Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

space uncle posted:

I just finished my first Sanderson book, The Way of Kings.

I really enjoyed it, probably could have used a bit of editing to slim down from 1124 pages. But I was engrossed the whole time. When I finally figured out that they basically live in a coral reef (600 pages in?) I got pretty excited.

Maybe this is just me not reading too much fantasy recently or making an unfair comparison - but I kept waiting for a Game of Thrones type turn. It’s like I have a flinch reflex from those books “oh I like this character for the last 1000 pages, time for them to die horribly.”

Anyway I was glad that didn’t happen. Made for a nice chill book more in the vein of Lord of the Rings than GOT.

Whoop Whoop. Welcome to the Sando craziness. I would suggest you read Warbreaker before Word of Radiance. Please post your thoughts FOR EVERY CHAPTER while you read every Brandon Sanderson book. We eat those thoughts, opinions, and feelings up. Ask any questions as well. Welcome aboard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

space uncle posted:

Looking forward to Sadeas’s comeuppance which I did unfortunately spoil for myself (I just wanted to see if Dalinar and Adolin were gonna live OK)

Never self-spoil yourself with Brandon Sanderson's books because spoilers last multiple books, and that sucks the fun out of reading them. You have some good guesses but you'll need to read and find out. However, I will repeat myself, and say you should read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance. All books are connected for a reason :allears:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I should be finishing up The Lost Metal by tonight. I’ll detail my thoughts for all three books (SoS,BoM, and LM) plus Secret History after.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, finally got around to starting Mistborn Era 2.

Having just finished book 1 there... it really feels like an overly long prologue for this series of books. That said, the hook at the end of this book is finally enough for me to get over the starting and stopping I've been doing on this volume over the past few months and I'm actually interested in what is going to happen next.

Current read status:
https://cloud.nitrogendioxide.xyz/s/A3bdJPX9kefcrHM

Brandon actually said in either the preface (or after-word, I forgot) that Alloy of Law was actually a writing exercise turned story. You’ll get the juicy goodness you came for in the last three books, even though Alloy of Law is a hell of a read as is.

Anyways….

Spoilers from Shadows of Self to The Lost Metal Below (Including Mistborn: Secret History)

• The Ghostbloods are Kelsier’s Group. drat. I’d love to get a story sometime of how that group was formed and how the timelines align because we see them in Stormlight Archive actively working and they appeared to have been on Roshar for quite some time.
  • RIP Wayne. The most hilarious character I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. I wonder how he will be remembered by or what his title will be in Mistborn Era Three.
  • The Lost Metal read like an Indiana Jones story, with extra juice and divine interventions. I loved it.
  • Speaking of which, it’s clear that these books (and I assume The Sunlit Man because I’m starting the book after I post this) that Brandon Sanderson is angling us toward on a trajectory to full-on Cosmere war or conflicts where our favorite characters (or foods) start popping up everywhere. It’s awesome.
  • Chouta made its way to Scadriel. I guess I gotta try to make it sometime soon. Lopen, Wayne, and countless others say it’s good so I guess I gotta try it now.
  • I forget what trope it was but the whole unsuspecting item being the Bands of Mourning at the temple to the Lord Ruler got a laugh out of me when I realized what was happening.
  • So Kelsier did become a God for a small amount of time and he was also the one who instructed Spook to tell Vin not to wear metal. I should’ve seen that in hindsight.
  • It was also cool to see Perservation at the beginning of SH to decide on the number 16.
  • Bleeder turning out to be Lessie who was a Kandra all along is a little disturbing. What would’ve happened if Wax wanted kids with her? How would’ve that worked?
  • I don’t understand those blue lines that Wax saw when he was sick in Lost Metal. I saw it was a popular highlight on Kindle and when I circled back to it after I finished the book, I still do not understand what I’m looking at.
  • So, the Ghostbloods aren’t evil. They just make sure worlds survive. By any means necessary. Hmmm.
  • Brandon really hyped up New Sean only for us to leave the place in about six to seven chapters. Lol.
  • It was awesome to find out Wayne was obsessively rich this entire time after he invested in Electricity. I bet his sports league idea/investment becomes incredibly popular further enriching Allriande.

