Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

pik_d posted:

But how much is there that you aren't even aware you don't know? :thunk:

Luckily in at least one case, Brandon very clearly decided to make up a whole ton of convoluted and nonsensical backstory just to create more secrets. So maybe we'll never run out of things we don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

pik_d posted:

Stormlight Words of Radiance Chapters 26-34 & Part 2 Interludes (Second half of Part 2)
The epigraphs have some good information about spren and even a mention of the Voidbringers entering the listeners songs. Interesting that the listeners are too close to the Cognitive Realm for the spren to use them, so they turned "traitor" and sought out the humans. Seems like everyone things everyone else is some kind of traitor, humans, spren, now listeners. The final stanza seems to even be about Odium, with their gods being splinters of a soul (Adonalsium, or specifically one of the shards?) who seeks to take control.

These chapters also had me thinking there was a real chance of Eshonai meeting up with Dalinar, but her converting to stormform at the end has squashed that completely. She has changed so much that the "old" her is screaming somewhere deep inside her. Stormform to me seems like it is distinctly of Odium in the way that Honorspren is of Honor. This is very much getting close to the destruction mentioned in Navani's journal epigraphs. I'm also curious about Eshonai's red eyes, Thude says something about the songs, but I don't see anything obvious. I do remember that Thunderclasts also have red eyes, and one of the death quotes in WoK mentioned red eyes, but also "they are the rocks" so that's more pointedly the Thunderclasts.

So much of the lore is mixed up, mostly because the old ardents literally changed the Vorinism religion, but I'm finally convinced that the Stormfather/Rider of the Storm is a massive spren. I also liked the conversations between him and Kaladin and Eshonai. The Stormfather seems convinced that men will fail, and Kaladin will eventually kill Syl. I hope he's just distrustful of mankind, and it's not some kind of inherent effect from the bond, though Pattern seemed to have a similar worry.

Shallan is continuing to learn how to be a strong woman in this world, still pulling from Jasnah (who isn't dead) and also learning some ruthlessness from Tyn (who is dead). I really was wondering if Tyn was going to try to take Shallan captive when they arrived at the camps, but she didn't take her own advice and trusted Shallan just a bit too much. Really should have screened the spanreed messages better. Shallan did say a few things that made me wonder exactly what they meant though.

Why would it not have to be ten for her? That's very out of nowhere as far as I can tell, is she just not used to it? Was there a time when it wasn't ten for her? And she's alive because of it again? Does that have to do with one of her parents death? I could come up with various scenarios to fit it, but there's so many ways to approach it.

Shallan's got a lot to juggle going forward, even with Tyn out of the way I'm guessing she'll further use her illusion powers to see what the Ghostbloods are up to, I'm wondering if Helaran will be among them. Shallan also has to deal with the fact that, eventually, she'll meet up with Adolin, Dalinar, and Kaladin will be there. I can't wait for his double take when she's not a Horneater. I do wish that either Pattern or Syl had said something about the other, but I guess neither saw the other spren.

Why do I feel like Teft disappearing is important? I don't think I see him again in this part of the book. I haven't been suspicious of him until literally right now when Brandon goes "Hey isn't it weird that this guy can't be found??"

The "Son of Honor" line that the Stormfather calls Kaladin brings me back to "Child of Tanavast. Child of Honor." from WoK. Back then I wasn't sure what that meant, but if Honor is the Almighty's shard, then is Tanavast the Almighty's actual name?

A lot was all happening at the same time before Szeth showed up, Pattern and Syl having similar reactions really set the mood though. Then the fight scene itself had a few small lines that feel very important. Dalinar catching the Shardblade was wild. He doesn't even have Shardplate anymore, though I do suspect that him listening to he Almighty's answering machine could be spren related, which would make him a new Radiant like Kaladin and Shallan and Jasnah (who isn't dead).

Szeth's realizations that he isn't as special as he thought/feared/hoped is the main thing though. It absolutely rocks his perspective. It seems his Truthless title seems to be from him claiming something about "them" (the Heralds? Voidbringers? Radiants?) being back. Brings me back to his prologue in WoK.

