Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

cheese posted:

A friend of mine who likes a lot of the same books just finished and said he had mixed feelings. The action and word building was good, but he said it read sort of like a humorless Malazan Book of the Fallen. I love me an epic fantasy series but is it really that devoid of light hearted scenes? One of the best things about Malazan is that while some of the humor was a little on the corny 'he talks funny' side, it was amusing and timely enough to break up otherwise heavy storylines. Is that not the case here and if so, how do you see that impacting the series? Even Joel Ambercrombies First Law series, some of the darkest fantasy I've read, had the odd humorous exchange written in. I don't think I can do 8k pages devoid of comic relief.

I'm a little over half way and it's not that depressing. Three of the four distinct storylines have a decent bit of comic relief so far, only the Dalinar chapters usually go by without any, and that's not a rule.

The "safehand" talk really isn't as bad as some people were complaining about. It's not like Robert Jordan's dress-smoothing fetish, it actually serves a purpose. It's brought up in the first part to ensure that the reader understands what the hell a safe hand, and a safe pouch, is.

My suggestion: Read the mistborn trilogy, and if the third one is too bleak for you to enjoy you probably won't like The Way Of Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
This is a Brandon Sanderson thread, I'd hope we all are.

BananaNutkins posted:

My theory is that they are basically a heroic, lightside version of the Wheel of Time's Forsaken, mixed with the heroes who are bound to the Horn of Valere. There are lots of things in The Way of Kings that are very reminiscent of some WoT concepts, like the chapter in the place where grass grows and magic doesn't work. It reminded me a lot of WoT's Steddings. Also, every time someone says "The Light send it will be so" or a similar phrase it drives me crazy, because that was a really obvious WoT thing.

That was actually completely different then Steddings. In a Stedding there's magic making magic not work, whereas in Shinovar there are no highstorms, so the magic can't get there. It's not not that they can't use magic, but there aren't any spren, and you couldn't recharge gems there.

Given the talk about the everstorm, I assume that that'll all change, though :downs:

egg tats fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 25, 2010

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Kalas posted:

Sazed's intro mentioned (from his perspective) that Shardplate would interfere with his Surgebinding.

Probably because the second he drew stormlight into himself, he'd de-power the plate.

I'm pretty sure the reason he gave is that it would just slow him down.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Eh! Frank posted:

Looking on wikipedia, seems like the last two metals have already been revealed, not in the books but on a Table of Allomantic Metals poster that Sanderson is/was selling on his site.

Spoilered in case you don't want it ruined for you (though the powers are pretty easy to figure out if you think about it):

Chromium - An Allomancer while burning Chromium is able to destroy another Allomancer's metals, just like Aluminum does to one's self.

Nicrosil - An Allomancer while burning Nicrosil can cause a target Allomancer currently burning metals to burn them in a brief, intense flash. Similar to Duralumin, differing only because Duralumin is an internal metal (targeting the Allomancer burning it), and Nicrosil is an external metal (targeting another Allomancers).

I'm hoping there's more metals still to be revealed, but even if not, I'm excited to see what he does with allomancy in modern and futuristic settings.

I can understand why the Lord Ruler kept those super secret he was almost constantly burning a poo poo-ton of metal, and a burst of Nicrosil would have probably blinded and deafened him for hours. Combined with the fact that ideally no one would need to fight an allomancer if he died (since allomancy was of preservation) they'd be useless in a Lord Rulerless world.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

arioch posted:

You'd have to define good because even at their worst (the slump) they were well above-average. Not every book can be in the same category as The Shadow Rising.

Counterpoint:Crossroads of Twilight

"Brandon Sanderson's twitter posted:

Teaching my class on writing Science Fiction and Fantasy at BYU tonight. Last year, forty people showed up on day one wanting to add....

He's a teacher too. In his time off from writing books he writes books, and on the side he also teaches other people how to write books. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Brandon Sanderson is a goddamn beast.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 6, 2011

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jorenko posted:

Can we mark which book we're spoiling? I'm halfway through my first trek through Sanderson's collected works.

Everything after Velius' post is about Mistborn.

Maybe from now on leave the name of the book/series you're talking about unspoiled?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jorenko posted:

That seems mostly the case for now, yeah. Read his essay on the gays, though. He says that while he intellectually respects their rights, he can't square that very well with the fact that he knows 100%, because of his religion, that it's in their best interest for him to vote against their right to equality. That seems a slippery slope to me.

