Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

treeboy posted:

I would recommend Warbreaker as well, people tend to feel it's one of his weaker stories but I thoroughly enjoyed it

And it's been free on his site for a long time. Check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm re-reading Way of Kings, and I'm paying a lot more attention to the chapter headers this time around.

Is the second batch of headers--that is, not the set of peoples' dying words--Hoid, talking to <someone> about whatever it is he's doing in regards to the Shards?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Well its not like he hasn't earned a break.

He's put out a ton of books in the last six years, so I'd say he has. If only because he tends to write other, new projects, on his breaks. I could use another Alloy of Law written during his vacation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

A lot of what came out so fast was written before he started really getting published. He's said a few times that the pace will slow down as that stuff is all out now.

Yes, I know.

I'm referring to the fact that the last time he 'took a break' he wrote The Alloy of Law.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I just started Elantris the other day. Man, it's incredible how much better Sanderson's writing has gotten since his debut. I haven't read Mistborn or Way of Kings since this spring, but I could still tell the difference is night and day.

This is true overall, but I liked Elantris more than Warbreaker.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pakman posted:

Man, I love my new Kindle. I'm going to buy all the brandon sanderson books I haven't read yet from the kindle store. This guy can't have enough of my money.

warbreaker is free as a PDF on Sanderson's website

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just finished Alloy of Law and I'd bet dollars to donuts that Wax's uncle was a kandra.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

But Kandra have a direct link to Sazed through their spikes, and I don't think he'd take kindly to the kind of poo poo he was doing.

According to the index, not all serve Harmony.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Popular Human posted:

Just finished Alloy of Law. It was an awesome little bite-sized Mistborn novel, left me wanting a new trilogy in this setting. Did anybody else get the impression that the crazy guy in the prologue was burning atium?

Yes, I did.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Decius posted:

Also surprising for me: That Shallan owns a shardblade. And killed her father.

I caught that one ahead of time.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

veekie posted:

Her role would probably be to deliver the shardblade to the people over at the warcamps who happen to be short one.

That's a bit too obvious. I'm betting that, since she's attached to the foremost researcher in the world, she'll discover how they're somehow far more than they seem.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BananaNutkins posted:

Or there will be a conflict between Jasnah and Shallan because Jasnah wants to unlock the secrets of the Monado. Sorry, wrong seriesthe shardblades and give them en masse to her country's soldiers, and Shallan thinks it will lead to an evil empire dominating the world. Kinda like the Einstein A-bomb situation.

Well, there's already a country who came up with a way to replicate shardplate and shields, albeit imperfectly.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

yep

What was the deal with the guy in the last chapter coming back? And who/what is wit?? Can someone explain what is known about those two in spoilers. I guess he was a knights radiant that had been sent back by ??? and this is to say that the knights radiant are going to start reappearing? Is Wit bad or good?

The guy at the end is the last Herald. Remember in the prologue when the Heralds gave up their duty, but one had died in the fight, and such was stuck wherever it was the Heralds wait for the next Desolation? That Herald is the at the end.

Wit is Hoid, a character who's appeared in every Sanderson thus far. He's able to traverse the Shadesmar (that weird place Shallan went with the symbolheads) to get from one world to another. He has some further agenda, as yet unknown.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 13, 2011

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Algid posted:

No, he was the last herald, presumably once a regular human, but now regularly reconstituted from some sort of hell like limbo where they're held in reserve to fight in each desolation. They seem to be linked to the almighty.

The knights are the 10 orders each founded by one of the heralds, which survived long past the point where the other 9 heralds gave up. Then the knights also disbanded for some reason.

edit: I guess I'll spoiler the second part, but the first is literally all from the prologue, which is like 3 pages long (and free).

You're right. I had the wrong title for the guy!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It reads more like you have a deep-seated hatred of authority in general and police in specific, and are projecting those feelings onto the novel.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

I honestly didn't pick up on that because it made so much sense in context. Sanderson!

I didn't pick it up until my second read, and only then because I was talking about allomancy with my buddy.

"Hey man, they came up with a way to stop rioters and soothers! They just wear these hats lined with...foil. Oh my god, they wear tinfoil hats!"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

redreader posted:

I am reading mistborn right now. Does the lord ruler story remind anyone else of Jecht's journey in ffx?

Its ultimate conclusion is somewhat similar.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

computer parts posted:

I just finished the first Mistborn novel and while I probably don't have anything to worry, I heard the next two aren't quite as good, but I feel like blind buying them at B&N tomorrow, so do they get a goon recommendation?

They're just different. I love the entire series. But if I had to be 100% honest, here's how I'd explain each book's faults:

Book 1 is basically Ocean's Eleven with allomancy. Its biggest failing is being overly expository at times.

Book 2's biggest failing is the dreadfully slow second act.

Book 3's biggest failing is that (a certain popular character)spends most of the book whining and crying.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah, it's standalone, but he threw in some obvious sequel hooks at the end.

