Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
They just sent out a Kickstarter email. Dawnshard will be sent out next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Has Sanderson announced what the books he will publish will be? Are we getting a mistborn and maybe Warbreaker 2 before book 5?

Also at the RoW release party, Sanderson read a chapter out of the Sixth of Dusk sequel which has some significant, yet vague reveals on the future of the cosmere. Here's a transcript. While nothing is explicitly spoiled outside of the first Sixth of Dusk novella, read at your own risk: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/93066-rhythm-of-war-online-release-party-111720/?page=5#comment-1117814

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don’t know if r

I don’t know if I read this here or elsewhere, but (future book spoilers) the RoW release party included a reading from the Sixth of the Dusk sequel and featured space faring Scadrians and a Rosharan with a shard gun.

I posted this on the previous page buta transcript of that can be found here : https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/93066-rhythm-of-war-online-release-party-111720/?page=5#comment-1117814

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

eke out posted:

Finished book two of Elantris last night, which I loved, and am moving on to the Stormlight Archive.

Emperor's Soul or is there an Elantris book I'm not aware of?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Thanks for posting both videos. The teaser trailer got me pumped but I wanted to see what the gameplay was like. Glad they mention Insomniac's Spider-Man as inspiration because that really made me feel like I was Spider-Man while keeping controls fairly simple. Early days but I'm excited

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Sanderson admitted that he got Mat's voice wrong in The Gathering Storm but I think he did a good job correcting it after that. I honestly think he gave new life to the series as it felt like RJ was spinning his wheels the last few books. I was very satisfied with the ending. I did a reread this year for the first time since the last book came out and I noticed Sanderson's touch even less than the first time through. Not perfect but you can't ask for a much better ending when the author has died.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

aparmenideanmonad posted:

More Knife of Dreams erasure. "The Slog" ends with book 10; RJ wrote book 11 and it was great.

Book 11 was definitely better than 10 but it still feels like a slog where a lot of the plot lines don't feel like they move ahead. I'm sure part of it for me was that I caught up to the series right when book 9 came out so waiting so long for books 10 and 11 to come out felt unsatisfying. They are easier to digest on rereads with the entire series finished.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

I grew up Mormon and went from that to rejecting any form of theism in a very short time. I did the whole missionary thing and went to BYU. Coming out of the closet was coupled with rejecting the religion vehemently.

Now that I've had more time since then, I really appreciate the way Sanderson treats religion in his work. It feels like he's trying his best to separate himself from the religion, at least as much as you in that situation.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

In the notes under S4, Brandon says this is one of three stories that will be narrated from Wit's apprentices and we are THE MOST familiar with Sigzil. My question: Have we ever met the other two?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

eke out posted:

this isn't remotely confirmed though, the only connection we have at all is that Shallan's mother died in the same year as this occurring

Aside from that and the obvious connection of the red hair as well as it totally being something I could see Sanderson doing? My vote is that the theory is correct. Otherwise is a long way to misdirect. I can see it fitting in with her character arc as well.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

I totally see that happening and I'm down with it. If you don't like that character I doubt there is anything that could happen to make them redeemable in your eyes. I'd be interested to see where Brandon takes that storyline

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I grew up in an only slightly religious household, but my wife grew up in a very religious, southern baptist home. While neither of us are religious, my wife has especially enjoyed how Brandon explores fantasy religion from almost a very philosophical point of view. Something that, growing up for her, is usually insanely impossible since authors who usually talk about the importance of religion in their life tend to only write pro-“their religion” books that would never be critical of religion at points.

As someone who is gay and ex-Mormon, I feel like I am hyper-aware of his Mormonism while reading. This may speak more to Mormon culture or my own immersive upbringing but I find that he does a very good job at separating his religion from his work much more than the average practicing Mormon. Do I see it influence his work? Most definitely. But as mentioned in the quote above he is a much more analytical of religion in general in a way that is very refreshing. I do like how his later work has had more inclusivity with characters. His earlier work where he avoided sex in general is cringy to me but I appreciate how he dances around to more elegantly in later work.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I imagine Nightblood sounds like Ralph Wiggum.

I won't be able to unhear this now

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Wax & Wayne 4: The Lost Metal covers released last week.

US: https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1529901381645000704

Spain: https://twitter.com/NovaCiFi/status/1530179742468648961

Edit: I'm assuming the Spain cover features Marasi I really like it over the US cover
'

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

He has said that the hardest things to write about were depression and being a battle field medic because both required him to do a significant amount of research on each before he felt right writing about them

Edit: I was slightly wrong. The question was what character required the most research https://wob.coppermind.net/events/39/#e455

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 24, 2022

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

He doesn’t seem like the type that is boastful so the fact that he said it so casually really makes me want to hear the budget numbers they’ve been throwing around

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I don't know that this is really spoilers but I'll mark it as such since Brandon himself did in his Stormlight Update over on Reddit:

I cannot overstate how excited I am for this book, man.

