Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!
I just started the book, I'm about a third of the way through, and I'm really liking it. I could see myself loving this series and Sanderson's writing as I complete the book.

I do agree there is a bit more exposition given than needed but at least it doesn't feel repetitive.

I haven't read any other Sanderson but I was considering getting Mistborn. Is that still worth reading even though it seems people are saying he's less mature as an author and some of the characters are very similar?

I hope the next volume comes out soon as I really enjoy long narratives (as long as they have a defined progression). I was hunting for info on any start of it but haven't found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yes I have, and I say this not in spite of the ending, but because of it.

It's too straightforward and pat for me. Something doesn't jive about that ending, I'm just not quite sure what yet.

Edit: To be clear, what I mean is that I really don't think Sanderson is going to lay his cards out on the table like that. That big reveal at the end is almost certainly not the whole story, even if it's not the whole story in a way I didn't expect. In his previous books, he's shown he has a way with making you think the big reveal is definitive, then turning it on its head in the next book in a way that makes perfect sense, if only you hadn't accepted the what the characters said as truth.

The big reveal was done by a character, not a reliable narrator. I don't trust it.

I just finished the book and of the two reveals right at the end. I totally buy one and hope the other isn't what it is made out to be. Being book one of ten, I'm game for anything.

The reveal I buy: Dalinar's visions being from the one they call The Almighty

The one I hope is wrong: I hope the Parshendi aren't Voidbrjngers or as evil as they're made to sound in the histories. They seem just like another people trying to survive

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

thecallahan posted:

In response to your first paragraph

I don't have the book in front of me so I'm going to totally ruin the spelling. I thought the king of Kharbdrumn (the place where Jasnah and Shallan are) was responsible for that. Didn't he tell Szeth that he's always been his master?

That's how I took it too. That the King of Khar-whatizit told him to kill Galivar. The question is, why do the Parshendi accept the blame? I can't buy Parshendi being totally evil dudes

I do like the hive-mind idea and that the lack of a queen gives the regular parshmen "no music."

I was also hoping that the pairs of Parshendi were something like husband/wife teams or master/apprentice. Though, I guess that will be explained later.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Brandon Sanderson interview with some notes about book 2:

B-Dog posted:

SANDERSON: Good. The tentative title was originally Highprince of War. I’m not decided on that yet, because it might be Shallan’s book, not Dalinar’s book. It depends on whose flashbacks I decide to tell, and which ones will complement the events of the next book. Though I have an expansive outline for the series, I really have to sit down and get a more detailed outline for the second book before I decide which title I want. If it’s Dalinar’s book, it will be Highprince of War. If it’s Shallan’s book it will not be. Tentative release date? I’m going to start on A Memory of Light January first, and it will be published probably about three months after I finish it. (Knowing how Tor’s publishing my books these days.) It will just depend on how long that takes to write. Then I will start on The Stormlight Archive 2 after that. I don’t anticipate that book being as hard to write as A Memory of Light, which is going to take a lot of time and a lot of work. Best case is that I finish A Memory of Light in August of next year, it gets published in November, and I write the sequel to The Way of Kings starting immediately after that and finish it in the middle of the next year so it can be published November 2012. That’s the best-case scenario. But it’s what I hope to be able to do; we’ll see.

http://booktionary.blogspot.com/2010/09/brandon-sanderson-interview-stompingmad.html

That's a lot longer than I'd like to wait. Oh well.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

I just finished the first Mistborn book which really grabbed me. Though, by the end, I felt everything was just finished and wasn't really inspired to read the next book. I know there were a few things that weren't answered yet but it didn't bother me. I went on wikipedia and spoiled myself on the rest of the trilogy and don't have a desire to finish them really. I also felt: That the death of the Lord Ruler was a bit too easy after all that build up about how super-powerful he was. I really did enjoy the whole man vs god aspect and how impossible it seemed. The summaries of the last two books didn't feel right compared to that.

I started Warbreaker, which isn't bad so far, but I really do see now how Sanderson is in LOVE with magic systems. Especially, comparing Mistborn/Warbreaker/Way of Kings I can see it.

The story in Way of Kings does still have me interested and I do want to read more of it, but the geeking out on these systems and finding out X secret aspects can be a little repetitive.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Finally finished the Mistborn trilogy after racing through the first one. The second two never grabbed me as hard, mainly because I just didn't like the gods aspect of the story.

Though, I did like how everything fit together at the end (Vin's earring) plus the final appreciation of the Lord Ruler.

I've now read: The Way of Kings, Mistborn 1, Warbreaker, Mistborn 2-3.

Sanderson really gets off on systematizing magic (boy loves his magic cards) but I do appreciate the twists in story. I really want more Stormlight Archives. I just hope he doesn't get too ambitious and starts so many stories without finishing older ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Chamberk posted:

Okay, so I just finished the Well of Ascension...

Why did Vin give the power of the Well up? She had the power of a god, could stop the mists, could save Elend's life... and she gives it up because Elend wants her to? Yes, I know that something was changing the prophecies in order to MAKE people give it up (so that Ruin, or whatever, could be freed) but I don't exactly understand Vin's motivation when she did give it up.

I assumed she gave it up because she didn't want to be like the lord ruler from the texts. Giving up power like that is a noble sacrifice right? I agree it wasn't too clear.