Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
I was just sent an ARC of The Way of Kings. I hope to have Empire in Black and Gold done by the time I read it.

mcable posted:

And just to expound on Sanderson a bit: I'm super-excited about TWOK. Sanderson has gotten really good at delivering really solid entertaining books. His prose is not on the level of a GRRM or RJ and Sanderson doesn't have nearly the wit or humor of either of those two (No Tyrion's or Mat Cauthon's from BS yet). But Sanderson really knows how to write some kick-rear end action and pull his storylines together to end on an exciting, satisfying conclusion.

In fact I'm probably more excited for TWOK than either The Towers of Midnight or A Dance With Dragons. The Wheel of Time ending is more of a relief and I've come to accept that asoiaf is never going to get done. But TWOK is fresh and new and filled with possibilities. And everything I've read from Sanderson and about him has given me faith that this series is going to get done and it's going to be really good, if not great.

Man, it's a little depressing that Sanderson has written as much as he has and he still gets compared to the established authors. From what I read of his Mistborn books, his style isn't at all like Jordan or Martin. I think people will have more fun with the books going into them with expectations of a good book, rather than expectations of a new Martin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

mcable posted:

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Brandon's writing. But I guess I'm just being a bit defensive since there's a segment of the internet population who seems to dismiss BS as a lightweight and a gimmick "magic system" writer. My point was that BS has his strengths and his weaknesses but in the end it adds up to some very entertaining stories.

Oh yeah, my beef isn't really with you so much as it is with the latent tribalism in fantasy readership that makes such a comparison necessary. If you want to be read, you've got to be the next George R.R. Martin or the next Joe Abercrombie or whatever rather than just being interesting. It's highly aggravating and a little toxic to reading in general.

But, anyway, I'm looking forward to this book. His editor said it's probably his finest stuff.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
This book is causing me a philosophical conundrum. I like it, but I feel as though I shouldn't. In general, I think a vast range of "systems," be it world, magic or political is usually a mask for poor characters. Thus far, Kaladin seems like a good guy who is good and his foes are largely just bad guys who are bad.

I'm not making this as a judgment, yet. As I say, I do like it and I'm not even that far into it. We just jumped to Kaladin in the slave wagon.

Do his motives get fleshed out further?