Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
In a word, yes. Seeing Mat pre-Band is just plain bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Also, keep in mind that he's gotten better with every book, so Elantris is noticeably rougher than anything he's written after. It's still really worth reading, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I dunno what to tell you other than that (dunno why I'm even spoilering this, honestly) his story is more about the journey than the destination.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Holy poo poo. I really wish I had the cash for this.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1048/

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

bowmore posted:

What's the chance of a paperback in the future, or is this a limited thing?

From what I've seen, SubPress's novellas seem to take years to be available anywhere else, if ever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Decius posted:

A small imprint that specializes in producing high-quality limited editions of SF and Fantasy novels and short stories. I have some of their stuff, expensive but very, very pretty. Especially the artwork they do for the books is often breathtaking.

http://subterraneanpress.com/

Yeah, they do stuff like this (just got the third one a couple days ago):

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

syphon posted:

I just finished Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and absolutely loved it. I wondered why there wasn't a thread around here about it (although I vaguely remember one in the past, maybe it got archived). I recommend that.

Probably because book two (of a planned series of seven) came out five years ago and there's no sign of the next one.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm aware of Lynch's depression. I'm also aware that he's made a lot of progress with getting it under control and that he stated he would not even talk about the next book until he was quite certain it was ready (or nearly so), and his page now indicates it will be out this year.

Huh. Fair enough. He usually announces things on his Livejournal account, but I guess he either hasn't yet for this or I just missed it. I really hope this actually happens. The teaser content he released for it makes it sound like it's going to be awesome (the girl that Locke keeps moping about whose name I've forgotten by now became a mage and she's apparently going to be a prominent character).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The e-book thing is cool, but I'm not sure where he's getting the "pre-orders are now open" thing. I pre-ordered it back in January when it was first announced. :confused:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cartoon Man posted:

Take a look at what this ninth grader made for his school book report on The Way of Kings. :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QkjLqKVp5yg

This kid is cool in my book and deserves an A+ for the year.

MPAA rating screen posted:

Violence, drinking, language, blood and gore, some thematic elements, stylized action sequences, and a scene of rape

Uh, either I'm forgetting something here or he read a different book than I did.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Y'know that Mistborn video game people bring up every now and again? It's been officially announced. Apparently it's going to be for Windows, the PS3, and the 360.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

How does he DO it?! :psyduck:

Probably on a flight, but the guy's basically a machine. Put him in a box (or plane) and dump in food and Magic cards and out come books.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
This is apparently the mood trailer that's being used to shop the Mistborn script around to studios. I'm cautiously optimistic, since I think it captures the feeling of the series pretty well, but it's really going to depend on execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TOVHEnfe0

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Contra Calculus posted:

So I liked the Mistborn Trilogy and Alloy of Law. Still haven't read his WoT books because I've only read the first three (and I dread reading the ones after that based on what people have told me). So the Stormlight Archives series is pretty good though? I wasn't a huge fan of Rothfuss' writing is the only thing and the OP claims that it's comparable to that.

I just clarified that since I guess it could be a little misleading. It's not the writing that's similar, but the fact that they've both obviously put lots of time into thinking about the settings. The worldbuilding in TWoK is extensive and very well done if you like that sort of thing.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

OneTwentySix posted:

I listened to 2/3s of Elantris through audiobook on a long trip. I absolutely HATED the beginning; I was completely bored, but I'd already listened to my other books first so it was either that, or the radio. I stuck it out, but it was just so boring until 4 or 5 hours in, and then it started getting interesting. Part of the problem was the audiobook's quality; they basically did it like a narrated movie with sound effects and voice actors, rather than directly just reading the book, and I found that extremely annoying, but barely anything was going on at first.

I'd already listened to over half of the book by the time I got home, but it definitely had gotten better, and then read the rest, and liked that much more than the audiobook, too. So I don't know if it's really that boring and tedious when you read it, but regardless, it's my least favorite Sanderson book. I still liked it regardless, but those first few hours I was so completely bored.

Was it the one by these folks? They turn books into radio dramas, so if you've never listened to any before, I could see it being kind of weird.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
No, it's not just you. I'd only really consider Elantris to be rough, but he's still improved with pretty much every book he's written.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

veekie posted:

Something that occurred to me about the Preservation/Ruin setup.

