Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Maarak posted:

I stand by my theory that the entire Talking Funny special is more just an excuse for Gervais to get personal validation from people he respects, than explore the inner workings of comedy. Doesn't make it worse, but I think that says a hell of a lot about his rise to fame, and the isolation that brings with it.

I kinda agree with this in that Gervais seemed to be aggressively seeking approval from everyone (his overacted laughing drove me crazy), but I also liked that he was trying to dive into the inner workings of comedy, and get three legends of comedy talking about those things, more than just talk about the first bit you knew would work or why you do/don't curse (these were both interesting topics as well, just less cerebral). He brought up some pretty cool points so for me he served his purpose. I would prefer to watch CK and Chris Rock talk about doing the Chris Rock Show for a couple hours, but this was fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

substitute posted:

Gervais actually laughs like that for real. Has no one watched The Office extras, or seen him crack up during an interview?

Eh, I guess you're right but it seemed like he was cracking the gently caress up at poo poo that was only moderately humorous (he got out of his chair and literally knee-slapped himself* while everyone else kinda chuckled). There was some weird editing in there so I'm willing to chalk some of it up to that, even though I pretty much just made it up to give him an out 'cause I like the guy, but some of it was over the top. That's really the only thing that rubbed me the wrong way though.

*And ~what's the deal with~ all the unnecessary touching on Seinfeld's behalf? Hands to yourself Jerry!

\/\/\/ speaking of weird editing :whatup:

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 7, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Also all this talk about Gervais got me thinking about Jimmy Carr, who I think is twice as funny as Ricky. Does he do any podcasting (this is still the podcasting thread, and I use parenthesis way too much but I love them so eat a dick yall)

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Manos99 posted:

Anyone else think Andy Richter is a hidden gem on CBB/CDR? He's incredibly game for all sorts of stupidity, isn't afraid to talk poo poo about people, and continually gives Scott a hard time.

Maybe I just respect that he's so candid and self-deprecating, but his episodes are some of my favorite.

And I echo the "Who Said It" theme being the very best.

Refreshing my phones podcast thingy and seeing Richter and PFT on the new episode was a pretty joyous moment. He's always great and I'm looking forward to another hour with him next week.

And Andy freaking out on Scott about the time consuming theme songs was great :) When I first started listening to CDR I wasn't sure if I just wasn't in on the in-jokes (i.e. Scott telling people to shut the gently caress up during the theme songs, the importance of plugs) or they were just terrible jokes and now that I know it's both, I enjoy it immensely.

As an aside, I'm kinda half-watching The Informant! now and there are crazy cameos in this movie. Andy Daly, Patton Oswalt, Buster from Arrested Development, Hornberger from 30 Rock, as I am typing this Paul F. Tompkins just asked Matt Damon a question, and like 3 other dudes that I recognize but don't know by name. I may have to rewatch this when I'm able to pay more attention.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 25, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Finally got around to checking out MBMBAM and I love it. It took about half an episode for me to really get in to it but once I heard "SPAGHEDDITON!!" I was hooked

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

What are these pies posted:

I'm glad there's a bunch of new MBMBaM converts in this thread! Travis's Cosmo discussion this week was brilliant. And next week is their first show of a new month, and you know what THAT means...

I know what that means because I listened to the first May episode TODAY! I've listened to about 10 MBMBaM's now and I am super enjoying it. It's right up there with CBB and PFT, easy. Gonna give Jordan Jesse Go a shot tomorrow morning because of this thread and the fact that The Brothers mentioned it.

To Lou, I know I'm late, but I finally decided "gently caress it" and clicked on "Lou Reads CumOnFood" on my phones podcast thingy after kinda glaring at it a few times and deciding to do something ~not dumb~ instead, so excelsior and whatnot. Hearing your little break-in-character reactions was cracking me up more than the sperm in peoples food was grossing me out.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Combo posted:

Yeah I don't normally dry heave regarding something I'm listening to, but my god. I made it through the whole thing but jesus I have no idea how. Do more.

I was physically uncomfortable once. There was one peak or valley in my metaphorical flatline of calm, but being so desensitized and jaded by the internet helped me get through it with more of a "well that's just no good" resolve. I also think a lot of those posts were just those people living out fantasies, though I'm sure some of them were at least rooted in truth.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

ElCondemn posted:

I've listened to every episode of mbmbam and loved it so I gave jjgo a shot and honestly it's not very good. I listen to new episodes and ones with guests I like but I haven't felt the need to go back in the archives.

mbmbam is loving hilarious though, their jingles make me want to advertise with them

Its absotroofley ridiculous, to me, that someone would pay them $100 for the Money Zone jingles, but I guess if I was mega-ballin' id throw them a hundred for support and a quick laugh.

I never got around to listening to JJGgo this morning but Nick Kroll can do no wrong in my mind so ill prolly start with that one, as suggested.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

dancehall posted:

Fabrice Fabrice on the latest Comedy Bang Bang! :allears:

definitely one of my favorite characters of the new year.

God dammit I love Nick Kroll. "My grandmother taught me to always be manners" had me dying for no fuckin' reason. Fabrice Fabrice is incredible.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
UYD is boring and CBB is infinitely unfunny and Nick Kroll is a black woman and everything is terrible lets all die :dealwithit:

e: oh hey wait I do actually have something to say! I heard Nick Swardson mention his Comedy Central show on some old podcast I don't remember when, I think it was an old ep of CDR -- anywho it finally popped up in my Netflix recommended thing-thing and it's pretty loving funny. It's called "Nick Swardson's Pretend Time" and there's only like 7 episodes on Netflix so whatever, but the Gary Gaga sketch was great, and "Yo, yall come wit' me and I'm finna show yall how to turn yo dog -- into weed"

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 13, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Mogambo posted:

Spaghettageddon.

