Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

veekie posted:

Pretty sure it's pre editing.

Now Im just imagining him submitting the most ridiculous stuff. "Vroom! Crash! Then the box thing exploded, but He used his sweet powers to block it" And his editor just nodding politely before it gets passed off to an interpretation team to make somehow publishable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'd actually recommend skipping steelheart. I didn't particularly enjoy it and a good ten people who I know who've also read it didn't either. I'd say Elantris was better. But if you've read Rithmatist and mistborn your hooked on Branderson. Also: Legion. Pretty cool.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

apophenium posted:

There was a Dalinar chapter I read that was talking about Callings and Glories and getting Elevated which came across to me as like videogame stuff. Adolin even talked about doing "personal goals" (quests). Am I just projecting this stuff on here or is it like an intended thing? It's really strange.

Well its mostly their religion. Comparing it to an RPG wouldn't be to far off.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tunicate posted:

The way distant future:

Sixth of the Dusk

For some reason my brain assumed the space people from Sixth of Dusk are actually Elantrians. I don't know if there was a subtle clue I didn't realize I picked up on behind that assumption or if its just wild conjecture.

Which makes sense to me because:
Their powers and tech allow for advanced travel. Advances lead to spacefaring warships. Spacefaring warships + Shard Magic leads to cross Cosmere travel. Hence traveling to Sel through the Shadesmar is "Difficult" only because its actively guarded.

e; Disclaimer: I actively avoid the 17th shard forums, I only read what Sanderson himself said.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 19, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Modern language in prose is something that has never bothered me at all. The reverse is true. I dislike when authors try to use Ye Olde Language to explain something. Why stress yourself as a writer and more importantly stressing your readers with full sentences dedicated to a simple concept. Anachronism? Maybe, but we have a word for it. Its a book written in English.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
How is he so good at writing perfectly sized books. I want more. I want so much more. Yet I know that it would be incredibly difficult even for Sanderson to write a full series at that breakneck pace of plot perfection. It's concise, well written, I loved pretty much everything past the first few pages. The twist was a fantastic punch go the gut.

I desperately want more but can't see how it could live up to that.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 1, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

syphon posted:

Am I reading this correctly, in that you're ranking Gentleman Bastards (which contains a description of how young red-headed girls are cut open and then raped to death for supposed curative properties) as LESS gritty than Stormlight, WoT, and Mistborn?

Don't get me wrong, I think the Gentleman Bastards (well, the first book really) is the best fantasy I've ever read, but I'd bump it a few notches over on your scale there!

Also an execution by drowning in horse piss.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I wonder if the shard pools will become the simple key to cross planet transportation. If you can will yourself to not dissolve in them you could probably will yourself into any other shardpool.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Superstring posted:

I'll enjoy Rithmatist forever simply due to the fact that it's his "I made a magic system inspired by Pro Starcraft" series.

I always thought it was more of "I made a magic system inspired by childrens sidewalk chalk"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

So reading Aether of Night thanks to this and its a pretty great Christmas present. Even if its not up to his recent standards its still fun.

Plus fanboying everywhere on my part, of course I'll love it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah. You can tell a lot bits that were adapted for mistborn. And some thats very similar to the shard plate in Stormlight. Character archetypes Etc. I did enjoy it. Still plan on emailing back my detailed feelings on it as a courtesy. It does have it's flaws. Much like Elantris. Although it had pacing issues I didn't feel as if as he stated "it's two books in one"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nah, I read Chapter 1 and it was a mistake because I wanted to read the rest of the book and instead I was left hanging and waiting...

waiting...

:emo:

At least with the big man the waiting is always short.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

rndmnmbr posted:

Thoughts?

Thats still not FTL, its just a long distance traveled in a short time for the passengers. In your system you'd leave Sel and arrive on Scadriel X100 real years later, not very useful. I'm sure cadmium is used to make the trip less arduous for the passengers, just the food savings or the need for less living space is a huge benefit.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

OAquinas posted:

Plus, he was the one who gave the metalmind to Wax.

I think we should start calling them Coppercoins

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Or travel will just be what the rest of the planet hoppers do, just on an industrial scale. Moving their physical selves through the cognitive realm since there seems to be no real trans-planetary distance there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I would make a fun TV show or video game. Much like most of Sanderson. I'm ok with that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Sanderson's aware of his issues. That can lead to a lot of growth from an author. Same thing with Aether of Night, which I think might make a better comic then anything else. You can really see the character archtypes and story beats that he's reused elsewhere. Still enjoyable though.

