Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leng posted:

NOW WE KNOW WHAT THE DAWNSHARDS WERE!!! And how Adonalsium was killed. And no wonder Hoid is the way he is, he was a freaking Dawnshard himself. Does this mean Rysn is gonna be important for the Cosmere endgame? With full grown Chiri-Chiri? SO AWESOME.

We know so much more about them but still barely anything, I think we'll find out more about them in the second half of SLA, and won't find out about their actual use on Adonalsium until Dragonsteel

MildShow posted:

I assume there are four Dawnshards, and that there are four Shards for each Dawnshard? How do Dawnshards compare to their respective Shards, particularly in terms of power? Who are those the Sleepless are fighting against? I get the feeling they’re at a scope even greater than Odium, or at the very least separate from him.

There’s always another secret, indeed.

My guess is that there are 4, and each one has the 'intent' of 4 current shards (albeit less specific). I think the dawnshards are where they got the idea but decided to break each of those intents into further subgroups. It seems like they're the 'intent' part of the shard, that often eventually effects the bearer. Part of a fundamental force of the Cosmere. I think they figured if they broke Adonalsium apart the same way they could take the Command/Intent part and the power as well and become gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Skuzal posted:

Big end of Dawnshard Spoilers :

I think that when Adonalsium was cracked apart by the Dawnshards, each of the resulting shards was then split again and so there were 16 total shards that resulted from that, where 4 of the shards share a similar Intent but taken a different way, an example would be Cultivation and Ruin, both of those shards seek change but accomplish it in differing manners. Considering that at least with Mistborns magic there are 4 groupings of 4, I think its likely that among the shards, each is similarly split into a group with each Dawnshard representing that group as a whole.

I agree, that's pretty much what I meant if that wasn't clear, sorry.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Skuzal posted:

Oh no you are all good, I just wanted to elaborate on what you had said.

More Dawnshard spoilers:

I also wonder since we know that Odium is responsible for the splintering of other shards, including Honor, if he at some point also held a Dawnshard in order to accomplish that task. Or if he even still does. Since at least from Preservation and Ruin we know that in order for one to kill the other, it resulted in its own death so Odium needs to have some sort of greater power behind him in order to accomplish the splintering of other shards.

WOB confirms it's RELATED to the way dawnshards were used to shatter Adonalsium but not the same. Definitely gave him the idea though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Subvisual Haze posted:

Before you go too far down the rabbit hole of speculation, Brandon Sanderson himself has said that he hasn't finalized all the names of the shards.

I believe he said he'd have them all 'finished' by RoW, even if we don't know it all by then.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

how do i get an ebook early

Usually by having a connection in the industry

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

team overhead smash posted:

Think it confirms he's a fused who previously had Moash's title and has a weird metal carapace.

Yeah we don't really know anything about him yet, but he must be someone important if they let him kill the pursuer like that. I expect him to be involved in book 5 a lot

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

smertrioslol posted:

I kind of expected the pursuer defeated one to get some more time before he got got

Oh and I thought Moash inherited the pursuer title, not this new guy El. They said something about giving it to a human so I figured Moash.

More RoW spoilers
The one who quietsis the title Moash inherited I believe, as that's what Vyre means.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

That would be autonomy I believe.

RoW
It's got to be one of the ones he doesn't list in the epigraph letter to Hoid because of this sentence from the letter:

Other Shards I cannot identify, and are hidden to me. I fear that their influence encroaches upon my world

So autonomy makes a lot of sense, especially with the tie between Trell, Autonomy and Taldain

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

* Odium 2.0 mentions they can't harm Hoid due to the original pact but wiping memories is absolutely a harmful act even if it's not a physical one so that's kinda bullshit. By that logic Rayse or anyone else could've just reduced him to an invalid and yet never figured that out despite the level of omnipotence a Shard gives? I know the epilogue was more to help show how dangerous Odium is now but it still felt really forced with a "nerf Hoid and figure out the details later" design.