Who knows, he might get bored on a 30-minute plane ride and write the sequel.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Calexio posted:

How does Warbreaker stand up against Sanderson's other books? Just finished Elantris and to be honest it was a struggle. I just didn't really care about any of the characters apart from the gyorn. I actually put the book down for like a week because I hated whenever Sarene's twin cousins showed up. Luckily they didn't appear again after that part in the book. :haw: Everything else Sanderson's written has been great though!

Soo I'm wondering if Warbreaker is more Mistborn quality or Elantris quality?

Between the two.

It's free on his website though .

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

arioch posted:

That scene in the plastic prison of Magneto breaking out with just iron from a man's blood is pretty much what Kelsier would be like.

On a bad day.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kwyndig posted:

I agree that book two was the weakest of the three, go get book three now, and then read Allow of Law afterwards.

This is the right thing to do.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eggsovereasy posted:

Is Allow of Law good? I don't really care for the whole steampunk thing, but I might try it anyway.

Alloy of Law is probably the best Mistborn book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Casao posted:

Just started reading Warbreaker last night.

The more of Sanderson I read, the more I realize that he uses the same characters in almost every book. Which only makes Way of Kings more impressive, cause despite being similar, they're deep enough that I don't immediately go "Oh look, it's Elend." In fact, aside from the "Prince-type character who bucks tradition in order to do the right thing", it's really a stretch to find any of his usual characters.

I enjoy everything of his I've read. Just kinda samey (in the same way that Eddings was, and he's still one of my favorites).

Yeah, it's pretty easy to spot his tropes. His favorite is the anti-princess; a stubborn, willful noblewoman who's witty and charming and bucks tradition.

There's not just one, but two of those in Way of Kings.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eh! Frank posted:

Has Sanderson's Moiraine vs Kelsier write-up been posted here yet?
http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-4-moiraine-damodred-versus-kelsier.html
It's pretty funny, but filled with spoilers for both Mistborn and Wheel of Time up through Towers of Midnight.

Ahaha that owns.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How the hell did I never catch that the Lord Ruler spiked Kelsier like that?

That is A Thing with capital letters.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wolpertinger posted:

I sort of zoomed through Night Angel pretty fast without really digesting it, but I finished it with a positive impression even if it was just a shallow but entertaining action trilogy - I'm surprised to see such vitriol.

As BananaNutkins says above, the Night Angel books are both very derivative and very juvenile. The whole thing reads like a repressed 14-year-old boy's action fantasy.

The kid (a loser) has amazing potential (like every loser's mommy says) but his potential is blocked! (oh noes) But then he meets this super cool assassin man (father figure) who takes him in! Father guy teaches loser kid to be a badass ninja (gently caress yeah!). Then he gets the magic Whatsit that unlocks his hidden potential! WOOOOO!

Now a badass ninja, loser kid finds out that the girl he had spent his whole young life protecting is now a major hottie (gently caress yeah!). But she's so sweet and virginal (count how often she's wearing white. I dare you.) and her situation is complicated. So he starts passive-aggressively pursuing her (because badass assassin ninja boys can't just, you know, ask her out for date). And then, oh noes, it's a love triangle, because the SUPER HOT SLUTTY ASSASSIN NINJA CHICK (with SEX MAGIC) has the hots for our ninja hero!

More stupid drama happens and suddenly the world rests on our conflicted ninja hero's shoulders. At this point we take a break from the first interesting thing to happen to our hero and, instead, focus on a side character.

There's some interesting things happening with this conflicted side character (a prophet, no less) that turns him into an evil god-king who (as mentioned before) rapes the gently caress out of some 13 year old girl, in front of her father and sister, just to prove a point! But in the end it means jack poo poo because this guy throws off his evilness all on his own without our ninja hero doing a drat thing. Which is weird! That whole side plot was pointless as gently caress. But whatever.

Back to our ninja hero. He--

gently caress it. I'm done. Those books are terrible. The author writes a pretty good action scene but the rest is garbage.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Monolith. posted:

Not to distract from the Mistborn discussion but Way of Kings is 900+ pages? Holy moly. Should I read Elantis before that or after?

Elantris is pretty short and fast to read. I'd go with it first.

It's also Sanderson's first novel and it shows. Way of Kings is better written, by a long shot.

However, Elantris is fun. All the talk about how it was Sanderson's first novel scared me off for a long time. Don't let it scare you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fearian posted:

I'm only going to dip into this thread briefly - I'm about two thirds through well of ascension and I'm terrified of spoilers. I think I glanced one big spoil as I checked the thread so forgive me if this has been discussed:

I'm loving the series, but I'm hating Vin. It's not that I don't like her or sympathise her, but I feel like she's been written very flatly in the second book. In Book one we watched her get pulled out of the Ska life and slowly begin to change her view of the world, get more powerful and see a bit of her conflicting emotions regarding this change of view.

In Well, Sanderson seems to focus entirely on Vin's inner thoughts regarding her position in the world and among her friends in ways that reflect her lack of a guide and mentor. That's fine even if I feel it's dragged out and over analysed to the point of in your face obviousness. The problem I have is everything else that is rubbed in the readers face in regards to vin, that she herself fails to notice or act on, and how she and some others seem to ignore hugely obvious problems.

