Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
what the guild NEEDS to do is recruit a drat Stoneward to main tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ojjeorago posted:

I heard they're nerfing Bondsmiths for being too OP in 5.0.

I played against a Bondsmith player once and they were absolutely hacking the game.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

I'm thinking about kicking the Truthwatchers out of my raid group

nice guys and all but I gotta keep up with the double Windrunner/Edgedancer meta, we're trying to world-first Odium

<:mad:>

Let's see you do it without the Odium debuff from Sja-Anat enlightened future sight

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DarkHorse posted:

<:mad:>

Let's see you do it without the Odium debuff from Sja-Anat enlightened future sight
I can mitigate that because my healers have a 120% evasion rate, the sims don't lie

sorry you rolled bad oaths I guess

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Getting sent to Vorin jail for future prediction (running simulations to see if this new gear is an upgrade)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
In the way James Cameron clearly wishes he was a fish, Brandon Sanderson very obviously wants to be a bird.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Waiting for the character who tries to optimize oaths for the most powers.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Anyone done Way of Kings Prime?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

81sidewinder posted:

Anyone done Way of Kings Prime?
I've read it. It's an interesting curiosity. Proto-Kaladin sucks out loud, Renarin is unrecognizable, proto-Shallan has an even worse time of it and Taravangian is an even more despicable motherfucker, and Jasnah has a romance arc. It's odd.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want to talk about Investiture and Identity

(Full Cosmere spoilers)
Can people from different systems use different investitures? Or are they stuck with the investiture they're "keyed" to?

This comes up because I was thinking about Vasher on Roshar. Can he pull Stormlight in place of Breaths? Or does only Nalthis/Endowment Investiture count for his needs?

Could a Mistborn use Stormlight? or do they need Investiture that is Ruin/Preservation/Harmony based?

I know that Scadrians can't use Investiture that is locked to the Identity of others, but something like Stormlight doesn't seem locked to individuals in the way that Scadrial and Nalthis Investiture is.

Also there is the Nightblood question - Nightblood doesn't seem to mind where he pulls Investiture, as long as he gets to guzzle it up.

In The Lost Metal, the Ghostbloods had a stock of pure, un-keyed Investiture - which makes me think that every System's Investiture is locked to the Identity of natives of that system.

But then the question is - how the gently caress do you get pure Investiture?

Granted, I'm only early in Oathbringer right now, so maybe I get some answers later in this book or in RoW.

Reallly enjoying Oathbringer btw, though I think the Part 1 Epigraphs are super loving weak in the same way they were in Well of Ascension.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I forget the exact answers (and when they come, and which ones they are…) but Sanderson has absolutely given thought to the questions you’re asking. Keep reading Cosmere books and you’ll get some of the information you’re wondering about.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This is a Word of Brandon from 2015, concerning (WoR level spoilers I guess?) your first question

quote:

ZenBossanova (paraphrased)
Can Vasher use Stormlight to Awaken things?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)
No, all it does is keep him alive. But he has tried and has not figured out how to Awaken things.

Re: Allomancy.

There's a few different WoBs from a few years ago that basically say an Allomancer could burn metal found on Roshar with no problem, but it would take some effort to convert other forms of investiture (including Stormlight).

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 20, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

This is a Word of Brandon from 2015, concerning (WoR level spoilers I guess?) your first question

Ah. Interesting. So a Returned can use any Investiture for life energy but not for application. I wonder if Brandon is going with an idea that "someone that can burn investiture to keep themselves alive will always be able to access it, no matter the origin, but the intelligent application of Investiture is what requires an Identity lock or something like that.

I don't doubt that Brandon has this all meticulously planned out and I'm excited to see how aspects start to overlap. (I still need to get around to The Sunlit Man too!)

With Stormlight 5 coming out this year, it really feels like we're reaching the "mid-point" of the Cosmere. I suspect his novels over the next couple decades will be much harder to recommend as a "start with this one."

I remember on his podcast a couple years ago he mentioned that he wants to be fully "finished" with the Cosmere by the time he's GRRM's age (which was roughly 70 at the time). So we likely have another 20-25 years of Cosmere books.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. Interesting. So a Returned can use any Investiture for life energy but not for application. I wonder if Brandon is going with an idea that "someone that can burn investiture to keep themselves alive will always be able to access it, no matter the origin, but the intelligent application of Investiture is what requires an Identity lock or something like that.

caveat though i think that wob is specifically about vasher alone, who is a very clever and cosmere-savvy immortal wizard that's spent a long time on a planet with another magic system and studied it extensively (including, you know, making an eldritch abomination of a sword while trying to copy shardblades). i don't think it's necessarily easy or common knowledge

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 20, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Re: Allomancy.

There's a few different WoBs from a few years ago that basically say an Allomancer could burn metal found on Roshar with no problem, but it would take some effort to convert other forms of investiture (including Stormlight).