Alright, time for The Sunlit Man.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Torrannor posted:

Great post as always. One thing to note is that Brandon said the Wax & Wayne books take place during the time skip between Stormlight Archive 5 and 6. You can infer that from Sazed's letter to Hoid that he's searching for "A....sword, you might say, who can both protect and kill." And that sword of course is Wax.

Personally, I think the Ghostbloods are first and foremost an organization Kelsier founded to protect Scadrial, not necessarily all worlds. And that the individual parts of the organization have a lot of freedom on how to act. Which explains their status as an antagonist in Stormlight Archive.

As for Wax and Lessie, I suspect "Lessie" would just not have become pregnant in any case. I don't think Kandra can become pregnant in the first place.

Well I’ll be damned. Full Stormlight Spoilers: I never knew about the letters until now that someone pointed them out. I read four big tomes and never noticed. I was taking the epigraphs as pre-ludes for what the chapter was about to tell me. Never did I not realize I was reading a Cosmere bending letter; one part dedicated to Gods in each Stormlight book. Sheesh.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So I finished The Sunlit Man..

• So Sigzil, the main math man of Bridge Four, is actually a Cosmere traveler who runs away from the Night Brigade.
  • Aux is hilarious. RIP.
  • Some worlds know how to use Space Travel. Scadrians already can do that, so it looks like Harmony kept up his end of the bargain with Kelsier to super-charge Scadriel with technology.
  • I love how people from other worlds are scared of Shardblades, no matter how advanced they are.
  • Bridge Four for Life.
  • Hoid has a dawnshard. Huh. Go figure.
  • I can't help but wonder, what could be going through Rysn's mind at this point in the story?

Now finally, I'm in the approach and final landing sequence. Current reading order:

Elantris - Arcanum (w/ Emperor's Soul) - Tress - Yumi

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 6, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

Animal is Dalinar

Makes complete sense. Oathbringer Spoiler: Don't let Animal rock out a little, and he might burn down everything.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

That's a big fat RAFO

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I tried to get started with Elantris and tapped out about halfway into Chapter 2. I'll return to it after I finish Sword of Kaigen but it's evident that Brando didn't get his magic on Book 1.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Elantris is the one book where I would recommend that people just go read https://coppermind.net/wiki/Summary:Elantris and skip the book. Only read Elantris if you have no other books on your TBR list.

I just did that so I'm glad I am sharing brain cells here. Also, damnit, I didn't get any badges because I slept in.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

Something has been bothering me now that I'm ~25% of the way through Mistborn: Shadows of Self.

So the Kolass are still around and kicking (and apparently breeding, though I don't remember that being possible in Era 1.) And I don't remember Ruin being actually killed, just his plot to use Preservation being thwarted by the Vin and Sazed (when he became Harmony) by burning up all the Preservation juice before Ruin could get his hands on it. But Ruin should, like, still be out there puppeting the Kolass right? Like he can't be totally gone since the investiture for Hemalurgy still works by virtue of the Kolass and Marsh (in the epilogue of the last book) not just falling to pieces. So is Ruin just playing it cool with Harmony now? Is Sazed not at all concerned about Hemalurgy still being used?

As was previously said, reread the Sanderlanche at the end of Hero of Ages. That will answer this question. As for Hemalurgy being used still, you just gotta RAFO.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Something I can't get over is (Sunlit Man Spoilers) that how feared the Roshar Ideals are. I was reading about spaceships, hovercycles, guns, etc., etc. and I thought to myself, "Man, our favorite Roshar characters are gonna have to play a monster game of catch-up to keep up with all these other worlds." Only then to read that these advanced Scadrian scientists are like, "Oh poo poo. Sigzil has a Shardblade." Now I'm asking myself, "So, how powerful are Dalinar, Navani, Jasnah, and Kaladin gonna end up being in terms of power level throughout the Cosmere?"

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I mean (Stormlight Spoilers): We even see Lift reviving a dead Yanagawn. And that was just Stormlight alone. Not like where Wax died and had to have all the powers of Feruchemy + Allomancy to revive him.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

Sanderson's WoB on it is funny, at least: Shallan's in, obviously, and Adolin would go for it too, but Kaladin is "as much as prude as I [meaning Sanderson] am" and he wouldn't agree.

Notice how nothing in that response says anything about Kaladin not being into dudes (or, at the very least, Adolin).