Here's some examples:
-Straight up, the nearly obvious similarities between vin and the log book author, which she thinks about every night, but takes an age to figure out and does nothing in regards to. Even when making the link, she uhm's and ah's over what to do about it. Understandable except:
-Vin's biggest fear is loosing trust in her friends, yet she tells no-one about the mist, the mist ghost, the drumming feeling, Zane, her history with Zane even when Elend meets Zane in the camp, OreSeur, her progress with the spy, EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO HER IN THE ENTIRE BOOK SO FAR. This is doing my loving head in. These Massive. Big. Important. things, many of them related to the CURRENT WAR and she tells no-one. The king is her lover and she doesn't even mention any of it. Even when she finally gets around to exchanging notes with Sazed, she leaves out half the story! Argh.

Whew. Ok, I did not realise how much I needed to vent about that. I know getting annoyed that characters don't do what you want them to do is like the lowest form of plot criticism, but even though much of these can be individually explained, it's mostly weak and I'm finding the same problem in another area as well.

Luthadell is at war. the amount of poo poo that Elend and the crew let slide is obscene. Number one is clearly the strong evidence that an extremely high ranking member of the city's innermost decision makers has been murdered and replaced by a spy. This prompts no action from anyone until Vin regretfully and occasionally decides to test whoever happens to be with her hat the time. The spy operates among them for weeks, possibly months, and several very key plans are ruined that cost heavily, put everyone in the poo poo, and lead to deaths along the way. No-one seems to give a flying actual gently caress. Number 2 on the list being Elend allowing Tindwyl in with him, the king, alone, and then accepting right off the bat that she 'is a friend of sazed'.

Please tell me these things bothered someone else. It's the spy bit I can't reconcile really. What the gently caress Vin. :sigh:

Sanderson is bad about what we call the Sanderson Avalanche; lots and lots and lots of buildup, then everything falls downhill and just doesn't stop.

You're in the buildup phase right now.

The reveal for everything you said is entirely worth it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I blew through Elantris because Hrathen is a loving great character and it's a pretty good book besides.

Hrathen is amazing. Raoden is pretty cool. Everyone else is fairly bland. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

soru posted:

Eagerly awaiting his next book which has a magic system based on optimizing the order of how passengers board planes.

"And lo, so it came to pass on a dark and stormy night that the Souwesterians rose up against the common man of the United Delta. A cry went up, repeated endlessly, echoing through the wreckage of a once-great nation, and that cry was this:

"gently caress it. Sit where you want."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

His humor is terrible, but I like it because I find terrible puns to be completely hilarious.

I agree. I actually laughed at Shallan in WoK several times.

And Lightsong from Warbreaker, too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This Post Sucks posted:

The worst thing about Lightsong was that I listened to it on Audiobook and man was the voice actor horrible. Lightsong sounded like Keanu Reeves from Point Break (well, every movie, but still).

That would suck. Whoa.

Whoever posted that Lightsong's humor was "dad humor" a few pages back was right. You either love that poo poo or you hate it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Black Griffon posted:

Neato! I've already bought Elantris, that's why I'm asking. I'm gonna be able to read it in good conscience now, though. And since I have a six hour bus trip ahead of me, I'm gonna need that.

Elantris is a little slow to get started, but once the ball starts rolling it doesn't stop.

This is true for most of Sanderson's books but it's especially true for Elantris.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

platero posted:

Him livestreaming the writing process is going to look like a hacking scene in any cheesy tv show or movie, only it is real life.

Or is this fantasy?

(Yes. Yes it is.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When the Sanderson Avalanche part hits, will you be caught in a landslide of escape from reality?

:v:

I really can't wait for Stormlight 2, the first was way more than I expected for a 10 book series.

I'm so happy someone got that. I bet you liked Lightsong's humor too, didn't you. :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mulozon Empuri posted:

I can't but agree with this. It was a great read I though and well worth the $3. Support this guy so I can get a sequel!

I bought it as soon as I saw the reviews. I haven't got to start it yet, though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Just chiming in to say I've finished the Mistborn trilogy too, and thought the ending of the third book made up for any shortcomings the novels had (Sazed spent far too much of the last book moping around and in the second Zane was too cliched even for a book made entirely of cliches). I haven't read any of Sanderson's work before but it was really nice to read something like Mistborn coming off of what I typically read. Though, I read them specifically to get away from apocalyptic, post-apoc fiction, so, I guess I failed with that. I didn't know it was popular enough to warrant trying to make a movie and a video game (that's going for Demon's Souls, ffs), though. I'd read Alloy of Law but I heard it wasn't that great and I'm not a fan of steampunk anyway.

What? Alloy of Law is, quite possibly, the best of the entire series.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

He also planned on using the name "The Book of Endless Pages" for Stormlight 2. Then fans pointed out the irony for what will probably be a 1000-page tome.

He's reconsidering the title, which I consider a damned shame. Calling his monster of a book "The Book of Endless Pages" strikes me as a perfect example of Sanderson humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

I got the impression that he's supposed to be annoying and that only whatshisface finds him funny (because he annoys everyone else).

Pretty much this.

He's Lightsong 2.0.