Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

The white sands comic is pretty awesome. Sanderson did a signing at my buddy's game store here in Utah which was awesome. He is such a nice guy and fun to nerd out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Jorenko posted:

There's one story in AU, Secret History, that reveals a bunch of stuff for Mistborn and didn't come out until after the latest era 2 book, as it concerns one of the big reveals. You probably want to skip that one til you're caught up.

Second Jorenko's post, Definitely catch up on the Wax Wayne books and then read Secret History. It'll really link how things work out and make you think about how it all further ties into the Cosmere

Had a work trip in May that I picked up a few signed copies in the SLC airport and gave out as gifts to some friends to get them into Sanderson. I head on another trip tomorrow, hoping theres some hardback Stormlight Archive copies signed this time around for my own collection

Just an FYI if you pass through the SLC airport, the bookstore in Delta's part of the airport has a ton of signed books at no extra charge. Brandon will sign them when he goes through the airport on tour/other trips. It's a really neat thing he does for his local fans and the die hard fans that get stuck in SLC. They do put stickers on the front cover noting "Author Signed" but since he passes through so much they dedicated a large chunk of a book shelf towards the side/back for all his books

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

That prologue brings in some interesting things to think about... and a LOT of questions.

Guess I'm going to have to start coming up with them. I'm going to go with my nephew and some friends to the release book signing in November at BYU campus. If any of y'all have questions you want me to try to ask, think about them and I'll divy them out for us to all ask

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

More to the flashbacking? Let's read!

https://www.tor.com/2017/10/24/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-25-27/

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with renarin and venli. They're going to be a bridge of some kind between surge and void binding.

I'm really interested to know about what happens when someone swears their Fifth Ideal. We have a good idea of what they get with the Fourth (or maybe it was confirmed in a WoB?), and the higher the Ideal the few who will have sworn in it their respective orders.

Unite them

We know that Dalinar united parts of Honor's pieces but there's oh so much more that he has to Unite. I definitely see Renarin and Venli becoming a United thing. Maybe they'll Unite in more than one ways to make the "Voidbringers" merge into the actual original owners of the planet? Book XXX Renarin get's his groove.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

That'd make sense. He could then begin that process by bonding with sja-anat or possibly the now-captured nergaoul when he speaks the Fourth Ideal? Speaking the Third Ideal let him link all 3 realms and he can now provide Stormlight at will (though it's not easy (yet?)) and he can also overcharge people with Stormlight as he does for Kaladin. Speaking the Fourth Ideal might give him the means to forge a bond with the Unmade. Considering that sja-anat can corrupt/change things I could only imagine what would happen to The Thrill if sja-anat was able to do something similar to nergaoul.

I like your thoughts on Dalinar hoping in with Sja-anat and bringing everything together that way. Although my original post was to jokingly point that Renarin and the Parshendi Surgebinder should start bumping uglies to unite humans and pershandi into one race :taylor:

Thinking about it though, it would be amazing if Dalinar actually didn't bring the unmade into things with sja anat and "corrupt" aka change everything to essentially be one. Maybe the reason Hoid is on Roshar is to watch and figure out a way that they can combine 3 shards together to look for reforming the 16. Or a way he can take a large chunk of a splintered shards power without reforming the full shard, I love trying to figure out why Hoid is on a particular planet.

A lot of people are hating on the Sanderson dump, but honestly this book is my favorite of the 3. Straight out of the gates I felt like I was being overloaded with info we've been theorizing about for years. Then he took all of these pieces from the first 4 sections and slammed them into place which just made me go OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Giving myself a break until after Christmas before I start my re-read. This book made me eager for Wax+Wayne's final book to see how we can tie some more concepts together for the Cosmere. I'm getting a big impression we're going to see more Mistborn elements bleeding into Roshar.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Tunicate posted:

that's what horneaters are

Oh gently caress me sideways it all makes sense now.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

I skip the Perrin chapters after the two rivers stuff. It's that bad.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

External Organs posted:

Skyward 3 is up for preorder and is titled "Cytonic".

https://www.getunderlined.com/books/539345/cytonic-by-brandon-sanderson/

Weird title. I love this series though and am excited. Wonder when we will see the most likely superior UK cover.

Edit: oh here it is. Dope!

I just finished a re-read of the 2nd book. I absolutely love this series. Waiting until November is going to be rough

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

The superiority are really bad at war, makes you wonder how humans ever lost in the first place to be honest. In the first war they also had allies that where quite advanced.

They probably lost cause the delver/s attacked them

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Do you get to play Magic with Sanderson at the draft?

I wouldnt put it past him to play

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Fezz posted:

Brandon's a big magic nerd. He used to play with readers at his signings. But I think he's too popular to really do that these days.

I first met him playing magic at my buddy's store before I found out he was an author ;).

And no, he's not too popular here in Utah to get in trouble going to the store to play magic. He still does it from time to time. Mostly people don't recognize/know him. Those that do recognize him generally know him already or he'll sign an autograph and play a game with the fan. He's a pretty class act when it comes to working with his fans.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

I really was meh about Cytonic as a book. Definitely was re-hashed it seems.