Allomancy has always been an interesting one and has kind of stood out to me. Allomancy feels like the only ability that requires a reagent. Breath and Stormlight are things you just have. Same with Elantris powers - whatever they're called. But for Allomancy, it feels like any Mistborn "has" the power, but it requires metal for activation.

Though, this feels like Mistborn would be far far far more powerful than Radiants if only because of the mobility. An Allomancer can go to any world and grab some metals and operate at full power. Radiants, once they leave Roshar, better have a backpack full of Spheres and once those are Dun, WHELP.

This also makes me wonder about Elantrians. Is there an "fuel" to their power? I mean, they're linked to the Dor, but does that mean they're useless outside of Sel? We had Shai show up in The Lost Metal. I forget if she could just freely use her stamps or if she was chugging investiture or something.

eke out posted:

caveat though i think that wob is specifically about vasher alone

That makes sense. If anyone would figure it out, he would.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Allomancy has always been an interesting one and has kind of stood out to me. Allomancy feels like the only ability that requires a reagent. Breath and Stormlight are things you just have. Same with Elantris powers - whatever they're called. But for Allomancy, it feels like any Mistborn "has" the power, but it requires metal for activation.

Though, this feels like Mistborn would be far far far more powerful than Radiants if only because of the mobility. An Allomancer can go to any world and grab some metals and operate at full power. Radiants, once they leave Roshar, better have a backpack full of Spheres and once those are Dun, WHELP.

This also makes me wonder about Elantrians. Is there an "fuel" to their power? I mean, they're linked to the Dor, but does that mean they're useless outside of Sel? We had Shai show up in The Lost Metal. I forget if she could just freely use her stamps or if she was chugging investiture or something.

Talk about what Dor is Dor is just pure liquid investiture, you can literally stuff it in jars and transport it around

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Talk about what Dor is Dor is just pure liquid investiture, you can literally stuff it in jars and transport it around

But it should still only be accessible to people from Sel. A Radiant couldn't use it to fuel their surges. A Nalthian couldn't use it for Breath. While it Sel's personal Investiture bank, it's still locked to those residents - or at least I would assume as such.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I want to talk about Investiture and Identity

(Full Cosmere spoilers)
Can people from different systems use different investitures? Or are they stuck with the investiture they're "keyed" to?
Okay, full Cosmere spoilers, including books you haven't read: I think the answer is "they're stuck with whatever abilities they've got -- a Knight Radiant on Scadrial couldn't start burning metals -- but bottom line is that Investiture is Investiture, regardless of the form it takes, and you can use whatever's local to power your own poo poo, especially if you can free it from whatever's storing it and get at the raw stuff. Hell, this is the Ghostbloods' stated goal; get unkeyed Investiture they can take wherever. And we see from their specific example again that you can do Aether and Dor poo poo just fine on Scadrial, and of course there is Hoid, whose personal mission does seem to literally be "become empowered in every magic system in the galaxy". And there's also the far-future stuff, where apparently everyone Awakens their poo poo to a degree just as a matter of course because why wouldn't you dump some Investiture into your laptop and make an AI.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

But it should still only be accessible to people from Sel. A Radiant couldn't use it to fuel their surges. A Nalthian couldn't use it for Breath. While it Sel's personal Investiture bank, it's still locked to those residents - or at least I would assume as such.

Lots of WoB talk about Dor with vague hints from later in the series. Dor is special because it is "unkeyed" meaning anyone can use it. It's the leftover "bodies" of Devotion and Dominion after they were shattered by Odium. Retrieving it is difficult due to reasons not super explained thus making it highly valuable.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Lots of WoB talk about Dor with vague hints from later in the series. Dor is special because it is "unkeyed" meaning anyone can use it. It's the leftover "bodies" of Devotion and Dominion after they were shattered by Odium. Retrieving it is difficult due to reasons not super explained thus making it highly valuable.

yeah iirc i believe the explanation is that the cognitive realm where Dominion and Devotion died is like, literally plasma or some other equally fundamentally dangerous poo poo

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think Dor is also strongly Connected to the physical planet, which is why all the magic systems there need the literal shape of the land they come from to work.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Oooh. Now that's interesting.

I wonder how Investiture is handled with the law of Conservation of Energy - or if that is applicable. Do Shards have unlimited Investiture? Do the constantly self-generate more Investiture? What happens to Stormlight when it is used? Does it return to Roshar for recycling? What about when Nightlbood is burning through Investiture? Does it disappear for ever? Do these questions even matter?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Elantrians (and Selish magic in general) has a strong connection to location due to the combined effects of Devotion and Dominion. (Tress, Lost Metal spoilers) In Tress it's revealed the Elantrian's spaceship has a map of Elantris engraved on the floor, and in Lost Metal when Wan ShaiLu Forges herself into an Elantrian with her soulstamp she has to draw a map in the dirt before she starts casting. She uses the jar of distilled Dor to fuel the Forgery, but can unlock the rest using her Connection with Elantris through the map.

