Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Kickstarter ebooks just went out. Enjoy your post new years hangover recovery reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Anyone remember/know when the physical books are supposed to be showing up?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Is it close enough to start taking bets on if the rest of the hard copies of Tess show up before ebook #2?

Because while I don't doubt it will eventually show up, I have doubts on the timing.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

pointlessone posted:

Is it close enough to start taking bets on if the rest of the hard copies of Tess show up before ebook #2?

Because while I don't doubt it will eventually show up, I have doubts on the timing.

The race is on now!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/surprise-four-secret-novels-by-brandon-sanderson/posts/3759681

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

pik_d posted:

Up to chapter 7 of The Final Empire

I'm very glad that we got a novice Mistborn so we could get a training montage of what the different Allomancy metals do, though so far I still have 0 knowledge about the 9th metal, and I don't know what Atium or the 11th metal do. Vin has one hell of a survival mode don't trust anybody mentality, I'm guessing she'll shed that around Kelsier sooner or later. This heist seems fun and definitely no part of it will go wrong. Fun book so far, but I'm very curious how much the mist actually does since that hasn't been explained yet.

I just did a reread of the Era 1 Mistborns, you're in for an amazing ride. Nearly every question you have will be answered over the next three books, including the ones you might not have realized to ask. If you're willing, would you continue posting your impressions throughout them?

Mordiceius posted:

What was your gateway to Brandon Sanderson?

I was working in a call center and there was a Boba Fett thumb drive that had gotten passed around with a massive library of fantasy, scifi and horror ebooks. One of the guys were making a lot of noise about Wheel of Time just finishing and they happened to be in the archive. Tossed them onto my nook, slogged my way through the middle books, just determined to unsink the time costs I'd made, until I hit The Gathering Storm and stuff started happening. The rest of the books felt like breakneck speeds, and a day or two after finishing it, I picked up the Mistborn series in a box set. It seems like it's been a race to just keep up with his writing pace since.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 16, 2023

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

I genuinely love the first Reckoners novel. The other two are fun, but the first one lands for me in a way the other two don't.

Reckoners 2 and 3 felt a bit like "Well great, now how am I going to explain everything that happened?" Not that it was a bad thing, but it just didn't quite have that same punch.

That said, I would absolutely love to see them turned into a show. They're complete, self contained, and fast paced enough to fit nicely into 3 seasons on a streaming service.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

pik_d posted:

The Final Empire chapters 26-34 (Part 4)

I finally know what the 9th metal is, but it's just gold and it sends you on a self discovery acid trip. I do think it'll eventually be useful for something though. Kelsier has underestimated pretty much everything but iron and steel in terms of the nuance of how to use them so why not this too?

It's also pretty interesting that Vin can detect stuff through copper clouds, it makes me wonder if it's simply that she's better (I don't think so) or that there's another rung on the Misting/Mistborn ladder. Misting/Mistborn/Mistlord?

Some really cool fight scenes in this part as well. Vin took on two Mistborn and some number of Mistings when she killed Shan. She's a boss. Then Kelsier getting some action in destroying the Pits of Hathsin and then killing an Inquisitor before ultimately getting brushed aside by the Lord Ruler.

Which is screaming "fake out" death to me. The Renoux Kandra is involved somehow. Can Kandra's use Allomancy when they absorb Allomancers? :thunk: Their abilities have really not been explored at all, I have no idea how much of someone they need to absorb in order to take on their shape.

I'm also really curious how important Eland is going to be, for a while I thought he'd turn out to be a Mistborn but he very much doesn't seem like one, though maybe he hasn't snapped yet. He's definitely getting in over his head if he really has no Allomancy.

I just want you to know how much I'm loving these.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Book 2 is the lowest point in Mistborn/Sanderson all together, it ends well but that whole mid section of pointless politics is the loving worst.

There's some fun characters, but it could have been 2/3 the length and not really lost anything to the rest of the story. The good news is I think they're only one part away from everything taking off and going batshit for the rest of the series.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

Welcome. By finishing this section, you have just crossed the border into The Sanderlanche. Strap in.

You know those roller coasters that have brakes right at the top where the front cars hang just past the launch point to increase the thrill after a painfully long lift hill?

That's the Sanderlanche for Well of Ascension. The next update is going to be incredible

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

pik_d posted:

The Hero of Ages chapters 45-58 (Part 4)

This is the point of book 3 where I ended up staying up all night to go through the Sanderlanche. Wrecked at work the next day because I got like 2 hours of sleep, still worth it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Secret project 3, or BrandoSando discovers anime

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. The setting was great and I hope he revisits the cyberpunk world in the future, it's a lot different than his normal settings. It had it's issues like waaaay too many Cosmere Proper Nouns that literally got "I'm not going to get into that" explanations which really hurts this one as a stand alone recommendation, but for fans it's not a large issue. I've yet to crack into my physical copies, but the artwork in this one is absolutely going to break that streak.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I think -- and I'm not sure if I'm remembering right, and I really don't think this is a spoiler, but just in case: they burn through one Breath a week just to maintain themselves, and have, separately, a massive stash of Breaths they can't access without dying.

Ha! I personally thought a character in this book was Vin 2.0, and there's a Vin 3.0 coming in TWoK.

