Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brandon forgot how evil he made the final empire nobles

also, backerkit is over 100,000 preorders, wow

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

stramit posted:

I still don’t think Sanderson quite gets the character he wrote on the page. I still don’t believe Kelsier is a psychopath.

By fantasy standards, maybe not. By IRL standards, it's pretty obviously the case. Part of why it's interesting. 'What is acceptable in war?' is something you have to wrestle with yourself.

Tunicate posted:

Also, this. The nobles being so one-dimensionally evil doesn't give Kelsier quite as much nuance.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
lol, when are we going to get charged by Backerkit? Time keeps getting pushed back.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Kelsier taking joy in murder is definitely sociopathic behavior, but just like Inglorious Bastards and the similar content, we don't care when Fascists and Evil gets the What For.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tunicate posted:

also, backerkit is over 100,000 preorders, wow

Yeah it feels like Brandon doesn't know just how goddamn evil he made them. A thousand years of slavery, racism, torture and more.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I hate this quote so, so much. Everything about it.
Mistborn and Era 2 spoilers
Not only does Kel get over his Noble killing boner by the end, as seen when he agrees with Vin that Elend is a good person and even goes out of his way to save Elend's life, but the line of argument Sanderson is using here reminds me a lot of what Suit says in Era 2, that he and his monstrous goons are really no different from the Skaa Rebellion.

Kel is a complex man. Boiling him down to "he likes to kill some people at the start of his character arc means he's a psychopath" is a strangely reductive take.

I think people forget the prologue of the first book. Kelsier drops by the skaa, asks a few questions, determines they have a bit of spirit and that someone's been taken, and proceeds to kill every single person in the nearby keep except the young woman he's rescuing. Every single one, including women and children. And then he just walks away without caring what will happen to the skaa afterward.

You can be complex while ALSO being a psychopath. And you can be a psychopath while still being justified in what you're doing.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Well of Ascension - Chapter 11

Making OreSeur a wolfhound is so cool. He gets the senses that every dog receives while being able to hide and store vials of metals for Vin. Wild. Also, this new metal that gives Vin an insane burst of power seems cool. Like an ultrapower up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Narsham posted:

I think people forget the prologue of the first book. Kelsier drops by the skaa, asks a few questions, determines they have a bit of spirit and that someone's been taken, and proceeds to kill every single person in the nearby keep except the young woman he's rescuing. Every single one, including women and children. And then he just walks away without caring what will happen to the skaa afterward.

You can be complex while ALSO being a psychopath. And you can be a psychopath while still being justified in what you're doing.

(Final Empire Prologue stuff)
Children seems like a stretch. There's no reason to think there were any kids there and what's more that is a line I think we can safely assume no one in the crew would ever cross, even if they were Noble children. At that point, Kel would indeed be no better than someone like Straff.

Women i can believe as he does have a view of "Skaa who work with the enemy deserve no mercy" at this point. So maybe he killed a bunch of servant women. But that's the point, Kel at the start of the book and Kel at the end of the book are not the exact same person. If he felt nothing for anyone, why would his time with Vin convince him to change at all?

That's really my entire problem with this line of argument. Vin's own character growth is entirely due to Kelsier. Kelsier is the one who convinced her people can love, that they can be trusted, that they can be good. To say he was a murderous psycho the whole time sems to me to negate all of that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think that one way to approach Kelsier is that he had proper perspective and adjustment many aspects of his life but wildly extreme or psychopathic lack of...proportion? in others.

Everyone has blind spots; Kelsier has quiiiiite a few. That doesn't mean he can't be a good mentor or genuinely love the people close to him. People are complex.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Potato Salad posted:

People are complex.

TL;DR of the Cosmere

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Kelsier's definitely a functioning psychopath. He can act in society, he can even have people he cares about, but if you're not one of them, he straight up does not care and it doesn't even register with him that he should. You can see it every time the crew pushes back on the whole "and then we do wholesale slaughter" parts of the plan and Kelsier just gets confused, because, to him, the murder is a perk. Why would you want to do less of it when you're not going to get in trouble for it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean, based on the numbers in thr books, if you stab three noblemen you'll have hit one serial rapist and murderer, so you dom't have to be thst extreme to see them as basically irredeemable by default.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

I mean, based on the numbers in thr books, if you stab three noblemen you'll have hit one serial rapist and murderer, so you dom't have to be thst extreme to see them as basically irredeemable by default.