I might also have to consider that Szeth is a Voidbringer, though he can't hold Stormlight perfectly. Maybe he's a Herald of Odium, instead of a Herald of the Almighty. I feel like I should be able to nail this down. Syl also claims he doesn't have a spren, though I'm not 100% convinced she's correct. She also mentions his Shardblade seems different, so I'm leaning towards him being a Herald, but I'm not sure of who.

However, what I'm hoping he notices is that he now has a reason to stop considering himself Truthless. I don't think he'll do that immediately, he might seek more proof. But if he's no longer Truthless, he doesn't have to care about his Oathstone anymore. I do feel like Odium is manipulating his life in a similar way to how Ruin manipulated people over on Scadrial, so he won't let go so easily if that's true.

Zahel is Vasher. (Full transparency, someone I know who has read the series confirmed this for me after I got here.) I was getting some vibes off him already, the cheek thing had me side tracked that he was the assassin from WoK's prologue and Ym's interlude, but the "Green from the ground" thing was like a signal fire for me. It just screamed Awakening magic system to me, not sure I understand the actual metaphor though. I looked back at Zahel's mentions, and he wore ropes like Zahel, he's ageless (fifth Heightening), can recognize when people are approaching him (first Heightening), and he's got similar swordfight abilities, and has a "strange accent" according to Kaladin. He's Vasher, and he's gonna train Kaladin. I love it.

Taln is a big loving mess and someone needs to unscramble his brain. Interesting that Hoid just hosed off after a while though.

Progress so far:

Interesting...

fake edit: one of your latest guesses is 100% on the money, but I'm not gonna say which one

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

pik_d posted:

You mean in addition to the Zahel is Vasher one?

Yes in addition to that. Probably a few things, but you hit the nail squarely on the head with something I hadn't fully squared away until later in the book

edit:

I'm not going to confirm or deny your speculation around Eshonai's red eyes, but I will say that this detail has cosmere significance and you're smart to pick up on it. keep that detail in mind in the future.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 6, 2023

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

This is one of the few things I feel like doesn't make much sense for this book either way you slice it since (Mistborn Era 2 spoilers) Atium isn't one of the "main 16 metals" so if it's making misting that react to each metal, it should have been like 1/17th.

All Cosmere spoilers Yeah there are a bunch of things that are clearly wrong or retconned in Mistborn, and this was pretty glaring on a re-read (along with mistakes/issues with Lerasium, steel pushing and some of the hemalurgical skills). It feels poor thought out originally, and then just makes no sense with later context. Especially now that the Atium we see has now been retconned to be an atium alloy lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Soulcasting is weird in that most of the transformations result in a single material at the end, some are clearly different. WOK spoilers It is capable of making food and, more importantly, blood. Maybe you could make a simulacrum of grain that is just a matrix of carbs and proteins without being made of actual cells, like with a Star Trek replicator, but blood soulcasting seems to produce blood that is actually blood (or works the same as blood). So maybe there's more to learn about soulcasting, maybe it has limitations we haven't explored, or maybe it's not as limited as we currently believe

CapnAndy posted:

You're misremembering what the soulstamps could do, then. Shai can convince an object it had an alternate history, but actually transforming one material into another is expressly beyond her powers. She calls out how impossible it'd be to turn lead to gold, because "oh everyone hosed up and some gold got into the lead factory somehow and nobody noticed" strains plausibility well past its breaking point, but someone with a hypothetical gold soulcaster could turn anything into gold.

I'm not sure this is strictly true, based on everything Brandon has said about soulstamps. I think it's more that transformations like that are gonna be really hard to pull off, not impossible. In The Lost Metal, I forget if the Elantrian transformation required an infusion of raw power to pull off, or if that was only needed after (sorry I can't look it up right now). But if it's the former, that implies that implausible transformations might be able to be finagled if you give it more gas, right?