RoW
So Hoid was using Breaths to store 'extra' memories, because he's kind of human-ish and wasn't meant to live nearly as long as he has, and the mortal brain wasn't meant for that. Odium did something to them, but we don't know exactly what. Removing memories stored in investiture or the investiture itself isn't any more harming someone than destroying their metalmind would be.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

yes this is what i am joking about

it's confirmed by wob and further confirmed by ROW people talking about how Kelsier has the same 'condition' as the heralds and is trying to figure it out

Yeah I think in practical terms, there isn't really a difference in the cosmere between Kelsier and other cognitive shadows in 'mechanics'.

External Organs posted:

RoW - Anyone have any ideas regarding a Whimsy based magic system? We already have one based on magic chickens for a Shard that is definitely not whimsical so I’m at a loss here. Maybe something in line with incredibly powerful Silly Walking. Ooh, maybe it’s a Pun based system!

I'd bet my butt it's the kite-based magic system he mentioned.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

Hero of Ages certainly starts strong.

I like smaller, briefer chapters. It makes things feel like they flow faster. Plus it means more interstitials.

Sort of confused by the interstitials so far. Dropping massive lore bombs from the start but I have no idea whose voice they’re coming from.

Just FYI if you're ever looking these up for whatever reason, they're referred to as epigraphs on coppermind and the like. I find it useful to re-read them after that 'part' of the book is over, as it adds context and helps my understanding.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

socialsecurity posted:

The Earring is the second best payoff Sanderson has done, the first of course being Spooks accent.

If I could change one thing about anything he's ever written it'd be Spooks, holy poo poo I hate everything about the way he speaks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

The only thing so far that the audiobook spoiled for me is that in Hero of Ages Sazed is the Hero of Ages, since the epigraphs are read in his accent.

That alone in my opinion is enough to justify reading a physical book the first time (for Mistborn at least). Having that spoiled would have really been a bummer if I'd used the audiobook.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

I’m procrastinating with making progress in Hero of Ages because I don’t want it to be over. 😭

The second era of MB ends up (in my opinion) being way better than the first, especially by the end of the third book with the character development that happens, so you have that to look forward to at least

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Best part about reading Elantris is you can then read the emperor's soul, which is IMO some of Sanderson's best work.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Unponderable posted:

But the Returned can die, no? Though maybe Honor's rules are a bit different. edit: discounting the anti-light dagger thing

They can 'die' but return to braize and are 'reborn', unless their soul is trapped which severed their Connection and they wither away into nothing

The Elantris extra line was important because that magic system was heavily based on Connection to the land (because their magic is coming from the cognitive realm) and hence had a huge impact on the magic system itself. A part of the world being damaged on Roshar is very unlikely to be the cause of the deadeyes in my opinion.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

a foolish pianist posted:

Mostly unrelated, and I've only read the Stormlight books: Is there a reason they're called the ghostbloods? Or did they just like workshop up a cool-sounding name offscreen?

Because he's a cognitive shadow held together by hemalurgy, or a ghost by blood magic

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

[putting spoilers around the mistborn era 2 content below since i know at least one thread regular is still reading them, really don't read this discussion if you're worried about spoiling that]

it's specific to Scadrial in that it's the magic system of Ruin, but it is theoretically usable anywhere if you have sufficient knowledge of how it works (stuff like placement of spikes is very, very specific and that knowledge was closely guarded and may currently be nearly nonexistent outside of Harmony's mind and kelsier and potentially spook if he's not dead and maybe some kandra), making for lots of scary potential but not a lot of people who could actually do it.

it's not innate to the cosmere, so it's not like other Shards would just automatically know how it works and be able to do it on their own at will , but as we see in Mistborn Era 2,"Trell" is able to provide their godmetal to kandra to use as spikes with a unique effect

To further expand, here is the blurb from coppermind regarding this:

quote:

Hemalurgy can be used anywhere in the Cosmere,[22][23] as long as there is an Intent to create a Hemalurgic spike,[24] and it has indeed shown up at least once on a different Shardworld, though in a subtle way.[25] Hemalurgy can also steal attributes from other forms of Investiture.[26]

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Hemalurgy the actual page so you can check WoB references, sometimes I find little interesting nuggets in the actual statements he made.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

scary ghost dog posted:

the most appropriate format would probably be cgi series like star wars the clone wars

That's a weird way to spell 'whoever made Castlevania for Netflix'

Clone wars style animation for SLA though, that I could get behind. Fits the tone better IMO

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

One Punch Man season 1 single-handedly changed my entire opinion on anime, the animation was INCREDIBLE. The manga is even better, the artist conveys motion through still pictures so well.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

Anime isn't poo poo because the animation is bad. Anime is poo poo because of weird horny tropes, shy/antisocial weirdo main characters who are clearly self-inserts for a maladjusted audience, and an insistence on both reducing every character to a single personality trait, and having every character narrate every emotion they experience instead of just showing us.