I don't know if its even remotely cannon but (Aether of Night)
One thing I wondered was if the two gods were each their own shard and if their 'father' was a shattered shard or if they all just form one shard that had been partially broken three ways. I feel like one of the Cosmere worlds having three vicious shards in one place would be a bit overkill.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mortanis posted:

RE: Atium - Bloody Tan in the Alloy of Law prologue seemed to be burning Atium. I know that Lessie wasn't on the up and up and possibly got herself shot deliberately based on Shadows of Self, but Tan explicitly is the one that pulls her into the path of the bullet.

Its implied that Tan would have been killed by Wax's shot had Paalm not jerked her head into the path. Wax simply interprets this in retrospect as Tan being fast enough to yank Lessie into the path. That is, yank an entire body at the exact moment he fired, then stand there confused for a moment while Wax shot him too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Xaris posted:

Yeah I agree. Seemed like he's poking fun at himself several times.

Bands was really good and a nice surprise. The sex scene with transgendered immortal thing was pretty funny, especially later when everyone is looking way Wayne as MeLaan is shifting into a guy and hes just like "What are you staring at??? I dress up as a girl all the time makes perfect sense to me that someone would dress up as a guy!". Not something I expected to see coming from Sanderson but I think that made it all the more amusing.

I thought Kandra were specifically Agender and not Transgendered? Very specific difference.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Shovelmint posted:

I may have a problem. Bought Rithmatist yesterday, finished it today. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though it definitely leaves a lot hanging. Rapidly running out of his stuff.

Rithmatist was great and I love the magic system in it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ask him if Aether of Night has a future. Because I really liked it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I just got the white sands pushed to my kindle. Loving it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
To me Malazan is a better version of Game of Thrones.

Its brutal but I liked it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Iunnrais posted:

I tried reading it, and found it impenetrable, and you've convinced me that the impenetrability won't change, so I'll keep away. The "Culture" series seems to be similar?

Iain M Banks Culture series is really sort of a genre defining series for space opera sci-fi. But its told as a series of vignettes into the lives of people who either live in or interact with the Culture and the stories are only vaguely linked by time/setting/characters, and each explores different themes in a futuristic society.

The later books were some of my favorites both because of my build up of appreciation for the series and Banks continual improvement as a writer. Seconding Player of Games/Use of Weapons as the best place to start.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Speculation but some light spoilers, just a thought I had after edgedancer Im starting to think Lift might be much older than she thinks. She's either immortal because it was part of her gift or her healing powers accidentally have locked her into being young forever. I suspect her gift was to be able to convert food into investiture at the cost of her memory and perception of time. Since she's the only surge binder to be able to do that her body is continually healing stunting growth, as long as she's not starving. Also one of her oaths is distinctly about remembering.

Somehow in Lifts mind she's crossed Roshar twice in only three years. Multiple things she's said and what Brandon has said bring that into question.

But conversely I'm now convinced that the night watcher is Cultivation. What better way to utilize your exceptional future sight among shardbearers than to 'cultivate' unique skills in people. Also wyndle calls himself a cultivation spren.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I almost feel like re-reading Aether of Night, I'm looking forward to a day when that gets a proper rewrite. Its pretty good in the discarded draft phase its in now. Sadly you can definitely tell arc elements he reused for other books. It also has one of the cosmere magic systems that would fit well in video game mechanics.

(Technically anyone can read if it they just email and ask for a copy, but agree not to share it or talk about specifics online)

E;
Also i'm thinking that from edgedancer Arclo, the bug immortal guy, is from Yolan and can lightweave in their style

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 11, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

mallamp posted:

I've really struggled with the new Mistborn books, YA trilogy, short stories etc. and today I realized that I actually dislike-hate everything by Sanderson except Strormlight Archives. (Neutral on Warbreaker for some random reason)

How about emperors soul?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Pash posted:

"Status: A long way off. Though it might still beat that one book by that other author."

I literally laughed out loud in my office when I read that.

Rothfuss or GRRM? :rimshot:

Edit:

quote:

Things are looking good for Stormlight and Roshar, and not just because we are working on a film. I’m excited for you to read the next installment.

