Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I went to preorder this based on the sample chapters and Amazon recommended I also get this. I had honestly given up hope that Rothfuss would finish that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

bowmore posted:

They should at least release an ebook. Maybe I can get my girlfriend to buy it for me. :frogc00l:

Based on some of their previous stuff, it'll take anywhere from six months to a year to get the novella into ebook format. That's assuming they don't do a second printing, which is actually quite likely given how popular this will be.

As for another print edition... Perhaps when/if (when) Sanderson has written enough short stories to warrant a collection. That's how Backup by Jim Butcher managed to get reprinted.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, they do stuff like this (just got the third one a couple days ago):

My copy of the third arrived today. Unfortunately I'm out of town so I won't be able to see it until Saturday. It's nice to see another SubPress collector in the Book Barn, I thought I was the only one :v:.

quote:

So is this like a status symbol kind of thing? Do they only choose very select authors?

Yes and no, but mostly yes. They have a quarterly(?) magazine that I believe anyone can submit stuff to, and if you get published in that enough, your chances of getting them to publish a collection of your stuff, or a novella, goes up dramatically.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

thecallahan posted:

I'd love to get the Abercrombie books but only the third is in stock, not just going to buy one of the trilogy after all. I'll keep my out eye out though for any Locke Lamora or Sanderson releases.

Well you're too late for the Lynch books. But Legion is the first Sanderson offering by SubPress.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kreeblah posted:

Probably because book two (of a planned series of seven) came out five years ago and there's no sign of the next one.

The next one should be out this year.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Velius posted:

The author is having serious personal issues. It's been 'coming out this year' for like 3 years. It's unfortunate, but given what's going on I wouldn't recommend them if you want a completed story. Also the first book is significantly better than the second, or at least dramatically different in setting/tone.

I'm aware of Lynch's depression. I'm also aware that he's made a lot of progress with getting it under control and that he stated he would not even talk about the next book until he was quite certain it was ready (or nearly so), and his page now indicates it will be out this year.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Cartoon Man posted:

It would be a shame to refuse to read any his books just because of his religion.

I don't think that's what ImpAtom and others were saying. The easiest comparison to make is between Sanderson and Orson Scott Card, since both are Mormon. Sanderson at least tries to reconcile his beliefs with reality. Card uses his beliefs as an excuse to hate gay people. As a result, I'll give Sanderson the benefit of the doubt and still buy and read his books, while I refuse to read or purchase anything written by Card, and I absolutely will not recommend him to anyone (in fact I actively discourage people from reading his books).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

404GoonNotFound posted:

I actively regret buying Shadow Complex after learning that Card wrote the story and what Empire was about :eng99:

I have a small stack of Ender books that are just gathering dust. I won't trade them in to a used book store, I won't give them away or throw them away, and I can't bring myself to burn any book, now matter how terrible it or the author may be. My wife sometimes fussed about them (my bookshelves are already overflowing), but it's the principle, drat it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Anyone going to Dragon*Con? Sanderson is doing the official launch of Legion there, though he won't be numbering copies since there's already a numbered edition.

He's also going to be reading a new excerpt from A Memory of Light if that's more your thing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sanderson is a subtle troll; he's been walking around Dragon*Con with a copy of AMOL.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Though it nearly killed me, I got Brandon to sign all the books I brought to Dragon*Con. I was also pleasantly surprised to find Dan Dos Santos, the artist that did Warbreaker's cover, down in the artist area, so I got his signature, too. And I managed to get one of the last few copies of the Infinity Blade novella Brandon had printed up for cons this year.

And because it gets brought up somewhat frequently either here or in the Butcher thread, Brandon said he barely knows Jim, having only meet him briefly three times, so don't hold your breath for a collaboration any time soon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This Post Sucks posted:

Legion was very good. I'd love to see a full sized novel continued from it.

I was just coming to post this. I really hope he does a followup.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Just finished the first chapter of Stormlight 2. (Sequel to The Way of Kings.) Putting up the % bar on my website.

Just thought I'd share.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Xenix posted:

The two one star reviews for Legion on Amazon are hilarious. Do people seriously not do any research and just throw their money at things they know nothing about?

I really can't stand people that give books one-star ratings based on the price. I know it ultimately doesn't do anything because Amazon is terrible, but I always hit the report button when I see them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Louisgod posted:

I’ve been holding out on reading Tress so I can read it as the lord intended but it’s getting more tempting to fire up my Kindle (I vastly prefer physical books)

In less than a month you can just walk into a bookstore and buy a physical copy if you want.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Louisgod posted:

Sure but why when I have one on the way from the Kickstarter?

So you can read a physical copy sooner than May or June?

I was just pointing out itsxan option.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MagusofStars posted:

My understanding is that it's something like this:

1.) Kickstarter backers getting the physical books first *was* the original intent, in February and March.
2.) The contracts with brick and mortar stores have set target delivery dates that can't be moved.
3.) The timelines were set up so that all the Kickstarters would be fulfilled first, then production would continue with the brick and mortar version.
4.) Some unexpected delays hit the production process, so they books slower than planned, which screwed the entire timetable and they weren't able to complete the Kickstarter orders as early as planned.
5.) *scrambling* Can we get enough books soon enough to still get everything out to the Kickstarters without breaking our store contracts? If not, we might have to delay some people's Kickstarted books because we cannot break our store contracts.