So you know, the opposite of good writing and storytelling. Visual spectacle is cool and good, but it also needs to be watchable.

You're really just proving our point. To pretend American media isn't just as full of weird tropes that you're just used to because you grew up with them is disingenuous at best. Most good anime isn't weird high school slice of life perv poo poo either. It's ok to say 'I can't relate to this cultural expression because it's different from what I'm used to.' Saying 'it's poo poo hurf durf weird perverts' just makes you look ignorant and closed-minded.

Pattern and his NO MATING! poo poo is practically ripped from a shonen

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

No amount of anime gifs will ever make me think, "Hey you know what actually this fundamental style is actually cool".

Giant caricatured eyeballs look stupid to me. That cliche giant sweatdrop is looks dumb to me. That goofy face when the one dude grabs the other dude at 11 second mark in your other link looks dumb to me. The sparkle-sparkle glass shatters and fades looks bad to me.

You can post "Sanderson is anime" a million times, but I'm still going to picture Kaladin flying through the sky fighting Szeth in my head along the lines of Neo vs Agent Smith every single time I read SA and not Goku VS whoever Goku's enemy is.

Some people just don't have an appreciation for certain things, and its anime fans insistence to the contrary that makes people like me and infinite karma dig our heels in all the harder.

Some people don't like metal, I'm not going to link them a hundred different songs going "BUT WAIT HOW ABOUT THIS?" It's OK for people to not like things.

Can you not see the difference between 'I can't appreciate the cultural tropes and plot lines of certain animes' because they aren't what I'm used to and 'ANIME IS poo poo!!!!!11'?

Stuff like Castlevania skipped pretty much all of the 'obnoxious anime tropes' too, and is widely praised for story and animation.

Taffer posted:

This whole discussion is moot because Sanderson has made it really clear that he doesn't want his works to turn into an animated series, because it pigeonholes the audience.

I guess that's why he said

Brandon Sanderson in late 2019 posted:

A lot of people ask if I will make animated Mistborn or Stormlight. That's on the table. It will depend on where some of these animation projects like the Castlevania adaptation and things like that, if this continues to be a good, viable method of storytelling. So, it's certainly not off the table, but neither are live action television shows.

He's also a huge weeb and lived in Korea for a while, and is pretty big into the culture. I'd be a lot more surprised if we never saw animated Cosmere stuff.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 20, 2021

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lucas Archer posted:

And a Stormlight thought just to get it back to the books...(RoW spoilers) They mention when Ba-ado-mishram was gemmed, not only were the singers ripped apart, but it affected EVERYONE on Roshar. Everything belonging to Roshar. And if I recall correctly, the humans at the time of Recreance were considered of Roshar.

Maybe the thing the humans lost was their ability to hear the tones of Roshar. The only group of people who avoided the whole False Desolation bullshit were the Listeners, and they could still hear the tones. I wonder if Ba-ado-mishram is found and released, every human in the world will suddenly start hearing music out of nowhere...?

Humans could never hear the tones, they aren't native to Roshar.

BAM messing up all of Roshar IMO leads credence to the theory that the unmade were once powerful spren of Roshar 'unmade' like how the fused were 'unmaking' the sibling. They served a function of sorts we aren't aware of yet, but will find out about in the next book I assume because Shallan has her book of 'all the poo poo' from Shadesmar

Taffer posted:

When's that from? One of his WoR release streams he said he wasn't interested in it, I'll try to find the link again.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395-icon-2019/#e13281

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

so the question is what did they gently caress up with capturing the Thrill

They know how to locate where they stored it, right? Book 5 hopefully will involve both releasing and 'remaking' the unmade to help restore balance to Roshar after they find out how badly BAM messed things up. I also have a theory that she was (originally) an important part of bonds and how they function, so her getting 'cut off' had a lot of really nasty side-effects for anyone Connected to her. Either that or she was the equivalent of the Sibling and just did the bondsmith stuff for Odium's side as a roundabout way to get powers

