Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/ is an excellent site for drug knowledge.

What is interesting is how sentencing for drug charges is, on average, only a year less than violent crimes.

You could probably rape someone and get less time than some drug charges.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/node/63

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Lets not forget that prison serves as a means of disenfranchisement since people on probation or parole are often forbidden from voting except after undergoing some restorative process or other waiting period.

This was a huge loving deal in 2000 since Florida has about a million ex-cons and at the time all ex-cons were barred from voting. Gore would have probably won since the margin was only 500 votes had they not been permanently disenfranchised.

Florida has since changed their policy.

Oh and basically 13% of black men can't vote due to the prison system and about 5 million Americans total.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I dont know how old your dad is, but guessing I still have no idea how people grow up through Vietnam, Nixon, and all the hosed up poo poo the CIA and Reagan did and actually believe the system "works".

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Only people who never fight in wars or risk their lives for anything believe that war works. Condolences.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yet another factor in the rising prison population is the increase in imprisonment of those with untreated mental illnesses.

Instead of care we just lock them up.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

You could probably get similar results just by comparing prison systems in the United States with Western Europe/Scandinavia and their recidivism rates.

Its possible France has lovely prisons for the immigrants they hate on par with American black plantation prisons.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Fire posted:

In the youtube documentary about kids being sentenced to death, the pinhead defending it pointed to scripture as his primary motivation.

Thats an even larger problem with American Bible thumpers.

They try to quote an ancient writing as law but refuse to accept all the logical inconsistencies.

You know if the Bible was consistent as far as punishment and life goes you could at least accept their stance even if its stupid. But the fact is you have to cherry pick to use scripture for anything.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

Yep. It's unnecessary to do all these fancy experimental prisons when other countries don't have near the problems we do, though they also don't have the centuries of institutionalized racism.

Sure they do. Thats why they had all those World Wars and poo poo.

But seriously there is plenty of racism in Europe, though its more ethnically based than simply the color of your skin.

French-Algerians and whatnot.

EDIT: Hell its the year 2010 and random enclaves in the Balkans still cant play nice together.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

I knew this would be a response to that post, but I still stand by it. I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist in those countries. I'm saying that it's not as pervasive and institutionalized as it is in the US.

The US is the one that is incarcerating more people than anyone ever.

Racism is still a huge problem. And while the prison system in the US system holds more minorities than whites, I think that has to do with the long standing poor economic treatment of nonwhites.

There has been a resurgence in ethnic bias and racism in recent years actually

http://www.globalissues.org/article/165/racism#RacisminEurope

For example

quote:

Greece has one of the worst records in the European Union for racism against ethnic minorities, according to the BBC. Anti-immigrant sentiment has long been high, especially against ethnic Albanians, who form the largest minority. Until the 1990s, the BBC notes, Greece had been an extremely homogenous society. With the fall of communism many immigrants from Eastern Europe came to Greece. Albanians especially have been targetted by a lot of racist sentiment. Some hostage taking by a few Albanians in recent years has not helped the situation.

Europe hates the Balkans and black people still and it leads to more outward violence and riots than it does in the US.

I think both the US and Europe are hard to compare since they have different histories and different ways of institutionalizing their bias. US bias is more homogeneous in implementation but Europe still has just as much. Look at what towns in Italy are doing and how politicians are much more openly racist than any in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

haterade posted:

The US black incarceration rate is higher than that of apartheid South Africa. Four times higher.

and a document http://www.aclu.org/FilesPDFs/ACF4F34.pdf

Was Apartheid known for its prisons especially? I mean you dont need prisons when you just segregate the population and make society your prison anyway.

• Locked thread