Full Mistborn and Stormlight Archive spoilers. NEW READERS DON'T KLICK! (That includes you, Mordiceius!) But this honestly doesn't matter. Kelsier enjoys the act of killing, which no mentally healthy human should, imho. You can derive satisfaction from putting down irredeemable trash like basically 90% of the Final Empire nobles, but that's not the same as enjoying it. And that's also the point that Brandon made. Kelsier could satisfy his impulse to kill people because he was surrounded by people who absolutely deserved it, who indeed needed to be killed. That's why he's a hero in this story. In other stories, he could easily have been a villain, if he hadn't been able to resist his murderous impulses.

And being a functioning psychopath, he does have people he cares about, and he is even interested to improve the overall well being of society. But that doesn't negate his big character flaw. Which is imho all right. And who knows, he might have found a way to deal with all this now. If he even has these tendencies anymore. That depends on what cognitive shadows are. Is that being just our Kelsier? Then he may still be a psychopath.

Or is he like a spren created after his character template? And maybe his psychopathic tendencies didn't make the jump, or they were discarded over the centuries as they don't fit with the rest of his character, and Vasher had some pretty interesting ideas about how cognitive shadows evolve over time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I waited to long to get the WoR leatherbound :negative:

I hope it won't be too difficult to get the secret project when it comes out

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Well of Ascension - Chapter 22

LOLOLLOLOLLLL Breeze was actually banging a King’s daughter. What a chad of a man.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Taffer posted:

I waited to long to get the WoR leatherbound :negative:

I hope it won't be too difficult to get the secret project when it comes out

They're accepting late pledges until April 30th. So you should still be able to get in on the campaign.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Well of Ascension - Chapter 22

LOLOLLOLOLLLL Breeze was actually banging a King’s daughter. What a chad of a man.

remember his full name

just remember it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

New lore dropped

https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/1bsu1oa/sharing_my_personalized_the_lost_metal_which/

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Well of Ascension - Chapter 40

No discussion here. This book can drag at times excruciatingly hard.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Well of Ascension - Chapter 40

No discussion here. This book can drag at times excruciatingly hard.

Neverrrrminddddd, thank you Brando Sando for realizing the philosophy was starting to drag.

Well of Ascension - Chapter 45

Vin killing over 300 people by herself with some added help is insane to think about. Now, it's time to head to the Well of Ascension.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Neverrrrminddddd, thank you Brando Sando for realizing the philosophy was starting to drag.

Well of Ascension - Chapter 45

Vin killing over 300 people by herself with some added help is insane to think about. Now, it's time to head to the Well of Ascension.

Book finished. Final Thoughts:

• This book had long moments of dragging on. I almost DNF'ed three separate times.
  • RIP Dockson, Clubs, and Tindwyl
  • gently caress you Straff
  • I was unfamiliar with your game, Elend Venture—quick beheadings, stabbings, and more near the end. You are now eligible to be a Game of Thrones Duke at best.
  • Zane almost seemed like he didn't belong in the book. I'm not sure why, but ehh.
  • Nice, now we have a spirit that has been released in the world—time to see how our two dear Allomancers deal with that bullshit.
  • Marsh got corrupted and died. drat. But thank you, Ham, for saving the best character in the book's life.
  • 3.5/5 stars. Hopefully, Hero of Ages is a stronger finish.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

[*]3.5/5 stars. Hopefully, Hero of Ages is a stronger finish.
WoA, outside of a few really great moments, is easily my least favorite of the Mistborns.

Strap in for Hero of Ages. It's a solid payoff for making it through Well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I don't know anybody who doesn't think Well of Ascension is the weakest book of the original trilogy by far. But trust me, you are absolutely not prepared for the Sanderlanche in Hero of Ages.

Zane was a chump, and 100% dragged the book down. Luckily, there's imho nobody like this in Hero of Ages.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this has to be a joke

I checked, it's trivially not accurate :/

it would also make no sense in many languages

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

this has to be a joke

I checked, it's trivially not accurate :/

it would also make no sense in many languages

It seems to have been posted by a beta reader on April 1

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, Zane just doesn't work at all. He definitely seems like the remnant of an earlier draft or something.

big mean giraffe posted:

It seems to have been posted by a beta reader on April 1
The "source" is also a clearly intended as a joke personalized message above an autograph, so there's that too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No, I think Keisier just has a very Vorin name

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Your rating is more than fair imo. I think The Well of Ascension is probably Brandon's second weakest book (beaten only by Elantris).

