Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
My state is opting out of the prison rape law.
I hope the feds smash them.

Several states are refusing to comply with a federal law designed to reduce sexual assaults in prison, with governors criticizing the decade-old law as counterproductive and too expensive to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Esmerelda posted:

A friend of mine has told me stories about the showers at Walla Walla here in Washington. It involves a lot of avoiding men urinating on you from a distance, trying not to touch other guys while naked and the lines for the showers being definitely based on color and affiliation. It sounds terrible but, according to him at least, actual prison is better than county jail for an extended period of time.

Everything I have read has made the point that county jail is often worse than prison. This obviously depends upon the county and the jail, but suicide, assault and rape are often almost as prevalent in jail as they are in prison. If we ignore for a moment that no one should be assaulted, ever; we have to recognize that county jail should be a safe place. It isn't. Our entire system is a loving disaster, top to bottom. The public seems to be ok with this, because they don't believe they will ever be arrested. Maybe they won't, but their kids or their nieces and nephews might; their grand-kids might.
Going to jail for a stupid reason like not renewing your license or having a joint, etc; is not a reason to be harassed and assaulted or raped. Obviously there is no reason to be assaulted or raped, but the fact that people going to jail for stupid misdemeanor poo poo face these kinds of risks absolutely floors me. I don't accept this type of social justice for felons in prison either, but come loving on, county jail? Do we hate each other that much in our country that we are willing to turn a blind eye to this sort of brutality?
Hah, who am I kidding, we loving celebrate it and get off on it. gently caress you America, you are some sick loving people.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 22, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I wonder if there's anything different about America that makes its citizens more reluctant to extend funding for disenfranchised people

Exceptionalism.

Tias posted:

And as I said, the pictures you show are not representative of the system. I can only speak for Sjælland, but here you serve in concrete and brick shitholes with tiny cells and dilapedated commons. I understand that it's better elsewhere, but we still have pretty "punishing" surroundings.

Even the worst of ours seems better than the US, I will readily concede that!

We have a lot of people in the shoe, or isolated confinement. We aren't better by far.
It doesn't matter how nice your surroundings are, if you are in isolation, you are going crazy.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 2, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

the great deceiver posted:

Yeah the main area of the justice system where polygraphs are used are Law & Order re-runs

That is only because when local law enforcement agencies started to use them the Federal Justice system laughed and said no loving way.

• Locked thread