Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sharing a forum with cspam is so tedious at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Torrannor posted:

This makes me worried a bit, although admittedly it's a pretty small worry compared to the big thing going on right now. How could his career go differently? There were a lot of collaborations in his non-Cosmere works, will he concentrate on Stormlight and be the big outline guy while others write Mistborn/Warbreaker 2/etc.? :ohdear:

Could be something like "I'm burnt out, I'm taking a year off from writing to do other stuff"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If I had to place the two series into "traditional high fantasy" and "something more grim and modern" I'd say Mistborn is the former and Stormlight is the latter, although neither of them are GRRM levels of grim or even Joe Abercrombie levels of grim

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think I've ever heard the name Joe Abercrombie, although I vaguely think I've heard of "The First Law" before...

Would you recommend it? Wiki makes it sound kinda interesting.

I really like his stuff, he's got very interesting characters but his books can also get very brutal and violent. If descriptions of gory battles are a huge turn off I'd skip them, but otherwise I recommend them.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm reading Elantris right now as I finish up the existing Cosmere stuff before the secret projects are released. Man, the first couple chapters are way darker than I expected from Sanderson

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Skuzal posted:

My understanding is that the editing on Wax and Wayne 4 took a bit longer due to him writing a bunch more on it, but he still thinks he can hit his original timeline especially due to not having any conventions to go to. My guess is that Secret Book 4 would come out a month or two before Stormlight 5.

He'll be fine as long as he doesn't accidentally write a bunch of secret books along the way

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Wait do I need to back the kickstarter to get the books or are they available later

If I recall correctly he's said they will be available in some form, maybe not the sweet hardcover form from the kickstarter

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tunicate posted:

IIRC the only one that's permanently out of print is the Infinity Blade novelization hardcovers

if you have one of those there are sanderson collectors who will pay top dollar for them

There aren't any plans for them to print any more copies of The Way of Kings Prime, but they do have it as free e-book

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cicero posted:

Some of Brando Sando's traits are exaggerated because he's popular imo. Like he's known for "optimistic" fantasy, but the first several hundred pages of The Way of Kings is still the protagonist getting repeatedly shat on, and he has other works that are certainly grimmer than that one.

The first few chapters of Elantris are really dark too

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Theli posted:

What's the consensus on the Skyward series? Haven't really followed Sanderson's side projects in a while but catching a flight tomorrow and need something to read.

I love Mistborn and Stormlight, but wasn't a huge fan of the Reckoners, read too much like YA fiction.

I haven't read it but Skyward is explicitly YA fiction

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sab669 posted:

It doesn't have an official release date, but his current target is Q4 2023 - Q1 2024, and if you're not familiar with Brandon's productivity habits, well, I think it's really safe to assume he's going to hit his target. So if you read all 4, you won't be waiting ~that long~ for #5

You never know, he might start feeling burned out again and write 4 more side project books and delay Stormlight 5 by a month :v:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

B-Money gets what he wants

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hopefully Sanderson doesn't go with Netflix or we'll only get 2 seasons of whatever they make

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It absolutely gets better

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You can also just not read any of the extra stuff and be fine tbh, I've never read Warbreaker or Dawnshard and while I'm sure there are some things I missed I never really felt like I was missing something important while reading Rhythm of War.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Louisgod posted:

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's Very Good

I'm not saying don't read Warbreaker or that I'm against reading Warbreaker, but there's a LOT of Cosmere novels/novellas and it can be overwhelming if you look at it as 12 novels you have to get through in the right order to maximize enjoyment instead of multiple series you can just read independently as you feel like it.

I've read 11 out of 12 of them in the past 3 years and I've enjoyed all of them, even the thread's punching bag Elantris, but if someone wanted to just read the main Stormlight Archive books they would be fine understanding the primary story of Stormlight Archive.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

And can I jusr say, on the topic of Wit, I'd like to pick some peoples' brains on this. Stormlight spoilers.

Do you think Wit is a good person? Do you think there's any currency to the idea he'll be a villain or even THE villain like some people predict?

I don't pretend to be some great analyst or predicter but nothing I picked up on in my two runs through TSA made me think of Hoid as anything but an eccentric, somewhat detached. but ultimately benevolent figure. He's not as emphatic as Kaladin or as straight-laced as Dalinar but this can be chalked up to the eternities he's lived. All that being said, he never once came off as cruel or ruthless to my mind and while I am ambivalent about Shellan, her interactions with him are the most telling when it comes to his fundamental "humanity." He's supremely awkward when she rushes to hug him but he doesn't turn her away. He goes to her when every good deed she attempts blows up in her face in Oathbringer. I find these moments very sweet and indicative of his essentially good nature.

Granted, I think I saw these predictions of him being evil before RoW so maybe that's all gone out the window now. A lot went out the window with that book's ending.

I could see him becoming an antagonist by the end since he's been very upfront that his goals are not the same as the goals of our protagonists. He helps them right now because that's the best way to further his own goals, or at least doesn't contradict them, but once Odium is taken care of who knows what his ultimate goal is

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a place to get a good Wax and Wayne summary for everything up to the latest book? Spoiler’s obviously fine, I just don’t have time to reread them.

