Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Skellen posted:

I don't think Szeth will have such an easy time of it. True, he has more experience, but Kaladin is coming into his own fairly quickly and his use of the power is much more instinctual.

My own pet theory is: that his spren/sidekick is somehow connected to shard plate. Possibly becoming or powering normal shard plate to the glowy stuff. Since her full sentience seems to be directly connected to being near/with a Radiant Knight I expect she's some form of symbiont.

Either way it's going to be a painful wait for the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

cheese posted:

A friend of mine who likes a lot of the same books just finished and said he had mixed feelings. The action and word building was good, but he said it read sort of like a humorless Malazan Book of the Fallen. I love me an epic fantasy series but is it really that devoid of light hearted scenes? One of the best things about Malazan is that while some of the humor was a little on the corny 'he talks funny' side, it was amusing and timely enough to break up otherwise heavy storylines. Is that not the case here and if so, how do you see that impacting the series? Even Joel Ambercrombies First Law series, some of the darkest fantasy I've read, had the odd humorous exchange written in. I don't think I can do 8k pages devoid of comic relief.

There's quite a bit of dry whit and snarky one liners. It's not a funny-ha-ha series since the setting is very bleak.

It's not quite grimdark Warhamer40k, but if you sit back and look at how the world and culture are going, it's not a happy place.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Dramatika posted:

I was bored this weekend and started a Mistborn re-read.

I'm about halfway through Well of Ascension, and I'm a little suprised I never thought more about the bronze earring tidbit being brought up at least once every 50 pages for the entire series more during my initial readthru. It holds up pretty well though, I'm excited to see the ways in which he expands the universe in the other books he's writing.

I just finished my second read of the trilogy, kicking myself for missing so many subtle things.

Re-reading this series is like watching Sixth Sense for the 2nd time.

If only one tenth of the authors out there had Sanderson's level of planning and detail...

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

arioch posted:

edit: also, there's gotta be a reason that the two people we've seen so far with the Stormlight-drawing powers don't have shardplate yet. Maybe Shallan will also get a set at some point, who knows?

Sazed's intro mentioned (from his perspective) that Shardplate would interfere with his Surgebinding.

Probably because the second he drew stormlight into himself, he'd de-power the plate.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

You mean Szeth.

Frankly I like that they don't need no shardplate. I can't wait untill Kaladin inherits the last remaining Herald's sword (3+ books down the line probably) and takes up his burden.

Yes, this comes from re-reading Mistborn and then TWoK for second times back to back.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Jorenko posted:

And yet, in one of Dalinar's visions he clearly sees a Radiant wearing plate do something very much like surge-flying.

I believe it may simply be an issue of control. I think there may be a link between honorspren/'sentient' spren and the extra powers they used in the old order.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Hemalurgy works like this:

For Mistings, spikes only absorbed the one power the victim Misting had, but if a Mistborn died to make a spike, it would grant all the powers of a Mistborn to the one who got spiked.

The end of Chapter 71 in Hero of the Ages contradicts this: It is stated you'd only get one of the powers (based on the type of metal used) and the rest were wasted. Ruin preferred to subvert Mistborn (Zane) instead.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 22, 2010

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Rootbeer Baron posted:

I agree with everything in this post. I liked Way of Kings a fair bit but if it had been 100k words shorter I wouldn't have noticed. There was a great deal of world building that I'm sure will seem fascinating when the series is over but as a novel that stands on its own two feet, much of the information that wasn't central to the plot seemed extraneous and was a chore to get through.

...too many flashbacks dealing with Kaladin's past. He could have cut all but two or three of those and it would have helped the flow of the story.

That was my only real issue with TWoK, the next book can't come soon enough.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I agree with you there. After like the 10th flashback I really didn't care anymore and actually skipped a few of them. When his brother's death was finally shown on screen it was totally anticlimactic and didn't have any impact.

Six books down the road, we will discover that every single little side detail in those flashbacks had hidden long term meaning. It will be awesome.

After reading the Final Empire trilogy (a few times), I expect nothing less of Stormlight.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

Because it was telegraphed that the brother would die, they were emotionally charged for me. The reason people feel put off is because its a break in the action of the main narrative for something in which the only gain is character growth. This most likely means that the main narrative is doing a darn good job at keeping you engaged, and you hate to take a break from that, not that the flashbacks needed to be trimmed.

There's taking a break from narrative, and there is breaking the pacing of the story.

I don't mind regularly shifting POVs, but I felt there was just too much jumping back to cover his past, especially since we knew what the end result was.

If instead he just started the timeline from the beginning for Kal's POV and ran it forward with no flash backs, I'd have probably enjoyed it more.

It wasn't the content so much as the order, at least for my tastes.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

It ends on a cliffhanger. Has he stated anywhere that he's planning on writing more in that universe? Gotta know more about Nightblood! It does some crazy poo poo in those last scenes that's never really explained.

His 'ANTICIPATED SEQUELS' list includes a book in fact called 'Nightblood'.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/62/Another-Long-and-Rambling-Postandtrade-on-Future-Books

Don't expect it soon.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

arioch posted:

That and the fact that she is in possession of her own shardblade and killed her father either with it or probably for it. That's probably a "holy poo poo" level of revelation that should change the prism her character is viewed through for the entire book.

The way I looked at that situation, she got it as a side effect of killing her father for another reason. He sounded like he was getting odd/unstable. He was supposed to be violent to his children, only herself being spared his wrath...perhaps for uncomfortable reasons . I'm sure her backstory will make sense of things, the wait is a pain.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know, looking at the long game I'm honestly not certain Sanderson will live long enough to finish Stormlight Archive

With Iain Banks passing recently I'm worried about my other favorite authors. :(

Sanderson's the only author I know of that I'm afraid he's writing too drat much, if he burns out it's going to be a complete meltdown.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

The gemstones themselves are probably just a workaround to approximate the earlier function of radiant armor.

Szeth even mentions not using shardplate because the armor gems gently caress with his lashings, which wouldn't make any sense based on how the stuff functioned previously in flashbacks.

I think that is because Szeth is powered from his sword, being not a radiant. The armor may interfere with it.
That or weight. He uses an extremely acrobatic fighting style.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Vins mist powerup at the end of book 1 is still a bit of a deus ex machina.

It does sorta come out of nowhere until you find out why it happens and why it didn't happen earlier.

I mean, everyone at some point reading that book probably thought the earring is significant.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Surface Detail by Iain M Banks is a good sci-fi version of “hell is a hosed up idea” if you’re looking for one of those.

Everything Iain Banks wrote was good, but this was especially good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Obviously Kelsier should be played by Sean Bean.