Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falcon2424
May 2, 2005

I'm glad that this was re-posted.

This podcast just did a good interview about a program that was using liberal arts instruction to improve prisoner outcomes. http://doubtreligion.blogspot.com/2010/07/episode-71-reason-behind-bars.html

Apparently, stoic philosophy is really popular among inmates.

Of course, it's not entirely 'good' news since the program was canceled for being too effective. But, still, it's a bit less soul-crushing than a lot of other stuff out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

angry armadillo posted:

I didn't ever say don't feed or shelter convicts.

I think my argument comes down to freedom > shelter, whereas you think the opposite.

You have a lot of faith in rehabilitation to think that someone who opts to commit crimes and opts to go to prison could come out wanting to contribute to society.

If people are committing crimes to go to prison, then it seems like it would be cheaper all around to just pay them to not commit crimes. Prison-level accommodations would be quite cheap if we didn't need to worry about the guards and security and stuff.

We could probably even find some work for these people to do. We could even set it up like the army where people go in and get their needs more or less taken care of. Except, instead of blowing stuff up, they'd be doing infrastructure-development and renewal projects.

• Locked thread