Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

It isn't too late to fess up quietly.

Beats having some potentially hostile skybreaker figure it out.

confessing his crime and investigating the copycat is how Adolin becomes a skybreaker :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Torrannor posted:

Wow!

Where has he gotten a Radiant with sprenblade from?

Huh?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Maybe they won't gently caress up being a couple through direct fault of their own. Maybe instead the world will ruin it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm pissed the shipping copy's website isn't working.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ordered a signed and personalized copy today. Only one more month.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

She still blames Amaram, so I highly doubt it.

If Kal told her I suspect she wouldn't be mad, since he'd include the full story, including what Amaram did to him in detail, and then Shallan will have closure and STILL be mad at Amaram.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Subvisual Haze posted:

Syl was probably just guessing in the same paragraph that she calls the yellow-spren a Voidspren she also repeatedly refers to it as "he". I think it's a very old Adonalsium spren, so old it doesn't fall into either Odium or Honor/Cultivation's camps

Thats really far out there for theories.

I'd just guess it was the spren for one of the parshman who's a radiant, Syl is just ignorant of much of her kind, like pattern.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Avalerion posted:

Shallan's schyzo episodes are unevering but I asume they are supposed to be. That aside I actually like her expect for when Brandon tries to do scatological " humor" with her.

I remember being annoyed by her on first read but in hindsight that was really just because I wanted to get back to the shattered plains stuff.

I can't remover her having episodes before this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In my head everyone starts at Italian tan and just gets darker from there.

I hope in whatever eventual adaptation the cosmere gets everybody keeps their book cannon, rather than being white. You just have to do it Star Trek style with a little prosthetic and makeup, not too difficult.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Proteus Jones posted:

So much to unpack in these chapters.

Also, Bridge 4!

HOWEVER

:colbert: needs more Lopen.

Lopen's got two many arms for real page time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If Re-Shephir was influencing the geometry of the tower, and making it dangerous and difficult to navigate due to unnatural twistyness, could it have also been influencing the words the span reeds were carrying? Or perhaps another Odium-spren? Because i'm feeling echos of Ruin in mistborn messing with everyones heads. Best case Re-Shephir now knows way to much insider knowledge from Shallan sitting in on all the planning meetings and is going to come back to bite them before long.

Also pumped for Dalinars appearance as a giant sky face with that Queen and, hopefully get her to willingly ask for, the Honor memories getting crammed through her skull.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cartoon Man posted:

I always thought Hoid was going to some day put together the Cosmere version of the Justice Leaugue.

I picture Hoid more like Lex Luthor. He's in it for his own goals, and understands that destroying everything runs counter productive to those goals. Allies, Powers, kingdoms to draw upon in the future. Even a Shardborn (Mistbearer?) can't fight a war without logistical support.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Lobsterpillar posted:

I've got the audiobook on pre-order, that way it's a bit less jarring to re-read all the preview chapters.

I haven't listened to any of the audiobooks for Sandersons books.

Are they James Marsters good or are they mediocre?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well now for realzies i have to avoid this thread for a week. Too much risk of mousing over the wrong spoilers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Just finished Part two. And drat have I been enjoying this

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tunzie posted:

For question 2: I think that's meant to be Vivenna. I noticed she's a lot better at not dropping inappropriate colour metaphors then Vasher is.

That was my gut feeling too. If I'm not the only one then I'm fairly certain that's what Brandon intended

love that her sword sucked the color out of its victims

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I want to reread Words of Radiance and Oathbringer again, because I had lots of theorys pop into my head that I should have written down.

I'm suspecting that the Unmade were the spren of the original 10 dawnshards that cultivation and honor brought into the world. Originally Honor was on Ashyn, but ended up fleeing to be with cultivation on Roshar. Odium and men wound up corrupting 9 of the 10, the nightmother being the 10th. (Since Brandon says one of the 10 is different, which I would interpret as uncorrupted) Much like the deadeyes highspren. However cultivation's influence within them allows them to continue to grow and think and break free of the corruption of Odium. I'm actually partial to thinking that the seed of cultivation combined with the strong emotions of odium actually makes it inevitable that they will eventually find their sanity again. I also suspect that the golden knife is essentially a fabrial with the essence of one of the unmade at its heart, a corrupted shadow of the dawnshard it used to be made to destroy.

