Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I think you have to re-bind WASD to move with, but it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Trip Report: I've gotten my Enchanter/Paladin combo up to 25 and am thinking about locking and waiting for a shot at Spectral Hunter since the chest and scythe look like great items for the Paladin.

Since I leveled my Bard/Druid combo during the account drive, this new pair feels agonizingly slow in comparison. In reality the time per level is probably no worse than any modern MMO, it's just that ol' EQ grind, which is really quite terrible if you don't have the mobile 6-man chatroom of an XP group. It also doesn't help that the combo is pretty boring without the SOD bells and whistles that appear later on and make the classes unique from their EQ counterparts.

Since Lansath is blessed (and is the only 50s zone you'll ever find players in) I might just pick up the Bard/Druid again and try to power through to 65 and try to see what the landscape at cap is like.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

boho posted:

Trip Report: I've gotten my Enchanter/Paladin combo up to 25 and am thinking about locking and waiting for a shot at Spectral Hunter since the chest and scythe look like great items for the Paladin.

Since I leveled my Bard/Druid combo during the account drive, this new pair feels agonizingly slow in comparison. In reality the time per level is probably no worse than any modern MMO, it's just that ol' EQ grind, which is really quite terrible if you don't have the mobile 6-man chatroom of an XP group. It also doesn't help that the combo is pretty boring without the SOD bells and whistles that appear later on and make the classes unique from their EQ counterparts.

Since Lansath is blessed (and is the only 50s zone you'll ever find players in) I might just pick up the Bard/Druid again and try to power through to 65 and try to see what the landscape at cap is like.

Once you get to 65 the game does change quite a bit, it changes even more once you actually get gear and etc.

my only suggestion is, once you get to 65, make sure you can duo, otherwise it can be pretty rough as a fresh 65 guy, since the pop is smaller than it used to be, groups can be difficult to come by, but there are probably a bunch of goons xping all the time so maybe you can hop in with them. Sadly I haven't been around as much, outside of raids, due to time constraints and my gf getting bitchy, but I do need to xp and do some quests soon.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

boho posted:

Paladin/Enchanter is a pretty low DPS combo. That might be one of the reasons you feel like you are leveling slowly. Pretty similar to live EQ in that paladin DPS is dog poo poo and when fighting undead it is only slightly better.
SoD is basically 4 different games:
1-65
65 fresh/newish (t0 to t5ish gear)
65+ raid geared (geared to a relatively high raid level but not end game)
65++ (end game raid geared)

The game majorly changes at the points for most classes. It is actually fairly exciting once you 'cross the line' to a 'new' game.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'd considered SK/Enchanter for more dps but already had a Paladin at 25, and Paladin seemed pretty neat (and I'm enjoying it). I've got a Wizard/Necro in the 30s though and might split into Wizard/Enchanter and Paladin/Necro when I catch up.

Bard/Druid has been fun and easy to level, but will probably be a worthless duo at 65.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

boho posted:

I'd considered SK/Enchanter for more dps but already had a Paladin at 25, and Paladin seemed pretty neat (and I'm enjoying it). I've got a Wizard/Necro in the 30s though and might split into Wizard/Enchanter and Paladin/Necro when I catch up.

Bard/Druid has been fun and easy to level, but will probably be a worthless duo at 65.

bard druid is actually a pretty good duo. Until you hit end game, imo you really need a healer most duos. Paladin can actually heal pretty well in SoD ;)

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Oh really? I figured the Bard wouldnt be tanky enough. That's good to hear.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

boho posted:

Oh really? I figured the Bard wouldnt be tanky enough. That's good to hear.

They are no real tank, but they are a super strong class. Your best options for tank/healer in terms of strength at tanking/healing are:
war/pal/sk then monk/ranger then bard
cleric then shm/druid

The official SoD forums are littered with 'what classes should i play' type posts. Honestly, your best bet is to check them out for some advice on what classes to play. Usually, my advice is to play what you find to be fun.

My personal setup is paladin/shaman, but I recently have been raiding with a wizard. When I go farm stuff, I usually use ringer warrior + shaman.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
That's in part why I'm leveling a Paladin: EQ always seemed to boil down to needing a tank and healer for content at the level cap. Based on the forums I've been led to understand SOD is not much different. The only saving grace of that is that almost everyone boxes some flavor of healer, and thanks to guestlock, many people have access to dramatically overgeared tanks.

