Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just finished Secret Project 2. Wasn't sure what to think of it at first, but it won me over by the end. I will agree that the whole thing with Ryan did seem like it kind of fizzled, but John having to piece together his own catharsis kinda worked for me. Ryan was only a foil for John in John's head, with the reveal breaking the facade for John. I think if the book would have done more with the idea of self-image besides John and Serafynn being self-deprecating and John wanting her to see him as he is, I think it would have landed better. Everyone, including his shockingly lovely 'best friend', having him all wrong is an idea that was worth exploring more, I think.

Coulda done without the phrase "couldn't stand up to wight power", though. Hoo boy.

As for other fantasy, I'm partial to Will Wight's stuff. Traveler's Gate's a little shaky (still enjoyable), but I really like Cradle. Hope you light fight scenes, though. I think the last book of that is dropping this year and he just started a sci-fi series.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

rafikki posted:

Last week

I could have phrased that more clearly. The last Cradle book is June and yeah, The Captain came out last week.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I got recommended to start with Mistborn Era 1 and that was probably a good call. I didn't mind Elantris so much, though, the world is cool and Aons are a neat magic system.

I could see recommending Tress as an entry point. It's light, it introduces the variety of magics in the Cosmere and the concept of the multiverse in a way that earlier books don't. Misborn is so bogged down with three kinds of magic based on metals and I cannot and will not ever remember what does what.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 2, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Louisgod posted:

It’s tough because if you read Tress first you’ll miss so many cosmere lore references, including Hoid’s overall origin, which I suppose could have the reverse effect where if you were to read anything after Tress, you could tie it back to Tress. I’m usually torn between recommending Mistborn or Warbreaker as a first Sanderson book.

Yeah, I'd almost certainly say Mistborn, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if I heard someone pitch Tress. Introducing Hoid early and the general idea that the Cosmere can have characters or abilities show up elsewhere might make the earlier books a bit more interesting. I can imagine the whole Marsh hemalurgy thing being a pretty cool "oh, poo poo" moment if you hear about death having nails in his eyes in Tress.

I prettymuch went by the Cosmere Reading List order (careful for spoilers, there's a checkbox to suppress them). I did my Cosmere read before Rhythm of War came out, but it was close enough. I also found it helpful for a bunch of the links and cameos that I inevitably missed.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 2, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone who starts on Tress first and moves to Mistborn is going to have a very major part of Mistborn spoiled for them. Namely Sazed is mentioned by name in Tress and in a way that makes him come across as A Big Deal so anyone who reads that before Mistborn is going to immediately know something's up with them.

I'm still 99% certain that the book's (Tress) choice of name is to hide that Harmony doesn't exist by the time Tress happens while Sazed still does, but not as Harmony. This could mean a few things, including that Harmony might absorb Autonomy at some point since "Sazed" freed the Kandra and we see one with red eyes. Autonomy would also likely be something that allows Harmony to operate more freely rather than being paralyzed by their opposing forces.

Fair enough, yeah. I forgot he's mentioned so explicitly. I'm not sure it passes my bar of "unacceptable spoiler," but I'm a bit more lax with simple "a thing happened" sorts of spoilers. I want to know how things got to that point now.

Hoid also does have a tendency to refer to Vessels by their names, so I'm not sure one way or the other.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My intro was hearing how good Stormlight was from people and the internet in general, but I had kind of stopped reading fantasy in my teens. Eventually my best friend, who is a huge Sanderson nerd with hardcovers of everything, convinced me to try out Mistborn in late 2020 and then I just demolished the entire rest of the Cosmere over the next year. Still have to do the Lost Metal, but I've done everything else. Haven't done any of Reckoners (which she recommended), but I have read most of the Cytoverse.

I actually ended up getting her the hardcovers as a pledge add-on as a birthday present, since I backed the KS for the full year.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Kelsier's a real piece of work.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got my copies of Frugal Wizard's handbook. I really did miss out on all the marginalia doing it as an epub, holy poo poo. Definitely do that one as pdf if you're doing it digital, it's really drat nice.

I've been thinking and I wonder who the remaining pins are. I'm assuming books 3 and 4 are going to be major ones, so Kaladin and maybe Kelsier? The books have been Vin and Vasher, so I'm leaning primary characters. I'm also surprised at the lack of Stormlight pins so far, besides Hoid being in his Stormlight design with the flute.

I'm guessing Vivenna for the Warbreaker box, Dalinar for the Stormlight box, and I'd expect to see Jasnah and Shallan in there somewhere. Unless we get a Brandon pin for the final box or something?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The box is the book on book months. Tress had Vin, Frugal Wizard had Vasher, and Yumi has Shallan.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finally got around to putting my Mistborn bookends together.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ConfusedUs posted:

I just got my Cosmere lootbox from the Kickstarter. This one is full of stuff I will actually use! It's got a travel toiletries bag (nice and thick and good to stop your shampoo from getting everywhere) as well as a luggage tag.

I was pretty pleased with this one.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, getting one over on the most arrogant thing in the multiverse and his buddy, the second most arrogant thing in the multiverse, is a well-trod road.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My Warbreaker box just showed and it's pretty cool. Looks like I was right about the pin and my assumption about one of the items. Seemed pretty obvious we'd get a Nightblood letter opener.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm not even sure it's the nicest thing in the box, it's a good one. Up there with the Misborn bookends and the Cosmere travel bag.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Sunlit Man's book is gorgeous, I wasn't expecting the black page edges.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
17th Shard has a reading order, which includes the book links with optional spoilers. Doesn't look like it includes Sunlit Man yet.

https://17thshard.github.io/reading-order/#/

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 10, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

road potato posted:

I'm about 1/3 through The Sunlit Man, and so far so good. I'm going to echo Mordiceius's complaint about Fantasy Vocabulary. spoiler for the first bit of Sunlit, I guess Holy poo poo please tell us what the deal with Torment is. The Torment comes up frequently, and it seems like Nomad is intimately familiar with what it is, where it came from, what it means, why it doesn't allow him to do harm to others, but there doesn't seem to be a convincing reason not to have at least given us SOME information. I think there was some kind of bread crumb that happens when they break oaths? or something? but it's just so frustrating at this point.

