Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

stramit posted:

There is an internal dialogue where she says that the colors look more vibrant and vivid. From the wiki "Third Heightening 600 Breaths Perfect Color Recognition".

That's just 'a cosmere thing' vs just a breaths thing. Any sufficiently Invested being would have similar results.

pik_d posted:

(Dawnshard)

I always thought the Dawnshard heightened her senses simply by making her heavily Invested.

Pretty sure Brandon has confirmed this via WoB at some point too.

*edit*
Warning here be spoilers:
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/444/#e14328

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

stramit posted:

There is an internal dialogue where she says that the colors look more vibrant and vivid. From the wiki "Third Heightening 600 Breaths Perfect Color Recognition".

(Dawnshard)

I always thought the Dawnshard heightened her senses simply by making her heavily Invested.

(Oathbringer)

Shallan has heightened color perception in the Tower, she can see the strata lines of the walls/floors better than others because she's highly Invested as a Lightweaver. She's not an Awakener. There are multiple ways people can gain specific skills across the Cosmere.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
To be clear, i'm not saying she has 600 breaths. I'm saying she is invested by likely at least 600 BEU even if she can't access or use that investiture. I think just holding a poo poo load of investiture has a lot of weird benefits like this.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

big mean giraffe posted:

Pretty sure Brandon has confirmed this via WoB at some point too.

*edit*
Warning here be spoilers:
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/444/#e14328

Interesting, that sorta goes against my observations in the Oathbringer part of my post.

(All Stormlight + future speculation) It's probably just because it's unique to Lightweavers or maybe even Shallan.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

stramit posted:

To be clear, i'm not saying she has 600 breaths. I'm saying she is invested by likely at least 600 BEU even if she can't access or use that investiture. I think just holding a poo poo load of investiture has a lot of weird benefits like this.

Oh yeah it absolutely does per that WoB, a lot of people were wondering on that right after Dawnshard came out.

pik_d posted:

Interesting, that sorta goes against my observations in the Oathbringer part of my post.

(All Stormlight + future speculation) It's probably just because it's unique to Lightweavers or maybe even Shallan.

Could be a lightweaver thing, another WoB mentioned that Allomancers especially and people using Stormlight don't hold a ton of investiture at once so they aren't nearly that Invested (people had a lot of questions about this right after DS came out). They pull in some stormlight and use it right away, and never "that much".

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 11, 2024

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Dawnshard rysn also has perfect pitch after becoming the Dawnshard, she’s obviously holding a relatively (compared to Stormlight native to Roshar) massive amount of investiture at this point

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah and the whole there is an undead army marching but don’t worry, we took care of it off screen.

This annoyed me. Great novel otherwise.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This annoyed me. Great novel otherwise.

Yeah, I think that with an extra 5-10% to properly wrap things up, the story would have gone from "really good" to "really great."

I also didn't like how quickly the stuff with Bluefingers was resolved. He's about to kill Siri and then is pulled away with an Awakened tapestry or something like that. Never mentioned again.

The whole last chunk of that bit feels so weirdly rushed. Brandon usually has no problem with writing many words so I think that is what makes Warbreaker so extra jarring. It's not like he has a page limit or anything like that! It was the only book of his where I got to the end and though "Wait! That's it?"

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

It was the only book of his where I got to the end and thought "Wait! That's it?"

Book 12 of the Wheel of Time was that for me. Didn’t realize that Sanderson had split it into a trilogy, so I thought I was reading the last book, the epic conclusion to the first 11 novels. And then it ended the way it did, and I felt exactly the way you did about Warbreaker.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

To turn this back in a hopefully more positive direction, Mord, made much more progress through Oathbringer?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Anshu posted:

To turn this back in a hopefully more positive direction, Mord, made much more progress through Oathbringer?

Unfortunately, it's not the most positive update. Not bad, just not positive.

I'm still making progress. I'm a little bogged down in Part 2 right now. It's not bad it's just.... idk.... I like Bridge Four, but I feel like half of the chapters in this part are Bridge Four members and those are inherently less interesting to me. While, I ended up really liking the Rock chapter (37) and it literally made me tear up at the end but I feel like that for a Dalinar-centered book, I feel like I'm getting far less Dalinar than I want

I'm on chapter 46 right now and the breakdown has been:

Shallan: 33, 39, 40, 44 (about 1 hour 40 min of audiobook)
Dalinar: 34, 36, 38, 42, (about 1 hour 45 min of audiobook)
Bridge Four: 35, 37, 41, 43, 45, 46 (about 2 hour 45 min of audiobook)

The Bridge Four characters have always been supporting cast and I like them but I want to spend more time with our main protagonists. Kinda not much is happening in this part overall, which is par for the course in these books, but every time I get another Bridge Four chapter, I wish I was getting a chapter with literally anyone else.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Mordiceius posted:

Unfortunately, it's not the most positive update. Not bad, just not positive.