SpacePig posted:

Spaghettageddon,

Me too. Spaghettageddon. Get it on. Spaghetiton.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Strange Matter posted:

Was the Cameron Bro character on a prior episode of CDR?

Brekelefuw posted:

Don't think so. I would have remembered someone so boring.

If I haven't listened to every episode of CDR I'm no more than 3 shy, and I haven't heard him before. I liked this episode well enough, I'm kind of a sucker for Andy Samberg so it would've taken him being totally lovely to throw me off, and even that probably would've been funny.

MBMBaM was in good form on the new ep too, I never wanted to destroy a horse before I started listening to them dern McElroys.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Bunk Rogers posted:

Colin Hanks, I really want to like you but god you're dull.

He was fuckin' golden on his last appearance. I guess maybe going into this episode already liking him and psyched that he was back makes me bias or whatever but I DISAGREE WITH YOU lets argue

Creflo Chronicle posted:

The character Paul Scheer started with pretty good for once, although it went off the rails when he got away from the new-agey stuff.

Paul Scheer abandons his characters so quickly every time I don't know why he insists on coming back as not-himself. I think he'd be good as the straight man or whatever the CBB equivalent would be.

Eltoasto posted:

Engineer Doug is on vacation so Earwolf's podcasts are going to be a trainwreck this week.

It's crazy how much of a difference it makes when Doug (or whoever the engineer with the most experience is, there was one before Doug - and Doug sucked when he first started) leaves. Scott should have had a "Get Ready To Play Something" signal for the fill-in this week.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Transfatuation posted:

I just started listening to MBMBAM a week or two ago and figured it'd already been discussed so I didn't ask, but in an older episode Griffin drops "boning down" (and in general does a lot of Seth-type "Hey ___, are you okay" rants at Yahoo people) and it made me feel a little uncomfortable :I

It's usually "Hey, dogg? Blahblerhblerg" and it cracks me up every time.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Today I listened to this weeks Monday Morning Podcast and when Bill Burr started going off on how to kill a hamster without putting it in a bag and slamming it against a wall I almost lost it. I typically enjoy the MMPodcast but it's more of just a thing to have on in the background, whereas CBB or MBMBaM gets my full attention, and for the most part this episode was no exception but it had its moments.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
The new PFTcast is one of the best he's ever done. I wish every episode was live!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Mr. Squishy posted:

Speaking of, does anybody know how he did this month's episode of the GUP? I swear a few times he interrupted himself which I can't see is possible if it's 100% live.

yeah I noticed he interrupted himself once during the Ice T/ALW call (I think) and I thought it was either a very clever and equally unnecessary thing to do or I don't know what the hell was going on. It seemed very much like the other halves of the conversations were pre-recorded though and that's the only thing that makes sense to me for I am an knuckleshead

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
If we're talking PFT characters I gotta go with John C. Reilly. It's just so goddamn perfect and I love John C. Reilly as it is, so

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

-Atom- posted:

Nia getting more airtime on the Monday Morning Podcast is something I'm very pleased with.

Wow I had no idea Nia was black. This is her in the middle apparently

Agreein' wit dis and also adding my suprise that Nia is black but not because I found out on the internet or something, I was just listening to the podcast today and had never heard her talk as much as she did on this episode so about halfway through I was like "whoa I think she's black. go 'head Bill" and then here this picture is

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
you guys know what I can't stand: comedy podcasts :argh: where do you even get off saying something maybe funny when it may be actually not funny and you'll never know cause you're too busy making yuk-yuks so see me scowling

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I felt like it was a pretty weak episode too but I like those guys enough that I still enjoyed it. David Wain was trying his damndest to get something going, but with Marino bailing on bits (which ended up being the funniest thing he did all episode), and Paul Rudd being... just... boring, it never panned out. Once they figured out Would You Rather I had a few laughs.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
god dammit Lou

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Ograbme posted:

Do the Sklars talk about things besides sports? I can tell that they're funny but I don't get any of the jokes. :(

I dont know what youve listened to but give a few more episodes a shot. I dont follow any sports either and I enjoy most episodes and pretty much forget its a sports centered show.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
you are a monster

shotgunbadger posted:

Whatever you do give no name or info, I'd hate to be able to listen to two awesome people and an awesome story!

Whatever you do keep typing a bunch of words on a message board about not being able to do stuff instead of typing 'aisha tyler podcast' in google and maybe click a couple times I dunno, I'd hate to make you happy!

For everyone else: Girl on Guy w/Aisha Tyler - iTunes

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 1, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Holy poo poo I hadn't even thought to try comedy albums/stand-up in general on Spotify.. There are a lot of short sets from Comedy Death Ray on there.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I don't think it was mentioned yet that Marc Maron has a new standup out called "This Has To Be Funny" and it is.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Savantegarde posted:

Paul F Tompkins just posted this on facebook and I thought it was amazing.

holy hell thats awesome

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I haven't had as much time to listen to podcasts lately so the only one I've made time for is MBMBaM. I'm never disappointed with them.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

soru posted:

Listening to PFT ramble is pretty much the best part of his podcast.

If only reading Teepkick ramble was half as worthwhile...

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I feel like I've seen this page before with those last two posts.. fuckin forums dejavu

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Nadine Hauklund posted:

It was just bros chillin with bros, havin broversations. One of the best What Am I Thinking ever.

"simultaneous vernacular bukkake" almost made me choke on my lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
e: what the

• Locked thread