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leng posted:

Nah they threw it into the ocean lol so they're gonna have to try and track it down in Shadesmar somehow, assuming the Ghostbloods or Ishar's Tukari haven't already gotten to it

Sunk in the ocean doesn't necessarily mean they can't easily locate it, just means it's really hard to find if you don't know where to look. WOB also states it's more secure than we think, and he has more info about it's storage but it wasn't the right time to put it into RoW.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The setting of Era 2 is literally the entire best part of the series and IMO the cosmere so far, it's so hard to find good fantasy with actual technology progression and societal changes, it's always just 'welp we have magic, it's this forever'

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Daric posted:

Lightweavers can shoot radiation and Dustbringers can split atoms so no, I don't think an Allomancer/Feruchemist would beat a Herald.

But they can throw coins really hard :(

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

egg tats posted:

this could also be an indication that she's very old. like, older than any of the other characters old.

It seems pretty likely that her wish to the nightmother was to never grow up, so she might have existed as she was for who knows how long before she first appeared, and also that Cultivation just doesn't keep her promises, rather she uses them as pretense to force people to grow in specific ways.

Lift's slang isn't modern, it's specifically old fashioned for roshar.

looking forward to the lift flashback book when everyone talks like her

(also you should read the lift chapter because after book 5 she's getting promoted to main character)

Lift physically ages, she was 13 when the true desolation started. She's been binding for a while, and the latest book talks about how she has trouble fitting into spaces now

mewse posted:

Taravangian's boon/curse kinda became irrelevant.

We don't know this for sure, that got a RAFO when Brandon was asked

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

ELANTRIS - My thoughts.

Raoden did blackface.

This is a horrendously ignorant take on what blackface is, as you were previously advised.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

Gonna start reading Adolin dialog in my best GWB voice now :ohdear:

One could consider Fused and Unmade a type of WMD and at least one faction active on Roshar is there for a power source...

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Especially because Mistborn 2's taking place only several years before Stormlight, so during all of Wax and Wayne's adventures you have Kelsier operating somewhere and Iyatil could very well be in the book, assuming they weren't already in Bands of Mourning and I forgot any mention/hints of it. The odds Wax and/or Wayne don't get pulled into the larger Cosmere activity seems unlikely and the end of that book is probably going to have a direct tie in to who Harmony's agent is and what their role is in the Stormlight books.

Mistborn Era 2 is between the SLA eras (or at least after era 1)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Oasx posted:

Secret Project #3 will be coming out tonight!

I think this may be the one I'm most excited about after reading all the sample chapters, though I've really enjoyed the first two so far as well.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah pretty excited to get two new Cosmere planets

Louisgod posted:

Oh wow, I got the shipping notification for SP3 a bit ago, cool to see it ship so soon.

Mine just shipped out too, glad they are finally 'caught up' on the hardcovers. Definitely glad I went for the set, they are gorgeous.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

Wow, rude.

Where do I get preview chapters for SP3?

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/first-look-at-secret-project-3/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Re: MB era 1:

Sazed never talked to Tindwyl, she died way before he Ascended.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Louisgod posted:

Lightsong owns, I need to reread Warbreaker once Nightblood is scheduled to come out and hopefully I'll make it through the 40 other books I have queued up before then.

I hope the post SL5 break gives us Nightblood and Elantris 2, feels like there are some more things that we need explained sooner rather than later.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ojjeorago posted:

General Cosmere spoilers., don't hover if not caught up:It's two names, but the chances of Thaidakar being Adonalsium were pretty low.

Using the powers of creation to destroy God is a little different from kicking someone's rear end

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Warbreaker and Elantris sequels are both long overdue, feels like he will probably write them between Mistborn era three books since that's his next project while stormlight is on a small hiatus

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The lost metal took about 11 months for writing editing beta reading, etc. Late 2022 his loose plan was ~5 years to write era 3 and Elantris 2 and 3, but that could change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Half of Dracula posted:

I on the other hand love twok and would have read another three books solely of Kaladin barely living day to day smuggling herbs and poo poo around and half threatening people. it's very street level.

Agreed, Kaladin's depression is so real and grounding for the series