Part of me wants to denounce the use of ringer tanks as bullshit, but I'm not sure SOD's fundamental design could accommodate fresh players without them. It seems like there's a notable lack of "Catchup" style mechanics to get new players at least into "worth grouping with" range, which seems to have a devastating affect on the population. I know if goons weren't as active as they are (especially in regards to the older stuff) I wouldn't even bother.

Anyway, a kind fellow took me and some other random 50s to CMal last night -- I walked away with two levels, new bracers and weapon for my Bard, new bracers and pants for my Druid, and 700p. Not too shabby compared to my regular hauls of < 50p, no gear, and a couple bubbles of XP at best.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

boho posted:

That's in part why I'm leveling a Paladin: EQ always seemed to boil down to needing a tank and healer for content at the level cap. Based on the forums I've been led to understand SOD is not much different. The only saving grace of that is that almost everyone boxes some flavor of healer, and thanks to guestlock, many people have access to dramatically overgeared tanks.

Part of me wants to denounce the use of ringer tanks as bullshit, but I'm not sure SOD's fundamental design could accommodate fresh players without them. It seems like there's a notable lack of "Catchup" style mechanics to get new players at least into "worth grouping with" range, which seems to have a devastating affect on the population. I know if goons weren't as active as they are (especially in regards to the older stuff) I wouldn't even bother.

Anyway, a kind fellow took me and some other random 50s to CMal last night -- I walked away with two levels, new bracers and weapon for my Bard, new bracers and pants for my Druid, and 700p. Not too shabby compared to my regular hauls of < 50p, no gear, and a couple bubbles of XP at best.

Yeah I went from around 53 to 59 in one Cmal clear thanks to a friendly goon

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Any goons happen to be playing this on a Mac? My Windows laptop's CPU fan is on its way out so while that gets resolved I figured I'd try to get it going on my MacBook.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I think someone has made it work, but it seems like it'd be less effort to BootCamp on your mac and play it from Windows.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

boho posted:

Any goons happen to be playing this on a Mac? My Windows laptop's CPU fan is on its way out so while that gets resolved I figured I'd try to get it going on my MacBook.

https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/how-to-sod-on-a-mac-wine.28530/

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
Not to step on anyone's toes but Deein is broadcasting on twitch if anyone is interested in hanging out. He's also giving away an item at 8:30pm EST in game. You have to say the key word in chat when the time comes while also having followed the twitch stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/deein

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Moonbloodsflow posted:

Not to step on anyone's toes but Deein is broadcasting on twitch if anyone is interested in hanging out. He's also giving away an item at 8:30pm EST in game. You have to say the key word in chat when the time comes while also having followed the twitch stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/deein

Wonder how long until his next post about leaving the game again.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...
FYI, account drive is starting to ramp up. This is one of the reasons he is having give-a-ways via his stream. There will eventually be an XP bonus, but I do not think it is decided yet. I have already helped a few new guys do stuff over the last few days.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...
10% xp bonus is happening right now.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Made an account on this and played a little today. It's surprisingly fun, though some aspects are a little wonky. Just as painfully long to do anything as I remember.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 26, 2015

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
50% bonus going on right now with GM events this weekend. Bonus lasts three weeks.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
I know a lot of Solosolki's friends no longer play the game but are subscribed to this thread. The following is from the SOD forums:

quote:

Today Solosolki's girlfriend joined on to staff IRC to inform us that he has passed away.

Solosolki began playing SOD in 2009, and has been a huge part of the community ever since. Over the last few months, Solosolki has spent numerous hours developing a zone for the continuation of the Ikisith expansion. The Silent Halls are around 90% done, and we hope to finish the zone and release it in his honor over the coming weeks.

I will update this thread if I come across any more information regarding his death. I welcome anyone to post any stories, memories or screenshots they have with Solosolki in reply to this thread.

The thread is here: https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/solosolki.29663/

His family is asking for anyone with a good memory to come forward.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...
Just a quick update related to the Goon Squad guild:
Currently plowing tier 11-12 mobs, and broke into tier 13 with our first kill this week.

