Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

CapnAndy posted:

Oh hey it's not 1 am in the morning any more, longer post

We know for a fact that there wasn't. The Heralds react to only Taln dying by treating it as unimaginable luck; they'd never done so well before as to have only one Herald die.

Okay, full immersion on the (Stormlight through SA5 prologue) Shallan is Chana's daughter theory:
  • WoB that Chana has appeared on screen at least once and at least one of our characters has met her.
  • Shallan's mother goes conspicuously nameless despite the rest of her family being named.
  • Chana has been established as having red hair.
  • When the Heralds got their official portraits drawn, there was a clear physical resemblance to Shallan : https://coppermind.net/wiki/Chanarach#/media/File:Chanarach_Endsheet.png
  • Shallan's mother had known contact with the Skybreakers -- why was Nale taking note of a random minor Veden noblewoman?
  • Shallan is extremely interesting to the Cryptics. They bond her early, and when she kills her spren, they send another one -- and Pattern expected to die too, and he believes that in that event, they'll send another spren to her. Why is the daughter of a random impoverished noble house so fascinating to spren?
  • WoB that Shallan's ability to Lightweave people into better versions of themselves is not a standard Lightweaver ability, but something special and unique to Shallan.
  • Shallan's mother always had mental problems.
  • Said problems kick into overdrive when she sees that her daughter has become Radiant, driving her into homicidal fury. "See a Radiant, kill a Radiant" is behavior we've previously seen from Nale -- underlining the Skybreaker connection -- and Nale says he got it from Ishar. So it seems like Shallan's mother was talking to a Herald at some point.
  • A Herald dies on the night of Gavilar's assassination. It can't be Taln (already dead), Jezrien, Nale, Shalash, Kalak (attending the party), Ishar (busy as God-King of the Tukari), or Battar (member of Diagram, location accounted for even if the readers don't know it). That only leaves Chana, Vedel, or Paliah, so we can say for certain that a female Herald died on the night of Gavilar's assassination.
  • The day Shallan kills her mother is unconfirmed, but the interactive map has it happening in the same week as Gavilar's assassination, so the timeline lines up. So a female herald dies the night of Gavilar's assassination and, just by sheer coincidence, we also know about a crazy red-haired woman who's murdered right around then. If that's not related, it's one hell of a headfake.

Honestly the SA5 prologue moved this one from "plausible theory" to R+L=J territory where the author hasn't confirmed it on paper yet, but come the gently caress on, there's too many data points all pointing in the exact same direction, it's confirmed.

There's a much less supported theory (but one I believe nonetheless) that the Stormfather speaking to Gavilar in the SA5 prologue isn't the Stormfather, it's Ishar using his powers to hijack the Connection and pretend to be the Stormfather in order to rope a sucker into taking his place as eternal torture-bait. Quick rundown of the points in favor:
  • The Stormfather is wildly out of character for the entire conversation.
  • The Stormfather manifests physically in the room, something we've never seen him do with Dalinar.
  • The Stormfather has a massive and unhidable reaction to the Herald's death, whereas Jezrien dying seemed to go by unnoticed. You know who did react to Jezrien, though? The other Heralds.
  • Gavilar doesn't seem to know the Words even though one of the visions directly recites them.
  • The Words being asked for by the Stormfather are not the Words (Gavilar gets very close to the First Ideal at one point and the Stormfather calls it "not even close", whereas "Give it to me. Now. I need it." is "almost them").
  • The Stormfather swears an oath that he's done with the Kholin family, one which he seems to have flagrantly broken despite being the literal spren of oaths.
This one is weaker since there's only the single scene and most of this can be answered with "if you assume this scene to be actually the Stormfather, then everything else he says or does has to be disbelieved, because he's clearly not only capable of lying but a massive liar". But I don't buy that explanation.

I’m completely bought in now. It would make way too much sense. Especially considering how, in WoR, she just somehow magically knows she had a Shardblade at her disposal. No training. No gifting of the blade to her. It just shows up. What kind of power is that? The power of a daughter of a Herald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
(Full Stormlight) etc Mordiceius do not mouseover...

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, full immersion on the (Stormlight through SA5 prologue) Shallan is Chana's daughter theory:

[*] A Herald dies on the night of Gavilar's assassination. It can't be Taln (already dead), Jezrien, Nale, Shalash, Kalak (attending the party), Ishar (busy as God-King of the Tukari), or Battar (member of Diagram, location accounted for even if the readers don't know it). That only leaves Chana, Vedel, or Paliah, so we can say for certain that a female Herald died on the night of Gavilar's assassination.