So like everything in Sanderson, there are limitations and there are workarounds.

Mordiceius posted:

Oooh. Now that's interesting.

I wonder how Investiture is handled with the law of Conservation of Energy - or if that is applicable. Do Shards have unlimited Investiture? Do the constantly self-generate more Investiture? What happens to Stormlight when it is used? Does it return to Roshar for recycling? What about when Nightlbood is burning through Investiture? Does it disappear for ever? Do these questions even matter?

Pure Investiture seems to come from the spiritual realm, and thus seems to be effectively limitless, infinite, eternal, and indestructible. What seems to limit it is the conduit through which it is pulled and influences on it from Connection, etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

On my reread, in early Oathbringer. Jesus christ I had forgotten insanely cringe and annoying Shallans chapters are, easily leapfrogging all the cringe from book 1. Pretty big letdown from WoR too, where she's actually a pretty interesting character and goes through satisfying development.

I know it's on purpose, but that doesn't make it any less awful to read.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Pure Investiture seems to come from the spiritual realm, and thus seems to be effectively limitless, infinite, eternal, and indestructible. What seems to limit it is the conduit through which it is pulled and influences on it from Connection, etc.

brb - gonna set up an oil derrick in the spiritual realm.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Mistborn vs. Radiant is a favorite thought exercise in this thread and the 17th Shard forums. The thing with investiture is that you need to get it somewhere, and the different magic systems have different sources. Awakeners need breaths, which are generated one at a time at the birth of a Nalthian by Endowment. So that fuel source is extremely limited. Radiants need stormlight, which the highstorm basically gives away in unlimited quantities, but there are not infinite spheres around, so that source becomes limited again. Yet it's far, far more accessible than breaths, and far more renewable.

Ferruchemists basically generate their own investiture in a way when they store certain qualities in metalminds, but that's again a very limited if regenerating resource. As long as the Ferruchemist is alive and in halfway decent condition, they can generate the fuel to their abilities. There are definitely options if you can hack the system with unkeyed metalminds and twinborn (or fullborn= full ferruchemists and mistborn like the Lord Ruler), but it's pretty complicated.

Now, Brandon wrote about this specific part in the Ars Arcanum: Ferruchemy is end-neutral because no energy is created, a Ferruchemist simply stores an ability for later use. It's only useful because you can endure being a little sick/weak/hungry/etc. in order to heal faster/be stronger/ don't hunger later. Crucially, being able to store age is basically useless except for disguise shenanigans if you can't cheat the system by being able to burn Atium.

Hemalurgy is end-negative, because energy is lost. The spiked person always has less of a certain power or ability than the person that was sacrificed to make the spike.

Allomancy is end-positive because energy is more or less created from nothing. In the spiritual realm, all places are one, all times are one, and energy is infinite. That means you can't ever exhaust the energy of the spiritual realm. And allomancers are powered by the shard Preservation directly from the spiritual realm. They burn metals because those serve as "keys" to the spiritual realm, but the metals themselves have no energy (unless they are god metals like Atium). Others also need keys to access their power: Awakeners need very specific phrases, Elantrians need a local connection to Elantris itself in some form, even if it's just a drawing of the city map, Radiants need spren bonds, and Ferruchemists need their metalminds.

The advantage for Allomancers is that their keys are abundant on every world. And since Preservation powers them from the spiritual realm, where there are no distances, they can be anywhere in the Cosmere to access that investiture. Of course, some metals need more or less advanced societies to create (some post-desolation Rosharan societies lacked the knowledge to create simple steel, while probably nobody outside of Scadrial and Taldain can create meaningful quantities of aluminum without using magic), but at least the base metals like iron and copper are abundant everywhere. Knights Radiants one the other hand need to take their fuel from Roshar, and it will inevitably run out.

On the other hand, nearly all Knights Radiant should be more combat capable than any misting, so there's some balance here.

Fake-edit: One thing I appreciate is that the system of breaths can't be cheated by the most horrible scenario possible: Making a lot of babies, taking their breaths directly after birth and then killing them. Giving your breath to somebody else is a conscious choice, and so children need to be of a certain age to even understand what you want them to do.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 20, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mordiceius posted:

Rofl. Yeah. Don't even get me started on the Radiants and "leveling up"

Also - I'm not talking about this stuff as a negative. I loving love this poo poo.

I love how radiants not only level up, they get an honest to god loving level up animation with a rune appearing on the ground around them, and a boost to full health and mana

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I love how radiants not only level up, they get an honest to god loving level up animation with a rune appearing on the ground around them, and a boost to full health and mana

Very video game.

