Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

21stCentury posted:

Thanks to the GBS Prison thread, I got interested in the whole Criminal Justice System issue. Since then, i often steer the conversation when i talk to my dad about the Criminal Justice System. We live in Canada, but it's no reason not to talk about America. Especially when every 2 week or so, there's something in the news that's great proof of how ridiculous punishment-based Criminal Justice is.

[...]

When I gave him the statistics, the fact that 1% of Americans are behind bars, that 25% of people behind bars are Americans, that 1 in 31 adults are under the eye of the department of Corrections, he was quick to tell me how skeptical he was.

To him, it was impossible that America could have a recidivism rate around 50%, house 25% of the world's inmates and that the incarceration rates are growing, it made no sense to him that so many Americans were behind bars and he was quick to point that it was impossible, they'd run out of people to put behind bars.

I had to show him actual graphs and sources before he believed me.

Not sure if i completely changed his mind, when i talk to him about it, he usually gets a bit grumpy. i guess it's natural, he actually wrote letters to political prisoners, donated to Amnesty international, when he was younger. Like many others, he just turns around.

I think this thread and the ones before really did help change at least 2 minds, mine and my dad's. Keep it up.

Those of us who were actually incarcerated at some point tend to have a different viewpoint. That's one reason why some people try to make sure we're disenfranchised. But, money talks and bullshit walks: I vote with my wallet now a lot more than I used to when I was younger.

Still, keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

Fire posted:

I thought Dave Chappelle did it best when he did a skit where for one day, the criminal justice system worked in reverse. Institutional crimes were treated like street crimes and street crimes were treated like institutional crimes. While, he loses some points by making it a racial thing, because some white redneck DUI is going to get similar treatment, I think the skit does a good job of consciousness raising. How is Goldman-Sachs any less destructive than a small time coke dealer?

I like that one, too. Look for Dave Chappelle + "Law and Order" as it's apparently a lampoon of that TV show. I didn't even realize that when I saw the skit since I never watch cop shows.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

HidingFromGoro posted:

A lot of people have accused me of hyperbole, and maybe they're right.

But this poo poo- this Machine- affects you. Yeah you, the Something Awful Debate & Discussion reader- YOU. That money It's gobbling up? Your tax money. The Constitutional rights It erodes or shits on entirely? Your rights. The souls It feeds on? Your neighbors, co-workers, valet drivers; your brother or cousin or son. That law enforcement budget getting stretched with paying out settlements and corrupt privatization contracts? That's less budget to investigate or prevent crimes against you. That state people ridicule? Your state. Wrong side of the tracks? Your side. That politician who got into office and is screwing you over? Your politician. That guy who got raped or otherwise abused when he was in prison, thanks to inept, overworked, or nonexistent guards; and who's pissed the gently caress off at the whole world, and ready to explode? He's working at your gas station, or grocery store, or mechanic- you see him every day, whether you know it or not. Your kids see him every day, too.

No, they're wrong. You've hit the nail on the head. Many don't like to read or hear things like this. Anyone who's ever had a taste of it wouldn't accuse you of hyperbole at all, even if they might nit pick over some details.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

HidingFromGoro posted:

It's not just Latinos who have reason to dislike Brewer- after all, she canceled S-CHIP leaving 47,000 low-income kids without medical care, and costing the state hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding. She's also kicking 310,000 people off of Medicaid, and still more cuts are on the way, too.

Hey it was either that or enact a one-cent sales tax.

I'm not joking, that's how we roll in Arizona.

Actually, we could raise other taxes here. However, the Republicans hold their power largely as a result of keeping taxes low. Since they are firmly in control of both the governorship and the legislature, they'd have to take the rap for raising any taxes to balance the budget. So, they won't go there. Note how they put the current sales tax increase on the ballot so they wouldn't have to take direct responsibility even for that come next election.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

PT6A posted:

[...]
I don't understand why people are so quick to jump on criminals and defense attorneys when they get off on technicalities. Those technicalities are a very important part of a functioning judicial system, and if there's anyone to be mad at, be mad at the people behaving inappropriately and therefore allowing it to happen: the investigators and prosecutors.

Ever notice how relatively little people are upset by prosecutorial misconduct? This is the other side of the coin. Despite having the deck stacked in their favor, prosecutors get relatively little criticism for blatant misconduct in cases.

Same goes for cops, especially undercover cops. One of the things that has always bothered me about undercover cops is that it's practically a given that they lie as a matter of course to targets and their associates. They are QED habitual liars, one might argue pathological liars. Yet the prosecutors use their testimony to build cases. Juries just don't seem to care that they are taking the testimony of professional, habitual liars seriously. I know it happens, but I just can't wrap my mind around that level of credulity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

Mister Macys posted:

Wait a minute, if Arizona is one of the most broke states in the Union, and if prisons are paid with tax bucks, how the hell is that bill getting any traction?
[...]

Corruption is the key to the situation here. The state legislature here is overwhelmingly Republican, so all the lobbyists need to do is influence the Republicans. They do this most blatantly. The private prison business actually wrote our SB1070 immigration law. They also bankroll a lot of political campaigns. Our electorate as a group is so stupid, so ignorant, they don't even care.

• Locked thread