Full Stormlight spoilers Someone claims that Brandon signed their book and said Paliah was an old woman Shallan saw on screen in Karbranth, so if that's true it can't be her either, but it's disputed since they never provided a picture of that signature.

And then there's also the fan theory that Vedel the Healer herald madness inverted into Liss the Assasin, which would leave only Chana.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Rhythm of War I’m completely bought in now. It would make way too much sense. Especially considering how, in WoR, she just somehow magically knows she had a Shardblade at her disposal. No training. No gifting of the blade to her. It just shows up. What kind of power is that? The power of a daughter of a Herald.

RoW You know what that was now, she was using Testament.

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 17, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I’m completely bought in now. It would make way too much sense. Especially considering how, in WoR, she just somehow magically knows she had a Shardblade at her disposal. No training. No gifting of the blade to her. It just shows up. What kind of power is that? The power of a daughter of a Herald.
Yeah, what Ojjeorago said. You know the answer to that one. Testament shows up even earlier than that, when Jasnah does her little object lesson with drawing the bandits into an ambush so she can Soulcast them to death, one of Shallan's thoughts is that she's not entirely blameless, because she had a concealed weapon the entire time and never used it. In the moment it passes by without notice because Shallan does her typical immediate brain shutdown move as soon as she begins to think of Testament, and also because, maybe she had a knife or something, who knows? It's only obvious in retrospect that what she's really thinking is "if you really wanted to scare those bandits off, you could've pulled a Shardblade on them at any time".

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, what Ojjeorago said. You know the answer to that one. Testament shows up even earlier than that, when Jasnah does her little object lesson with drawing the bandits into an ambush so she can Soulcast them to death, one of Shallan's thoughts is that she's not entirely blameless, because she had a concealed weapon the entire time and never used it. In the moment it passes by without notice because Shallan does her typical immediate brain shutdown move as soon as she begins to think of Testament, and also because, maybe she had a knife or something, who knows? It's only obvious in retrospect that what she's really thinking is "if you really wanted to scare those bandits off, you could've pulled a Shardblade on them at any time".

Full Stormlight Spoilers: I know about Testament now. But with all my knowledge, it is still extremely odd that even though Shallan killed Testament (and most spren races would automatically walk away from Humans as a whole from just one death,) the cryptics were still gonna send another. Hmmmmm.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Full Stormlight Spoilers: I know about Testament now. But with all my knowledge, it is still extremely odd that even though Shallan killed Testament (and most spren races would automatically walk away from Humans as a whole from just one death,) the cryptics were still gonna send another. Hmmmmm.
And a third, if need be! Pattern repeatedly offers to break their bond and die, in full confidence that Shallan will be sent a new Cryptic. It’s very odd.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
In RoW, when Dalinar touches Nale, there are eight lines extending from him, and they talk about the Oathpact. I took it as lines extending to the other extant Heralds, given that Jezrien was dead at that point?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

meatbag posted:

In RoW, when Dalinar touches Nale, there are eight lines extending from him, and they talk about the Oathpact. I took it as lines extending to the other extant Heralds, given that Jezrien was dead at that point?

That's my read, yes. What else could it be?

CapnAndy posted:

And a third, if need be! Pattern repeatedly offers to break their bond and die, in full confidence that Shallan will be sent a new Cryptic. It’s very odd.

Full Stormlight spoilers Especially since other kinds of spren are much more reluctant to bond humans at all. Yet the Cryptics have decided to sacrifice as many of their number as necessary to have one of them bonded to Shallan. At this point, what else but the Herald daughter theory would make sense of this extremely odd behavior?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Torrannor posted:

Full Stormlight spoilers Especially since other kinds of spren are much more reluctant to bond humans at all. Yet the Cryptics have decided to sacrifice as many of their number as necessary to have one of them bonded to Shallan. At this point, what else but the Herald daughter theory would make sense of this extremely odd behavior?

Full Stormlight spoilers It's probably the best theory, but also possible that Shallan is actually Chana, maybe? Or some lightwoven + soulcast creation/reincarnation of Chana? Her magic seems to mess with Identity, it fits thematically even if all the dots aren't connected yet.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Torrannor posted:

Full Stormlight We still have that "There was an Unmade involved with the Davars" thing that's unresolved, so clearly it's because Shallan is actually Ba-Ado-Mishram who wiped her own identity and connection to escape imprisonment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

Full Stormlight spoilers It's probably the best theory, but also possible that Shallan is actually Chana, maybe? Or some lightwoven + soulcast creation/reincarnation of Chana? Her magic seems to mess with Identity, it fits thematically even if all the dots aren't connected yet.

