Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

Either way, I’m betting on some Voidbringer perspective in the book.

Renarin is a viewpoint character, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Papercut posted:

Wow, I just consumed the Mistborn trilogy over the course of 3 weeks and can't loving believe how good it was. Then I came into the Book Barn for the first time and found out there's another book in the same world. And also a 10-book series by the same guy?! I guess I know what my next 11 books are gonna be.

the 10 book book franchise only has three out so far though - I think it's expected to be finished circa 2040

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Cosmere (all in the same universe):

Mistborn Trilogy
Wax and Wayne trilogy (set on the same world, centuries in the future in a Wild West setting)
(Future Mistborn, waaay in the future like with spaceships, currently in planning stages)

last i read, there's actually two 'future mistborn' series in the works - the next series (after the final wax/wayne book) is being described as like a '1980s spy thriller.'

then, apparently at the very end of the cosmere timeline post- book 10 of stormlight, there's the far future spaceships one. though maybe with unlimited magic available, spaceships don't take that long to get to from 1980s tech.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Also maybe a 1940s/50s mistborn series

lol - i saw sanderson joking that basically, he thinks he can write all the books he's planned before he dies but there's not room to add many more to the list.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jorenko posted:

Lift is the best character because you can tell who is exactly 18 years old by who thinks her attitude is immature and pointless and fails to see the thirty foot high letters of subtext, instead just insisting that All Fantasy Must Always Be Serious.

it's impressive people can read edgedancer and everything, yet still not catch that her entire persona is this facade meant to resist change and avoid dealing with childhood trauma (which she ironically went to an entity created by what is basically the God of Change to get help with)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I feel like if the characters eventually becoming DBZ protagonists is not a good thing in your mind, the stormlight archive is not the series for you.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Stormlight is basically western High Fantasy viewed through an anime lens...so yeah. Spot on.

also iirc sanderson directly says the fighting stuff is inspired by wuxia films

except with a lot more glowing and eyes changing color when you go super saiyan breathe in stormlight

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Susebron is definitely the equal, or more, of the Lord Ruler. Hoid could likely beat the Lord Ruler and Susebron at the same time because of what he has access to.

In Oathbringer the power Dalinar taps in to with his Third Ideal is on a much higher level than the Lord Ruler's power and I'd put the Heralds on the Lord Ruler's level as well. Or some of them, anyways.

For that matter, without atium I'd be iffy on the Lord Ruler being able to take on some Radiants (especially of the 4-5th ideal) given the potency of shardblades and shardplate. Especially a shardblade being used by someone who can move at high speed to keep up with him burning any speed he's stored.

The Lord Ruler was the most powerful guy at two separate shards' magic systems (plus whatever the hell feruchemy is) who at times held so much power he moved the orbits of planets and terraformed them. Susebron is a cool dude and all but his powers are like 'intuitively awaken objects' and such - the better question is probably what Vasher was able to do when he held all those breaths, since Awakening is still kind of mysterious and not that fleshed out. Plus there's lots of discussion about how much research and study is necessary to effectively use it, and the implication was Vasher and his friends were the most powerful in part because they basically were the best scientists at it.

(also awakening is just different, since its constant benefits from doing nothing are incredible, but gaining and spending the power is incredibly expensive in comparison to other systems which is probably why Vasher figuring out how to use stormlight to power it is going to be a Big Deal

But yeah shardblades generally make the 'who would win?' questions pretty useless between magic systems

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 8, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yep, I assume that TLR would be immune to shard blades because he can compound to get ridiculous amounts of investiture, which can prevent his body from being severed from his mind/soul (not that you'd be able to hit him with one anyway with tin, pewter, and feru speed, let alone atium). I could be wrong but it seems like if you can expend investiture (stormlight) to heal shard blade and physical wounds, having nearly infinite investiture means you're pretty much not going to have to worry about them. Susebron would likely be immune to a OHKO from a shard blade as well - probably would take a lot of hits to make him expend enough breaths to die.

