Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I know most people don't consider it kosher to think someone is morally abhorrent for their political beliefs/opinions, but I can't help but think that people who can't stand the idea of prisoners experiencing anything other than suffering (because they're SUBHUMAN MONSTERS! For some reason I hear "subhuman" a lot when discussing criminals) are flat out immoral to the point where I wouldn't want to associate with them.

Come to think of it, I feel this way about anyone who prioritizes the suffering of "wrong-doers" above aiding people in need. This is why, even though I act polite/normal, I just can't be friends or respect someone with "standard" conservative views (you'll find that these skewed priorities shape nearly all conservative policies/opinions; it's really uncanny). Of course, this isn't to say that liberals believe the "right" things; in a way, they're even more harmful due to their implicit acceptance of many supply-side-ish economic ideas. But, in general, they at least intend to help people in need and make it a higher priority than punishing "subhuman scum." It just seems to go beyond a mere "difference in approach to solving the same problems." If someone says something about the poor being lazy*, for example, I don't think of it much differently than someone saying something blatantly racist.

As a side note, one of the reasons I read this forum is that people like that sociopath advocating mass-execution of all criminals are banned. The same generally goes for most posters with irredeemably stupid beliefs.

It seems like these hyper-(pseudo)rational views usually come from people with poor social skills/lack of social integration. Not sure why that is; maybe to separate themselves as being somehow superior/more intelligent?

* This agrees with what I mentioned; the top priority is to ensure lazy/bad people don't receive aid, rather than ensuring people in need do receive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I think this is the wrong way to look at it. The publics ideology is just as much a slave to the material conditions of the day as the prisoners in the system. When a person sees millions of people going away to rape/slavery camp their brain has basically two options to make sense of the situation: These people are inhuman monsters who deserve it or my entire society is irredeemably broken. In order to function in normal society a person can't go down that rabbit hole.

This comes down to more than ignorance, however. Someone thinking that prisoners do deserve their treatment might just be ignorant. But someone who explicitly says that they would rather bad people be punished than good people be helped is expressing a pretty straightforward moral stance. There's no information that can change their mind, because it's a question of values.

I'm also aware that these values as passed down from parents/community to children. It's not like rural, conservative areas have a gene that makes them think this way. But it doesn't change the fact that their values are hosed up, and you can't change what amounts to a personal preference with facts. You can give as many facts as you want about our current system unnecessarily punishing many innocent people, but their very value system makes them not care much. The only thing I can think of that might change their mind is giving negative reinforcement, like one would with someone expressing racist views.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cold and Ugly posted:

I mean, I can't think of much that would be worse than being locked in an 8 x 6 box with a dude who is capable of and willing to rape you.

It's nuts that they apparently take addicts and let them withdraw in prison. Being in the situation you describe while going through withdrawal would be hell on earth. It's no wonder they have to actively prevent people from committing suicide.

Main Paineframe posted:

Not just the right! When someone is accused of a vile enough crime, even many self-proclaimed liberals will start crying for blood and vengeance.

My dad is like this (and I think many other people are too). They don't really hold consistent political views; what they believe can wildly vary depending upon whether they were just listening to a persuasive speaker or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Al Kiyan posted:

Even though I was already totally open and honest with my therapist (including times I relapsed a bit in therapy and, for instance, watched one of the gay & lesbian movies on netflix specifically for the sex scenes, yes that's a relapse for me!)

If you don't mind me asking, why is that considered a relapse?

By the way, thank you for your posts. They've been very interesting and I'm happy that it sounds like your life is improving. While I've never had any issues with the law, I suffer from opiate addiction (though the specific thing I take is actually legal) and can sympathize with people suffering from any sort of addiction/compulsion.

• Locked thread