It really doesn't to me. Sanderson mentions that he doesn't know much about the issue several times, and projects the opinion that gays have existed, do exist, and will continue to exist in perpetuity. He might have learned from the OSC fiasco, but the only thing he seems to be against is gays marrying.

It's obviously not a very nice opinion to many of us, but it's a drat sight better then thinking forced "rehabilitation" is a good idea.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

So, after reading Warbreaker a while ago and finding it decent, I decided to check out Mistborn. Aahhhhhhhhhhh those last three chapters, I must be getting very slack, as I saw none of that happening. (Other than the return of the darkdeepness)

Thank you people in the Dresden Files thread for reminding me about this author. It was worth burning a Sunday to finish this book in one sitting.

Are you talking about the end of The Final Empire or Hero of Ages, because with Sanderson's (well done) foreshadowing, you should have a pretty good idea of where everything is going. fake edit: Well, almost. I missedSazed being the Hero of Ages.

I'm re-reading the whole trilogy right now, and I love the early scenes with Vin and oerseur after it's actually tensoon. If you know what happens you can really tell there's something off about his personality, but the first time you just shrug it off, like Vin did.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

arioch posted:

They would have to figure out how the other nations managed to tap into AonDor without the benefit of Elantris.

Not that I think this group are the characters from Elantris.

Even if they figured out how to tap AonDor from other countries, it straight up wouldn't work outside of their world. Even if they found a way to travel from world to world (and I'm sure they're be able to, given how malleable Aons are) it would be a one way trip, and it would probably kill them to be cut off from AonDor.

I just finished re-reading Elantris, and I don't see any reason why the elantrians would be going after Hoid anyway. He was acting as a beggar in that book too, unless I missed something.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Decius posted:

I finished the Mistborn trilogy over the Easter weekend and liked it a lot. It was the first thing I've read by him (always dismissed him as "the WoT-guy" - never got into WoT -, until John Scalzi praised him quite a bit). Great plot and twists, good characters and I liked the rather unique world (Mordor at the North Pole is a bit different from your usual Europe-blend map) and it only had some minor things I didn't like (like the already mentioned drag at the start of book 2).

I wasn't really surprised to read in his excellent Annotations that he is a religious man, the lack of curse words and sex and the musings on faith were a pretty strong giveaway. Doesn't matter for me, even if I have completely opposite views, since he doesn't come off as preachy or fundamentalist (Even if the most faithful man in the book ends up as god. ;)It is quite fitting for Sazed after all.).

Going beyond that, a theme in all of his books (beside WoT and Stormlight) is that organized religion is often corruptible, or corrupted. If I didn't know any better I'd say Sanderson was an Atheist.

In Mistborn the only religion with religious truth in it was corrupted by ruin, I would say Elantris is more about Hrathens growing disenfranchisement with his religion, and the realization that his monolithic religious leader has been using his followers to do evil, and Warbreaker is about the priest upper class literally preventing their god from speaking to his own people.

Sanderson is really the best kind of Mormon author: the kind that isn't anything like Card.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
^^^^^^^
Edit: Unless I'm misremembering, all of the worlds/universes were created by a single overdiety shattering itself into a bunch of different worlds with different rules. It kinda makes you think that the Lord Ruler might have been onto something with the "sliver of infinity" title, and Sazed strongly hinted to it at the end of misstborn.Mistborn spoiler

Clinton1011 posted:

Wasn't there a priesthood who tried to take over politics and were overthrown and that's why they can't own anything now?

Actually, I just remembered them. They also tried to control the fabrial magic by saying it was tied to the armlets, but it isn't, you need to be born to it. Or maybe it is sometimes and isn't others, it's been a while since I read it. All I know is that main girl transmuted something without a fabrial near the end, and was seeing those nightmare fuel letter heads at the end.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 26, 2011

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

IRQ posted:

I haven't read Warbreaker yet, but the others are relatively small settings that could just be isolated continents/time periods on the same world.

The deities and magic systems don't seem mutually exclusive at this point.

Warbreaker and Elantris are the only two that could possibly overlap. Mistborn has the entire world covered in ash for 1000 years, with the entire population living on a single continent, and Stormlight has giant storms that ravage half the world, with robust trade towards the other half.

and technically, we only know of one set of deities for sure, and that would be ruin/preservation from mistborn.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

arioch posted:

The "new" Hoid is described as a younger man whereas the other Hoids are old beggars/storyteller types.

But that isn't overly strange considering Hoid seems to be in the same league as Ruin/Preservation/Aona/Skai/Sazed/Odium/etc. and is basically a god.