I didn't know this was a thing and I hope it turns out well.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 19, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've been rewording Stormlight and I thought of something else too. The parchendi claim that spren betrayed them and bonded with humans instead. And it's implied that the void spren of Odium essentially enslaveved them. The dustbringers were known to be a very combat effective order, and known to be destructive.

quote:

and when they dealt with others, always were they firm in their claim that other epithets, notably "Dustbringers," often heard in the common speech, were unacceptable substitutions, in particular for their similarity to the word "Voidbringers." They did also exercise anger in great prejudice regarding it, though to many who speak, there was little difference between these two assemblies.

The question that quote left me with is why people would confuse knights radiant with monsters, even if they were destructive. So my new hypothesis is now that the voidbringers proper were humans who bonded voidspren to gain power ala storm form.

Edit;
To add:

I'm just going to block quote the quotes that I'm reading into.

quote:

“The betrayal of spren has brought us here.
They gave their Surges to human heirs,
But not to those who know them most dear, before us.
'Tis no surprise we turned away
Unto the gods we spent our days
And to become their molding clay, they changed us. ”

quote:

“So Melishi retired to his tent, and resolved to destroy the Voidbringers upon the next day, but that night did present a different stratagem, related to the unique abilities of the Bondsmiths; and being hurried, he could make no specific account of his process; it was related to the very nature of the Herald and their divine duties, an attribute the Bondsmiths alone could address.

The thrid quote that I can't find again is that about how they were first helped finding dullform, and then workform, by going out into the highstorms to change.

What I think happened is that while the Parshmen were creations of Odium it was only the bond with the voidspren that was inherently dangerous. Melishi was a bonds smith and was able to use his link to the storm father to break the bond of the voidspren, and then transition them to bonding with the spren that makes them into workform. Essentially stealing away Odium's army and bringing them into the ecosystem of Roshar and the spren of Honor and Cultivation.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 23, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Torrannor posted:

-Wacky adventures with Jasnah and Hoid!
-The Lopen glowing

These two are high on my list.

Evil Fluffy posted:

- Some explanation of how Nightblood got in to Nale's hands since Vasher seems unlikely to just hand it over to someone else and if Nale is somehow Vasher as well then that adds a hell of a lot of other questions.

Nale is not Vasher, that much is sure. Vasher (As Zahel) lost/gave away the blade "years" ago in his interlude, but I tend to surmise he gave it away willingly, probably directly to Nale.

Other things I hope to see at some point in Stormlight:
-What the hell is the stuff you wrap shardblades in to make them safe
-Someone getting Hoid's flute back, stupid Kal leaving it.
-Whether something Forged on Sel retains its shape elsewhere, since as far as I can tell Forging is essentially Soulcasting through a different means.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Fezz posted:

It's probably aluminum. Has similar properties on Scadrial.

That almost would make sense, but whatever it is is too brittle to make an anti-shard shield out of, and the material changes shape to wrap the blade edge. Aluminum changing shape I could attribute to investiture in the blades sure, but why would it be exceptionally brittle when not bonded to a blade?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Dalinar's blade will be highstorms. Wield them carefully.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The other invading of a shardblade we saw only took a moment as well. The wielded just had to summon the blade and touch the gemstone. Then while willing it to unbound the gemstone flashed once and was severed. Hardly difficult so much as simply a deliberate act.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

gohmak posted:

I just finished Mistborn Secret History. Did I miss what became of the device Kelsier stole?

He used it to temporarily make himself compatible with Preservation to hold it in one piece between Leras dying and Vin getting her earring yanked out

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think he meant Anime, and not just simply animated? I could see him not wanting it done in that style while still being fine with a more western animation style.

Now I'm picturing mistborn done with the tech that made Archer, just with a borderlands style cell shaded filter.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It's more that secret history is in itself a huge spoiler by tying together certain things on the level of shards and cosmere.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SarandonBranderson posted:

If it helps, though, any medium effort or even slightly higher effort post can get a complimentary copy of THE ANNOYOMANCER from me. .

I'll bite the bullet, I'm sure I can get plenty of comedy posts out of it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ok thread give me the 411 on if that bundle is good

I guess if you want the audio book for war breaker but other than that it's mostly just his short stories

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Three chapters every Tuesday isn't enough to sate me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Avalerion posted:

Could email Brandon and ask for a copy of white sand. Emperor's soul also doesn't spoil anything for Elantris, I think.

You can also email him for aether of night, which has been removed from cannon and gutted for parts, but is still an interesting example of early sanderson