Tress is so, so far ahead in the chronology. The Elantrians have spaceships, the Nalthans are making smart tablets, I'm pretty sure there's at least a hint that Scadrial is also at least at their technological level, which means the Rosharans might be too. It's either Tress or Sixth of the Dawn that's set the furthest in the future.

More minor timeline spoilers Yumi is even further ahead, since Hoid makes a joke about his state in Tress

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

To write five books? That's three years max, unless he gets bored and just cranks out four books in a year again.

Hell, at the rate he writes, he might accidentally write one while waiting for pizza to show up one night.

I expect a John Henry-esc legend about him vs an AI writer in the future.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 21, 2023

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Leng posted:

:allears: me hoping for another Shallan fan in the thread.

Reporting in. Having her be the pin for secret book box 3 made me happy.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

I'm reading through Oathbringer right now, having read the previous two years ago, and I don't even remember anything more than the broadest strokes of the preface-pocalypse. It's half a book of world building that still hasn't really paid off more than a vague history lesson after the gap, thousands of literal pages later.

PS: Shallen continues to rule.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

Also - every time Dalinar isn't present, I'm asking "Where is Dalinar?"

Replace with Shallan, and also Yes.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Cook dinner from the inside out: The new Ginsu Shardknife, only $19.95.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Secret Projects ranking chat -

I think everyone agrees that Low Rent Mostly Harmless was a miss, and I was really on board with Yumi and Tress (Yumi slightly higher, it just felt better paced over all)

Sunlit Man left me feeling weird though, as I'm not remotely caught up on the entire Cosmere. It felt like I was reading spoilers for stuff that I know hasn't been written, but wasn't really sure it hasn't the entire time somehow? Even with that tucked in the back of my mind while reading, still enjoyed it greatly.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The more I catch up to the rest of the Cosmere, the more Sunlit Man moves toward the front of the line for me. I just can't get over how much it felt like it was just chapter after chapter of spoilers (even though it really isn't?) and that really put a damper on how I enjoyed it.

Yumi is the big star for me, Tress just so slightly less because of too much Hoid and it interrupted the solid Princess Bride vibe, and Wizard's kinda felt like it was trying too hard to be Hitchhikers Guide without landing the absurdist humor.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

mewse posted:

The secret projects were a result of covid lockdowns and sadly I don't think they'll be repeated.

Not with that attitude it won't. I expect everyone to do their part in licking door handles at the airport to start up another global plague so this one dude will write books slightly faster.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm about where you are. I'm thinking Yumi and Painter need to combine with the other's spirit version on both worlds to become the super magic artists they need to be to defeat their respective foes.

You have a good idea though, the scholars' machine might be inadvertently pulling up the shroud by ripping spirits apart to make accessible hion, creating the conditions on Painter's world.

I really like it so far. I am kind of annoyed by the constant narrator asides, i.e. "This is just like X on Roshar/Scadrial!"

RE: Narrator issues in Yumi
For being a stand alone/first novel of a new world, Brando really went heavy on the Proper Nouns without any sort of background to them. While it's fine for people who are mostly Invested in the Cosmere, I want to be able to share these books outside of my normal tiny circle of fantasy reading friends and it really puts a damper on it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Louisgod posted:

I feel the same way, I want to read Yumi and Tress to my kids but it's going to be tough to explain these parts but whatever

I know that at least one of my friends would adore Yumi because part of the inspiration is one of her favorite games, and another's kid is going down the nerdy path and loves The Princess Bride.

"Here's this book I know you'll really enjoy, and here's the two shelves of related universe you'll need to have passing knowledge of, just in order to remotely understand what on earth happened at the end."

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Ha, I'll try slipping the kid a copy of Warbreaker next time I see 'em

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The first rule of Sando club is you always talk about what you're reading to the thread.

...So I'm going through Warbreaker and I'm absolutely loving the (Warbreaker and the tiniest of Sunlit Man spoilers) ethical concerns of the magic system so far. The choice to make Breaths a standard unit of measure for Investiture in the far flung future cosmere is fascinating considering the source. The expending of Breath is such an extreme moral departure from the other external power sources like Stormlight or burning metal. Even with it only being able to be transferred "Willingly", it's already been shown off as literally children being sacrificed to their gods.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 6, 2024

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

I can't imagine how many concessions and limits a live action Stormlight would have to have without having a budget of billions. Spren alone would require hundreds of vfx shots an episode, it just makes sense to animate.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Out of context Warbreaker reactions.

https://i.imgur.com/8nUYRcr.mp4

I think I'm about to hit the Sanderlanche, everyone's starting to move on their respective plotlines.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Backer #30647 in for more secret projects and it's well over $11m in the tank now.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Torrannor posted:

Oh boy, I don't think you're prepared for Part 4. Enjoy the ride!

The end of Final Empire is about 80% of the reason I want that entire series to end up as a high budgeted animated project. What an incredible finish.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Book finished. Final Thoughts:
[*]3.5/5 stars. Hopefully, Hero of Ages is a stronger finish.
WoA, outside of a few really great moments, is easily my least favorite of the Mistborns.

Strap in for Hero of Ages. It's a solid payoff for making it through Well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Please, just animate it. Metalborn powers aren't going to translate well to live action without hilariously large budgets, and Stormlight's even worse.