The pacing is glacial (though I wonder if I'd still feel that way after making it through Way of Kings). I think it is hard to make it interesting to be on the receiving end of a siege. It's not impossible, but I don't think Brandon was fully up for the task. Like the whole aspect of a siege is "we're just sitting here waiting until we run out of everything" and it takes a lot to make that feel like more than "we're just sitting here waiting" for 80% of a book.

Also, Zane sucks. Just a bad character. He is exactly the character a good kid from BYU would create when they are imagining what they think someone cool and edgy would be.

On another note, I finished part 1 of Oathbringer. I have some thoughts. My wife also started the audiobooks. In the last month and a half, she's polished of TWoK and is through part 1 of WoR.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

On another note, I finished part 1 of Oathbringer. I have some thoughts. My wife also started the audiobooks. In the last month and a half, she's polished of TWoK and is through part 1 of WoR.

Strap in. Their are some moments in Oathbringer that will make you go, "Holy shitt"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Mrsdiceius is gonna pass you by in no time at that rate.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

Mrsdiceius is gonna pass you by in no time at that rate.

I know!!! She works a hybrid job. When working from home, she'll listen to it during lunch and then any time she gets downtime. Then, on the days she does work, she has a hefty commute and listens to it each way. She has been absolutely cruising through it.

She ended up really enjoying The Way of Kings. In her words, "It was very different from the other Brandon books we've gone through (Mistborn/Warbreaker) and had you not prepared me for the slower pace, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much."

She loves Dalinar, likes Shallan (for what little of her there is), loves Jasnah, and understands but gets annoyed with Kaladin. A quote from her about Kaladin "I rolled my eyes when he was on a bridge run and stood at attention while the army passed. He can be such a pick-me."

One of the big reason I was excited her to read this is that she is a psychologist, so I was interested in getting her views on the portrayals of mental health in the books.

She's enjoying Words of Radiance so far. She's in the part 1 interludes currently. She definitely called me one day at work and said: "Jasnah isn't dead right?! Right?! SHe can't be dead. I want more Jasnah."

I have enjoyed her journey through the books because it allows me to revisit them (even if I just recently went through them). Boooooooooooy not much happens in Way of Kings. Now that I'm beyond TWoK, I appreciate it in hindsight because it does so much to set up Roshar and let you vibe in that world, but it feels like through the whole middle section of the book, every small development is dragged out to excruciating lengths. That being said, going in with the mindset that the book is more just vibing in a world than plot and action, she came away enjoying it for the most part.

OATHBRINGER - Part 1

No Context Oathbringer Part 1 Spoilers -

I'll try to make my thoughts brief:

Starting with the most important - THE EPIGRAPHS SUCK. They're just boring and useless and not exciting at all. It tells us nothing that the book doesn't already tell us. The epigraphs are often just half sentences and not even interesting ones at that. "For in this comes the lesson." Wow! How exciting! :rolleyes: They remind me of the epigraphs in Well of Ascension in that it feels like they're being stretched far too much. I would have rather just have no epigraphs than this nothingness that we got.

- The prologue was mostly interesting. Seems Gavilar was up to some poo poo. I like the idea that maybe Gavilar was secretly evil? Maybe his death was a good thing???

- Dalinar sucks at diplomacy and it's fun seeing everyone calling him out for the Alethi "yo you all are crazy warlords, why the gently caress should we trust you to "protect" by letting your armies in our cities. We're not loving stupid." That rules. I was worried it was going to get dragged out too much, but right when I was growing tired of the back and forth, the Stormfather steps in "about those visions..."

- The Dalinar flashbacks were :black101:. Genuinely laughed at the scene of Dalinar walking in the storm for his knife. The flashback with him going full bloodlust and almost turning on Gavilar was one of my favorite things I've ever read in a book. Just complete unhinged barbarian bloodlust.

- The Kaladin chapters were... a mixed bag. I really liked him going back to Hearthstone. That was great. Everything else.... I just didn't give a poo poo. Multiple chapters of him traveling with the free Parshmen felt like it really went nowhere. We had the introduction of the Fused at the end (super-Parshendi with Radiant powers???) but I found the journey incredibly boring. And a bit wild that everything is going crazy in the world and Kaladin is basically like "let me spend a few weeks traveling with these free Parshmen. CERTAINLY there aren't better things I could do with my time."

