Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I don't generally read much fiction, but I loved this book and the Name of the Wind by Rothfuss. I think I like the downtrodden youth rises to greatness genre(my favorite character in this book was the spear guy).

Does anybody know of any similar novels? I'd love some recommendations, thanks.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

BananaNutkins posted:

The Warded Man by Peter V Brett is pretty good and along those lines. It has a fairly typical fantasy with a somewhat unique magic system based around runes. I haven't read the sequel, but people tell me its good. I think of the book as Wheel of Time-lite.

I read that earlier this year and got partways through that before I gave up, just got really bored with it. The whole book basically revolved around one character, which is fine, but I couldn't bring myself to care about him at all. Maybe it's the writing style, but it just put me off.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 28, 2010

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Goddamn legion was such a tease.:(

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

uh zip zoom posted:

I must have really skimmed this book first time through. what is that and how does it differ from surgebinding?

There was some witch who would grant you a wish in exchange to taking something of yours in return. The wish is almost never what you actually wanted but what she takes usually isn't crippling either. At some point in the past Dalinar made a wish and lost his memory of his wife. If I had to speculate, I'd say he probably wished for his brother back.

It didn't go into much detail beyond that.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Are you still giving out codes? If so, I'd love to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Man I regret reading that Legion excerpt when we probably won't get a sequel for a year or more.