(The "new" Hoid says he took the name from someone he loved. So that's kind of odd.)

Oh hey I just got to that bit in warbreaker and you're wrong (sorry).

Warbreaker pg 374 posted:

Siri rolled her eyes, but continued to eat the grape slices. The storyteller[hoid] waited patiently. As she looked more closely, she could tell that he wasn't quite as old as he seemed at first glance. The beard must be a badge of his profession, and while it didn't appear to be fake, she suspected that it had been bleached. He was really much younger then he wanted to appear.

There's no reason to believe that he wasn't disguised in the other books, as well. I also don't really see how he's like a God when he admits to being from an order known to hop around the multiverse collecting stories, a la that one guy that knew him in WoK.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

The only thing I'd have changed is, I wouldn't have given Sazed a POV right at the beginning. I think it would have been much better if we could have watched from inside as the king's initial contempt turned to fear when he realized he was going to get killed by this thing straight out of The Matrix, and then it switched to Sazed as the king died and tried to pass on his message.

I agree with everything you said, but I think you mean Szeth, not Sazed.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I finished the mistborn trilogy last night, and I have to say it's impressive how much every little detail came together at the end. The earring and Spook's pewter were both big "loving duh, saw that coming a while ago" things, but I liked how the Kandra/Atium thing turned out. Actually, the whole Atium arc in general was great. I've heard people say the whole ending was foreshdowed by the first 100 or so pages, but I can't remember that part well enough to know if that's right or not. I wouldn't be shocked, though.Definitely a big fan.

You saw those coming because he had been explaining Hemalurgy for the whole book. I liked the sense of dread that it leant to know exactly how wrong the characters were being.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

It's a tiny bit convoluted, but not terribly so.

Ruin, however, had corrupted the texts. Preservation had sacrificed itself to make a prison for Ruin. The well was what was left of Preservation's power.

I'm pretty sure this is a not insignificant spoiler for Hero Of Ages.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

thecallahan posted:

Quick question about the ending though: Why do you think those women were kidnapped, was it like Wax and crew though, were they going to use them for breeding more allomancers? If so that's a very long term plan. I was thinking someone found out about hemalurgy and they were going to be used for that in some capacity.

I was assuming they were looking for atium mistings, or possibly mistings for one of the 16 unseen "god-alloys".

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Hell, the first book is "complete". If he hadn't written another word of Mistborn, I wouldn't have felt cheated by the ending. No need to slog through the whole trilogy if you don't like the first book.

The big battle toward the end of Mistborn really gives you a good idea of what he can do as far as a fight scene. You'll know which one I'm talking about when you read it. I'm biased, but if you like fantasy novels I feel like you owe it to yourself to read that. If you can't picture it in your head down to the last coin, his writing style just ain't working for you.

One caveat is that although he says he's very proud of the IB:A stuff he wrote and is extremely happy with how it came out, he's not always the best judge of when he's doing a good job. He also thinks that Warbreaker was one of his funniest books ever, and Lightsong is one of his funniest characters, when in reality the humor consistently cringe-inducing. I honestly don't understand how he just keeps on improving when being able to realistically self-assess is pretty vital to getting better, but it's a fact that he's consistently improved in every book he puts out (except for the "humor" in Warbreaker. Jesus God in heaven.)

I didn't even think lightsong was supposed to be funny until I read this post. I just assumed that the reason his high priest never admitted it because Sanderson knew that he was writing someone who thought they were funny, but they weren't at all.

It turns out Sanderson is Lightsong :(

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Anyway, I was looking through Alloy of Law again, and one thing that stuck out at me that I didn't pay attention to the first time reading the Ars Arcannum was one of the new types of Feruchemical metalminds can be used to store and tap "Investiture", which seems to be Brandon's general term for all the "magic" in his Cosmere works (the use of Aons in Elantris, surgebinding in WoK, bio-chroma in Warbreaker, etc.). So by storing Investiture are Feruchemists storing their power to store? Not really super important or revelatory, but still really interesting!

This isn't really spoiler-worthy, since it doesn't have to do with any of the books, but I'm assuming that a Feruchemist could store his ability to store powers, so rather then spending all his time at 80% weight he could spend all his time storing his ability to store, and then burn it all for a multiplier on his rate of storage. It would probably be a lot better for storing, say, health, since an hour of sickness would be much more healing then on someone not tapping investiture.

Alternatively, it's a way to let Feruchemists collect the various magics they can do (which,like Aons, would normally only work on their world).