I think Tor is helping print the standard edition, so they have more resources to get them out quicker.

Edit: Not even helping, they're just the publisher of the trade edition. That makes more sense, I'm sure they tossed a giant pile of money at Brandon to publish them ASAP and he just hosed up by not making absolutely, 100% sure that backers would get his fancy edition first. Greed got the best of him this time.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 17, 2023

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Brandon could have very easily said 2024 for the trade editions of these books - what's Tor going to do, say no? But he didn't, and there's a reason for that, and my personal opinion is that said reason involved a lot of zeroes.

Which, you know, good for him. Maybe his underground Lair needs a new wing. But it's still a black mark on an otherwise pretty stellar career as a publisher (which is likely why it rankles so much).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Torrannor posted:

I think there's honestly no way he could have decided to have Tor's books come out a year later. Was he supposed to release the official ebook a year later also? He would lose so much money to piracy.

He wasn't under contract with Tor for these books when they were written, so he could have specified any release date he wanted when they did go under contract. That's...what you do in a contract: you codify all the various terms and conditions surrounding the acquisition and subsequent release of a book.

And Tor isn't handling the ebook, Brandon is. Direct from the Amazon listing: Publisher ‏ : ‎ Dragonsteel Entertainment, LLC (January 10, 2023). Says the same thing on the AmazonUK page, albeit with the European-style date.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tunzie posted:

He does need to maintain at least a cordial relationship with Tor, as his standard publisher, and saying 'you cant have a guaranteed bestseller from me until there's been a year+ of people getting antsy acquiring it through other means' would not help with that. It's not as simple as 'he can tell Tor whenever, they aren't gonna say no'.

Sure, it's not like there's precedent of him telling Tor they couldn't have something particularly lucrative, like, I dunno, the ebook rights...

me, ten minutes ago posted:

And Tor isn't handling the ebook, Brandon is. Direct from the Amazon listing: Publisher ‏ : ‎ Dragonsteel Entertainment, LLC (January 10, 2023). Says the same thing on the AmazonUK page, albeit with the European-style date.

Very likely the worst that would have come out of Brandon pushing for a longer gap between the KS release and the trade release is a slightly smaller advance, which simply meant he would have defrayed some earnings by (roughly) the same amount of time because, as you said, it's guaranteed to be a best seller. A smaller advance just means he earns out that much faster.

"KS release + 3 months" would likely have been fine...in 2019, but we don't live in those halcyon days anymore. There are any number of ways Brandon could have structured a contract to be certain his backers got their books first, he just chose the absolute laziest and most short-sighted way, either because the offer was too good or he didn't have the wherewithal to think that maybe in a time of unprecedented supply chain issues, his fancy books might run into supply chain issues. And since there's a big ol' paragraph on the campaign page that says he and his team recognize there might be supply chain issues...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mordiceius posted:

Dude. It's really not the big deal you're making it out to be.

He was planning on it being 25k books. It ended up being over 5x that. Physical production can not just easily and instantly scale up to that.

There is no greedy plot going on.

I mean... I don't disagree for the most part? It's not like I'm tossing all my Sanderson books in the trash over this. But it wasn't me that made it a selling point of the KS campaign that backers would have their books before the trade editions were published, it was Sanderson. He also had complete control over when and how he sold the books to his usual publishers.

To be clear, I think Brandon and Team Dragonsteel are great publishers. I also think there are some unforced errors around the release of Tress, and ardent fans repeatedly going "lol supply chain issues" isn't a compelling argument to the contrary when it's not the delay itself that I take issue with. Delays, in general, don't faze me. A publisher pushing exclusivity that doesn't materialize, however, does bother me.

Ideally they'll have everything sorted out for the second book; we'll see soon enough.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For a forum dedicated to books, some of you guys don't read the words in front of you. Leng seems to be the one actually engaging with my argument, which I appreciate. They've raised some good points that I'll digest.

On the flip side, I've posted at multiple times that the ebooks have been available for months and yet

quote:

So three months is already a pretty big waiting time, I don't think he could have justified to Tor to have like half a year, or even 12 month later official release. That's for the ebook alone...

Tress has been available in ebook format, in Germany, since January 10th.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

socialsecurity posted:

We are reading your words we just disagree.

Fair enough. In retrospect, I've been an rear end in a top hat here, so I'm just going to bow out.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Managed to get through for a numbered copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

RC Cola posted:

Top tier is almost sold out already. I might get the tier with a single radiant pack? No idea what those are

10x Radiant Packs - One of each Order

Zinc alloy spren character pin

Zinc alloy spren coin

Zinc alloy Radiant Order charm set

Radiant Order decal sheet 

Radiant Order banner