Full Stormlight spoilers Nah she's not Chana, she killed Chana and Chana gave up immediately triggering the new Desolation, that is the maximum sad/drama backstory and thus the one Shallan will get

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Torrannor posted:

I meant it as a point against Chana being Shallans mother - if there are eight lines, no Herald died the same night as Gavilar, or at least not died-died

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

meatbag posted:

I meant it as a point against Chana being Shallans mother - if there are eight lines, no Herald died the same night as Gavilar, or at least not died-died
Stormlight 5 speculation
If Chana or another herald died before the desolation started, they would have returned around the same time Taln did, and we have no idea what she's been up to.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

meatbag posted:

Also would the thread even be severed for a conventional death? Jezrien's disappeared because of stabbing by a Odium-metal knife with a sapphire gem to contain him, I don't think even a Shardblade would sever the Oathpact

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

That is a very stupid theory that makes no sense. We can start with the fact that Chana is the patron of the Dustbringers, not the Lightweavers, move from there to the part where Nale is repeatedly mentioned as the only Herald to actually join a Radiant order, and keep going from there, if anyone really wants to.

meatbag posted:

Obviously not died-died. Jezrien getting permanently killed is quite explicitly the first time that's ever happened, and a Herald regular dying wouldn't break the Oathpact, why would you expect it to? Them dying was a regular occurrence during Desolations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

WoBs confirmed long ago that Shallan's mom is Shallan's birth mother and Lin is the father
*edited*

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 17, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

That is a very stupid theory that makes no sense. We can start with the fact that Chana is the patron of the Dustbringers, not the Lightweavers, move from there to the part where Nale is repeatedly mentioned as the only Herald to actually join a Radiant order, and keep going from there, if anyone really wants to.

nale is explicitly the only one to join his OWN radiant order.

Also if we are talling order representations, the dustbringer is missing on thaylen field and we have two lightweavers. Swap out the lightweaver radiamt for the dustbringer herald and the numbers work out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

WoBs confirmed long ago that Chana is Shallan's birth mother and Lin is the father

That doesnt preclude Shallan being a very real biological daughter who is now dead and being impersonated.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

big mean giraffe posted:

WoBs confirmed long ago that Chana is Shallan's birth mother and Lin is the father

Are you talking about this WoB? Stormlight future That confirms it was her birth mother, but nothing about that being Chana.

Tunicate posted:

That doesnt preclude Shallan being a very real biological daughter who is now dead and being impersonated.

Stormlight future Well that solves it, Shallan is the Kandra worldhopper.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ojjeorago posted:

Are you talking about this WoB? Stormlight future That confirms it was her birth mother, but nothing about that being Chana.

Oops I can't read, yeah I mispoke, sorry

Tunicate posted:

It does, Sanderson mentions in that very WoB that he's killing that theory people had early on about Shallan as he confirms her mother was her birth mother

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 17, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tunicate posted:

How and when did this daughter die, and why does neither Shallan's father nor brothers notice? Is your theory that when Shallan kills her mother, what actually happened is her mother killed Shallan, whipped up a Lightweaving to disguise them as each other, one which held up even though whatever funeral arrangements were done on the mother's body, and then constantly kept it up for the next five years, even though "Shallan" had a small child's body and her actual adult body was still there and could be noticed by being bumped into, was fitted for clothes which she then wore, grew at a believable pace even though growing is imperceptable day-by-day, oh and also she's somehow maintained this illusion both times she's been in Shadesmar and has had periods of days or weeks where all the Stormlight has run out and she quite explicitly has none and no way to get more?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

How and when did this daughter die, and why does neither Shallan's father nor brothers notice? Is your theory that when Shallan kills her mother, what actually happened is her mother killed Shallan, whipped up a Lightweaving to disguise them as each other, one which held up even though whatever funeral arrangements were done on the mother's body, and then constantly kept it up for the next five years, even though "Shallan" had a small child's body and her actual adult body was still there and could be noticed by being bumped into, was fitted for clothes which she then wore, grew at a believable pace even though growing is imperceptable day-by-day, oh and also she's somehow maintained this illusion both times she's been in Shadesmar and has had periods of days or weeks where all the Stormlight has run out and she quite explicitly has none and no way to get more?

we've seen herald reflexes. as depicted, there's no way a small child could possibly successfully kill a herald.

shallan tried to kill her mom (as depicted), but instead of succeeding, her mom instead immediately killed her.

out of grief (and herald brain syndrome) chana went from wishing she had been the one to die instead, to CONVINCING herself she was the one to die instead. as with any highly invested cosmere entity, the body reflects the self image (as in yumi), so she then took on shallan's appearance. It is possible she may have committed suicide and Returned as Shallan, creating the body however heralds do that.

this explains several mentions from "shallan"'s pov that "shallan" is a fake identity.

formless is the original totally nuts chana persona, suppressed so hard "shallan" refuses to give a name.

