Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
Also it should be noted that Sanderson is a machine and this series will definitely be completed in a timely fashion, barring an act of God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

L-O-N posted:

Also, it's interesting that Shallan is the one that has a shardblade. Wonder if she's going to learn to use it or give it to someone else. Can't wait for the next book. Between this and the end of Wheel of Time, Sanderson is just pumping out good books.

When the hell did that happen?

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

If I'm remembering right, just before she melts her lamp via soulcasting, she considers pulling it out.

That is a good catch, it was a pretty subtle reference. Where it says "Except . . . "

edit: actually it wasn't even that subtle, I just can't put two and two together, apparently.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

This book owns. It's really good.

I agree. I can't believe we've got 9 more books, though. At least we can count on him to put them out at a good pace. I remember him saying he was shelving it until he finishes the last Wheel of Time book, unfortunately.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

moist towelette posted:

I just finished this last night and I still can't decide if I really liked it or not, it started off so strong and finished well but the middle half was just so tedious for me, especially the flashback chapters. I realize that books in this genre are usually long, and it can take a while to set things up especially at the start of the series but it really felt like next to nothing happened for hundreds of pages.

I actually really like his sense of humor that pops up occasionally here and and in the wheel of time book he wrote, I can't think of an example but it took me by surprise once or twice.

Yes. As much as I enjoyed reading present day Kaladin chapters, the flashbacks really felt like a grind. They add a lot of depth to his character but it seems like Sanderson could've cut back on the flashbacks without losing much.

Flashbacks are almost never interesting in anything, though.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

The reveal I'd put stock in the Herald showing up at the end bringing warning of the desolation.

You may be right that not everything is as it seems, however.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Gamesguy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I read that earlier this year and got partways through that before I gave up, just got really bored with it. The whole book basically revolved around one character, which is fine, but I couldn't bring myself to care about him at all. Maybe it's the writing style, but it just put me off.

It actually does switch characters. The writing style is bland, but the story does pick up.

I just like the concept of this book so much (no spoilers); people are basically living in the dark ages because at night they're terrorized by demons which materialize out of the Earth, and when the book starts, humanity is fading away.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

senae posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason he gave is that it would just slow him down.

The Way of Kings posted:

His Lashings interfered with the gemstones that powered the Shardplate, and he had to choose one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

arioch posted:

For what it's worth my last re-read (when I bought all the books on Kindle) only took about 10 weeks, inbetween classes and work.

I got through the first 8 books in two weeks the first time I read them, I was on summer vacation though.