Edit: there's probably some WOB about this, feel free to point it out if you know of it - this kind of speculation and Sanderson's interest in indulging it is one of my favorite parts about his work.

i don't see anything on coppermind but yeah considering what we saw Miles do in terms of healing, and that we know stormlight alone's much less powerful healing can heal shardblade wounds, that seems very reasonable

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Taffer posted:

Still, I definitely enjoyed it. The characters were good, the world-building was exquisite as always, the story was engaging and the conclusion bittersweet and satisfying. I'm excited to see what comes next! Should I just right into the next Mistborn series? I know there's a time jump, and I know it's incomplete, so I'm not sure if I should read something else first.

yeah since it looks like you've already read stormlight, moving directly on to the next mistborn books is probably the best idea, then secret history

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

He was protecting someone who couldn't protect themselves. In the end of WoR he says the second oath to the Stormfather, so he was already at the first ideal and could draw in stormlight.

Plus he started researching the radiants after his brother was murdered, so he's certain to have said the words for the first ideal at some point in the past. It's possible he had been at the first ideal ever since the visions started.

doesn't shardplate glow? maybe i'm just imagining it because it's magical super armor

anyways i agree with you, and sanderson has generally been pretty good about foreshadowing potential radiants.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I think bondsmiths just don't get any shards period

pretty sure that in the giant battle at the end of oathbringer we see what looks like an early version of the plate Dalinar will eventually be able to form (don't remember the exact lines but there's bits about glowing patterns around his skin and him not taking damage when he should be, which seems consistent with some of the other pseudo-shardplate stuff people are starting to be able to form) but brandon is being extremely RAFO-y about how any of it works

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Leng posted:

The in text quote from Words of Radiance is where the idea of only three Bondsmiths came from; but the full quote in context is that three is not an uncommon number of Bondsmiths and that they didn't typically want to increase their numbers by much more, the implication being that the constraint comes from the Bondsmiths themselves, because to grow to the magnitude of the other orders was seen as "seditious".

Also lots of theories on Stormfather = splinter of Honor, Nightwatcher = same for Cultivation, then Sibling being a 50/50 mix, then whether going beyond that would mean bonding an Unmade and therefore the reason why increasing numbers would be "seditious".

i do generally like the idea of bondsmiths being very powerful Support casters, basically. for instance, it seems like a lot of the special things that Urithuru has that let it grow gardens/etc are associated with the SIbling, and stopped working when the Sibling withdrew. It's not the flashiest set of powers but making your base be able to independently support an entire army is a pretty good core competency.

also the very unscientific impression i got from reading WoBs was that the Stormfather/Nightwatcher/Sibling don't want to bond more than one at a time, as opposed to the Bondsmiths refusing to allow, say, a second Stormfather member despite the option being available.

I think you're right to wonder what other splinters might be able to do this. To me, it feels like Unmade are so associated with being the evil versions of specific orders that bonding with one doesn't seem like it should grant the common Bondsmith surges - maybe bonding an Unmade makes you particularly powerful at what that one does, like how Reshepir seemed to want to bond with Shallan, and already basically does evil lightweaving stuff.

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 20, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

I still say that Dalinar is going to reunite the splinters of Honor and become the new Honor. So he'll become the Stormfather instead of summoning him.

seems like a fairly safe bet, except that the good news is that the Stormfather was his own thing even before absorbing a bunch of Honor's power so he'll still be around, though it might seriously change how smart and independent he is.

i think that's one of the things brandon's been RAFOing, how much that investiture from Honor affected the Stormfather, because we see how the Nightwatcher is more like a.. pet AI or something for Cultivation? it's definitely still learning a lot and seems a lot farther away from the level of sapience the SF has, though that is also complicated by the fact that the Nahel bond makes spren more normal and relatable to humans.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

I mean, where the hell else is this shared universe going

windrunners being able to manipulate pressure is definitely to make space travel easier in the future

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it's not purely relative, so it'll still be useful in space

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

I think its more than Nightblood continues to try to suck in breaths. When in its scabbard it can't. A returned who can't suck in a breath will die, hence an aluminum coffin would be a death sentence even if there were a ton of people outside of it trying to donate their breath.

Also I think WoB is that the breaths consumed by nightblood return in their raw form to the spiritual realm. But that might be one of those things where he only considered it without making it cannon.

yeah i think it's become a much bigger question now that it's being used against otherwise-immortal creatures - and he has confirmed that (i have no idea what to spoiler in this thread, frankly) it's going to cause permadeath to the Fused. And it's a safe assumption that it'll cause permadeath to the Unmade as well, though I'm not sure if they're strictly speaking immortal in the same way the Fused are? anyways it may not be a black hole for Investiture but it definitely fucks it up real real good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Aggro posted:

Legion...trilogy? What/when was the third story?

the third novella came out last month and you can now conveniently buy all three as one collected book

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean no poo poo its fantasy it has a lady wizard on the cover I mean more what could he possibly be producing narratively that necessitates being 1200 pages long

how does anyone even know that many words? it's crazy dude

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i'm on bands of mourning now. only got one question really: does brandon sanderson want to gently caress melaan?

is that really a question

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me clarify

I am not trying to insult the book.

I legitimately do not know what the book could contain that would make it that long.

I mean, the book is as long as War and Peace which has something like 200+ named characters

think about like.. a story you have read. now put more things in it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hot date tonight! posted:

Elantris has a few neat ideas, but it's almost absurd how much he's improved as a writer since then.

Yeah, I came to Elantris after reading basically everything else cosmere-related and it was a struggle. Also, it's only vaguely relevant to the larger universe right now. I know eventually it will be but at the moment Warbreaker/White Sand/Sixth of the Dusk are probably all more important.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BOTL: "So, has Sanderson stopped beating his wife?"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i know this is just botl thinking he's doing a good own, but sex in sanderson's work is mostly offscreen as a general rule - Mistborn era 1 is an exception because it's about overthrowing a society that's spent hundreds of years as a fascist hellscape.

by era 2 wayne is definitely having sex with a kandra out of wedlock. dude's come a long way given his religious background. iirc he's mentioned that while he knows normal readers think he's a prude, members of his large mormon fanbase regularly complain about him being too open and having too much sex lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

You're considering things like 'context' and 'story' not just trying to derail a thread with wild accusations of rape fetishizment against the staunchly Mormon author who barely even mentions sex.

I think it's cool that he's become notably more progressive over time - it's one area where his big team of alpha readers giving feedback has made him markedly better, and I think you can see a lot of that influence in Oathbringer. Especially given the long shadow that regressive, basically pro-fascist mormon scifi people like Orson Scott Card have cast.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I find it really weird Lamps seems to be arguing he wants described sex scenes in his fiction but I guess a thirsty goon isn’t to shocking.

in that scene where wayne is too busy loving a weird monster wearing a human body to be involved in a big train shootout, i need more details

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BOTL can you share which Brandon Sanderson character you'd enjoy see bone down the most?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

“We had this fellow called Magnus. Count Magnus Wolfram. Who was bald, tattoed, looked like a comic book hero. And I got them all in a room, and I said, ‘Look, does anyone in this room know a count? No. Does anybody in this room know anybody called Magnus? No. Does anybody really want to be in this guy’s skin? Since this is a first person play, why would you want to be in this man’s skin? Why would you want to play [as him]?’ And so we threw him out, and I said, ‘Look. You’ve got a gay man in charge here. Bring me somebody I want to sleep with. Bring me somebody fabulously sexy.’

Sanderson's characters are the same as Count Magnus Wolfram. Absolutely unfuckable.

answer our questions, coward

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Did I miss some super important but impressively subtle subtext and thread of clues woven throughout his arc, or am I just being gaslit?

does this person like really, really love the Rothfuss books as well and refuse to admit any faults there? because that's definitely the particular kind of fantasy guy i am imagining here

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:shrug: Compared to what was out there in the late eighties / early nineties, WoT deserves credit for moving the genre forward. At this point the genre has moved past it in a lot of ways though. For example, what were gender-forward steps in the 80's now often seem stereotyped ("Women do things like this, men do things like That").

yeah I think we're at the point where we can admire that WoT is a historically important series to the genre at large, and even its many flaws were often done better than a lot of its contemporaries. but it's a huge red flag if someone defends it in the way Data Graham described lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 18, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a marked contrast with Sanderson's battle scenes, which always come across as if directed by Peter Jackson and shot from a helicopter camera -- they're clearer and better depicted but much less visceral and immediate.

if stormlight is ever filmed and is not wuxia, i will be furious

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"Have you read the Wheel of Time?"

"Sorry, no, I don't like anime"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mewse posted:

Yes but 50 thousand. How many football fields would that be, lined up end to end

imagine typing even one word fifty thousand times. and i bet most of his posts have more than one word?

that's like a huge friggin book

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Good news! Sword of Truth has Ja'La dh Jin (I actually looked that up!), something like fantasy football. It's horribly written, just like most of the rest of the books, of course.

fantasy football is too generous. libertarian murder football written by someone who has never watched football

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i read skyward and enjoyed it a lot, a very good quick pulp read.

the 'how to train your dragon meets ender's game' description he gives is extremely accurate, although if I were him I'd hesitate to invoke ender's game in a positive way in the year of our lord 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, the last 1/3 of his books are usually called the Sanderson Avalanche. He’s aware of it as a shortcoming, and while it’s not completely gone, he’s gotten much better.

i've seen interviews where he talks about how the Stormlight books are each structured as a "trilogy" internally, and I think Oathbringer was actually the best at this so far and maybe the first book he's avoided the standard avalanche.

The emotional climax is really at the end of the second part, with them terribly failing in Kholinar and having to flee in a very Empire Strikes Back way. Cool big things do happen later, but it felt more like the good guys finally getting their poo poo together rather than having big plot dumps.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OAquinas posted:

The Necromancer Pizzaguy story is getting made. Only he's dropping the pizza aspect.

good news

quote:

My agent once told me that about 1 out of 30 of the properties he saw get optioned eventually got made into a film or show. An option is absolutely an important step, but a lot of times fans see an option agreement in place and start expecting a film any day—when really, this is just the first exploratory step in the process

he'll be up to 30 in like.. a year, at this rate

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

we also don't know who or what a lot of Shards are still, as there are 6 that remain completely unknown (apart from the occasional purposefully-obtuse hint from Brandon, like that one unknown shard's goal is to "hide and survive")

plus no one is actually holding the power of devotion, dominion, or ambition - they're all dead or dead-ish, so far as we know

ConfusedUs posted:

A guy named Hoid appears in most Cosmere books (he's Wit in Stormlight) and is another worldhopper with an agenda of his own; any chapter with this guy touches on the Cosmere in some way.

and hoid is definitely a contemporary and (former) friend of the humans beings who became Shards, someone who apparently had the opportunity to become one but refused

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 28, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

So he is clearly still powerful in his own right, I guess? I've heard Wit's goal is to travel around and gather together a fore of various peoples from various worlds to fight Odium. Is that why he's feared or is it personal power?

yeah no doubt, as ConfusedUs said, Hoid's amassing power at a level we really don't understand - we've only seen tiny glimpses of what he's capable of.

also Sanderson loves the idea that different magics create unexpected synergies that're greater than the sum of their parts, and Hoid's getting beaucoup different magics in a way literally no one else in the universe has ever seen

NikkolasKing posted:

So the Lord-Ruler with a "sliver" of Ruin's power was moving around the planet and stars and stuff and Odium, a being far stronger than the LR, can destroy the planet if he really wanted to. So...why doesn't he?

if you're asking about Odium, It's Complicated. it seems like the answer is something along the lines of: the more power a Shard exerts over a world, the more connected the Shard is to that world, and harder it is to extricate themself from it. and there's also the oathpact

there also may be some larger metaphysical reason like, Odium can't embody his Shard's Intent if he just blows up planets and poo poo. he needs creatures to run around and have Bad Feelings and kill eachother, none of that happens if he just destroys planets

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sinner Sandwich posted:

I think the reveal at the end of the latest Wax and Wayne book about the conspiracy being backed by "red-eyed" creatures is supposed to imply that Odium is actively trying to subvert Scadrial and Harmony.

we got this bit confirmed through a word of brandon, the red isn't necessarily Odium, it's more broadly what happens when one shard's magic system is subverted by another.

so with Scadrial, it's "Trell" coming in and messing about, who is almost-certainly the shard Autonomy (which fits with Paalm's general anti-authoritarian goals, even though Harmony is a relatively benevolent authoritarian)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Harmony mindwhammied Lessie until she betrayed the love of her life, then manipulated him into killing her after she correctly ascertained that Harmony wasn't as benevolent as he seemed. I expect him to be a final boss.

look, we've all made some mistakes..