Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I'm gonna have to make it a point to check out the Nick Kroll episodes. I saw him for the first time on a stand-up special as Fabrice Fabrice and loved him, and I've heard him on Doug Loves Movies and liked him there too so I'm sure I'll dig'em.

I recommend listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFyM2i3vhys&feature=search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

Far too much American gobbledegook in this thread and not enough :britain:
Fine, time for some :australia:

The Life with Roy & HG
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/shows/royandhg
Their podcast is actually just their radio show minus all the advertising and music. These two are Australian commedians who discuss mainly sport. It's probably impossible for a non-Australian to listen to and very difficult for fresh Aussie ears to start listening to them because their long running jokes are measured in years or even decades.

One of the best things they do is commentate during major sporting events, such as the Australian equivalent of the Superbowl. You mute the TV and turn the radio up for real time comedy commentary.

I can't really begin to explain these guys to Americans, but imagine if the Daily Show with John Stewart was only about sport.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
For CDR, what's the first episode with the Cake Boss?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

webster876 posted:

The guys have great chemistry, they are consistantly entertaining and are occasionally quite funny. Their banter is interesting. With that being said, I can imagine the banter getting a little bit stale after a while if it's only these two guys, but I might be wrong. I'm not sure if they have special guests, funny characters, or quiz games they toss in later.

They don't add guests, characters or quiz shows later (thankfully), its one of the reasons the show is so great, they don't rely on any gimmicking morning radioshow crew bullshit, just two good friends trying to make each other laugh.

The closest they got to a celebrity circle jerk podcast was they played a voice mail they got from Ricky Gervais at the start of one show, and Jonathan phoned his dad to get his side of this story, and not a celebrity but Seth did one with his mom.

I don't know if it's just live in Smodcastle, but Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes are doing a podcast called "Jay and Silent Bob Get Old", and since he got clean Mewes is always hilarious to listen to.

Also if you're into the whole Smodcast/Tell 'em Steve Dave thing, Highlands: A Peephole history is a not at all regular podcast with Kevin and people he grew up with in Highlands (so far Walt, Bryan, his mom, his sister and Jason Mewes)

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

For CDR, what's the first episode with the Cake Boss?

56 I think?

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
The other non-PFT CDR guest that needs more love is Andy Daly. The one with PFT, Todd Glass, and him as "August Lindt" is one of my favorite recent episodes.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Jeez, PFT is everywhere this week. He's on the latest Never Not Funny. I'm not sure when the free drops, but the primo dropped today.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I think the episode of UYD that really clinched it for me was 186. I had been listening for about a month at that point and enjoyed it, but the segment about the Sex Degrees of Separation instantly turned me into a diehard. I remember playing it and another episode on a 3 hour drive to my mom's place for Thanksgiving, and my wife loved it too. She isn't at a computer all day at work so she doesn't get to listen as much as I do, but she catches up when she can.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Sock The Great posted:

I’m pretty certain that Seth is playing some sort of a character, either a really exaggerated version of himself or something made up entirely.  You can sort of tell when he shuts it on and off, like when he and Jah got into a fight in episode 67(?), the one where Seth was arguing that adoption is BS because the kid is never really yours.  Seth was rattled at how angry Jonathan became, and he backed off entirely.

His mystery is what makes him great though.  Jonathan has his band and his father’s money, but has anyone besides me thought about what Seth does for work?  He probably makes some decent scratch from UYD merch and the occasional sponsorship, but there’s no way it’s paying the bills.

Seth works at a medical marijuana dispensery part time, I'm not sure what his "real" job is.

The first episode of UYD I ever listened to was the one of the craigslist episodes where the guy goes off about not wanting to be a dad, and wanting find someone to be his daddy and to teach him blowjobs. I was hooked and I'm hoping to go to their live show in LA even though it's like a 15 hour drive.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
So I feel like recently, Kevin Smith has been flooding the iTunes library with a lot of new one or two episode podcasts to make it look like he fills up the top 10. I don't like this, because I don't find his podcasts particularly funny in the least bit.

And man, I totally don't understand how some people can't find the characters on CDR funny....

widunder
May 2, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

I’m pretty certain that Seth is playing some sort of a character, either a really exaggerated version of himself or something made up entirely.  You can sort of tell when he shuts it on and off, like when he and Jah got into a fight in episode 67(?), the one where Seth was arguing that adoption is BS because the kid is never really yours.  Seth was rattled at how angry Jonathan became, and he backed off entirely.

