Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Doesn't that make anybody who uses MPC, VLC, or any other free player to play DVDs a felon? I thought the DVD functionality in apps like that were all based on breaking encryption because those projects, being free apps, can't afford a license for DVD encryption.

Yep! Sleep well tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ClemenSalad posted:

Or the much simpler and logical answer to your mass evidence planting conspiracy theory is that prior to the invention of advanced forensics the gold standard of evidence was much lower than in the past.

Yeah, generally the cop's word was enough.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Good news from the FCC, they're capping charges for inmate phone calls. In general, inmates won't have to pay more than .25 per minute. Luckily for my company that's about what we charged anyways so we won't be as hard hit as the companies listed in the article will be. For purely selfish reason, that also means they'll have to compete based on factors other than the level of kickbacks to the sheriff.
And if you've never made a prison phone call before, they can get very pricey:

quote:

A 15-minute long-distance interstate collect call by a Mississippi inmate costs $14.55, while the same call by a Texas inmate costs $6.45, a 2011 Government Accountability Office study found. A Prison Legal News survey found Georgia inmates paying $17 for a 15-minute call.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

I'd imagine there's an answer to this that doesn't involve "mental torture of already mentally ill people".

Naw, then we'd have to admit we've been doing it wrong and look at other countries for solutions they've found to work well. That's just not American!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

cafel posted:

gently caress, why don't we just grind up prisoners and sell the remains to dog food companies? It'll save money and they probably deserve it anyway.

They make much, much less money off them that way. Those small town jails demand insane kickbacks from vendors. These past few months, some have started demanding a 100% kickback, that is, they want the entirety of what we're charging the inmate minus anything we can call a fee and not part of the service we're providing.
Ironically, the private prisons we've dealt with don't want kickbacks because their contract says that money goes to the state and they get a flat per bed fee no matter the amount of money the vendors bring in.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Well this certainly is interesting

quote:

Prison Legal News argued in its lawsuit: ""Incarceration is inherently a power of government. By using public money to perform a public function, CCA is a governmental body" for purposes of the Texas Public Information Act.
Judge Charles Ramsay agreed, in a 1-page order granting summary judgment.
Wonder if the local alt weeklies that have been going after GEOCARE will start filing PIA requests now. That will be fun to get that stuff out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Cold and Ugly posted:

How weird. I wonder how they come up with that huge implementation figure. Because from the enforcement side, it just seems to be an annual exhortation during training that was taking place anyway to recognize signs of sexual abuse and to treat it professionally and how to behave when it's brought to your attention, and I guess there's an 800 number that's posted in all the housing units that inmates can call to report it. But that, and the odd rape kit and psych visit can't possibly be that expensive.

I know we've implemented the PREA stuff in our phone systems regardless of what the jail/prison wants because it's a federal requirement. Now if their staff ignore the reports from the inmates, that's on them, but they can't tell us to turn it off.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

klen dool posted:

I am a white middle aged man, no children, good desk job in tech. The closet I've been to gaol is visiting my brother who was in there for 4 years (out in 2) for importing a piddly $100,000 worth of mdma so I am pretty naive, so I am sorry if this question is offensive or insensitive.

How close is the portrayal of prison life and experiences in "orange is the new black" to reality? I don;t care how close the story is the the real ladies books yet - and I haven't watched all episodes yet (up to second season) so spoilers are to be avoided but there seems to be a lot of themes in that show that I would expect - like utter boredom leading to stuff like having pet roaches, utter isolation from the outside world except on very carefully organised times.

Here's a series of articles from a guy who's friend spent time in a woman's prison.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Here's a fun article about how much money it costs / is to be made from giving inmates money.

Spoiler: A lot.

quote:

Shapiro says he prefers the term “commission” because “the word kickback has a negative connotation, and it seems like some person is making that money and pocketing it and buying a Chevrolet or something, when in fact it’s going to use for the benefit of inmates — basketball hoops, volleyball, whatever.”

This is the best quote since everyone in this business knows what those checks the sheriff gets are yet no one can ever say out loud, it's always commissions or donations or whatever. Ironically one of the private prisons we're the vendor for doesn't care about commissions since they wouldn't get to keep the money and so they just want someone that doesn't generate inmate complaints.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Zesty Mordant posted:

How thick do people have to be to not understand that even in that Norwegian prison will all its (helpful, rehabilitative) amenities, the inmates have still been temporarily deprived of one of the most basic human rights? Does Conway not value Liberty?

Not many people do, if conversations with my coworkers are any indication. They see it like a staycation* instead of what it really is.

Actual quote: We've lost enough freedoms to Obama, what's the difference

duz posted:

This is the best quote since everyone in this business knows what those checks the sheriff gets are yet no one can ever say out loud, it's always commissions or donations or whatever. Ironically one of the private prisons we're the vendor for doesn't care about commissions since they wouldn't get to keep the money and so they just want someone that doesn't generate inmate complaints.

Follow up to this, the FCC put out notice they're going to ban commissions, in the phone sphere at least since that's their purview. Since the commissions were demanded to make up for falling tax revenue, what ends up happening depends on how they define commissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

SumYungGui posted:

If you REALLY want to burst a blood vessel look into how much prisoners are charged for phone calls. Ya know, those people who spend years upon years isolated from contact with the outside? Well that means there's a demand so the glorious free market has decided that just offering phones to use will not do. No sir that poo poo has to be subcontracted out by the (for profit) prison to a third party that totally pinky swears they won't ever possibly price gouge the ever living gently caress out of people who have no choice in service providers, high desire to use it and are social punching bags to poo poo on and not care about. Fortunately the invisible hand of the free market comes to the rescue with such fantastic services as allowing the family to put money into an account for that inmate to use to call them. Note I did not say "allows them to pay for the phone calls" and said it goes into an account. Let your imagination run wild with every dirty, bullshit trick accounting firms use on credit and debit cards. Go on, you can do it.

Hey, that's me!
Our competitors are all owned by venture capitalists while we're privately owned so we actually try to show off that we're not charging nearly as many fees as our competitors, it doesn't matter to some sheriffs. Also, no one ever promised not to price gouge, in fact some sheriffs demand it since their other funding sources (tax revenues) are down.
I'm glad the FCC is cracking down, it's certainly needed.

• Locked thread