But IMO the weird unexplored aspect of soulcasting is that it can make aluminum, but its a one-way transformation only. That feels like it shouldn't work!

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 20, 2023

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Brandon's reaction when someone asked if soulcast blood is human blood, is soulcast meat human meat? was pretty funny, because he just realized that chouta was solyent green and needed a quick way to deny it.

This? lmao
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/171-oathbringer-release-party/#e8161

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes, it required a lot of the 'special sauce' as it were. Something rare and very valuable even among world hoppers.

I’ll need to look up the relevant WoBs, but it might also be making up for the investiture deficient in that transformation.

Also need to see if he ever came up with better lingo around investiture, because wrt the metallic arts, he conflated investiture (potential) with the ability to use investiture. Very annoying.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

pik_d posted:

Mistborn Shadows of Self Chapter 5-13 (1st half of Part 2)

@Mordiceius - there are some spren mechanic spoilers relating to how they come to remember things, which you might know by now?

For the second time in a Mistborn era, the second book has very strong political themes, but this one is way more fun. It's also not strictly a political thriller in the same way the Well of Ascension was. I do like how some of what has the workers upset connects directly to Era 1, with the factory ash replacing the ashmounts.

"Wasing the always of wanting of knowing" is High Imperial? And considered deep words? Spook. Please. :cmon:

The mystery of Idashwy came and went pretty quickly, and with it an explosion of Hemalurgy knowledge for Wax, Wayne, Marasi, and even a few side characters. The pace of this book is so incredibly different from Stormlight, I understand why Mordiceius' opinions of it and WoK are so different. Paalm/Bleeder is certainly interesting, given that her existence (and some of the other kandra) disproves some ideas I held after the end of Era 1. I thought that the kandra who removed their spikes were lost to us, in terms of their personhood and identity. Kandra being the "faceless immortals" should have been obvious, but I thought it was just a silly name some group thought of, like the various religions. I'm guessing Sazed fixed that after ascending, but just didn't think about it on page.
(Spren spoilers) I see some parallels to Syl and other spren here. In both cases the individual reverted to a base creature-like state, but once they're "complete" with spikes or a bond, they basically just remember their lost knowledge. (Spren spoilers)

It's also incredible to me, after reading through the Wheel of Time, and now Mistborn Era 1 and a few Stormlight books, that characters are actually communicating with each other. It is not surprising that it literally took an intervention by God to make it happen. I really was happy to see Sazed back on page, (and Hoid in the same scene :tinfoil: ) and in classic Sazed fashion he starts off with "Unfortunately, ".

I was right about Bloody Tan being a kandra though! I was surprised by the fact that it seems like he was ALWAYS a kandra, so far as in this story. Bleeder has been around for a long time, and that does explain how Tan was able to kill Lessie. Also explains why the prologue went back to her. Bleeder using only one spike is pretty wild though, and being able to use a Hemalurgic spike at that. The method of switching spikes is pretty metal too. I'm curious about the mechanics of Bleeder talking to Wax via the spike. Does she need a specific Allomantic/Feruchemic power to do that, or can anyone using Hemalurgy do that?

MeLaan is back! And TenSoon is alive! I love it, and them. I am ashamed to say I did not make the Milan/MeLaan connection. Hilarious that she has already flirted with Wax and Wayne. Maybe Marasi is next on that list. Or Steris. She needs a friend given how Wayne treats her. MeLaan's solution for stopping Bleeder is to remove the spike, changing her back into a Mistwraith is an interesting one, but I wonder why she doesn't have them try to put another spike into Bleeder? If they were successful (and it's probably easier to add one, right?) then Sazed could just take control of her similar to how Ruin did in the end? Hell, Sazed even mentions not being able to control/see Bleeder because she's missing a spike.

I think the passphrases will come back and bite Wax in the rear end. This is exactly the kind of thing that a kandra would be trained to torture out of someone they're taking over, and Bleeder has nothing holding her back from doing whatever it takes. I'm also curious who was right about the server being Bleeder. Wax was convinced he was, while Wayne thought the opposite. I could see a world where Bleeder is already the governor, and just taking Wax for a ride for a while. His public speech seemed designed to upset the people even more than they were already.