His mystery is what makes him great though.  Jonathan has his band and his father’s money, but has anyone besides me thought about what Seth does for work?  He probably makes some decent scratch from UYD merch and the occasional sponsorship, but there’s no way it’s paying the bills.
I listened to that episode just yesterday, it's ep 89 I think. Seth definitely gets into character but you can tell that the guy is pretty loving nuts and OCD as hell. Relisten to that episode though, you're misremembering it. The argument was about what constitutes being a parent and how adoption, according to Seth, can never live up to it. He backs off because Jonathan gets extremely upset at him (never has happened since as far as I know), not because he's playing some character. He's being super honest.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

They don't add guests, characters or quiz shows later (thankfully), its one of the reasons the show is so great, they don't rely on any gimmicking morning radioshow crew bullshit, just two good friends trying to make each other laugh.

The closest they got to a celebrity circle jerk podcast was they played a voice mail they got from Ricky Gervais at the start of one show, and Jonathan phoned his dad to get his side of this story, and not a celebrity but Seth did one with his mom.

Yeahhh but I kinda like that stuff. Different tastes, son. Different tastes.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

Jeez, PFT is everywhere this week. He's on the latest Never Not Funny. I'm not sure when the free drops, but the primo dropped today.

The combo of PFT and NNF is about as good as it gets

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bananasinpajamas posted:

The combo of PFT and NNF is about as good as it gets

It's been mentioned before, but Jimmy and Paul work so well off each other. Both, along with Scott Aukerman, are just wonderful improvisers.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

PFT gets a lot of respect, but I love the hell out of Nick Kroll's characters. I could listen to Jon Hamm, Bobby Bottleservice, and El Chupacabra all day.
Hey now, afaik, Jon Hamm is not a Nick Kroll character.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

They don't add ... quiz shows later (thankfully)
Let us not forget Racehorse/Medical Marijuana/From My Mind's Eye. Best gameshow ever.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Desk Lamp posted:

The first podcast I listened to was The Ricky Gervais Guide To, which was pretty good but I feel that a lot of them turned into just giving poo poo to Karl. The only part I didn't like was when Ricky would start interrupting Karl or Stephen. I'll probably get around to listening to the original podcasts.

I've been listening to You Look Nice Today and Comedy Death Ray. Both great, but I feel Scott Aukerman talks too much when he isn't very funny.

I disagree about Scott Aukerman not being funny. Dude makes me laugh quite a bit.He has this super sarcastic comedy style which I love, and I love his overly phony serious moments.

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie

The_Rob posted:

I disagree about Scott Aukerman not being funny. Dude makes me laugh quite a bit.He has this super sarcastic comedy style which I love, and I love his overly phony serious moments.

He killed me with "Do you think Aladdin ever watched someone from Jaffar?"

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

And man, I totally don't understand how some people can't find the characters on CDR funny....

The cake boss is both the most amazing and most ridiculous character ever.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

He killed me with "Do you think Aladdin ever watched someone from Jaffar?"

His joke he made about John Travolta right after his son died made me laugh so loving hard.

Also episode 68 is up at http://www.earwolf.com

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What was the joke!?!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Phone posted:

What was the joke!?!

It was right after Mel Gibson's son Pilot died, and Sarah Silverman said it was weird that John named his son after a hobby of his. Scott Aukerman then said what he should have named his son men's assholes.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The_Rob posted:

It was right after Mel Gibson's son Pilot died, and Sarah Silverman said it was weird that John named his son after a hobby of his. Scott Aukerman then said what he should have named his son men's assholes.

The setup was that it's weird he named his son after something he really loved.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

soru posted:

The setup was that it's weird he named his son after something he really loved.

Yes that's right. I still love it.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Alright, around episode 15 of Uhh Yeah Dude, the actual laugh our loud moments are rolling in. Congrats, Uhh Yeah Dude, welcome to the team.

Regarding Scott Aukerman... he does have his moments where he's funny, and his infrequent single lines. I love his running joke with Would You Rather where after every question he exclaims how "And that is EXACTLY how you play would you rather", and he comes up with hilarious stuff on the fly for that game. I've only heard them play "What am I Wearing?" once, and at the very end, when nobody has any loving clue how they were supposed to be playing, he ends it with "And that's how you play..." even though it WASN'T how you play. But whatever. I really really hope his Weirder Scott songs are meant to be horrible, because they are. But overall, his hosting abilities and cast of funny friends far surpass his own comedic value.

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art

Brainwrong posted:

But my absolute favourite is The Collings and Herrin Podcast starring Richard Herring (off of Lee & Herring) and Andrew Collins (off of the Radio Times)

It's gone a bit off the boil recently, but the earlier ones are a mine of lo-fi childish hilarity.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

webster876 posted:

Alright, around episode 15 of Uhh Yeah Dude, the actual laugh our loud moments are rolling in. Congrats, Uhh Yeah Dude, welcome to the team.