Hemalurgy is fairly straightforward Ruin, as it takes power through killing the donor.
However, it seems to me that Feruchemy and Allomancy could be reversed. Allomancy obtains great power by consuming an external source(burning metal to release power), while Feruchemy is entirely to do with storing/preserving power for later.

I can't remember where I read this, but the reason they were divided like that is because there's some loss involved in a transfer via Hemalurgy, whereas Allomancy is apparently more of a straight conversion.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

calandryll posted:

Though 6 to 8 months for Stormlight 2, hell yeah!

Well, that's just the writing. It's still going to take some time for editing and publication. So, we're probably looking at around a year or so.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

underscoremx posted:

I'm fairly sure the exclusive leather bound version is only available through subterranean press, and the amazon version will be a regular cloth bound hardcover.

Yeah, and it's just the limited edition (which is sold out).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

Well, The Emperor's Soul arrived in the mail today. I'm about a third of the way through and enjoying it so far, though not much has "happened."

Did you order yours from Amazon or somewhere else? I'm kind of annoyed that my copy hasn't even shipped yet since it means I won't have time to pick it up from my apartment's leasing office until next weekend. :sigh:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
He's big on "show, don't tell", but he still hasn't quite gotten how to do tutorial battles down without making them seem like it. He'll probably do a better job of it in future books, though, if his track record is anything to go by.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

spootime posted:

Good. I love Sanderson but I do think he over explains his magic systems. It takes the mystique away and makes it into just another tool

I'm pretty sure that's the point and exactly how he sees them. He's very much a stickler for rules in his books to the point where I expect he sees his magic systems as just more natural laws of the various worlds he writes in.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

thecallahan posted:

Do we have any idea if Subterranean Press will be doing Way of Kings releases? I'd really love to get in the ground floor of the series as I'm wishing I knew of the place when Abercrombie's stuff was first coming out (mainly because I really dig the trilogy covers)

No idea, but if you sign up for their newsletters, they'd say in there if it ever happens.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Tunicate posted:

Well duh. Everyone knows that if it's in the future it isn't 'magic', it's 'psionics'.

Or "nanotech". Really, most sci-fi is just fantasy with different window dressing.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
He hits up Seattle on pretty much every tour (as do most authors I follow), so if I don't see him this time around, I'll go the next time he's in town.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Tunicate posted:

Ah, he's hitting Seattle exactly a week from now. Would it be too much to ask for you to record it, or at least write down any questions you ask him?

EDIT: I just spammed half the thread in PMs. I hope this is acceptable - I heard apparently they look down on people begging publicly or something.

I have no idea how well my new phone would record something like that, but I can give it a go if I'm there. If that turns out crappy or something, then at the very least, I can take notes about what gets asked. And thanks for the PM. I'll have to read through that stuff after I'm done with the new Scott Lynch book (which just came out).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cicero posted:

How do these usually work? They do questions, then signing at the end?

Basically. There's usually a Q&A, often a reading or two from something (sometimes something released, sometimes something unreleased), maybe a couple of personal stories, and then a signing at the end.

And God help you if you're towards the end of the line. I went to one a couple years ago that started at 7PM and ended up being something like the 5th to last person in line. I got out of there around 2AM.

I still need to think of some good questions, though. Is there anything anybody would be interested in?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Blerg. I ended up staying a lot later at work than I intended, so by the time I got out of there, I wouldn't have been able to get to Sanderson's signing before 6:30 or so. Last time I showed up that late, I didn't get out until after midnight, so I'm gonna have to catch him the next time he's in town. :(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mallamp posted:

It's pretty sick scene don't you think? Actually sickest of all scenes he has written (I've read all his books) and then the fact that it was in YA book.

You've read Mistborn, right? Executing hundreds of people to set an example (adults and children; whoever they were able to grab, really) when they did nothing to deserve it and catching their blood in fountains which start spraying it around tops that pretty easily.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Democratic Pirate posted:

According to my kindle I'm about 35% of my way through Lies of Locke Lamore and I'm enjoying it. More violent and cursing than Sanderson's stuff yes, but nothing too bad so far.

You've got a ways to go. It definitely gets more intense. Some of the descriptions later on were . . . vivid.

Spoiler for later in the book: Sage Kindness, for example. Massaging broken glass into somebody's face isn't a mental image I'll likely forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Arg. So tempting, but I'm really trying to wait until the actual book is out. :(