The broadsheet clippings are fun, the TenSoon stuffed animal was adorable, Soonie pups. The headline for "visitors from another world", though I haven't seen the bottom left quarter to see if there's text. Then a baker claims to use atium flakes, I'm curious if that's a scam or if it's real and there is a new source of atium that has been discovered? The atium nugget in the metals exhibit didn't actually exist.

Progress so far:

I'll save my comments for the end but I'm glad you like things so far. You're at the dullest part of the dullest book in this era of mistborn so it'll only get better IMO

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

It's also extremely cringe if you've ever done any kind of research, bench or otherwise. There's been other moments when I've been taken out of his stories, but none as bad as this. He tried to get too detailed in his accounting of her discovery process and it got worse the more in depth he went.

yes 1000%. it would have been more interesting if he had kept Navani as the "ideas guy" but made her a genuine visionary who understands the technical details, yet relies on people like Rushu to do research. That way all of the science could occur offscreen while we just got out of context bits from Rushu until something crazy happens

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I don't remember does Roshar have a moon?

Roshar has 3 moons. One is violet, one is blue and one is green. Or they just glow with that color, it’s unclear. Yes this has significance but Brandon got ahead of himself and didn’t think things through so the explanation makes no sense

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I've never actually read that before. Extremely interesting that they meet a Skybreaker, of all the orders. And extremely worrisome that he talks of being allowed to fight alongside them to "gain status and elevation" -- that's Fused poo poo right there, it certainly sounds like Odium's left a permanent mark on their society.

More importantly, that Skybreaker is tall and speaks to rhythms like a Parshendi

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

pik_d posted:

I got Truthwatcher at 77% as my Order. I laughed at a few things because most people who read the Cosmere will pick a library over a dojo, for example.

Steve Argyle's art is cool, are all of those supposed to be specific individuals?

This is what I've got for that final battle, obviously not including the Fused.

Windrunners - Kaladin, later Teft and Bridge Four
Skybreakers - Szeth, Naln
Releasers - Absent from Thaylen City, Malata was in Kharbranth/Urithiru helping the singers take over the Urithiru gates
Edgedancers - Lift
Truthwatchers - Renearin
Lightweavers - Shallan, Ash
Elsecallers - Jasnah
Willshapers - ?? Potentially Venli ??
Stonewards - Taln, not that he really did anything
Bondsmiths - Dalinar

Dalinar's count as they're all coming together is the following:
1) Dalinar
2) Kaladin
3) Shallan
4) Jasnah
5) Renarin
6) Szeth
7) Lift
8) Taln
9) Ash

He does mention Adolin, but Dalinar doesn't include him in the nine (unless he is, and isn't counting himself? Champion with nine shadows and all that), and the Stormfather doesn't correct him and even says "Perhaps they haven't been found yet" even though they're aware of Malata. And technically Dalinar's count is messed up because Ash is the Herald of Shallan's Order. And neither Taln nor Ash are actually Radiants like Naln is.

My theory is that Ash is or will become a dustbringer, and Taln a stoneward. Apologies if this wasn't explicitly stated in Oathbringer (i forget if its in OB or not), but the Heralds were not members of their associated radiant orders. The orders were shaped around the way that the surges had been divided for the heralds and their honorblades. Nale eventually bonded a spren and joined his order, but we don't know for sure about any of the others. Ash has presumably spent a lot of time destroying and defacing images and icons of herself, which fits with the dustbringer's vibe. I mean, she also disguises herself but not very well, and also its not the focus of her insanity.

I would discount Adolin, because I suspect his sword was of an order than is already represented. Go back and re-read the description of Maya in shadesmar and her variety of spren becomes clear.