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
So Sanderson is going to be doing a Q&A on reddit. He hasn't said anything worthwhile so far, but he did drop this little tidbit:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

My current plan is to hold out on the second trilogy until I've reached a breaking point in the Stormlight Archive. (So after book five.) My reasoning is that the second trilogy is very involved, and I'm not certain if I want two thick-booked series going at once. There is a good chance I'll return and do another shorter book, like this one, in the world before then. Either about Wax, or perhaps a quick glimpse of the southern continent.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

keiran_helcyan posted:

Absolutely, some of the Lightsong chapters in Warbreaker were actually painful to read.

I still think Lightsong not being funny was the point. He was a literal god to everyone he ever interacted with, and considered all of the other gods to be super boring. No one he would have respected at all would told him he isn't funny.

Because if that's not the case, it's just depressing.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Cthulwho posted:

Am i on my own in thinking the mistborn trilogy were bad, bad books?

No! Not at all!

I mean, I disagree with you, and a lot of other people in here do too. It's the Brandon Sanderson thread, we all like his books!

But we're also able to tell that the prose is less then stellar! That tends to be the sticking point for most people.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
A better piece of advice would be to make sure your affairs are in order, because once you get to the last half of the book you won't stop reading for any reason.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just finished.... Holy loving poo poo!

The best part is when you reread book 1 page 1.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Troll Bridgington posted:

I would love a November release, but I won't lose any sleep if he takes a bit longer. I'm honestly shocked he didn't need to take a break after Wheel of Time was done.

But he did take a break! How do you think Emperors Soul got written :rolleyes:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

I'm so glad he did this, because it's not exactly easy to understand what the characters are talking about when they're discussing complex geography, so actually seeing the Jordan defence was nice.

It's too bad most of his magic systems couldn't be explained through diagram, because it's super effective, and probably cut down on the boring explainy bits a lot.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I had one problem with the book: Newcago. What a stupid loving name. Goddamn.

Other than that, it was very, very good.

Still haven't finished it (forgot my kindle at home this morning :smith:) but I just took this to mean steelheart is poo poo at naming things. It's not like he's the sort to allow dissent.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

treeboy posted:

I figured You had to be trying to save him when shooting him and it would come down to an internal mental/emotional decision to "save" him by preventing Steelheart from doing any more damage to society/people's lives.

it's why i'm glad that i'm not a writer

I assumed the same thing but instead of what you said I figured prof was going to go hardcore darkside at the end, and the mc was going to shoot at him and accidentally hit steelheart and for ya'll talking about sanderson's lack of grit, keep in mind that at the end of steelheart, it's heavily implied that the first thing prof did after calamity was destroy the school he worked at, killing all of the students.

I would go so far as to say Sanderson's specialty is hosed up apocalyptic hellscapes. Warbreaker is the only one of his novels I can think of that doesn't fit that (elantris is 50/50 but it's still pretty hosed up with its hall of permanently injured, undying, mentally broken children and all).

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

api call girl posted:

He could decide to "ungift" his powers. He took his power back from his giftees so they couldn't fill the batteries in his place.

On top of that, no one would ever let him use his powers himself, which was why he was just a normal dude

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I wonder how allomantic technology will 'work' - it seems like Allomancy is something to do with people, not something inherent in metals themselves. The 'magic' comes from the Larasium that they or an ancestor ate, and it's not like they have any of that around to experiment on. Maybe Atium is inherently magical, considering it's a 'magic metal' like Larasium?

Well it likely would be person driven. Like, I could see a modern era mistborn having both cheap fossil fuel engines for personal use and more expensive, but less wasteful iron/steel engines being manned by a team of the appropriate metalburners. You could look at how having pewter burners (or pewter compounders) would change existing industries. How would people compete in law enforcement? Or construction? What sports exists.

What I'm saying is that there's a ton of material in mistborn even without considering atium.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Mind explaining more?

I'd assume they're part of the huge number of people that think "young adult" means that something has a light tone.

Steelheart isn't less terrifying and terrible than the rest of sanderson's stories, it's just less subtle about it

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

omnibobb posted:

Nope - Sanderson is hardcore on the ebook train.

Yeah I'm pretty sure without him we'd still be waiting on amol

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Having just finished Steelheart and liked it ok, I am surprisingly excited about this. Also burned through Alloy of Law and that was great. Looking forward to buying Rithmatist and The Emperor's Soul at some point.

