Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

The spren remind me strongly of something similar in Katherine Kerr's books, but they appear to have a different role in the world. Still though, I'm really, really liking this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

soru posted:

The only time I got annoyed with one was when it was inserted into the climactic battle scene as an intermission. About that scene: by the time we actually see Tien's death happen, it's been telegraphed so many times that it didn't feel very dramatic. I'm guessing it was intended to be the climax of the flashbacks corresponding to the climax of the present day battle on the Tower, but it had no tension for me.

Ugh, I was so annoyed with the flashbacks I just skipped that one. Hope I didn't miss anything. I don't think I did.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Karter705 posted:

I just re-read the last Szeth chapter and I am still not sure if it is implied that King Taravangian was responsible for the assassination of Gavilar. Szeth just says "You were always him, my unseen master," and when he asks why, Taravangian says that it wasn't for vengeance and some of his good friends were on the list. To me, this implies that Taravangian was always the unseen master behind the list (even though his name was on it), but it doesn't necessarily mean he was responsible for Gavilar's death, because the Parshendi were Szeth's masters before he had even an unseen master. I could see it going either way, especially since Taravangian wants to kill Dalinar to prevent him from seizing control of the Alethi.

Bah, I am rambling. I just don't think that Taravangian is working with the Parshendi, so it doesn't make sense for the Parshendi to take credit for Gavilar's assassination if Taravangian were behind it. I guess we will see in three years :(

I agree. I don't think the King was behind Gavilar's death. At the beginning the justification is put as having come from the Parshendi in order to prevent the world from speaking Alendi, or whatever the nation in questions name is.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Cartoon Man posted:

No, but he will have Kaladin. drat I can't wait until Szeth schools him on using his new powers...shits gonna be loving epic!

I don't think Szeth will have such an easy time of it. True, he has more experience, but Kaladin is coming into his own fairly quickly and his use of the power is much more instinctual.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

pakman posted:

If that Mistborn movie gets made, I hope the jumping and fighting scenes are as awesome on screen as they were in my head while I was reading the series (they won't be because hollywood never fails to disappoint).

Just have whomever did Crouching Tiger do it.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Keep in mind this is the same man who made the first Hulk movie.

I'm thinking specifically of the jumping and wirework and whatnot.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

mistaya posted:

I'm listening to the Mistborn trilogy on audiobook, about 1/4 of the way through the 3rd one. (The audiobooks are excellent by the way.)

But this world just got so depressing it's almost hard to listen to. I feel like there's no fixing things, everyone's going to die a slow miserable death. Elend just gave this "What Would Kelseer Do? Smile!" speech to the crew and it didn't even help. I really liked the first book, and the second was okay, but this one the futility of it all is really starting to make it unenjoyable to read (well, hear).

Maybe it's just the audio format, since it's so much slower. 5 hours of every character acting doomed is just :smith:

Don't ever read Cormac McCarthy then.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm sure it's just some YA novel exaggeration deal, but Megan is super annoying.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm only halfway through as yet. Beyond that first impression is it's a quick, fun read. I like super powers stories.

Edit: Ok, everything makes total sense now. Cool book.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 28, 2013

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I can't wait until Hoid and Shallan get together. Good wit and bad wit going head to head will be great.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I guess you have a point to a certain degree, but how much fun would that be? Do you really want to read fantasy version of The Road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I figured safe hand business was due to lack of toilet paper in their world.