Brandon was asked about that theory at dragonsteel and said "That's uh... that's really dark"

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 17, 2024

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tunicate posted:

we've seen herald reflexes. as depicted, there's no way a small child could possibly successfully kill a herald.

shallan tried to kill her mom (as depicted), but instead of succeeding, her mom instead immediately killed her.

out of grief (and herald brain syndrome) chana went from wishing she had been the one to die instead, to CONVINCING herself she was the one to die instead. as with any highly invested cosmere entity, the body reflects the self image (as in yumi), so she then took on shallan's appearance.

this explains several mentions from "shallan"'s pov that "shallan" is a fake identity.

formless is the original totally nuts chana persona, suppressed so hard "shallan" refuses to give a name.

Also, Lightweavers can Soulcast and physically change things permanently into other things. Nobody has soulcast a living thing on screen in a way that doesn't kill it yet, but if anyone can do it, it's a Lightweaver who's also a Herald. Shallan has demonstrated not exactly that, but something that seems similar with some of her illusions seeming like more than just illusions.

Edit: also, accepting truths is fundamental to Lightweavers, if Shallan/Chana did something as extreme as completely denying their actual identity, that seems like the kind of lie that could kill Testament.

There's also the themes of Heralds becoming the opposite of themselves as they go more insane. Dustbringers are grim destroyers, becoming a whimsical creator Lightbringer would fit the reversal theme.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 17, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tunicate posted:

out of grief (and herald brain syndrome) chana went from wishing she had been the one to die instead, to CONVINCING herself she was the one to die instead. as with any highly invested cosmere entity, the body reflects the self image (as in yumi), so she then took on shallan's appearance. It is possible she may have committed suicide and Returned as Shallan, creating the body however heralds do that.

Brandon was asked about that theory at dragonsteel and said "That's uh... that's really dark"
That is slightly more plausible, but still unlikely. Vaunted "herald reflexes" did not save Jezrien from completely baseline human un-Invested Moash walking up and stabbing him. So there's absolutely precedent that a sufficiently surprised/incapacitated Herald can just get stabbed and die. We don't know how Invested the Heralds are without their Honorblades. Hell, we don't even know how Invested they are with their Honorblades, and it seems like nobody on Roshar can maintain permanent Investiture because the Light always wears out. A Bladeless Herald being able to reshape their own body based on self image is completely unproven (and, I'd argue, highly unlikely, given that they don't seem to have ever changed appearance in the last four millenia despite going completely bugfuck crazy). Shallan believes that "Shallan" is a false identity in part because she means that the smiley, quip-heavy persona she puts on for the world is a false face, and in part because she has a galloping case of untreated DID and frequently disassociates. Formless is quite explicitly named as a new persona, and the entire climax to Shallan's RoW plot hinges on the fact that Formless is not actually a persona at all, it's just Shallan wallowing in self-hatred.

Also, under this theory, how do you explain "I killed my father" and "I killed my mother" being accepted as Truths? They would not be true, that seems like a pretty major obstacle. Also, if Shallan tries to kill her mother as depicted, that means that original Shallan, not Chana, bonded Testament. So how is Testament a deadeye? Radiants dying doesn't kill their spren -- Syl was fine, Kaladin in RoW thinks about how every time one of his Windrunners dies, their spren immediately turns around and bonds a waiting squire. And, secondary questions, how does fake Shallan recognize Testament? She would have never seen the spren. How is fake Shallan bonded to Testament as a deadeye? And why are the Cryptics now trying to bond fake Shallan, if it was real Shallan they wanted? The bonds react to the soul; it doesn't matter how much Chana believes she's Shallan, that doesn't give her Shallan's soul, it doesn't give her Shallan's suitability to become a Lightweaver. And the Cryptics clearly didn't want her before; they sent a spren to her daughter, not her.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

We don't know how Invested the Heralds are without their Honorblades. Hell, we don't even know how Invested they are with their Honorblades, and it seems like nobody on Roshar can maintain permanent Investiture because the Light always wears out.

