Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

She then cuts off her left arm and uses the safe hand as a riding crop.

Surgebinders are OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M_Gargantua posted:

I'd still put my money on him becoming the first skybreaker not in Nales cult

That position has already been taken.

Quantum Toast posted:

Just take a moment to picture him as a squire to Lift. :allears:

This needs to happen now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lift talked Nale out of his centuries/millennia long crusade against surgebinders.

In her conversation with Nale/Darkness in the Everstorm, she speaks like someone twice her age.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah, given how much Sanderson plans books and characters, that one huge part of his personally -- refined fashionista -- is a glaring flag

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NecroMonster posted:

iirc WoB is that the nahel bond is part of reviving a dead spren

Yaarp. You also have to be suitable for the bond to develop, ie someone the spren would have liked

Adolin is perfect, go figure

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

As of Era 2, assuming Wax is not one of the most learned chemists available, Scadrians really ought to be goddamm close to figuring out controlling the Bayer and Hall processes at scale.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's only the likely interpretation of (referenced letter). WoB on that fount of power are RAFO.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Captain Monkey posted:

Did they ever explain how a world with large amounts of very important metals like gold and iron were burned up to fuel superpowers there'd be enough metal easily mined to make spaceships and stuff?

Or is it just a super metal rich world? Or am I just :spergin: ?

A WoB addressed this. It would be theoretically possible to burn up the planet's supply of metals, but the allomancers of old burned flakes to tap power. Availability and consumption ate on totally different scales.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm still waiting for a form of investiture that lets you change the working size of an object.

Combining fecuchemically Identity altering structures with being able to burn a solid ton of pure steel with Duralumin, boom, instant rocket ship. Add in allomantic mass reduction and using that to shift around rotational inertia to get easy reaction wheels and artificial gravity by centripetal force

Before Era 2 books, I was hoping that feruchemical mass reduction was actually just diminishing the user's spiritual connection to the planet. No, it turns out that a skimmer really does lower actual mass :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Khriss is basically Brandon's continuity manager's female fantasy self insert.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mewse posted:

Dalinar: lead by example
Elkohar: lead by divine privilege

Dalinar is becoming God.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My thought on Lifesong is that he's losing his ability to deflect. Far easier explaination is that he's written poorly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Strumpy posted:

Unite them

NO. WE KILLED YOU!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scene still gives me shivers

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dalinar is Brandon's oldest (as in earliest) Cosmere character, so I don't think he's going to cheapen Dalinar's journey in that way.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When are we dropping the spoiler tags for ob?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, my expectation is that the "Unite them" voice is actually Cultivation, who knows, thanks to her being good at foresight, that she's going to get shattered. It isn't a commandment to put Honor's shard back together, rather it's the command to put honor's and cultivation's splinters together into a whole new, combined, shard

Kinky :heysexy:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Renarin might be the character whose story I'm most looking forward to hearing. He seems like such a broken person, but he somehow keeps pushing himself. The journey he and Glys are going through together is heart wrenching and sweet. Neither has a clue what's happening to them, but above anything else they seem to have each other's back.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I get the sense that it's hybrid spren and access to voidbinding that will give Radiant Knight Orders 2.0 more balanced outlooks and powerful toolkits.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aggro posted:

I kind of liked Sanderson’s depiction as being closer to “method actor get way too into her role” rather than the trope of other personalities clashing and acting like “possessors”.

Same.

Add onto this the fact that prolonged use of investiture changes the body and soul, and for soulcasters like Vorin Ardents or Lightweavers, the effect is likely more direct and amplified.

Shallan is probably a method actor who not only gets way too deep into her character, but also literally feeds that character mass-energy-thought-soul-equivalency material.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bardeh posted:

The one I was specifically referring to was one where they're eating together in her room. It's just so twee and chaste, and I understand that that does make sense considering the societal norms they've been brought up in, and I'm not asking for hot and hardcore erotica either, just maybe a bit more of a mature or realistic approach to their developing relationship. Instead we get Shallan's quips that could be straight out of a magazine for tween girls.

No Mating was the best scene in the book. Maybe guys just don't get it :shrug:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's pretty lovely poo poo and I hope it's still in deep development

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rhythm of the Knight

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mewse posted:

GRRM is basically a virtuoso at writing sex and violence

At including sex and violence, for sure...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wayne and Lift need to meet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ConfusedUs posted:

Wayne and Lopen need to meet.

I'd read the poo poo out of Wayne and Lopen's Excellent Adventure.

I want the male Audible narrator to give us a Wayne / Lopen accent "Righteous"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vegeta as a kid

Vegeta as an adult

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oasx posted:

I just finished The Rithmatist and I really liked it, this is the first non-WoT book I have read from him, does he have any other books with unusual magic systems?