I'm still making progress. I'm a little bogged down in Part 2 right now. It's not bad it's just.... idk.... I like Bridge Four, but I feel like half of the chapters in this part are Bridge Four members and those are inherently less interesting to me. While, I ended up really liking the Rock chapter (37) and it literally made me tear up at the end but I feel like that for a Dalinar-centered book, I feel like I'm getting far less Dalinar than I want

I'm on chapter 46 right now and the breakdown has been:

Shallan: 33, 39, 40, 44 (about 1 hour 40 min of audiobook)
Dalinar: 34, 36, 38, 42, (about 1 hour 45 min of audiobook)
Bridge Four: 35, 37, 41, 43, 45, 46 (about 2 hour 45 min of audiobook)

The Bridge Four characters have always been supporting cast and I like them but I want to spend more time with our main protagonists. Kinda not much is happening in this part overall, which is par for the course in these books, but every time I get another Bridge Four chapter, I wish I was getting a chapter with literally anyone else.

You will be getting plenty of him soon enough. Trust me.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RoW - Prologue

My, my, my. What was Gaviliar Kholin getting himself into... A portal to the Heavens and the Gods alike. Or perhaps, a portal to other Cosmere worlds. Also, he was an rear end in a top hat. I went from feeling sympathy as he died in TWoK to feeling a bit happy he was gone, kind of.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm rereading Stormlight.

oh yeah, Shallan has that portrait of Taravangian

So that's a thing :stonk:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Potato Salad posted:

I'm rereading Stormlight.

oh yeah, Shallan has that portrait of Taravangian

So that's a thing :stonk:
Why is that a thing? She lost it in the ship waterizing itself, anyway.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Rhythm of War - Chapter 7

Allomancy already being hinted at in the opening Epigraph. 👀

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I was thinking about The Lost Metal the other day and goddamn did I love that book.

But, that book is the only time I feel like Brandon disappointed me in his writing.

Don't tease the enemy having Kandra at the end of Bands of Mourning and then not make good on that in the next book. It feels like, when writing The Lost Metal, he completely forgot about the enemy Kandra. I spent the whole time of TLM waiting for an enemy Kandra to appear. I really want to know why that was dropped.

And don't say "Oh he was probably saving that for Era 3." If you're going to do that, tease it at the end of TLM, not in the middle of the series.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RoW- Chapter 9

Warbreaker’s, Mistborn’s, and White Sands’s worlds mentioned!!! I haven’t read White Sand as that is on tap before I read Mistborn Era 2, but it’s all starting to come together.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

RoW- Chapter 9

Warbreaker’s, Mistborn’s, and White Sands’s worlds mentioned!!! I haven’t read White Sand as that is on tap before I read Mistborn Era 2, but it’s all starting to come together.

It really is coming together in this book. I also really appreciate the artifabrians discovering that mixing fabrials with certain metals produces different effects. Navani would probably kill for the metallic arts lore that is common knowledge among the nobles of the Final Empire.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RoW - Chapter 10

drat. Dalinar demoted Kaladin. And he had every right to be demoted

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I was thinking about The Lost Metal the other day and goddamn did I love that book.

But, that book is the only time I feel like Brandon disappointed me in his writing.

Don't tease the enemy having Kandra at the end of Bands of Mourning and then not make good on that in the next book. It feels like, when writing The Lost Metal, he completely forgot about the enemy Kandra. I spent the whole time of TLM waiting for an enemy Kandra to appear. I really want to know why that was dropped.

And don't say "Oh he was probably saving that for Era 3." If you're going to do that, tease it at the end of TLM, not in the middle of the series.

Way of Kings's writing didnt disappoint you?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RoW- Chapter 11

Is…is Venli a hidden bondsmith? Because if so, ain’t no way..

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

RoW- Chapter 11

Is…is Venli a hidden bondsmith? Because if so, ain’t no way..
No. Timbre is a Reacher.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Barreft posted:

Way of Kings's writing didnt disappoint you?

Nah. I feel like the pacing is glacial, but I've come to appreciate it more the further I've gotten from it.

A lot of the problems I have with TWoK come from my own expectations. The pacing of all of the Stormlight Archive books (yes, even WoR and, so far, Oathbringer) is a lot slower than his other novels like the Mistborn series. I wasn't mentally prepared for that. Expectations clashed with reality, leading to my frustrations. That's not Brandon's fault.

The Lost Metal, despite my love for it, is the only time I feel like he's really dropped the ball and didn't make good on something he himself put in the books.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

No. Timbre is a Reacher.

Ahhh. The more I learn.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Nah. I feel like the pacing is glacial, but I've come to appreciate it more the further I've gotten from it.

A lot of the problems I have with TWoK come from my own expectations. The pacing of all of the Stormlight Archive books (yes, even WoR and, so far, Oathbringer) is a lot slower than his other novels like the Mistborn series. I wasn't mentally prepared for that. Expectations clashed with reality, leading to my frustrations. That's not Brandon's fault.

The Lost Metal, despite my love for it, is the only time I feel like he's really dropped the ball and didn't make good on something he himself put in the books.

