Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've gotta say this about the book: The audiobook version is awful. This isn't a thing that translates very well, especially early on when everything is very spelled out for the audience. The description of Lashing made me nuts.

But I started reading the actual book and it's loving awesome so there's that. Gonna read Mistborn once I'm done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ConfusedUs posted:

Superhero...apocalypse?

Never have two words sounded better together.

I'm going to pretend he means superheroes cause the apocalypse, because I started reading Irredeemable, and that makes it way cooler

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

combat_potato posted:

I saw that too and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I can only hope that the tentative release date of late 2012 hasn't been pushed back further. I seriously lack patience (besides this is a 10 book series, at that pace it'd take 18 years to finish).

It will be, probably. He's pushing back WoT a couple months to reread the whole series, so figure on early 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dramatika posted:

Hoid was an informant that Kelsier talked to for info in Mistborn book 1. I think that was his only appearance in the series, it was just one chapter.

And he basically told Kell all this poo poo that he already knew

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mistbornchat: I just got my copies of Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages from Amazon, gonna dig in tonight. loving stoked right now.

Where is this commentary? I'd love to read the commentary for Mistborn.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BobFromMarketing posted:

Just finished the first of the Stormlight Archives and man, I am glad I found this author via WoT. I will definitely being reading the rest of his works and going through the Way of Kings again via audiobook to see if I can pick up on things I was too confused about at the beginning to fully understand.

Really powerful ending.

The audiobook of WoK is crippling, especially the beginning, when you have a dude explaining lashing to you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BobFromMarketing posted:

I listen to a lot of audio books while at work and I really dont think it can be any worse than listening to whatever chucklefuck read Kingbreaker Kingmaker.

It hurts really badly.

Sanderson mentions not wanting to put a fight right in the beginning of Mistborn because he'd have to explain Allomancy and it would drag the story down, and he's right. The audiobook version of WoK is utterly painful for exactly that reason. After that I'd imagine it gets better but my god have fun getting through the prologue.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

IRQ posted:

I'm almost 20% through and it still feels like prologue and world building.

I know it's supposed to be a huge series but ugh. I can deal with that sort of thing, but I expected more fast paced stuff from Sanderson. Characters I had just begun to care about have utterly disappeared to be replaced by ones I just don't like or care about at all.

I know I'm not very far in yet but this is proving to be a slog that none of his other books have been.

Are you reading or listening? Reading was pretty great, listening killed me before I got through the prologue.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

IRQ posted:

Reading, I can't do long fiction as audiobooks.

What really kills me is that he was building up those two characters and then boom they're gone here's some boring princes in HALO suits hunting that big bug from Starship Troopers. I'm sure it gets better, I just wasn't expecting this.

It's actually kinda cool because, wiht the exception of Shallan, who I still don't get the reasoning behind the transitions to her storyline, you meet all of the other characters as the story gets to where they are.

You meet Kal. Get a little story with him. He gets to the war camp, and THEN you meet Dalinar and Sadeas and Dalinar's son.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skavoovee posted:

Ohhh yeah, that'd be a bummer :(

I'm hoping that Vin, Kelsier, Elend and Sazed make an appearance in later Mistborn books. Unless I remember incorrectly I believe Sazed saying he was going to let Vin and Elend rest for a while? Implication (hopefully) being that they'd be back to kick rear end and take names later on

The other Mistborn trilogies will be taking place way further along in the history of the world, so probably not.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paradigmblue posted:

I have to agree with the others though that the flashback chapters hurt the flow of the story. I'm hoping that we see less of those as the series progresses.

See, I really liked the flashbacks. A nice pause in the action to take a breather, and it helps flesh out the main character? What's not to like!

Seriously, Kal's flashbacks were awesome, the chapters that hurt the flow the most were Shallan's, because they felt so disconnected from the rest of the action.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I think you're forgetting the scene where Kaladin realizes the First Ideal of the Knights Radiant. I was all kinds of flipping out.

I forget what that is now, reminder?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kalas posted:

...too many flashbacks dealing with Kaladin's past. He could have cut all but two or three of those and it would have helped the flow of the story.

That was my only real issue with TWoK, the next book can't come soon enough.

I'm starting to think I was the only person who actually liked all the flashbacks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Above Our Own posted:

Sanderson is equally bad with the bland, one dimensional Dragonball Z characters

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Above Our Own posted:

quote:

Yeah cause envisioning a world where horrible magic charged hurricane force storms ravage across the entirety of the world, and extrapolating the evolutionary path of the world isn't awesome as hell.
Agreed.
You're trolling, here, right?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BananaNutkins posted:

I wish he wouldn't push Brent Weeks. His first trilogy is the only series I've ever finished and then looked back upon the time I spent reading them with regret. Not because I spent a lot of time or anything. Because the author's worldview becomes clearer (its pretty shallow and childish), and his writing skills actually seem to regress.

Quotin' dis.

That was the worst twenty bucks I ever spent.