Also, I wonder how that links to the Voran practice of burning glyph prayers on the ground...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Stormlight would be a really interesting video game mechanic too, since it's your power gauge and health bar. Could be a cool mechanic; do I burn my reserves on my cool abilities or hold it back because I expect to get hurt and need it to heal? The downside is that it seems like it'd also lend itself to a failure spiral; if I'm doing badly on a fight, my Stormlight will get depleted and I won't have the option to do anything that'd stop me from doing badly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Stormlight is a FromSoft game

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

The downside is that it seems like it'd also lend itself to a failure spiral; if I'm doing badly on a fight, my Stormlight will get depleted and I won't have the option to do anything that'd stop me from doing badly.

Press X to swear Fourth Ideal.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Ojjeorago posted:

Press X to swear Fourth Ideal.

Kaladin's F key is stuck.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Ole brando had to be pissed playing Elden Ring seeing all the talk of Shardbearers (because he'd love to be the one writing a fromsoft game setting).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He did a bit of streaming ER when it came out, the main thing he'd troll the audience with was refusing to spend his souls and referring to thr counter as his highscore

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Brandons reading prologue and a chapter now:

Book premise (based on having listening to the first 12 minutes so far):
prologue is on Yolen and chapter 3 is Sixth of Dusk sequel

https://youtu.be/e0L06Y37W70?si=BUo3y8QpqUtzZLaz

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 21, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Work has been getting the better of me, and that led me into a reading slump because, apparently, our bodies need eight hours of sleep. Anyways,

Finished Part 3 of Oathbringer

Thoughts and Opinions:
  • Kaladin. You are a bitch. You let Elhokar die to Moash of all people. Pathetic...
  • Shallan. You aren't as much of a bitch as Kaladin, but it is pretty clear you need to accept who you are and stop pretending to be other people.
  • Adolin: Continue being you. Handsome. Majestic. Funny.
  • Azure: You're incredible. I don't know much about you besides the fact your shardblade doesn't make people's eyes burn out, but hmmm.
  • Dalinar: What. The. gently caress. You led a jihad on a city and took your wife with it. I was not prepared for that entire scene. Wow.
  • Although the book doesn't say it, RIP to Skar and Drehy. Noble lads o7

Predictions:
  • Wit gets revealed to be a God or a Demi-God. He constantly shows up at the right time and place, disappearing into thin air. Hmmmmm.
  • Adolin becomes a Knight Radiant in Shadesmar. Elhokar almost became one before Moash drove a spear up his eye. So, the entire Kholin family has Radiant in their genes.
  • Jasnah breaks out our heroes from Shadesmar since we know she can go back and forth between the realms.

Bold Hot Takes:
  • Renarin uses his truthwatcher powers between Acts 4 and 5, revealing King Taravangian as a murderer and genocidal king.
  • Epic final battle descends on Kholinar.
  • King Gavilar is a psychopath who wants to bond all the unmade spren to royal cabinet members and bright words.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh, you have no idea what awaits you. These predictions are very good, some of them are even mostly correct! But where you are wrong, you will be amazed by what actually happens.

By the way, you really ought to read Warbreaker. Imho it's optimal to read it before Words or Radiance, but you very definitely should read it before Rhythm of War. The e-book is free on Sanderson's website even!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Brandons reading prologue and a chapter now:

Book premise (based on having listening to the first 12 minutes so far):
prologue is on Yolen and chapter 3 is Sixth of Dusk sequel

https://youtu.be/e0L06Y37W70?si=BUo3y8QpqUtzZLaz

Secret Project Five spoilers

Interesting that it's a dual narrative between Dusk and a dragon named Starling. I'm very curious to see how their paths intersect. Starling knows Frost and "Master" Hoid, and Nazh (RIP I guess), and has a very multi-species crew including at least one new one.

And Brandon finally confirmed what we all basically knew from the Sixth of the Dusk sequel, that the Ones Above are Scadrians.

Also interestingly, there were a few differences from the transcript sent in the email and what Brandon actually said. It sounded like what he said on stream was likely revised, as it cleared up a few ambiguous statements.

Looking forward to this even more now.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Torrannor posted:

Oh, you have no idea what awaits you. These predictions are very good, some of them are even mostly correct! But where you are wrong, you will be amazed by what actually happens.

By the way, you really ought to read Warbreaker. Imho it's optimal to read it before Words or Radiance, but you very definitely should read it before Rhythm of War. The e-book is free on Sanderson's website even!

It’s gonna be read right after Dawnshard. I got a good TBR going so I can fully enjoy RoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Oathbringer spoilers[*]Shallan. You aren't as much of a bitch as Kaladin, but it is pretty clear you need to accept who you are and stop pretending to be other people.

lol I don't know why this made me laugh so much