Kaladin: Severe Depression / Anxiety
Shallan: DID

Adolin: ?

Adolin is not mentally-broken enough.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finished Mistborn: Shadows of Self.
Man

For a god you're kind dumb.

Boy, if you think he is this dumb now… RAFO

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Ten days later and part 4 is done.

OATHBRINGER PART 4

Part 4 was very enjoyable. Not quite the power house of Part 3, but a deep breath before the storm, so to speak.

Let's start with the Dalinar flashbacks - what a depressing man. An incredible portrait of an alcoholic too. The first flashback in this section was so good. Him wandering Kholinar rambling about how Gavilar hid his booze only to listen in on the conversation for the reader to hear about how Dalinar has been drinking it all and forgetting and blaming everyone else. Fantastic use of an unreliable narrator to drive that home. Every Dalinar flashback chapter is just incredible at driving home what a miserable, pathetic man he is during this time. His outburst towards Adolin and Renarin is... rough. I wonder if anyone with alcoholic parents found the Dalinar flashbacks triggering.

Shadesmar - I don't have much to share about this part. It was cool. At times I had trouble picturing things because everything is so completely weird and different. Like, I know there's an eternal false sun in the sky, but like does it feel like daylight? A lot of art makes it look like the area is in eternal night with the "sun" being like a brighter moon. I don't feel like we had a ton of revolutionary aspects in this. It was cool to see, very alien, but this felt more just like these characters on a physical journey vs a journey of self-discovery. I did like Kaladin finally getting to his wits end with the Honorspren. Also Adolin's confession and Shallan just saying "good for you."

Dalinar & crew in the present - Stuff is moving. Other than the major revelations at the end, this section felt a lot like moving pieces into place for the big finale. I feel like this Sanderlanche is going to be a doozy. Part 5 is 7 hours long in this audiobook, compared to the prior books being around 3-4 hours long. Plus, one of those chapters is 2 hours long alone.

The "we're the true colonists" reveal is something I had, unfortunately, had previously spoiled to me from a friend that gets too excited about things.

I do not like Venli. I am wondering if Rhythm of War will change my opinion.

I want to go to Shinovar!!!!! I feel like that has to be centrally important to book 5, right?

Since I am nearing the end of book 3, I've been trying to speculate what I'll get for books 4 and 5. Each book needs to be a bit of an escalation, because that's how he always does is. The climax of Oathbringer will clearly be in Thaylenah and I doubt we do anything much beyond that. For book 4? I know it's a Venli book, so I can only begin to imagine how she gets more integrated into things. Will she join the Dalinar crew? I'd have to assume so or else that would make RoW feel like two halves of a book smashed together. For the core plot of book 4, I guess I would assume that we'll get some retaliation for whatever happens in Thaylenah. The EmpireFused Strike Back. Maybe a counter attack on Urithiru? But I bet Dalinar and crew push for the liberation of various nations on Roshar. (maybe even reclaiming Alethkar?)

I doubt we go to Shinovar in book 4. That feels like a Book 5 thing, since that's the Szeth book. My guess is that a lot of book 5 ends up revolving around Shinovar (they still have 8 Honorblades there). Watch Shinovar basically turn out to be a Rosharan Wakanda. I would not be surprised if Book 5 took us to Ashyn or Braise as well.

I'd like more Shadesmar too. I think the cover of Book 4 shows Shallan in Shadesmar, so I feel like I'll get my wish there.

Currently: Part 3 > Part 1/4 >>> Part 2

I suspect part 5 will not take me long, I'm champing at the bit to get through it.

There are lots of good predictions and lots of bad predictions, but that is okay. RAFO and enjoy Part 5 of Oathbringer. It is arguably my favorite part of any Stormlight book.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RAFO

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

socialsecurity posted:

You've definitely seen Marsh with both spikes in the first of the era 2 books.

Gotta let the user RAFO. We’re borderline serious spoilers.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

UNITE THEM :qq:

About time you got there. Oathbringer is my favorite Brando Sando work, by far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Dalinar shouting "YOU CANNOT HAVE MY PAIN" while grabbing the cognitive and spiritual realms and slamming them together to create a perpendicularity might be one of the most hype things I've ever experienced in a book.

I audibly said, "HOLY poo poo" when I read that.