Of course it could have just been an error on Dalinar's part! He had a lot going on just then.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Also somehow the winds in a highstorm only blow in one direction, like a sideways tornado. So you're afforded some shelter if you can get behind cover facing the wind. This is why buildings are largely reinforced on one side, IIRC

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

"Lirien is an obnoxious, borderline-abusive prick" and "gently caress Moash" are both pretty broadly held opinions.

Both characters and their perspectives are not something I'm sure Brandon is a skilled enough writer (in this regard) to make sympathetic or at least interesting. At no point does either have to be proven to be a little right or anything, I just wish they weren't completely boring wooden cutouts.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I want to talk about two general Cosmere concepts - Investiture and Cognitive Shadows.

Thanks to an RL friend of mine, I know that -----Vasher----- is going to make an appearance in the Stormlight Archives (this spoiler didn't bother me, honestly got me excited), but it got me thinking about the nature of some mechanics in the Cosmere.

(Full Cosmere mechanical spoilers, but mostly just focusing on the Warbreaker and Mistborn worlds).
This is mainly going to be me asking a lot of questions.

The Returned are considered Cognitive Shadows, am I correct?
Is Kelsier considered a Returned? Or are Returned a special breed of Cognitive Shadow?
Is Breath Investiture "tuned" to Nalthians or can anyone use it?
Would a Scadrian just "burn" Breath?
What would happen to a Nalthian who chugged a bottle of unkeyed investiture?
Nightblood - Could a Scadrian use Nightblood? How would he operate on someone without Breath?

full cosmere spoiler reponse to part of this:

Cognitive Shadows are annoying as hell and make the world less interesting. Anyone who dies for a second becomes a magical ghost (unlelss they dont really die because they were busy talking to god) and their original mind goes to the beyond. Brandon is inconsistent about whether this is an in universe theory or his authorial theory. Please just let there be more magical things in the world that don't fit into insanely small categories.

It's unclear about Breath being tuned to Nalthians, unless there are quotes from brandon (i didnt search). Others have used Breath in the series, but they might have done something to fake a connection to Nalthis or a Nalthian Identity. However, Breath wouldn't be burned, it's already a non-condensed form of static investiture. Scadrians can burn non-invested metals and in so doing are provided with investiture from the Spiritual Real, burn invested metal (metalminds) and get multiplied investiture, or burn investiture that has been condensed into a god metal and get Something Dramatic (ie, burning Lerasium or the sadly-retconned Atium)

writing that out makes me consider that it might be possible to store breath in a metalmind and burn it, if its unkeyed. effects unclear.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

So I finished Defiant, overall it was just meh Like I'm glad the book wasn't "Spin met a group of pilots and they learned to fly together and be a family" for the FOURTH time, but the vibration/I am a weapon thing felt like it was the entire book and got very repetitive. Also I don't like how much happened in supplemental material and how it constantly reminded you of how much you missed out by not reading it, typically he is better about that. The ending was good overall, beating your enemies via love and empathy is a perfectly valid resolution for a YA book.

He couldn't help himself from adding numerology. There's a throw away detail about how they've only figured out what 8 types of slugs do, but there's another 8 that somehow aren't understood by anyone, not even Cuna or the other Superiority people. But my guy just likes having 16 of a thing.

Also the giant space worms are 100% either a type of slug, or the form they take for mating. Somehow we're gonna find out that no one bothered to ask if they're cytonic in the legacy series

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

The Sixth sequel is tantalizing as gently caress. Why did Roshar send a Skybreaker, of all the orders? Is a human or singer behind the armor? (Probably human, seven feet is too short for a singer.) What's with that talk of fighting in return for elevation and status, which is very Odium-flavored?

Why does it need to be one or the other? Herdazians and Horneaters are apparently human-parshmen hybrids (unless Brandon has decided to pull back on that). Maybe they could be half singer/half human?

But based on what others had said I guessed singer, because they appeared to be speaking to rhythms

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Way of Kings - Part 13

I want this entire chapter in anime form, live-action, or animated like Arcane, but I need this whole fight on film immediately. That was epic!

