Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
This series sounds pretty cool, and the opening 1-3 chapters were interesting enough for me to pick up the first book (the scene with the assassin absorbing the stormlight orbs and using 'lashings' to change gravity orientations as a weapon/tool was pretty awesome). I'm really curious as to how an author plans out a 10 book, 8kpage+ series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
A friend of mine who likes a lot of the same books just finished and said he had mixed feelings. The action and word building was good, but he said it read sort of like a humorless Malazan Book of the Fallen. I love me an epic fantasy series but is it really that devoid of light hearted scenes? One of the best things about Malazan is that while some of the humor was a little on the corny 'he talks funny' side, it was amusing and timely enough to break up otherwise heavy storylines. Is that not the case here and if so, how do you see that impacting the series? Even Joel Ambercrombies First Law series, some of the darkest fantasy I've read, had the odd humorous exchange written in. I don't think I can do 8k pages devoid of comic relief.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

IRQ posted:

He doesn't world build, it's just europe.

And while I liked his stuff it's waaaaaaay over rated and over hyped.

Not to turn it into a Sanderson vs Abercrombie derail, but you could turn that around and say that Sanderson doesn't write multidimensional characters, he just world builds (the opposite of Abercrombie, who barely world builds but has amazing characters). Interestingly enough, each of those authors abilities would combine to make one kick rear end author/book - it would be like a George RR Martin who actually releases books in a timely manner! :D

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Narmi posted:

It hasn't really been explained yet, but there is a witch called the Nightwatcher who has the ability to grant wishes using the Old Magic. Dalinar visited the Nightwatcher, and in exchange for something (maybe battle prowess? his abilities seem to border on the superhuman, even when you take his shardplate into consideration.) everything about his wife is kept from him - all memories he has of her have been removed (or she's been removed from them) and whenever someone talks about her he can't hear anything, not even her name.
Actually, that would kind of make sense. I could see Dalinar wishing for the strength to avenge his brother, only to have that strength be twisted into an endless war that he must always fight.

mossyfisk posted:

There's nothing in the book that shows either way of his wife being the curse or boon. But then Brandon just told everyone which it was.

That is seriously my biggest problem with BS; he did it constantly with TWoT as well. It's really bad form to tell people anything significant outside of books because then you end up killing the guessing game, and potentially thinking your other readers know more than they really do.
I can confirm that I dislike this as well and think it was a bad idea. It would have been so much more interesting to have it be ambiguous.