I still need to finish Lost Metal, TWOK was definitely glacial

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The more I read Brandon Sanderson's works of art, the more I realize these books must be animated. You would need help to do live-action. Lots of help.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The more I read Brandon Sanderson's works of art, the more I realize these books must be animated. You would need help to do live-action. Lots of help.

Yeah, it's gotta be all anime

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RoW - Chapter 15

Is.. Is Zahel, Vasher? Kaladin said he fights like Azure, who I'm very sure is Vivienna. Hmmmm

E: Omggggg, Zahel is Vasher! And Wit is Hoid! WTFFFFF

Double E: Yeah so, Vivienna is Azure. Alright. Who else made their way to Roshar or Shadesmar? I wonder if Susebron or Siri made it here as well.

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 13, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RoW - Chapter 15

Prediction: Urithiru is alive and a spren and Navani bonds it. During the The Nine meeting, it was hinted that the tower had a spren.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

A Sneaker Broker posted:

RoW - Chapter 15

Prediction: Urithiru is alive and a spren and Navani bonds it. During the The Nine meeting, it was hinted that the tower had a spren.

:allears:

As always no hints where you're right and where you're wrong, but it's magical every time watching someone make the journey

I can't wait when you can join us watching the next inductee to the Cosmere

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

DarkHorse posted:

:allears:

As always no hints where you're right and where you're wrong, but it's magical every time watching someone make the journey

I can't wait when you can join us watching the next inductee to the Cosmere

After RoW, it's all of Wax & Wayne (with Secret History mixed in here), Sunlit Man, Tress, Arcanum, Elantris, and finally Yumi. Then, I will be free of the grip of Sanderson.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

A Sneaker Broker posted:

After RoW, it's all of Wax & Wayne (with Secret History mixed in here), Sunlit Man, Tress, Arcanum, Elantris, and finally Yumi. Then, I will be free of the grip of Sanderson.

Nice plan, just one problem. He'll have published 10 more books by then!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Nice plan, just one problem. He'll have published 10 more books by then!

:sickos: I'm gonna be so tired but so full.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Just in time for Stormlight 5!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Then, I will be free of the grip of Sanderson.

Every time someone says this it makes an additional secret project spring fully formed into the world.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RoW - Chapter 33

One thing that has been quite irritating and rubbing me the wrong way so far is how Brandon has written Shallan's multiple Personas as a "normal" thing. It's like the truth had to be said at some point that she is genuinely insane and psychotic and needs help. Not this internal dialogue of, "La la la. Shallan is A-Ok. Veil and Radiant exist. They weren't created because Shallan's mind is hosed up. They were created for specific needs. Nothing out of the ordinary over here."

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

A Sneaker Broker posted:

RoW - Chapter 33

One thing that has been quite irritating and rubbing me the wrong way so far is how Brandon has written Shallan's multiple Personas as a "normal" thing. It's like the truth had to be said at some point that she is genuinely insane and psychotic and needs help. Not this internal dialogue of, "La la la. Shallan is A-Ok. Veil and Radiant exist. They weren't created because Shallan's mind is hosed up. They were created for specific needs. Nothing out of the ordinary over here."

Brandon is very respectful of mental illness and has done a bunch of consulting with fans with different conditions. Part of that I believe was talking with people with D.I.D. who may believe that it’s not a mental illness, but a form of neurodiversity…that’d be a bit of a radical take, but Brandon is again very respectful of mental illness. Personally I think its hurt the books as narratives a bit, but he’s committed to it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Finally got to read Arcanum Unbounded, and as promised it answered some questions and left me with others!

1. The Emperor’s New Soul is amazing. Now I need to reread some books to better appreciate the appearance of concepts from this short story.

2. In Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, have we seen those shades anywhere else in the books? They feel really familiar, but if that’s the only story that takes place on that world then there’s no reason for that to be so. Also, (spoilers for all of Stormlight and Mistborn) what am I to make of the red eyes the shades have when they get angry? Haven’t we seen that in Stormlight with the Voidbringers and in Mistborn with Trell’s soldiers? I’m sure I’m forgetting important details here.

3. The Sixth of Dusk. What fun. I really enjoyed the titular character and the world they inhabit. Can’t wait to revisit this in the main Cosmere books and explore the implications of what was revealed.

4. Edgedancer was awesome. (:razz:) I thought I saw people saying here that Lift might be the most advanced of any of the Radiants we’ve met so far, but as of this book she’s only hit the second Ideal. What did I miss? Then we’ve got Nightblood giving Lift a pass and not asking to eat her, which presumably means she doesn’t come across as Evil. How accurate is Nightblood in this regard? I also enjoyed Khriss stating that spren are splinters of a Shard. Does that not imply that they are sentient portions of Adonalsium? For that matter, could spren have existed before a Shard got splintered? Maybe Khriss was mistaken, because that doesn’t make sense.

Edit: forgot to mention how amusing I find it that Sanderson has the entire Cosmere planned out but intentionally left worlds empty to allow for places to put future inspiration. The equivalent of Wheel of Time’s Big Book of Bad Art is going to be utterly crazy.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RoW - Chapter 39

I was right with one of my silent predictions. The Sibling was the one talking to Navani.