?

In Oregon a prisoner can get paid as little as $23 a month for dangerous full-time work.

That helps put in to perspective the cost of things like letters (paper + envelope + stamp), phone calls which could cost as much as $4/min before the FCC started cracking down, and hygeine products.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

the great deceiver posted:

That's much better than the Feds. I made approximately $19 a month getting up at 3:30am every day to work in an industrial bakery. They were too cheap to even give us non-slip boots too.

I was in a couple different private prisons (CCA, MTC) and it's an amazing racket they've got going. Get the prisoners to do 99% of the labor on the prison grounds, pay them slave wages and then watch as all that money comes right back into the company store (commissary) to buy loving toothpaste, tuna fish, protein bars whatever.

I assume the reason prisoners don't just refuse to participate in their own oppression and not work is because they need the money, paltry as it is?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are actually a fair number of states that have the death penalty as an option but don't use it anymore. If memory serves relatively few states have outright removed it from the books as an option; most of the rest just don't kill anybody.

In MA, the majority of people in the state were adamantly against seeking the death penalty for Dzhokar Tsarnaev (one of the Boston bomber brothers) but the reason he got the death penalty is because it was a federal case and the feds like to swagger around throwing the book at absolutely everyone to please the lowest common denominator in the nation.

But I'm not sure if MA actually still has the death penalty or if they fully removed it.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Do any non-USA goons know where I can find info on writing to prisoners in the EU, in Africa, or in Asia? Looking to expand my pen pals and get more cultural exchange.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Ceiling fan posted:

Amnesty international has a large program for this. They can get you started with general letters and probably get you specific addresses.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/get-involved/write-for-rights/

Looks like this only happens in December, and that webpage is really confusing and gives me no way to start writing.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Democracy Now on Monday June 27 (I think) also interviewed him about the story.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

the great deceiver posted:

What I want to know however is what the Fed's stance on using for-profit correctional services to run their halfway houses is. I believe most of them are contracted out to GEO and the like. I was in one run by GEO and it was more degrading, humiliating and worthless than prison. I doubt these will be closed too as I don't think the BOP had the infrastructure to absorb all of the recently released inmates and halfway house time is mandatory in some cases.

You got released from prison and forced to go to a place worse than prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
By the way, a nationwide prisoner work strike has been called for September 9, 2016. That's the 45th anniversary of the Attica uprising.

Called by the IWW and other groups- it seems to have a lot of traction among prison abolitionists, activists, and others on the outside, but I've only read things from a scattering of people on the inside who support it. I don't know how widespread the knowledge of it or support of it are among the actual prison population. It is obviously a difficult thing to communicate to people on the inside who aren't aware of it.

• Locked thread