Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PT6A posted:

I disagree on the "public executions" part, but it's really hard to argue with the concept that corporal punishment that didn't inflict lasting injury would be better than the system currently in place in the US. Granted, there are many, many better options than both, but if we're just comparing the two... well, it's impossible to not reach a very uncomfortable conclusion, in my opinion.

It's not really all that uncomfortable to me, just weird - ask anyone if they'd rather spend a year in a US jail or get 10 lashes. Personally I would expect a near unanimous result. I'm not sure where the line would have to be where people start choosing jail. Presuming that a doctor would oversee it and stop it if it became life threatening, I would genuinely support prisoners being given the choice between lashes and the current system, it'd be a strict improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

nm posted:

Don't think lie detectors are admissable in any state.
They are used in pre-screening for government jobs, which is pretty bizarre. Tax dollars pay for a lot of lie detectors.

The most offensive thing to me is the guy who was imprisoned for teaching people how to beat them:
http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/indiana-man-gets-8-months-for-lie-detector-fraud/

• Locked thread