If he needs 9 more months to stick the landing of this first half I’m all for it. At least he keeps us on the loop unlike Rothfuss

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Spoilers from today’s chapter previews: Casual Hoid reference almost off the bat. “Men of Gold and Red” probably refers to followers of Odium and Trell? Maybe they create an alliance? I really hope it’s not Odium corrupting Trell’s avatar and orchestrating all of this. Let Trell be Scadrial’s big bad

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Maybe Cultivation used Nightwatcher as a proxy for Taravangian and Lift? Or has it been explicitly stated that cultivation met with them?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Are we sure Brandon didn’t say/mean Kelsier is sociopath? A common mix up and much more understandable, because he does manipulate people to do things with more focus on the outcome than their well-being. And it would explain his obsession for sticking around rather than going to the Beyond.

Also, I just learned tonight if you go here to the Words of Brandon section of coppermind you can read transcripts of a Szeth chapter and a Kaladin chapter from Stormlight Book 5 (NY comic-con link and FanC link, respectively) https://wob.coppermind.net/

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Came across a few scattered spoilers about the Storm 5 prologue and Gavilar. Apparently it's only a "working" prologue but seems unlikely it will change substantially before the book comes out. Lotta negative reactions to the great man WOK talks about constantly. (almost done with my reread)

I think it's fair to say Sanderson and most writers extol humility as a primary trait of their heroes. I've been seeing this since I was a kid reading Harry Potter.

“It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well.”

Time and again in Sanderson's novels the real, greatest hero is a figure like Kaladin or Vin. We were just talking about how down Brandon is on Kelsier, calling him a psychopath, and I think this is a big part of it. Figures like Kelsier, even with good intentions, act in a distinctly un-humble way. Their leadership and heroic style thrives on the kind of attention Vin and Kaladin loathe. They know they're capable, they know they're better than others, and they don't shy away from using this to achieve their ends. You need people of vision, people who think "I am just that drat good" as Mistborn itself proves.

I've been enjoying a lot of stories lately - anime, books, TV shows, video games - which talk about the nature of heroism. I think a hero needs a certain level of humility but too much is a bad thing. They shouldn't be afraid of acknowledging their superiority and the burdens this superiority places upon them. Kaladin and Vin are examples of the absolutely self-sacrificing hero who doesn't want the adoration of others, who actively hates it, and this is a mark of their worth. But what's wrong with just admitting the facts? Kal and Vin have every right to be proud of their accomplishments and expect others to respect said accomplishments.

I don't think I have much patience for the self-effacing hero anymore. I love Vin as a character - my absolute favorite Sanderson hero alongside Dalinar - but I don't think her excessive humbleness is a virtue like Sanderson seems to.

I’m surprised to hear there is a lot of negative reaction to the Gavilar we see in Stormlight 5 prologue vs the way everyone remembers him post-death. I think it’s a refreshing take and shows that the memory or legacy of a person isn’t always rooted in reality. I especially like how his quote to Dalinar is interpreted completely differently by Dalinar than by what Gavilar meant

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

You're not wrong that it is a hard line to tread and that's part of why I like discussing it. Where is the line between a hero having proper levels of confidence vs. being too self-effacing or too prideful? I don't really know, it might depend on the situation. Would anyone but Kelsier have thought up his plans? So, in the end, how could we say he was too prideful? Maybe he had just the right amount of ego.

I think it’s easy to be frustrated or tired of the typical “reluctant hero” trope and the line between that and humble hero could blur. But now that I think about that I can’t think of too many reluctant hero tropes in most of Brandon’s books

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Question about surgebinding: Does ANYONE who says the ideals and mean them become a surgebinder, assuming their soul is "cracked" for investiture? Because it seems that the gate way more open to surgebinders through oaths than mistings and genetics

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

eke out posted:

i think number of higher order sapient spren might be the "hard" limit.

from how they've talked, new ones are made periodically but it's pretty uncommon, especially relative to human lifespans. no idea if there's numbers anywhere but, from how Shadesmar has gone, I assume there are several orders of magnitude fewer sapient spren than there are humans

Oh yeah I forgot about the spren requirement. Definitely limits things especially considering the political and/or social climate in shade at any given time

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Clearly the solution is to manufacture ghosts, which you then bind as artificial spren to gain incredible magic powers. Ambitious? Yes, but nothinf could possibly go wrong with it.

Maybe sentient spren can be shattered into more slightly smaller sentient spren!

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Torrannor posted:

In a bit more than two weeks, we will have The Lost Metal. Meaning tomorrow will be our second-to-last preview chapter, I'm very excited.