I read the coppermind summary for bands of mourning and it jogged my memory

https://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Bands_of_Mourning

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finished TLM, it was fun. White Sand is the only Cosmere thing left for me to read until the secret projects start shipping

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Torrannor posted:

APRIL?

WTF???

I figured something like February, but April? Lol, I'm not waiting that long.

That's just physical books, ebooks will be out 10 or 11 days after backers get them

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Got my first box from the Kickstarter
This one is Hoid based (only a spoiler for what the box is, not any kind of actual spoiler unless you know nothing at all about the Cosmere)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CK07 posted:

Okay yeah I'm glad I didn't spring for that, thanks for sharing pics. I'm not suggesting that nobody would or should like what's in the box, but it's definitely not for me.

In retrospect I probably would have just done the hardcovers, but I've spent $300 on dumber poo poo

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This is a really cool video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOeZAjTR-VY

No real story spoilers, but worldbuilding spoilers

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It was honestly one of my favorite Sanderson novels so far, even as someone who is very unobservant about all the wider Cosmere stuff despite reading it all.

I didn't put the Ulaam = kandra thing together until he hit me over the head with it halfway through, and I still have no clue who the Sorceress was other than that she came from somewhere else in the Cosmere and it seemed like I should have recognized it. Hoid being a superhero is the one part I feel might be off for someone not familiar with the wider Cosmere stuff

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Without getting into specifics mistborn era 1 absolutely plays into mistborn era 2, especially in the later books

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

March kickstarter box arrived, this one is cytoverse themed but I've never read those. Spoiled for contents, not story, although maybe there's a huge story spoiler in here and I don't even know it :shrug:

The spaceship model is pretty cool, shame I have no clue what it is

Still nothing I would have bought in retrospect, but I've got a young kid so at least the Go Fish deck will probably get used eventually.

Maybe one of the future boxes have something as cool as the spaceship for one of the series I've actually read

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It'll be relevant again at some point in the future and you'll go "oh that's what all that bullshit was about" and you'll go read it again

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

lmao what a dingus

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Like his writing style or not, Brandon Sanderson is famously a very nice and kind person and his response to the article is classy as hell. It's like writing a hit piece against Mr Rogers.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I do think it's a good question about why Sanderson isn't more talked about. Then again, maybe not. Maybe Rowling and HP are a unique phenomenon. Did A Song of Ice and Fire do better than Stormlight Archive? Obviously with GoT it was catapulted into the stratosphere but was Martin similarly confined to Fantasy nerd circles before that? Maybe there's nothing unusual here, Rowling is the unusual one. Even Stephen King I imagine benefited a lot from his books being made into films, same as Martin with GoT. That is what made him mainstream popular. I think. I dunno.

Even JK Rowling wouldn't have been as much of a phenomenon without the movies, but YA fiction is kind of a different beast than fantasy. GRRM was just for nerds until GoT came out, ASoIaF had only sold 12 million copies before GoT compared to more than 90 million after (As of 2018). Compared to that Sanderson had 23 million copies sold by 2018, about half from finishing WoT and half from his other books, so he is roughly equivalent to pre-GoT GRRM although his audience is somewhat smaller because the dude churns out books like nobody's business, but Martin also has a multiple decade head start.

Robert Jordan is the surprise in that he sold 90 million years before the Amazon WoT adaptation came out

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Louisgod posted:

It took me about 400 pages into book 1 to get into it but you can’t go wrong with The First Law trilogy.

I bounced off The First Law once and then just happened to give it another chance years later and read everything he's written after that. Definitely a different vibe than Sanderson, but great books

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Grundulum posted:

As for the writing, there were a few things that took me out of the book. The narrator makes several references to technology that are, to my knowledge, the first times we’ve ever seen those things mentioned in the Cosmere: the laptop line, in particular, caught me off guard. I’m not sure if that was lack of attention to points of view and limited knowledge, if the narrator does in fact know what those items are, or if I’ve missed similar references to such things in previous books.

Tress is set in the distant future in the Cosmere timeline compared to Mistborn or Stormlight, we know there is a plan for Mistborn era 3 which is modern, and era 4 which is in the future with space travel, Tress happens somewhere after era 3

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

He'll probably get bored one weekend and finish up an Elantris trilogy to keep himself busy

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Got the Mistborn year of Sanderson box, it's the first one with something I'll actually use, Mistborn book ends:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finally got my hardcover Frugal Wizard's Guide and holy moley, the ebook version didn't do justice to how much the illustrator went above and beyond. Every few pages has doodles in the margins

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

RDM posted:

There's enough existing text to fine-tune SandersonGPT

But somehow it ends up being slower at writing novels

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kaladalinar

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Only halfway through Sunlit Man, but the secret projects have been some of my favorite cosmere books. I'd love for Brandon to get more time to just write single books about weird rear end planets.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finished secret project 4 and now my most anticipated cosmere novel is whichever one tells me more about what happens with Sigzil after this one and that probably won't come out for a decade or more :smith:

I really enjoyed all 4 secret projects. I'd probably rate them 1->4->3->2 but it's really close been the cosmere ones. I enjoyed 2 but not on the same level as the others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

It feels like a vision of how bad RJ would have been if he didn’t have an aggressive editor (Harriet) reining him in.

He hasn't written anything as miserable as Crossroads of Twilight