Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yes a basic income system would probably be the single best thing to reduce prison populations which, of course, is why it would never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fire posted:

Reading that, I really get the sense that lawyers and judges work under some kind of blue and orange morality that doesn't make a lick of sense to anyone outside of their community. He's innocent but he stays in jail. If he fights his conviction using the only tools at his disposal or tries to get paroled, he can't assert that he is innocent. Add to all of this all of the tools prosecutors have to lock people up for literally nothing. Like the ever popular "lying to investigators" or using interstate commerce for something.

It has nothing to do with morality. It's the fact that State/Federal Prosecutor's get credit for "wins." A win is ALWAYS when they get someone thrown in jail/prison. There is no case where a prosecutor is trying to prove innocence and no case where a prosecutor would recommend any course of action except jail time, unless jail time was not prescribed as one of the possible punishments.

An "ideal" judge must remain impartial to both the facts of the case, and the law as it is written. Guilt and Innocence are not decided by the judge (in most cases) so even if something is hosed up with the system, there isn't a lot a judge can do.

So where does that leave the unfortunate individual? Bureaucratic hell. In some cases they can pay a fine, but in many cases the things required of them are ridiculous or even unobtainable. If you are sentenced already there is most likely no path that you can take through the bureaucracy to get justice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

-Troika- posted:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120614/ARTICLES/120619789?tc=ar

65 year old veteran gets a 20 year sentence for firing a few shots into the ground. The prosecutor has the gall to APPEAL THE loving CASE when it gets overturned.

Good to know that the George Zimmerman prosecutor has found his claim to fame. What does a society do when everything about it includingespecially the citizenry are terrible and not worth saving?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anonumos posted:

Economic reality dictates that people will make the most rational choice available

This isn't the thread for this, but this quote right here is bullshit. People will make irrational choices, often against there own interests. Hell I do that all the time by staying up too late browsing these very forums.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

miscellaneous14 posted:

I wasn't sure if there's a thread more pertaining to crime and societal treatment of criminals in the first place (please let me know if there is one and I'll move this there), but I have a problem: an extremely right-wing old friend was going off about a news story concerning someone getting arrested for shooting a robber, and I commented on how lacking in morality you'd have to be to murder or attempt to murder someone just for taking physical objects from you.

Cue a tirade of typical "we must be hard on crime" rhetoric, including them (seriously, not kidding) saying that we would have a decreased crime rate if there was no punishment for shooting and killing a trespasser, and of course accusing me of abetting criminal behavior. I have literally asked this person "do you believe that people should have the right to murder someone to protect physical objects?" and they have basically said yes.

Is there anything more to say at this point, or is pointing out how completely morally-bankrupt that kind of perspective is the best I can do?

This is certainly not the thread for this, but I'll just say that self-defense, or defense of property is not meant to be a punitive measure, but a preventative one. Not necessarily as a deterrent, but as literally preventing loss of property/life on the victims part.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Absolutely. Even if our prison/justice system was perfect, I would still stipulate that minimum wage be paid to prisoners, either to them indirectly, or just as a "tax" that the prison has to pay to compete in the labor market.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also normal rodeo's have the same event. The problem is the coercion that the prison has over the prisoners.

There is nothing outlandish about the rodeo as it exists, it's pretty normal fare for a rodeo, the problem comes from the "willingness" of the participates.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LP97S posted:

The next saddest thing about that chart is realizing with those sentencing standards and better wrongful imprisonment compensation Texas is better than California :staredog:.

This is only surprising to people who engage in tribalism.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

Eh, I don't think so. If you look at many aspects of California law as they regard the poor (eligibility for SNAP benefits and tenant protection laws to name two significant ones) California is significantly more poor-friendly than, say, a state like Texas which asset tests for SNAP benefits, does not have a SNAP-like program for undocumented immigrants, and has virtually no protection for renters. Other aspects like the police and prison system are likely equally as bad in both states.

The point is painting with a broad brush and saying "the south is so bad" or "america is so bad" or "new york is so bad" is obfuscating the details with the intent to blind yourself and not have to acknowledge systemic problems. New York is considered one of the best ciites, and yet the NYPD has a huge number of problems in fact they are often ranked as one of the worst departments in the country.

Brushing that off and saying "But New York is so great" or "But Florida is so much worse" is stupid, even if the claim is technically true. Texas is great for Gun Rights for example, whereas New York State has a "states rights" chip on it's shoulder.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

We like to make it as certain as possible that crime will be one of the few realistic options available to you once you've been inside.

While I agree I'm not sure how apt an analogy that is...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Killmaster posted:

Some heartening news from VA:

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/article/In-Va-bid-to-restore-rights-to-nonviolent-felons-4666182.php

Interesting to see this from a Republican governor in Virginia of all places. Anyone familiar with the politics of this?

Nice. A good start.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why do people appeal to the federal government as a solution, when the fact that the very policies the federal government has passed has created the problem in the first place? Is it because the alternative is too unbearable?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
When the federal government allowed state/local municipalities to keep the money/assets they seized from drug busts, drug busts increased tremendously. Basically the federal government directly supports the states war on drugs, and implicitly causes all the abuses of the justice system therein.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You really don't need to plant guns/drugs on people anymore. Most people can be arrested and imprisoned for pretty much anything and even if the charges are eventually dropped you can severely disrupt their life and cause them significant economic burden effortlessly if you are part of the judiciary.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eletriarnation posted:

Granted, the narrator was a dumbass and I missed the full extent of that. The cops were right to react quickly to tell him to get out of the way, and to be irritated when he didn't. I just don't think that the way they treated him after he was out of the way was productive or warranted at all.

Absolutely. But I have a feeling that even if were in a Just World, with a perfectly benevolent and reasonable police force, that guy would still be writing that article with an entitled attitude and wondering why the rules still apply to him.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

Sorry to disappoint, but from that article:

Hard hitting, decisive action, from the federal government.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Uh, what? Zimmerman didn't shoot a kid?

Silly leftist, I guess you forgot what the trial was actually about (hint it wasn't racism).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Prison sentences are both too long, and too common. I guess this is a controversial opinion for most of the US public.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

His Purple Majesty posted:

Which is why we need to make sure that all crimes are punished swiftly and harshly with out discrimination based on race or social class.

Why "harshly?"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Woozy posted:

Judges are loving worse than prosecutors, even. If this woman believed sincerely that anyone she sentenced to prison would be raped or assaulted she has every moral obligation to stop being a rather large cog in the carceral machine and find a new line of work. You don't get to both be a sanctimonious idiot and draw a paycheck sending human beings to a loving rape dungeon.

If she is reluctant to send people to prison because of the real possibility of them being raped, she is actually in perfect spot to reduce that outcome. Judges have wide latitude in many sentencing decisions. Additionally they can dismiss prosecutor cases as without merit if the prosecutors or the police are being "overzealous."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Woozy posted:

lol yea okay

They can, and in that specific case, she did. Probation vs Prison so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

joat mon posted:

Discretion in sentencing, yes.
But,
, cite?

http://www.nolo.com/dictionary/dismissal-with-prejudice-term.html

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/dismissal

e: I mean there has to be some justification as a judge can't stonewall a law they disagree with, but they DO act as an important safeguard against police misconduct, that is sadly under utilized.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread