Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Brandon Sanderson, the writer, about writing the Sanderson brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I world suggest that Emperor's Soul is crucial to understanding soulcasting.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I know I'm new to the thread, but if you're a busy person, you can skip Elantris and read a plot summary :/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I hated Lift until Brandon really started getting into the meaning of her vows.

And shard spoon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am going to need some convincing Gavilar, the guy who knew how to unite the Alethi without an existential external threat to point at, would so tragically misinterpret Honor's recordings.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Brandon does pretty well at answering very specific questions that won't necessarily be answered in the course of reading the text. For example, "Is there significance to the count of chapters you're releasing ahead of the launch date (32), or is that just coincidence?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Avalerion posted:

Shalan / Kaladin / Adolin love triangle. :(

Unless it ends with with the last two hooking up, that would at least be a neat twist on that trope. :gay:

I can already see the fanfiction.

Adolin stretced forth his hand, into which the form of Kaladin's sword arose, sheen like it had formed out of mist...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kinky.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That closing to chapter 6

Edit: I'm not sure that Kaladin knows what an "oath" is.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 7, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It isn't too late to fess up quietly.

Beats having some potentially hostile skybreaker figure it out.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Syl, the granary --"

"KALADIN YOU GOON, DO YOU NOT LIKE GETTING LAID? "

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This...is inescapably now my internal visualization of [that]

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Emperor's S---oh, okay, good.

Sixth of Dusk is good, short, and free. It is also another look at how the Cosmere and investiture work.

At the very least, go read the whole form of the letters provided in chapter heading snippets. They make much more sense unbroken.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 25, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sadeas deserved to die eight different ways, and in Alethkar its probably acceptable for a crown prince to execute a criminal.

Edit: The Book Barn › Brandon Sanderson: No mating. NO MATING!

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 27, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I like Brandon and all, but $13 for a little coin is... dumb.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BraveJoe posted:

the spoiler black line is awesome

i was not expecting the Champion of Odium to show up this early! who would have thought it would end up being Breeze?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So the stormfather simultaneously bonds three people. I know he said that he will never become a shardblade, but I'm holding out hope that, in the final battle, he will relax that principle and become a three-pilot mechwarrior with a shardblade the size of a village

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It Takes A Village-sized mobie suit shardplate Gundam

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

regarding Dalinar's wife: sweet jesus

Like, this is going to bite him in the rear end, hard. As in "Alethcar is now rebelling against you" hard

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BraveJoe posted:

sounds like the perfect time to tell us Dalinar is the kings real daddy

the king's real father is demoux

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Coppermind is pretty well put together

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lobsterpillar posted:

Not necessarily, there could be some other stable equilibrium reached. Probably as a result of some more combinations of shards, though. There's probably shard slashfic out there somewhere.

"Endowment-san, your shard is..."

"Hush, Devotion-chan, now is the time for Connection."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

That group already exists.

17th shard ba-by!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Razzled posted:

My hardcover arrived today and I've just realized how unprepared I am and am debating whether or not I should cliffnotes book 2 or re-read it
:ohdear:

There are summaries online

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

team overhead smash posted:

Yeah, it kind of is as it isn't part of the books themselves and not everyone digs around the Cppermind wiki or or reads all Sanderson interviews to find stuff like that out.

It's like knowing there's going to be a han solo disney star wars movie

that's really not a spoiler however you slice it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hhhooolllyyyyyy ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck its sazed

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I get the sense that some of the 17 Yolen adventures who took on Adonalsium are pretty fallible to the boiled frog problem. It's like everyone who recognizes that Rayze is a major problem--or more specifically that the other vessels are so aloof that they'd rather tell themselves that "bitch had it coming" is a good excuse for turning a blind eye to splintered shards--is jumping the shared universe shark and piling into Roshar for this one war.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

We also know (via WoB?) that Odium fears Harmony and is making plans for trying to deal with him since he can't directly fight Harmony because he'd lose in a contest of power. If something happens that causes them to actually face off I imagine Odium's going to try and rely on making Harmony's opposing powers weaken or destroy him.

Rayse can't fight Sazed directly, and even a bunch of Fused would get completely wrecked by Harmony's forces so a battle between minions would be out as well. Full power Mistborns are powerful in their own right but I imagine anyone who invests in Harmony's powers is going to have mistborn and terris powers in full, which is what made the Lord Ruler so incredibly powerful. Also they'd likely know how to make full use of Hemalurgy, which is arguably the single most powerful ability in the cosmere. Fused/Surgebinders wouldn't just be outmatched, they'd be a source of even more power. Imagine the Lord Ruler with access to surges.

Rayse's forces couldn't use Hemalurgy themselves either because that'd open them to Harmony's influence. It's probably why there doesn't seem to be any indication of Hoid using it either, since it could make him susceptible to Harmony, and/or act as a beacon making him easier for Rayse and others to locate.

There's also an interesting (secret history) thing to consider after reading Oathbringer:

Sazed's surprise means that through any discussions he and Kelsier have had over the years/centuries/whatever, Kelsier never gave him a full recounting of his time after death before Sazed ascended because he'd know about Hoid to some degree otherwise. It also makes me hope that Kelsier is the Mistborn that eventually ends up on Roshar because sooner or later people from that world are going to start getting involved too. Alternately, I'd take a Sazed-empowered Wax and Wayne showing up to shoot poo poo. Or even just Wayne. Who then meets Lopen so we get Lopen and Wayne's Excellent Adventures.

A steelpushing skimming twinborn Windrunner is essentially an F16

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kaladin is a natural windrunner but ho boy, his intensity is going to make him a great voidbinder

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

one prevailing theory is that voidbinding and the unmade are no more "evil" than hemalurgy. Voidbinding is a tool, and the Unmade are soulstuff that's been broken specifically to facilitate Odium's goals

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OAquinas posted:

...actually, now that I think about it I need to reread to see if we ever actually see Renarin absorb/glow/use stormlight.
It's entirely possible that it was just assumed.

didn't he open gem archive drawers with stormlight in front of the Kohlin gals?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Astrognome posted:

Finished this last night, pretty good although I'd say it was the weakest of the series so far. I realized about 2/3 of the way through how much Sanderson overuses italics to emphasize random verbs or nouns and for the rest of the book it was like nails on a chalkboard every time I saw it, which was about once every 2-3 pages. The most egregious one that sticks out in my mind was when Szeth was fighting the convict and the convict dropped his knife to try to grab Nightblood.

I think, when he's writing, that Brandon is internally narrating with the voiceover of the Audible guy who always reads his books. The italics in Stormlight seem to replicate that guy's use of put pregnant pauses or heavy emphasis in the Mistborn audiobooks.

It's like Brandon is using italics as audiobook performance cues.

It actually isn't bothering me because I'm half reading, half listening to Cosmere books, so my internal narration is already the audiobook guy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tunicate posted:

Lopen gets shardplate first, but only one one arm.

Second arm is located near his crotch to accommodate his massive balls.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Brandon has talked about how the insane have cracked souls that more readily pay attention to leakage from the cognitive and spiritual domains. I'd argue that the spiritual bond between a spren and a surgebinder need not necessarily cost the human anything if breaking oaths simply reverts the human's spiritweb back to its original state. Your house doesn't change when you disconnect it from power service beyond just going dark.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 27, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Brandon says otherwise, bit Warbreaker snd The Emperor's Soul are essentially required reading if you actually want to know what's going on in hints and innuendos instead of the big End Of Book Spoonfeeding

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've read Shallan's OB story as less of a disassociative disorder thing and more as a microcosm of young adult coming-of-age issues.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Uh, Brandon is on the record stating multiple times that he's working to avoid making this an Avengers Unite! series.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mewse posted:

All that help and it was still like an alien describing human alcohol consumption

Following is a personal dig at Brandon and his religious status, fair warning

He's literally a Mormon, and by Mormon I mean "Has traveled to other countries to live with The Natives and convert them to Mormonism"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Leng posted:

there's a very good reason why Lightweavers make no oaths beyond the first and instead have to speak truths in order to advance. Sounds like it might be necessary for hanging onto reality/sanity, right?

I had a question to ask for a WoB submission about corundum, but I'm now way more curious about this theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CoolHandMat posted:

is there a list of the Unmade? im having trouble remembering them all from the inital read. there are 8? or 9 right?

WOB confirms there are 9 with a huge astrix on why there's not ten and what that means