Regarding Scott Aukerman... he does have his moments where he's funny, and his infrequent single lines. I love his running joke with Would You Rather where after every question he exclaims how "And that is EXACTLY how you play would you rather", and he comes up with hilarious stuff on the fly for that game. I've only heard them play "What am I Wearing?" once, and at the very end, when nobody has any loving clue how they were supposed to be playing, he ends it with "And that's how you play..." even though it WASN'T how you play. But whatever. I really really hope his Weirder Scott songs are meant to be horrible, because they are. But overall, his hosting abilities and cast of funny friends far surpass his own comedic value.

How in anyway shape or form are you supposed to think that his weirder scott songs are supposed to be not horrible. The whole joke is that they are awful parody songs. If you don't think Birthday Checks is hilarious then I don't know what to tell you.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I've listened to a few CDR episodes now (thanks Rob) and I love the gag where they start playing a song or some poo poo and keep interrupting it with nonsense or new guests coming on. I realized it was a gag like the 2nd time they did it but it's still funny to me even knowing that it's coming. Also, as well as, with regard to, and furthermore Bobby Bottleservice rules.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

My favorite is when Would You Rather spirals completely out of control into these insane situations almost entirely unrelated to the actual questions.

Scared of Bees
May 14, 2004
Save your fork there is pie!!

soru posted:

My favorite is when Would You Rather spirals completely out of control into these insane situations almost entirely unrelated to the actual questions.

I am made out of balsa wood in the shape of a plane so I can fly and my landing gear is always stuck open and I have a brain made out of gold that people want to steal and scoop out of my head and I know there is my one true love out there that I can never find.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Scared of Bees posted:

I am made out of balsa wood in the shape of a plane so I can fly and my landing gear is always stuck open and I have a brain made out of gold that people want to steal and scoop out of my head and I know there is my one true love out there that I can never find.

Don't forget that you have to run on your little tippy toes.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

El Goatherd posted:

It's gone a bit off the boil recently, but the earlier ones are a mine of lo-fi childish hilarity.
20 minutes of mentioning people who gave them money has really gotten old. AOITM is still great though, I just re-listened to TWTTIN and it's not nearly as good.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

The_Rob posted:

How in anyway shape or form are you supposed to think that his weirder scott songs are supposed to be not horrible. The whole joke is that they are awful parody songs. If you don't think Birthday Checks is hilarious then I don't know what to tell you.

Okay, i'm satisfied then. There are a lot of people out there doing really horrible parody songs and thinking they rock, I was on the fence about whether or not Aukerman was one of those people.

Scared of Bees posted:

For this reason alone, Ice-T needs to participate in every single Would You Rather game. They are always so much better when he is involved.

webster876 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 27, 2010

Dzokhar Duggar
Oct 18, 2008

Stupid Idiot Bitch

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Oh man, I love UYD. Glad you're on board.

While I'm quoting you, can you explain the whole "Forums Cancer" thing? I guess I didn't hear about it. Are you trained or something?

Basically I was image spamming threads in YCS the day before this cancer thing happened and now I can't post in fyad anymore.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Also, as well as, with regard to, and furthermore Bobby Bottleservice rules.

Also, as well as, in addition to me saying that all loving week really pissed people off. :v:

I highly recommend CDR episodes with Harris Wittels.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Phone posted:

Also, as well as, in addition to me saying that all loving week really pissed people off. :v:

I highly recommend CDR episodes with Harris Wittels.

As do I. Don't Stop or We'll Die is the best.

Here is the video for their song I got a perm for our camping trip.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3a16a23c21/i-got-a-perm-for-our-camping-trip-by-don-t-stop-or-we-ll-die

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I can't really get into UYD. I listened to the first 40 eps, and there were a few really good moments, but something about their schtick I can't put my finger on that I don't care for.
Love CDR though. Best characters are Huell Howser, Jesse Ventura, anything PFT, as well as, in addition to, therefore, Bobby Bottleservice. If only there was a female version of him I could go on an adequate date with. Chupacabra is great too.
EL GATO!!!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I can't really get into UYD. I listened to the first 40 eps, and there were a few really good moments, but something about their schtick I can't put my finger on that I don't care for.
Love CDR though. Best characters are Huell Howser, Jesse Ventura, anything PFT, as well as, in addition to, therefore, Bobby Bottleservice. If only there was a female version of him I could go on an adequate date with. Chupacabra is great too.
EL GATO!!!

Who es on da phoonnneeee

Es a baby!!!!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
El Chupicabra with Jon Hamm makes me laugh like an idiot. "MMMMMASCULINIDAD!"

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Phone posted:

Ummm, Uhhh, no disrespect but I don't respect you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

EL GATO!!!

How can you listen to 40 hours of a show you don't like? What is wrong with you.

• Locked thread