On the bright side I think Sanderson in his more religious talks has made it clear that nothing can ever destroy someones soul in the cosmere. So the knife didn't destroy Jesriens Soul so much as broke apart whatever sliver of Honor that was granting him physical immortality. "Go straight to final rest in the spiritual realm, do not pass go, do not collect 200 broams." Since he hinted that Nightblood also doesn't completely destroy souls, just instagibs them to the afterlife.

I really want to know what powers besides futuresight and prediction Odium's Investiture. Rennarian definitely reverse-corrupting a void spren is going to be interesting.

Now I want to reread and piece together more coherant ideas from the rest thats popped into my head.

Potato Salad posted:

hhhooolllyyyyyy ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck its sazed

I'm fairly certain it isn't at all. Even not knowing specifically who you're thinking of.

Although Dalinar is now a Sliver of Honor like the heralds and weirdness may occur. Touching the power of a shard temporarily has always ended in weirdness before.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 19, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

OAquinas posted:

He's in this book though, albeit via the chapter-starting letters.
He's starting to Do the Homework and knows about the threat Rayse is, and is sympathetic to people trying to do things about it, but he's almost paralyzed by the opposing shards and even says so directly. I don't think he has any part in the book other than that.

Oh yeah, I knew that, I thought he meant showing up/direct contact. I'm assuming he's speaking to Hoid in the following letter that starts at ch53.

quote:

Friend, Your letter is most intriguing, even revelatory.

I would have thought, before attaining my current station, that a deity could not be surprised. Obviously this is not true. I can be surprised. I can perhaps even be naive, I think. I am the least equipped of all, to aid you in this endeavor. I am finding that the powers I hold are in such conflict that the most simple of actions can be difficult. I am also made uncertain by your subterfuge. Why have you not made yourself known to me before this? How is it you can hide? Who are you truly, and how do you know so much about Adonalsium? If you would speak to me further, I request open honesty. Return to my lands, approach my servants, and I will see what I can do for your quest

Which seems to be another message that Hoid received in answer to his inquiry's. The first one which was seemingly responded too by a different Shard than intended.

quote:

Cephandrius, bearer of the First Gem. You must have known better than to approach us by relying upon presumption of past relationship. You have spoken to one who cannot respond. We, instead, will take your communication to us - though we know not how you located us upon this world. We are indeed intrigued, for we thought it well hidden. Insignificant among our many realms. As the waves of the sea must continue to surge, so must our will continue resolute. Alone. Did you expect anything from us? We need not suffer the interference of another. Rayse is contained, and we care not for his prison. Indeed, we admire his initiative. Perhaps if you had approached the correct one of us with your plea, it would have found favorable audience. But we stand in the sea, pleased with our domains. Leave us Alone. We also instruct that you should not return to Obrodai. We have claimed that world, and a new avatar of our being is beginning ot manifest there. She is young yet, and - as a precaution - she has been instilled with an intense and overpowering dislike of you. This is all we will say at this time. If you wish more, seek these waters in person and overcome the tests we have created. Only in this will you earn our respect.

Which I suspect may be the yet unnamed Shard who only wants to hide and survive

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 19, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe, since If Dalinar survives to speak the Fifth Ideal as a Bondsmith he'll probably be at the point of ascension to become Honor or some other shard depending on the state of Odium and Cultivation at that point.

Im kind of hoping he gets killed, and now that he's a sliver of honor thanks to what he just did, he gets the lingering death treatment Kelsier got. Then he swears the fifth ideal from beyond the grave as he reunites the fragments of honor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Torrannor posted:

Which wouldn't do him much good, since Secret History clearly establishes that you need to have a (living) physical body to take up a shard.

Nah, Kelsier held Preservation for a bit thanks to the sphere, yet he was definitely dead. Ruins words were: "Look at you, Kelsier! You haven’t form or shape. You’re not alive, you’re an idea. A memory of a man holding the power will never be as potent as a real one with ties to all three Realms.”" A body isn't required, but ties and Connection is the key. Dalinar is a bondsmith and in fairly certain the power of Connection would persist even were he to be recently dead.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Astrognome posted:

I didn't see this coming either. For some reason when they were trying to figure out who would replace the king, my mind went immediately to Sebarial (sp?). Which would also have been hilarious, although he didn't have any sensible claim to the throne.

I actually made that immediate assumption too. Since Shallan has been spending so much time with Sebarial, and is the one making the suggestion after always commenting on how competent he is behind his act. The real surprise was even better.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

jebrown84 posted:

And any Kandra we don't know about.

Super spys on MY planet? Why I never...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The silence divine is unpublished and not related to shadows for silence in the forests of hell.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Both Shallan and Wit are clever, but not half as clever and good as Jasnah is written.