We have room and are looking for an active shaman to raid with us. If any vet players want to play, but don't want to re-level/quest a new shaman, we have a few existing shaman alts that are on tier, or close to on tier, within the guild. Personally, my shaman is decent, and I would have no problem sharing with a goon who wants to play with us 3 nights a week (I raid with my wizard so no biggie!) We raid almost every night, but the official raid days are currently Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday from 7:45 EST to 11 EST or so.

eldrumo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 15, 2015

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

i think i played a shaman maybe i should log on

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Every time I come back to play GS is dead. Its exciting seeing things happening again. I might reinstall and bust out the ranger.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

What t13 duder did you guys get?

Also someone play my monk and get me a 4.3 robe tia.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Suprfli6 posted:

Lleoc is playing with us playing Crynel and/or Tipikaele and sometimes Lleoc. Tevinter is playing with us on his cleric and ranger. Kedrin drops in sometimes to cleric or enchanter. Oh and Bango did NZ/Custo with us last week, I think?

Edit: Oh you meant what t13 mobs probably :downs:

Xeras fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 16, 2015

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

Suprfli6 posted:

Rujik. T13 first step :)

I use your monk very sparingly, but I see some non-goon on him occasionally. Some Dragonkin guy was on him in BQ June 15th, 2015. Just an FYI.

[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] Players on server:
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Sobal <Dragonkin>
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Logdim <Dragonkin>
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Quendor <Dragonkin>
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Snout <Dragonkin>
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] * PLATINUM *[65 Prelate] Ayste (Human) <Dragonkin> zone: bloodquarry
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Susvain
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] 6 players online

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Your monk can go to hell, we need two tank robes then MY ROBE.

EDIT: also our raids are usually full besides a shaman so anyone else is sorta iffy on raid spots.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 16, 2015

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

Quite A Tool posted:

Every time I come back to play GS is dead. Its exciting seeing things happening again. I might reinstall and bust out the ranger.

Garnax?

awn
Oct 8, 2008
quite a tool, is that u garnax, IS THAT U

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Negatory. Camden/Halfzware.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

eldrumo posted:

Rujik. T13 first step :)

I use your monk very sparingly, but I see some non-goon on him occasionally. Some Dragonkin guy was on him in BQ June 15th, 2015. Just an FYI.

[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] Players on server:
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Sobal <Dragonkin>
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Logdim <Dragonkin>
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Quendor <Dragonkin>
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Snout <Dragonkin>
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] * PLATINUM *[65 Prelate] Ayste (Human) <Dragonkin> zone: bloodquarry
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] [ANONYMOUS] Susvain
[Mon Jun 15 22:21:25 2015] 6 players online

Ah nice, Rujik drops some nice stuff.

Ayste has my info yeah, along with instructions to not hog my dude if goons are using him too.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah we use your monk occassionally to punch things really hard when not a lot of dudes are on and we're trying to snipe, like we killed talin yesterday and I used you, too bad we keep getting screwed and the blood never drops.... except when Thade powerlooted his.

Feklar
Sep 22, 2004
An alternative to wine is Virtual Box and the Windows 10 preview. Both are free.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Every once in a while I keep thinking about coming back but since I've not played in so long I'm rusty as hell and the game will most likely not be fun for me anymore.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Longshot I'm sure but does anyone have a fishing bot leveled they wouldn't mind sharing with me? I'm close to needing a sword to finish my Vah and there's only one guy selling ED maps and 3 (maybe 4?) goons on that part so I'd prefer not to gank maps from them. Figured I'd fish while doing stuff around the house or watching TV.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

Stanos posted:

Longshot I'm sure but does anyone have a fishing bot leveled they wouldn't mind sharing with me? I'm close to needing a sword to finish my Vah and there's only one guy selling ED maps and 3 (maybe 4?) goons on that part so I'd prefer not to gank maps from them. Figured I'd fish while doing stuff around the house or watching TV.

You should ask Bigry. I'm pretty sure he has a fishing bot enchanter.

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon
Boats and Hoes my fellow neckbeards.

The server has been recently "upgraded" to version 2.5 which means it now appears on the EQEmu server list. The server has also had a nice influx of people but unfortunately you know how SOD is...

This is where <Vintage> comes in. Vintage is going to be a guild for the low end crew that wants to raid without ringers. Basically what Goonsquad was when I re-made it about a year ago. If you didn't get a chance to hang out before and this sounds like something you would like to do then feel free to join!

PM me on the SOD forums as either Nebi or you can find me in game on Abuelito.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I logged in once, my UI was completely hosed and my AA's were all reset. Nope, can't be bothered anymore.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

bring back Wiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon
everyones back. even backstreet

• Locked thread