Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

soru posted:

I understand that and my point was that it could be backwards from what you've assumed.

That's how I read it from the beginning. Perhaps the cost lead to Renarin becoming an invalid, though the old magic may not work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

mabbott74 posted:

This is border-line trolling.

If you don't like it, gently caress off and go to another thread.

What's funny about that post, for those of us that read the story. Kaladin has an opportunity to get a shardblade, yet, turns it down. No so predictable as that individual thought.

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

Girk posted:

This book was surprisingly good. Sanderson is one of the best at stringing those epic fantasies together coherently that I've seen. The world was really intriguing too; lots of interesting ecological ideas. Very inventive.

The pacing was a bit off, and I found myself really only giving a poo poo about Kaladin, but at least he kept it very centered on just a couple characters. That's one of the #1 rules for epic fantasy for me - don't get caught up in a dozen different characters. I actually prefer just one point of view but I can live with splitting just a couple.

I agree about the pacing. It seems like the story lagged for a few chapters then surged forward to make up for it. The story did suffer through a little too much Kaladin feeling sorry for himself about the people around him that die, I think we can all agree that gets old the fourth time over.

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah that did get a little old. But I do like the position he's in for Book 2. He's in charge of his own group of ultra loyal self trained troops and he still holds a grudge agaisnt most of the aristocracy. I'm sure the monarchy is going to hell in the next book and it will be interesting to see what he does.

Has the book been out long enough to still need spoilers in the thread?

Oh man, so excited for Kaladin vs Szeth.

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

subx posted:

I got Brandon to sign my copy of TWoK when I went to the Towers of Midnight signing event. I like fantasy books way too much... I couldn't think of anything witty to make him write, hopefully I'll plan a bit better next time, this was kind of last-minute decision to go.

Cool! I saw on him tweeting about signing books all week. I wanted to see if he came anywhere in the midwest. Unfortunately he only stops in Detroit, the only place I wouldn't drive. I live in Wisconsin so Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis (St. Paul) were all in.

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

subx posted:

Guess we have to wait for Stormlight 2. Not that I blame the guy, A Memory of Light is a pretty massive undertaking, finishing up a series like that. At least he's not pulling a GRRM and just not working on anything.

I saw that too and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I can only hope that the tentative release date of late 2012 hasn't been pushed back further. I seriously lack patience (besides this is a 10 book series, at that pace it'd take 18 years to finish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

combat_potato
Oct 20, 2010

senae posted:

^^^^^^^^^
This is a Brandon Sanderson thread, I'd hope we all are.

That was actually completely different then Steddings. In a Stedding there's magic making magic not work, whereas in Shinovar there are no highstorms, so the magic can't get there. It's not not that they can't use magic, but there aren't any spren, and you couldn't recharge gems there.

This is interesting to point out. In WOT the steddings have the green shoots that prevent magic just because. The reason why grass grows in Shinovar is because the highstorms don't occur there and rip the grass seed from the soil.