Stormlight We know that the Heralds got their Stormlight directly from Honor, like how Odium gives the Fused Voidlight, and based on all the poo poo Ishar pulled at the end of RoW it seems like that's still working? So they have essentially infinite investiture, just no powers to use it without either taking back their blades or forming a Nahel bond (or both lol Nale).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ojjeorago posted:

Stormlight We know that the Heralds got their Stormlight directly from Honor, like how Odium gives the Fused Voidlight, and based on all the poo poo Ishar pulled at the end of RoW it seems like that's still working? So they have essentially infinite investiture, just no powers to use it without either taking back their blades or forming a Nahel bond (or both lol Nale).
Ishar has his blade in that scene, though.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Read the Prologue and Chapter 1 of Alloy of Law

I'm going to enjoy this series. Guns. Speed bubbles. Robberies. Trains. Skyscrapers. An Aussie. I like it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Read the Prologue and Chapter 1 of Alloy of Law

I'm going to enjoy this series. Guns. Speed bubbles. Robberies. Trains. Skyscrapers. An Aussie. I like it.

Wait, who was the Aussie? You don't mean Wayne do you? He's clearly a Cockney Londoner

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, who was the Aussie? You don't mean Wayne do you? He's clearly a Cockney Londoner

I don't know man. He sounds like some Aussies I was drinking with while on a cruise back in December.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ok..Finished Part One of Alloy of Law

If I don’t pace myself reading this immaculate book, I’m not gonna be able to enjoy it for a while. This is has been a fun read so far. Bullet storm in a ballroom with allomantic and feruchemical powers. This reads like an epic John Wick scene with Magic. I love it. Also, rip Wayne’s lucky hat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I have finished Rhythm of War and I can now talk all Stormlight Spoilers! Praise the Stormfather!

I found this wild theory in the comments underneath the Prologue video. I have to agree.

Taln never broke :dukedog:

Let it be known that the planet broke before the guard.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Still a big fan of these books but I'm pretty annoyed with the latest kickstarter site he's using. Spammy survey emails, requests for more info than is needed to fulfill my request, attempts to upsell me after I've already pledged, yuck. Will be skipping future ones if he sticks with backerkit.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Mannn. Oathbringer part 3 wastes no time getting to some good poo poo.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Spammy survey emails, requests for more info than is needed to fulfill my request, attempts to upsell me after I've already pledged, yuck.

Other than giving the option for add-ons during the survey I don't remember any of this? The only survey I got was the one that was necessary to fulfill my order

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The experience was identical to confirming my pledge for the last one. Which is unsurprising, given that pledge fufillment for the last one was also done by Backerkit.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Alloy of Law - Chapter 9

I love how casual Wayne is about the poisoned tea.

"Ah gently caress mate, tea's poisoned."

Got a good chuckle out of that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I can see the complaint. There is a lot of options and just stuff in the new KS, though. There's two sets of a dozen options for the spren plushes and the Radiant packs alone, that's even without the project and books.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

The experience was identical to confirming my pledge for the last one. Which is unsurprising, given that pledge fufillment for the last one was also done by Backerkit.
The last one I participated in was 4 secret novels and that was on Kickstarter unless I'm misremembering.

Echophonic posted:

I can see the complaint. There is a lot of options and just stuff in the new KS, though. There's two sets of a dozen options for the spren plushes and the Radiant packs alone, that's even without the project and books.
Yeah maybe it's less of a backerkit problem and more a problem with the direction the Dragonsteel team went with this one. I am very uninterested in anything aside from the new books themselves (in e-book format), and this one is very focused on physical rewards. Happy for them to make money giving the people what they want, but I would love it if I could just get the e-books without having to wade through all of it multiple times, be required to give a physical shipping address, and generally immerse myself back into what feels like the icky corporate consumerism that these crowdfunding initiatives are supposed to be sidestepping.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 19, 2024

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The crowdfunding campaign is for the words of radiance leatherbound FYI so the physical reward aspect is kind of the point of the whole thing. I haven't had any more forms or emails or things than I did from either of the last 2 campaigns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

The crowdfunding campaign is for the words of radiance leatherbound FYI so the physical reward aspect is kind of the point of the whole thing. I haven't had any more forms or emails or things than I did from either of the last 2 campaigns
Oh come on. Sure, lots of people wanted the leatherbound book, but the actual draw for most was the new secret project book, and they very clearly structured this to prop up the physical goods sales with the new book release. This is the equivalent of making you walk through the gift shop after you visit the museum and it's annoying and icky. And not to blow this out of proportion, but Brandon is typically a shining example of how to do things right, so it's also a bit disappointing coming from his team.

Numbers from backerkit:
45k people (43%) opted for a leatherbound reward that includes the secret project book + dragonsteel prime
57k people (56%) opted for only the new book release (about 60% of which wanted the physical books vs. 40% wanting ebooks)