Personal opinions at work in this thread.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In retrospect Wayne must be feeling pretty smug for getting grief about MeLaan once the dust had settled and it turned out Wax had been sleeping with a Kandra for years.

Sab669 posted:

Seriously one of my favorite quotes from the entire book. Just the mental image of this bitter, old Lighteyed keeling over is perfect.

Best actual quote from a character:

Like that is the most offensive thing he's ever heard in his life.

My thoughts too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My theory is still that the night-watcher was/would have been the 10th, and either the unmade are 9 of cultivation's 10 that odium corrupted, or the night-watcher is the 10th that cultivation corrupted away from odium.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'd still put my money on him becoming the first skybreaker not in Nales cult

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Captain Monkey posted:

Did they ever explain how a world with large amounts of very important metals like gold and iron were burned up to fuel superpowers there'd be enough metal easily mined to make spaceships and stuff?

Or is it just a super metal rich world? Or am I just :spergin: ?

To quote a wholly unrelated post written by qntm,

quote:

The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily. So my first piece of advice to you, dear would-be Earth-destroyer, is: do NOT think this will be easy.

planets are BIG and have A LOT of metal. Or, to keep with the quotations, 'Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is.'

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm still waiting for a form of investiture that lets you change the working size of an object.

Combining fecuchemically Identity altering structures with being able to burn a solid ton of pure steel with Duralumin, boom, instant rocket ship. Add in allomantic mass reduction and using that to shift around rotational inertia to get easy reaction wheels and artificial gravity by centripetal force

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I think much like kelsier couldn’t hold preservation for more then a few hours dalinar couldn’t hold honor alone. He’s too attunded to three shards to hold only one, so the back half may be him slowly combining and accessing splinters of honor and cultivation, forcing odium to further invest himself to match. And eventually Odium will over commit himself and Dalinar will rip the shard from Rayse, who will endure as a sliver himself.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bewilderment posted:

My favourite scene in Oathbringer was DESTROY! EVIL! because it was written in a pretty cool way and also up until that point I don't think we've ever seen anyone succesfully wield Nightbane. I don't think I remember it actually happening in Warbreaker except for maybe in the final fight that I don't remember.

Yeah investiture hanging around on roshar is much easier to move around and Dalinar had just opened up essentially an unlimited spigot thanks to the perpendicularity. Nightblood burns investiture at an insane rate. But between Nightblood and Shallan's phantom army (and Jasnah soulcasting all over the place) they probably went through a few million breaths worth during the battle. I still want a hard number from Brandon about how many broams of stormlight stores are equivalent to a breath. Or maybe a better way to ask him is "How many infused broams does a breath cost in shadesmar" since he has only given a very vague answer to this before.

And yeah Vasher used nightblood for a little bit to vaporize some walls and some of the thrall army during the finale of Warbreaker.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think the move now is toward Shallan slowly learning to cope and accepting her personality rather than trying to section it off into different acts. Wouldn't be character growth otherwise.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I was enjoying the developments in Kal-Shallan-Adolin land. They felt fine to me. Which one were you referring too as cringe worthy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

No Mating was the best scene in the book. Maybe guys just don't get it :shrug:

Yeah I loved that one. But I can understand how you could lay the criticism that they’re too Mormon for teenagers in a war camp.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah they made a big point on how there were only a small number (40ish?) of bridge four left alive, and it had become more an elite fighting force and potential squire recruits and had a whole ton of new people trying to become warriors and glow.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Fun is not only allowed, but encouraged.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Dalinar originally asked the nightwatcher for “forgiveness” and when cultivation showed up she offered to “prune him” so that he may grow into the man he would need to be. And when she asked if Dalinar was willing to bear the cost of losing memories he accepted

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Way of King’s is a huge improvement over Elantris but does start with what I consider a misstep. The whole prologue reading like a video game tutorial

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

There is the series prelude the heralds 45 centuries in the past abandoning their pact

Then there is the book one prologue the assassin in white before he is cool

Then there is the start of book one where kaladin is briefly not depressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That was just a huge quantity of stored feruchemical speed, but I’m sure compounding was used to generate and store that much to begin with. In Bands of Mourning Marasai was at ~75x speed. With access to compounding you could likely maintain that or even a little faster indefinitely. I’m curious where Brandon eventually sets the upper limit on Harmony powered speed.

E; for reference even 15x speed would be enough to break the sound barrier on something like an arm jerk, as low as 10x for a baseball pitch.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 9, 2018