Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Leng posted:

He's been pretty upfront that just because a character is slated to have a flashback book doesn't mean they will necessarily survive.

On Lift:

I found her pretty grating too. On rereads it's easier to see that there's less annoying stuff than I initially thought.

What's wrong with Lift, exactly? Is it just because she's a "kid character"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

Yeah, instead of a character that's fun to read about, he should get back into Kaladin's depression again.

Lift is great.

Agreed. Between this and Dalinar's skeletons in his closet and all the other depressing poo poo that happens it's nice to have a semi-comic relief character.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Stormlight as a whole is pretty anime/videogamey.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Anime is good and cool.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Lift is Kid Goku from the original Dragonball and you can't convince me otherwise.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Everyone has different tastes and we should all be cool about it and on that note I'm nearly done with Warbreaker and power levels being measured by how much breath you have and the main girls' hair colors constantly changing and the talking black sword and the cool lazy god dude who is cool and lazy and has snappy comebacks for everything and everyone is all anime as gently caress.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I'm not all that certain that Odium is everything he's hyped up to be considering he ran away like a bitch.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sadeas is Loghain from Dragon Age.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

insider posted:

While WB wasn't the best book, its color magic system is my favorite Brandon has done.

The magic system was indeed very cool and interesting. My only issue with WB is its abrupt ending.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Finally read Edgedancer. It was delightful. Lift is such a great character and I'm looking forward to what The Big B does with her going forward.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

How do you even abridge a book where every minute detail is important

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Halfway through Rhythm and can I just say I love Jasnah and Wit

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Never read Malazan but IMO scenes like that are valid if they're there to make a point and not just a product of the author writing one-handed.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I can't handle all this Lift hate :(

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I'm really conflicted on Lift.

I love how she calls Wyndle a starvin' voidbringer all the time, but I can't stand all the "tightbutt" comments and poo poo like that.

It's pretty silly I'll admit but sometimes it's good to have a bit of silliness after 500 pages of politicking and warfare and Kaladin moping for the nth time. (I love Kaladin and I know firsthand that depression is a bitch but gently caress me if it doesn't get repetitive to read)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I get the feeling that's sort of the point. She's got Peter Pan syndrome bad. Really really bad. She REALLY doesn't want to grow up and her weird childish way of talking and antics are a symptom of that.

I'm still only halfway through Rhythm and I dearly hope we get to see some character development for her later down the road.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The Reshi are a cultural 180 from Alethkar and other similar nations. To illustrate, casual nudity is nothing to them while an ungloved left hand in Alethkar is the height of scandal. It's not a far toss to imagine their way of speaking would be vastly different as well.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

It seems like most of the Shallan hate stems from how she gets hyped up on her introduction, to which I say the hyping is normal and expected considering she's a noble surrounded by yes-men at the time.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I hope Drehy comes back.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Decided to listen to the audiobook for my reread and I like how cinematic it feels but also why does Kaladin sound 50 years old

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah and the whole there is an undead army marching but don’t worry, we took care of it off screen.

This annoyed me. Great novel otherwise.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

taco_fox posted:

Speaking of lovely grimdark fantasy, I've been listening to Way of Kings Prime on my commute and I'm super glad the final book didn't include the Shallan rape and multiple forced child marriages.

the what now

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Yeahhh I'm glad Sanderson scrapped that, it's just so unfitting for the series' tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

As much as Sanderson likes to beat you over the head with repeated exposition it actually works when it comes to mental illness because that poo poo does not go away.