It's crazy to think that there won't be any more Wax and Wayne stories after this. I started reading Sanderson after Hero of Ages was out but before Way of Kings, so I've almost always had a Mistborn Era 2 book to look forward to. Its kind of bittersweet. I hope it's a good ending for these characters. I'm really excited for the potential of Era 3

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Wayne trying to come up with the "dumbest ideas possible" and just creating our society is lmao

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Wax coughing seems like a bad sign. I'm sure it's too early for radiation sickness to kick in but it can't be healthy for any of them to be in that room right now, yeah?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

My thought when reading that (beyond "uh oh") was what if he metabolizes what is basically a metal vapor that way? Paving the way for an inhaler-like delivery system as opposed to flakes-in-fish-oil?

That's an interesting insight and much more positive than mine. But what is the advantage? The liquid method is already instantaneous, right? But maybe you can get more bang for your buck? Wasn't that why Scarecrow vaporized the drug in Batman Begins? It would put them alongside Surgebinders breathing in Investiture.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

There, right where I bolded, that's what I can't get past. Kelsier is absolutely the actual person who died, whose entire problem was that he was not given a corpse to inhabit and had to go manufacture one for himself. He's not the same thing as a Returned, and the evidence suggests that Heralds aren't either, because if you're a spren masquerading as a man, you could be trapped in a gemstone.

can’t he be a very close, but not perfect, imitation of the actual soul? The imprint lasted longer than a usual person because being Mistborn, being in well of ascension, holding the power of a shard temporarily, etc.

It’s like that super detailed fossil they found of a stegosaurus that almost looked real rather than something that vaguely looks like a fossil.

Maybe the actual soul of Kelsier went to the Beyond and the cognitive part stayed behind long enough to “fossilize” into a near perfect replication of Kelsier? Or maybe I’m just drunk and need to sleep.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Anyone know if setting a VPN to Australia and/or changing device time can trick Amazon Kindle to download earlier?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

The Lost Metal:I find it hilarious that Hoid was relegated to a chauffeur that was mostly ignored/not used the entire book.

I just imagine him thinking "ok I can swoop in and give Wax a hand after his very public fight with his not-clone" and then just being ghosted by Wax every time aside from the boat save at the end.

Also, I had a hunch that Moonlight was Shai from Emperor's Soul but was kind of hoping she was a new character. The Coppermind confirmed it. Still kind of cool.

Also, I thought TwinSoul was from Ashyn for sure since him always leaning on something seemed like an ailment and he also mentioned his planet was uninhabitable, but Coppermind says he's not.

Next, did I miss the part of the story where Marasi collapses the perpendicularity? I kept waiting for Trells army to come through and then at the end it mentions that she stopped it.

Finally, how does the Ghostblood's main tenet of protecting scadrial jive with their apparent mission in RoW to export Stormlight off Roshar? More fuel to fight Autonomy or has Kelsier become an antagonist at this point?

I'm glad we get the 4 novellas next year to tide us over until fall 2024 for stormlight 5

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Calumanjaro posted:

Are we 100% sure taravodium fooled Wit? If I recall correctly, I got the impression that he may not have been totally fooled when I read it. May be misremembering though.

It's a little ambiguous. Wit notices something is a little off but kind of shrugs it off. However, the whole time he's talking about the art of misdirection. It gave the feeling that Wit was prepared for something like that happening but I guess we'll have to see. Maybe he only kept expendable memories/ breaths on hand rather than a metalmind just in case of such an incident?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Also can I just say it was already pretty weird to imagine a Steel Inquisitor wandering into a modern-ish building. How quickly I came to view Era 2 as more "mundane" than Era 1.

Now I'm trying to imagine some truly modern setting for Era 3 and Marsh walking through a revolving door in his robes and spikes.

Now I can’t read Marsh without thinking of Death from Bill and a Ted’s Bogus Journey

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

He has said Era 3 will be 70-80 years in the future but possibly 50, so anyone born at the end of TLM is going to be pretty old by then.

Personally, I’d rather not have any of the main characters be kids/grandkids of any characters in Era 2. I’m fine with them playing secondary characters who have influential roles in society.

Just as with the new Star Wars movies I’m more interested in the world rather than a dynasty.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Taffer posted:

Read Stormlight already!!! :mad:

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I actually have all of the stormlight novels/novellas on my audible account. I just need to download and take the 250 hour plunge.

Just do what I do and set the playback speed to 1.25x. it gets rid of those pesky breaths between the words

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Did you Read Secret History? All your questions get answered in Secret History.

Some of your questions get answered but it gives a shape to things

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

If he jumps any of the sharks mentioned in the last few posts I will be very disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Has anyone listened to the Dark One podcast? Do I need to know anything or read any of the books before I start or does it stand alone?