I definitely really enjoyed the 3 novellas though. They were a lot of fun and advanced the story I felt. I'm definitely excited for Defiant

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

B-Money gets what he wants

So this is a funny little quirk from the area Sanderson has been living... There actually is a "B-Money" that all of us have ran into at some point in Utah valley. You can see all of the music videos on youtube looking up 'B-money Provo'. I won't link them because it's too cringe. It would be a safe bet that Sanderson has met this guy multiple times from years ago when he worked at a hotel front desk. The B-money in provo would go door to door trying to sell his rap albums and then frequently go to the businesses there to befriend the employees/sell cds or panhandle.

I for one am excited about the possibility of a Stormlight live action. The experiences with WoT and Amazon will come in handy for Sanderson to adapt his own books. Talking about Southern Utah for some of the scenery makes me think about this video for the shattered plains https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJOpZF_4b-w. Just take the flooding they have there and crank it to 11

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I liked cytonic, but it and the 3 novellas felt like they should have just been one book. I don't know if it was to get 4 sales instead of one, or if multiple pov is above a ya reading level, or if the length would have made publishers unhappy, but if the chapters were interspersed I think it would have been much better.

Also I agree the whole solo adventures of Spensa each book was not good. I like the other characters, stop abandoning them. It's still better than reckoners though.

I agree that the novellas and cytonic should of been together. The Spensa show really just didnt do it alone for me. Definitely my least favorite of the series.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Anshu posted:

TLM epilogues I'm surprised Kelsier immediately accepts Sazed's claim that any lerasium produced from the splitting experiments is "destroyed by the explosion". Granted that Sazed has had hundreds of years to become more practiced at lying, but it still strikes me as the sort of thing Kelsier would want to investigate himself just in case.

Honestly... are we sure that Sazed isn't trying to do some things of his own to bring "harmony" to the other shards? I feel like Kelsier and him may have more going on

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

My fan theory is that when Dalinar keeps hearing "Unite them," it means uniting the splintered pieces of Honor and restoring it to an actual whole shard which tracks with yours as an endgame.

I just finished a re-read of Oathbringer and 1/4 through RoW

I'm noticing a LOT more instances of items like listening to the rhythm of Roshar, lots of referencing the Rhythms associated to Odium/Honor/Cultivation. I honestly think Dalinar is being told to Unite Honor as well but I suspect he'll fail

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

funkymonks posted:

It feels like it would take a Dawnshard to mend a splintered shard. Rysn muses in chapter 19 of Dawnshard:

“The will of a god to remake things, to demand they be better. The power to change.”

Re-reading Dawnshard is in queue after RoW and I definitely agree. I'm kinda excited to see what I pick up this time since I read Dawnshard the night it came out straight through. My current re-reads I'm picking up a LOT more that I either glossed over/missed/forgot about. Maybe Ill go re-read the first 2 Stormlight books again, I havent done that since before Oathbringer came out.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

On Nightblood: based on Sanderson's more Mormon sourced concept of the soul, and WoB's, as I like to phase it it is more a "Go straight to the Spiritual Realm. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200". Severing all connections to cognitive shadows and backup plans and cosmic forces

Don't forget the key part that Nightblood drains the investiture when severing those connections. Thus in some cases quite literally ripping the soul apart again. Kelsier would not have a good day with Nightblood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I have finished Oathbringer.

Final Thoughts:
  • Dalinar Kholin went from only being able to relive visions and bond stones back together to COLLIDING ALL THREE REALMS AND RENEWING STORMLIGHT! The Bondsmith class is OP Asf. plz nerf
  • Speaking of that, that entire scene was epic. What a goddamn Oath.
  • I will have to wait until Rhythm of War to find out if Kaladin will swear the fourth Ideal.
  • Shallan and Adolin finally got married. It took them long enough.
  • Teft the Radiant.
  • Gavinor, Skar, Drehy, and Shallan's castaways live. That's cool.
  • How the hell do the Ghostbloods know about Sja-Anat? They have to have Grade-S tier spies.
  • So Renarin can see the future. This should be a godsend. Hopefully, he can see Taravangian actively plotting with Odium.
  • Speaking of King Taravangian, he needs to die. By the hands of Dalinar, Szeth, Jasnah, someone, please kill this old hag.
  • Jasnah, Queen of Alethkar. Not that it matters since Kholinar is being held by the Voidbringers but it's something, I guess.
  • I guess Wit saved the spren that would've bonded with Elhokar at the end? So, that does make Wit a Lightweaver???

I'm not going to go straight into Rhythm of War. My current TBR is:

All of Mistborn > Mistborn: Secret Histories > Dawnshard > Warbreaker > then finally RoW.

I want to take a detour since I've heard so many raving things about Mistborn and some bombshell easter eggs in RoW. I would have dismissed it if I hadn't read all that fun stuff.

This ending didn't leave me as excited as when I finished Words of Radiance, but I was more intrigued, if that's the right word. I am still determining where the story goes from here. With new radiants and new powers, Odium still lurks. Moash is now Vyre and wields an honorblade. . It's setting up for something, but I'm not sure what exactly. Oh well. I will find out in about a month when I finish my TBR.

E: Added one more point.

I'm so excited for you to RAFO based off your comments. It's a treat to see someone's eyes opening up more and more especially with plot line predictions.

I finally got off my duff and finished my re-read of RoW and started down the next books in the cosmere to catchup on all the short stories plus the end of age 2 of mistborn. The last wax+wayne book so far hasn't just grabbed me yet to power through it all night like most cosmere books do.