Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Raimondo posted:

I felt the same way with the Szeth Prologue from WoK. On my first read it felt over explainy like a video game tutorial on how lashings work as he goes through the level to the boss fight. This time I barely noticed that.

Same with Edgedancer, did not feel awkward the same way I remember when I first read it.

I think if either of these books have received any revisions since original release they have been minor and resulted in the same narrative purpose/outcome. Brandon has made a bunch of comments to the effect of “we figured out with readers help that thing X wasn’t strictly playing by the rules so we nudged it to fit the broader mechanics of the cosmere”. But the plot thread still resolved the same way for the characters in world.

That said, I think WoK more than most cosmere books is best on a second read, or at the very least after reading a lot more of the broader cosmere. I’m working through my third re-read of Stormlight and I agree with some other posters that the mopey/goofy/drawn out sections aren’t actually that long and are just stuffed full of inferences and foreshadowing. You picked up on some big beats the first time through because of Capital Letter Nouns but on further reads there’s just a poo poo load of nuance that is almost invisible unless you know later it turns into something important.

If anything, the multi-viewpoint prologues are the prime example of this. The inciting event not only exposes readers to the fact that there’s secrets everywhere in the text, it also sets up the idea that character texts are 100% just from that characters understanding in world and not narrator level truth.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

CapnAndy posted:

2 - Good question! Don't think that's ever been answered but I also don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't work.

The answer is yes, people can be born in the Cognitive Realm, and by the time of the Stormlight Archive, readers have even met one!

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Taffer posted:

Re: Shallan - RoW spoilers (don't read yet Mordiceius)

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Brandon Sanderson: Spoilers (don't read yet Mordiceius)