Is this "torment" thing something that has occurred in other parts of the cosmere too that I missed from some other book? Or is Brandon just concealing it for some reason?

(Sunlit Man/Dawnshard spoilers)

I think it's just a word Nomad coined. It's the lasting effect of carrying a Dawnshard, since Hoid carried the same one and has the same restriction. Sigzil just calls it a Torment (and is the only person so do so) because he's a trained fighter and limiting him that way feels more frustrating. Hoid is more flexible in his approaches, so doesn't consider it as such. There's only 4 Dawnshards, only one has a name so far, and we've only seen three holders. Hoid, who gave one to Sigzil, and Rysn, who is carrying Change. I don't think Rysn's shard has much detail given. There's just not enough shardbearers to standardize what to call it yet.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 20, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It does get kind of silly how many capital-letter Cosmere words there are, especially in Stormlight Archive. Like, just for Lashing you have Surgebinders, specifically Windrunners (and sometimes Bondsmiths), of the Orders of the Knights Radiant, using the Surges of Adhesion and Gravitation, which are a form of Investiture granted through Nahel bonds with spren.

I don't even know if that counts as a spoiler because it's just gibberish if you don't know any of those words. It's both my favorite and least favorite part of the Cosmere.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
(Continuing full Cosmere spoiler-chat)

eke out posted:

I am really curious what the "torment" will be for Rysn. It seems likely that it's stopping you from doing things that are anathema to the power it represents -- so Sig/Hoid's probably is powerfully oriented towards preserving life such that it cuts off your ability to harm it.

What kind of spiritual consequence will one that's all about Change have? Can it somehow kick in and stop you from being too static and unchanging/affect your personality to make you less of a person that would be like that? Would the Lord Ruler not be able to hold it and Preservation, or, if he held it, would he just not be able to remain the kind of guy that spent thousands of years refusing to allow change?

I wonder if someone even could carry a Dawnshard and a Shard of Adonalsium at the same time. The former is spiritually dense enough to warp your Identity and Connection and I'm sure a full Shard is even heavier.

CapnAndy posted:

Rysn is a very good host for Change because she doesn't want things to stay the same. She's always on the lookout for the next horizon, the next trade, the next innovation to make herself more independent.

That's a good point. Makes sense that if you carry enough Connection to the Command the Dawnshard represents, you wouldn't notice it as much as Sigzil does.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 20, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Speaking of Dalinar, he has to be the pin for the Stormlight box for November, yeah? We already have Shallan and Kaladin.

I'm leaning either Kelsier or Brandon himself for the last box.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Once Kaladin even partially gets his poo poo together, he's way less grating. He's never, like, fun (his supporting cast covers that for his dour rear end), but I think he's my favorite of the viewpoint characters.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I really need to reread Stormlight. I don't remember any of this poo poo. Like, it's all familiar, but all the details are just toast. Probably because I read the entire cosmere over the pandemic one after the other.

I definitely don't remember anything from Mistborn era 2 except the fight in the warehouse and some of the cool new Allomantic powers.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Stormlight box wasn't bad, I like the satchel and the bottle opener. Not super excited about an air freshener, though. And I was way off on my pin guess, with it being Syl.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ConfusedUs posted:

Both bags (toiletries bag and satchel) that I got from the boxes are of absolutely amazing quality, given that they came in lootboxes.

Oh yeah, I took the previous one on vacation and it's super nice.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
(More all Cosmere spoilers and rambling guesses) There's also the idea that spren are reflections of reality in the Cognitive Realm, so they really really ought to exist other places. It's possible that stormlight or Preservation's influence in general just makes them more 'real.' It would definitely explain how Sigzil's armor and shardblade work.

Investiture is a weird, but I don't know that I'd expect normal metal to hold it. The important part for holding Investiture is Connection, from how I understand it. An otherwise normal iron nail should work for an allomancer the same regardless of where in the Cosmere you are. The Cognitive properties wouldn't be that different.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Apparently they did a run of secret project character pins? Annoying that wasn't really announced anywhere on the Kickstarter, I'd have probably grabbed a set. I'm sure they'll do another run, though.

That Tress teacup is super cute, too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Some good old fashioned reverse dramatic irony.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got the Sanderson box and it's a decent sendoff for the boxes! Definitely wasn't expecting two pins, one of Kelsier and one of Brandon himself. Also pretty neat they snuck a hardback unpublished short story in there. Socks are cute, and so is the notebook. Very fitting, overall.

I still think the Cosmere one was the best one, that toiletries bag is nice. The Bridge Four satchel is also quite nice.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 8, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, it's probably the book that was included with the Sanderson box.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Louisgod posted:

Well that’s why you gotta hook ‘em with Mistborn or something first and once they’re all in on the cosmere, you bully them relentlessly to finish the 20+ books.

I'm still trying to bully the person who got me into Sanderson in the first place to read Rhythm of War!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm not horny enough for leatherbounds, but another secret project box? Also a Knights Radiant pack? Sold.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I should probably start a Stormlight re-read so I can maybe remember half of the bullshit you guys are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I can see the complaint. There is a lot of options and just stuff in the new KS, though. There's two sets of a dozen options for the spren plushes and the Radiant packs alone, that's even without the project and books.