Someone did part of this chapter in anime form as an “anime show intro”. It’s actually awful as an anime intro because it’s just all of the best scenes from the book shoved together lol, but cool that someone made it. Don’t try to find it yet because it’s just 100% spoilers

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Narsham posted:

Warbreaker spoilers:

I just finished rereading Bujold's Sharing Knife series before starting this book, and so was primed for the "giving away Breath on your deathbed" scene. But it seems strange that the book's established repeatedly that people can sell their Breath, and that sometimes people may be tortured or coerced to give over their Breath, but that the idea families would bequeath Breath doesn't seem to have been formulated. I'd expect the oldest established families to have lots of Breath coming from their generations before, set against the "new money" people who purchased their Breath instead of inheriting it.

One issue with this sort of usage of breath (at least at the time of the story) is most people don't know how to do anything to give away all of their Breath at once, which makes the economics of it weird. Obviously this isn't a true limitation, and you've already seen that in the story, but presumably very few people experiment with awakening because they don't have the breath to do so. Now it's possible there are other commands that might make this easier (honestly I forget if Brandon has said anything about that), but the common knowledge at this point in the timeline is only how to give away your Breath. So even if you have a hoard of Breath, you'd also have to be an Awakener to have some knowledge of how to safely subdivide it. Money is only useful if you can spend it!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but that wasn't "true" agelessness. He aged and could've died of old age at any time. He was exploiting Compounding both ways by storing more youth than he was contributing, and then drawing more youth than he'd stored. An Elantrian or Returned doesn't need cheap tricks like that, they have no aging to mitigate.

Also Brandon previously said that despite the exponential nature of compounding (which confusing he previously used to describe tapping metalminds at a greater rate?), age was still catching up to the lord ruler:

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)
Feruchemy is about multipliers. The more the Lord Ruler aged, the less "multiplier" he could store in his metalmind. And the more he aged the more he would need to Compound to stay alive. There could exist an upper bound to the amount of time the Lord Ruler could survive off this trick.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/246/#e5504

This is obviously not verbatim, so it could be losing on detail, but I had previously gotten the impression that Brandon didn't want true immortality to be very accessible (I forget what investitures might have run into issues with life extension). Alternatively, since Brandon recently retconned Atium via the Word of Brandon (atium in Mistborn era 1 was actually an atium/gold alloy), then maybe it could be an "out" to explain why the lord ruler's atium trick wasn't unlimited (and that maybe another character could live forever with pure atium).We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Cognitive Shadows - What I Know -

When your body dies, your consciousness can still exist as a Cognitive Shadow and not move on to the Beyond. This is often based off how Invested you were. If you were super invested (such as having held a Shard), you can stay around forever and not pass on. You become a Cognitive Shadow. Cognitive Shadows are, to overly simplify it, the Cosmere version of ghosts.

Just wanted to expand on this--Brandon was previously cagey about whether Cognitive Shadows are truly the original individual, or a copy---in the same way Christians who also believe in ghosts are cagey about whether ghosts are the souls of the dead or are instead independent entities. Secret History implies a continuation of consciousness, but Warbreaker does not. There is a partial RAFO for Rhythm of War in that one character will give his theory, but in an authoritative enough way that I suspect it is also Brandon's canonical belief (since it matches either statements he has made, or other comments in the books, or both). I wish he would leave it deliberately and permanently unknowable, though.

quote:

World Hoppers - My Questions -
1 - The first comes with regard to aging. For someone like Vasher, he's (I guess) a Cognitive Shadow, so he's operating under different rules. But when you have Galladon hanging out with Demoux and others all from different time periods - How are they not aging?

Future RAFO. Some of the characters from different eras may not have experienced the same rate of passage of time as everyone else. Brandon has implied as much, but I don't think he's stated if it was using Allomancy, the power of concentrated investiture to affect time* (maybe you can orbit a perpendicularity in space like its a black hole), or just using special relativity.

*you have seen this in the stormlight archives

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 29, 2024