- Kaladin parting the storm was fuckin cool. Though I don't think it makes up for how boring his journey was leading up to that.

- The Shallan chapters probably stand out as my favorite in this part. She's off doing interesting stuff and kinda losing her mind at the same time. I like crazy Shallan. Her stabbing that Horneater and through her own hand made my jaw drop.

- Her showdown with the Unmade? of a thousand faces - the Midnight Mother was great. Maybe a bit on the nose, Brandon? The woman who is currently going through an identity crisis and creating multiple versions of herself has a showdown with a Boss whose power is... recreating images people. Seems like the Midnight Mother fled though. Wonder if she'll come up again.

I also like that Uruthiru is Brandon's own Minas Tirith.

All in all, book is very good. I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to continuing. This part 1 was long compared to prior books - 14 hours in the audiobook. I feel like the pacing may have suffered a little since we had to establish the new normal.

This feels like the proper "start" to the story and everything prior to this was preamble.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Hero of Ages - Prologue & Chapter 1

Already better pacing than WoA. Elend. Emperor. Mistborn. Regal. I love it. Also, Marsh is still alive....and he's helping make more Inquisitors for Ruin.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

- The Shallan chapters probably stand out as my favorite in this part. She's off doing interesting stuff and kinda losing her mind at the same time. I like crazy Shallan. Her stabbing that Horneater and through her own hand made my jaw drop.

More jaw-dropping moments are coming. Prepare yourself.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mordiceius posted:

This comment made me think of a question, and I don't think that question can be answered unless someone has read most/all of the Cosmere books, so newbies beware:

Could there have been some accidental hemalurgy going on here? Pushing metal through someone and into someone else is how hemalurgy works. A bit of their soul/spiritweb/whatever is transferred from one person to another.

Did Shallan pick up any extra powers (perhaps unconsciously) after this, or see her powers strengthen or weaken? Did her mental state change? I can't recall who was stabbed first, so I'm not sure if she's got a touch of Horneater or if there's a Horneater with a touch of Shallen inside. gently caress, is that why she suddenly likes Horneater white so much? Did that happen before or after the stab?

I did not think of this question in any of my (multiple) reads through the series so far, and I absolutely can't remember subsequent events to answer this on my own.

As an aside, there's no way hemalurgy fails to play a big part in whatever crazy crossover poo poo happens in the future Cosmere.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

This comment made me think of a question, and I don't think that question can be answered unless someone has read most/all of the Cosmere books, so newbies beware:

Could there have been some accidental hemalurgy going on here? Pushing metal through someone and into someone else is how hemalurgy works. A bit of their soul/spiritweb/whatever is transferred from one person to another.

Did Shallan pick up any extra powers (perhaps unconsciously) after this, or see her powers strengthen or weaken? Did her mental state change? I can't recall who was stabbed first, so I'm not sure if she's got a touch of Horneater or if there's a Horneater with a touch of Shallen inside. gently caress, is that why she suddenly likes Horneater white so much? Did that happen before or after the stab?

I did not think of this question in any of my (multiple) reads through the series so far, and I absolutely can't remember subsequent events to answer this on my own.

As an aside, there's no way hemalurgy fails to play a big part in whatever crazy crossover poo poo happens in the future Cosmere.

I strongly doubt it. It's not enough to get stabbed, it has to be in the right place, with the right metals, and most importantly with the right Intent.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

hemalurgy

My guess is no. Her stab was clean through. Hemalurgy relies on there being some metal being left in the person. Hemalurgy doesn't transfer powers between people, it transfers powers to metal. And then that metal transfers power to the other person.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thank you!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Dalinar is living in an epic fantasy novel.
Kaladin is living in a dark fantasy novel.
Shallan is living in a horror fantasy novel.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Dalinar is living in an epic fantasy novel.
Kaladin is living in a dark fantasy novel.
Shallan is living in a horror fantasy novel.
Sadeas is living in Game of Thrones, the dumb stupid fucker.

He would have done so well anywhere else, but Roshar is Honor's world, and that poo poo don't fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

Sadeas is was living in Game of Thrones, the dumb stupid fucker.

Edit: Spoilered by request

Anshu fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 3, 2024