Alcatraz series books are quick fun reads involving family talents that grew from quirks in Brandon's own family. To fabricate an example so as to not spoil anything, think of your drunk Facebook uncle always being embarrassingly :tinfoil: online but, occasionally, actually correct about an otherwise well-concealed lie or convenient happenstance.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oathbringer is... Let's put it this way, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is 450,000 words long. Oathbringer is 450,000 words long. OB also has a sandersonian pacing bug. It took a minute for me to actually got to "I can't put this down" status

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Emperor's Soul is a treatise on how magic works.

If magic was real, Emperor's Soul is a really viable way for how and why it works.

Read it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's the built in backing behind how D&D magic works in my brain now, and I've received comments on how tangible stock magic use in my campaigns feels with that added color.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sab669 posted:

Spoilers for the 4 books I guess:

1) I started with Sanderson, and knowing Sanderson finished the series (and also always just hearing how good it is) I was really let down with the magic. It's not very well explained. A mile wide and a foot deep. Again, coming from a Sanderson book I was expecting it to be much more concrete.

2) I really don't like any of the characters. Nynaeve is a stubborn jerk, Perrin doesn't want to be able to talk to wolves, Matt doesn't want to be a lucky son of a bitch, and Rand doesn't want to kill all his friends. I get Rand and Matt's perspectives but the other two I don't. Egwene isn't bad and I really liked Loial. I don't much care for Elayne or Min though, they both met Rand like once and can't stop thinking about banging him. Or now in book 5, Aviendha is like "I hate you I hate you I hate you.. Oh I just woke up with hypothermia after teleporting to the arctic waste and falling into a river. Let's bang". And every male being like, "Ugh women are so confusing" and every female being like, "Ugh men are as dumb as oxen" is really not interesting.

3) I find the Aiel wholly uninteresting, and The Faith Militant is a tired trope by now. Maybe it was more interesting back when this was written, but... And also gently caress that one Whitecloak who is so insistent Perrin is a Darkfriend but then he himself doesn't do anything about the Trollocs in Emon's Field.

4) Every single encounter with the Forsaken was very unrewarding. Rand just effortlessly kills 4 of them in the first 4 books, culminating with Asmodean just running away while Rand chases him down. Every other character makes them out to be these big terrifying badasses and he just squashes them like bugs. Also Moghedien showing up in whatever town Nynaeve was in at the end of #4 and it's like, oh hey by the way mind control powers that make it so you can't lie or really remember any of this is a thing.

So ultimately it just boils down to I went in expecting something very similar to Sanderson and instead I just got a really slow series full of miserable characters in a world that happens to have magic.

I do really like the general notion of wheel of time and the cyclical nature of everything, I like all the ouroboros imagery, but I everything I do really like just isn't fleshed out. So really it's just lowering my expectations of how anything works and instead just trying to focus on Rand turning into a badass.

Also I think it was because I read 4 books straight expecting to learn more about the magic and it just doesn't happen. So now I'm probably just going to rotate 1 WoT book then something else.

I do actually really like Siuan's arc and look forward to how it works out.

This is a brutally good post.

I started writing more content in this post, but you've got it covered so far as I'm concerned.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 31, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

By Book 10, the Bondsmith is going to summon the Stormfather as a spaceship / orbital defense platform :toxx:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean, where the hell else is this shared universe going

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mewse posted:

It’s not strictly necessary but people won’t fully understand the backstory of the cosmere unless they take a weekend and read wheel of time

dragonsteel had nothing to do with wheel of time though

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

row

Recreance: *happens*
Dalinar: "Hold my beer."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

HelixFox posted:

I was reading the Ars Arcanum in RoW and noticed this (spoilered just in case but not relating to any plot events):

"Illumination: The Surge of Light, Sound, and Various Waveforms."

It is no secret that Surgebinders will play a role in the Cosmere sci-fi era.

Illusions on radar or gravimetric sensors or whatever if I had to guess.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bruceski posted:

Is this some hypothetical or is Sanderson actually planning to write a Cosmere sci-fi era?

Supposedly, Mistborn is the master throughline of the history of the Cosmere.

Mistborn Era 4 is the Infinity War of the Cosmere, according to the author.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is a detail that was clarified before the release of Hero of Ages, but I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case you don't want answers about the author's style influencing your reading. It has to do with the way Sanderson wants to handle death in the Cosmere.

Sanderson doesn't really gently caress around with undoing death very much. The dead are dead; this was a detail he clarified before Hero of Ages came out.

Interestingly, the above conversation about Roshar has to do with a thing that was undone in a Roshar book because "oops I made a continuity error" regarding how permanent death needs to be.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Emperor's Soul was my introduction to the Cosmere, and I think that my early attention to the cognitive and spiritual aspects of Cosmere magic has been a huge boon.