Super Steelheart spoilers: I figured that Prof was an epic pretty early, and I was vacillating between Megan being either a spy or an unawakened Epic, but I totally didn't anticipate her being Firefight. I had been spoiled by Sanderson's description of his inspiration for the story, so I was really tuned into whenever the characters showed a personality change. Really missed Steelheart's weakness too, I was thinking the crossfire idea until that was shot down by Sanderson mentioning it. I had originally thought about the "bullet hits Epic then hurts Steelheart," but the description makes it clear that Deathpoint is sneaking up behind Steelheart and the bullet nicks him before hitting Deathpoint.

What I'm really curious about now are what Prof's and Firefight's weaknesses are. Also, where the hell did the Epic-readers come from? Prof obviously isn't an inventor, so what's that about? Some new Epic tech?

Also, whoever had the idea that Calamity is an alien/super that is Gifting all their powers I think is probably right on. I imagine the motivation is much like with Prof, by spreading it out he becomes more sane, at the expense of the recipients.

I also saw a lot of parallels with The Final Empire: I bet they find out that Steelheart was flawed but still trying to do right by people, much like the Emperor. I expect the city to go to hell and David and the gang getting guilt trips as they realize Steelheart was trying to protect them but forced to kill people so he'd be feared, and that he was so paranoid because as long as nobody had the chance to try to kill him, he didn't need to use his powers and was relatively sane.

gently caress "Sparks!" and "Newcago." "Slontze" was kinda funny, and weird enough as an insult I was willing to buy it.

Whoa that's a lot. Anyway, I guess I'm a Sanderson fanboy now. Words of Radiance just cannot come soon enough.

E: Also I always thought Shallan had black hair and slightly darker skin for some reason, no idea why.

There's actually a short story that takes place a few weeks after steelheart [url= http://www.amazon.com/Mitosis-Recko...tosis+reckoners]here[/url] that you might like.

Also newcago being that informs more about steelheart as a character than anything else could.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mygna posted:

So, regarding the last interlude, was there any mention before of Death Rattles and the Thrill being caused by "ancient, evil spren"? I wonder if Moelach and Nergaoul are merely evil like the Nightmother could be said to be evil, or if they are associated with Odium. The Death Rattles foretelling the future probably indicates the latter.

Between that and Shallan seeing voidspren flitting around Skyeels, the Parshmen might be only a small part of what makes up a Desolation.

The only hint regarding the Thrill being caused by odium (or his spren) that I know of is how it would fail Dalinar when he fought against parshendi. I don't think that seeing the future is actually a thing of odium though, since end of book one of Renarins radiant powers is seeing the future. That myth was probably a reaction to the heirocracy rather than actual scripture.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

treeboy posted:

and yet Szeth broke plenty of laws

Superstring posted:

Nin isn't concerned with justice, he's concerned with judgement. Bit of a difference.

To go off of those Since Szeth was truthless, it could be argued that the only law he was beholden to was to obey whoever holds his oathstone. He did that, so from that point of view he didn't break any laws at all.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Are we done with spoiler tags now?

Your analogy falls apart because it should be I will pick apples and I will even pick apples if I don't even want to eat them.

It's basically a way of explicitly saying rules lawyers don't get to be Knights Radiant. Or at least Windrunners.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

From there:

Why do they focus on Sadeas' bridgemen in WoK then? Does tactical importance override their honor towards not attacking the vulnerable?

The parshendi are a species that only sends people to war after they've grown their skin into a suit of armour. it's not really surprising that they'd see everyone in combat as an equal target.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

The other thing that bothers me to a lesser degree is that everyone shares the same sense of propriety and shies away from overt references to sexuality.

The only funny joke shallan ever told:

"words of radiance, page 558 posted:

Stop it, you two,” Balat said. “That kind of talk is disrespectful. Love . . . love is like a classical melody.” Shallan grinned. “If you end your performance too quickly, your audience is disappointed

:colbert:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't he still have momentum when he suddenly Lashes in a different direction?

Yeah, reversing your direction midair would be like pulling 2 G for an instant. More if you lash yourself multiple times at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

In reference to the epigraph: “He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear!”. It's probably relevant that the signs of house Kholin are the tower & the crown.

I'm assuming that on top of that the fallen title is that of the Knights Radiant, or Bondsmith, the Tower is Urithiru, and the spear is Kaladin himself. Alternatively, Dalinar is the Tower (since he represents Urithiru), Elhokar is the crown, and Kaladin is the spear.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure kaladin doesn't have anything to do with the spear, because that's a bit obvious for Sanderson.