Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Warbreaker seems to be increasingly relevant but a whole lot of what matters in Edgedancer is also just in that one side chapter already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Shardplate also has some pretty intensive and heretofore untested magic resistance. Even without surgebinding, Radiants have pretty scary powers between blade and plate, and you have to beat them on that level (lightsabers plus power armor) since your direct magic attacks probably don't work.

Better keep that fancy helmet sealed, a couple good Riots or Soothings could take out half the Knights Radiant

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Stormfather says that Kaladin has killed Syl, that she's broken, and that he will never ride the winds again, in a vision in the chasms during WoR, so sometimes he's just being dramatic

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

this reminds me about how Lightsong rules

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Big on screen prompt to Lash by holding RT and flicking the right stick

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

I on the other hand love twok and would have read another three books solely of Kaladin barely living day to day smuggling herbs and poo poo around and half threatening people. it's very street level.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Lower dahn lighteyes in Twok: Alright "stormblessed", after your double shift at the slave army suicide squad, you're working nights in the suicide chasms. Try holding on to hope now, chull for brains!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

The good guy against slavery is Moash, no further questions

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

mewse posted:

dalinar isn’t allowed to bang his sister in law until mormon jesus says it’s permissible

really love how one of dalinar's main threats in the first book between ancient visions and a possible assassin is Navani trying to corner him in a room

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lightsong calling a criminal investigator a "sheriff" seems weirdly setting inappropriate. Not sure Sanderson picked the right word there.

There's a whole planet besides just hallendren, there are probably sheriffs out there. It's an old term. Brando starts using "lawman" so extensively you'll be wanting sheriffs back

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Arrath posted:

Fair game picking one of his WoT books, I didn't even consider them when thinking of my own selection.

Oathbringer has the best sanderlanche, don't even try to pretend otherwise.

Oathbringer the battle of Thaylen Field and descriptions of later Radiant combat really makes me want a Cosmere Battlefront where you can windrun over Mos Eisley and find enemy Fused to duel

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

We're talking about really cool poo poo behind those spoilers too

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

In-universe scholar is a nifty way to deliver technical knowledge and excuse later changes all in one!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

I've been reading through the Mistborn second era and it's a lot of fun. Pretty breezy books compared to Stormlight! What if Sherlock Holmes had GunZ: The Duel K-Style.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Grundulum posted:

In which Hurricane Hilary does its best Everstorm impression (linked from CSPAM):

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Kaladin did not have the Money in the Bank so despite an admirable performance he was not granted a title shot

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Finished era 2 myself recently and loved it but ironically wanted another thousand pages on random setting details and day to day the way you get in early stormlight...

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Just want some interlude chapters with the star Lurcher on a Noseball team sucking down Vif tonic being blackmailed to throw the game or an absent minded Soother in a parlor who isn't listening to an obvious worldhopper. How about a bendalloy Ferring who's a food critic for the papers

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Im rereading all the slow bits in WoR and I can't be stopped

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

What would you say are the slow bits?

A general question to others, too. Is there anything you skip in re reads?

I don't make those distinctions too much myself but I suppose anything that's more characters researching/slowly discovering things that are later common knowledge, or chapters traveling towards their later positions without something notable happening. That's where the neat character moments and secret foreshadowing is though...

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

pik_d posted:

Harmony is definitely getting a bit of a side eye from me for now. I understand the position he's in but holy poo poo was that brutal. When MeLaan is arguing this at the end it feels like she's well aware that it's not gonna make things all better, because it can't. Sazed is a mortal being with flaws in control of god-like powers and vision. I'm very much looking forward to seeing his own journey alongside Wax's, given that he has to deal with this as well as Trell trying to destabilize things

It's really interesting how (mistborn up thru Shadows of Self) Harmony isn't a perfect god, in fact none of the shards seem to have that kind of immediate omnipotence. Doing the best he can, by definition. Sazed can't wave his arms and undo civil unrest or Bleeder's plots but he can manipulate the world on larger scales to ensure someone like Wax exists in the right place and time. Far less total misery than if he did nothing.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Secret Project 4 cover looks sick. I'll spoiler it since I guess these things are all behind triple secret clearance or smthn

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

WoR has good interpersonal drama though. Remember when Shallan steals Kaladins boots and then they have a blowout argument in the palace foyer. Even bridge 4 saw she was cooking his rear end

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Mistborn Era 2 spoilers Makes me wonder how strict the definition of Ruin is, can Harmony help maintain balance by ruining someone's wedding by making it rain or ruin someone's weekend by making their boss force them to work overtime?

further speculation on how it works: Ruin wants to break things apart, not just stop you from getting it, it might prefer to cause several parts of your weekend to spoil progressively. Flat tire on your trip to six flags. And when you get to six flags? Koloss army burns it down

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Looks like reading order to me. Something looks off about it but I can't put my finger on it.

WoR is labeled as SA3

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Torrannor posted:

We still don't know what compounding copper does, and I'm still mad about it!

It's like holding ctrl+scrollwheel to make all the text bigger on wikipedia. Repeated compounding and Savanthood lets you bold and italicize the text

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Kind of generic cosmere spoilers? From the live stream, was this brought up yet?

That's definitely the 16th shard, Intellect/Intelligence, right? Especially with the way he stopped it mid question.

It fits best, more than being any other missing Proper Nouns. Love the Rafo level 2 on that question. He can't even speak it out loud

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Getting into sports gambling if I can figure out when he might finish Oathbringer

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

They really are too large lmao. The mass market copies are deeper than they are wide

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

All we need is Sanderson to announce an endgame Cosmere multiplayer spaceship game where you can get out of your ship and do allomancy on Roshar's moons then dance a fortnite jig. Promise everything and Star Citizen will finally be dethroned.

I want a really low poly Mistborn game like an early PS1 game, idk it just fits the aesthetic. We can't load any more buildings there's too much mist

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Me when i'm in a sanderson book: :raise:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Rereading some stormlight and it's so funny in early Oathbringet when (all stormlight) Dalinar is trying to Unite Them kingdoms via spanreed and nobody is biting until the end where a perfect message comes in about having a Radiant to open their oathgate and being so glad someone has come forth to join everyone together and it's loving Taravangian and I know the next book and a half is dalinar being so happy to have him around, lmao

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

what the guild NEEDS to do is recruit a drat Stoneward to main tank

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Getting sent to Vorin jail for future prediction (running simulations to see if this new gear is an upgrade)

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Ole brando had to be pissed playing Elden Ring seeing all the talk of Shardbearers (because he'd love to be the one writing a fromsoft game setting).

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Well with Roshar the only ageless I know of are the Heralds. And they’re Cognitive Shadows, so that’s a different conversation. How would a mortal Rosharan reach agelessness?

The ancient words must be spoken again. My oath... "I will not die."

This might be legit though, especially with Honor's influence it seems like swearing the right kind of oath could make you ageless. Heralds got there somehow

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Torrannor posted:

I also really appreciated that Dalinar was very worried that somebody killed Sadeas, while the others around him like Aladar were more like "good riddance!".

early Oathbringer is really funny like that, just the scenes played straight with Dalinar deadpanning 'none of you care he's dead do you' or stuff like Shallan excitedly trying to help Adolin solve the murder that HE committed

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

The bridge crew are a kitchen staff. This is self explanatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Lift point of view chapters can be a bit much sometimes, but she's good in scenes balancing out more serious characters