Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Support the little guys who do it much better.

Uhh Yeah Dude - http://www.uhhyeahdude.com/

quote:

Saving America from herself, America through the eyes of two American Americans. Seth and Jonathan are the best podcasters currently podcasting right now, they take a medium that is usually poo poo and turn it into pure comedy, it's also a dancecast and performance art.

Sick & Wrong - http://www.sickandwrongpodcast.com/

quote:

Very NWS. They take the 3 most sick and wrong articles of the week and compete them against each other with interviews randomly added in (A crime scene cleaner, a scat dominatrix, a cock and ball torture dominatrix etc). The "LOL DRINKING" attitude they have gets old, and D. is a dumbass, but Lance is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Indolent Bastard posted:

Film maker Kevin Smith; some hate him some love him, try his podcast and see which camp you are in.

http://www.smodcast.com/

The main Smodcast is good as is Tell 'em Steve Dave.

(Fake edit: Not a podcast, but awesome: http://www.kevinpollakschatshow.com/)

Same with the Highlands: A peepholes history, it's basically a podcast with Kevin/Bryan/Walter with other people they grew up with (last week was Jason Mewes, the one before was Kevin's mom) talking about growing up in Highlands.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Here's another good not "LOL CELEBRITY" podcast. It's not meant to be funny, but the hosts of "Stuff You Should Know" are really funny.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
If you want other podcasts that aren't a bunch of celebrity stroking radio shows this weeks episode (230) of Uhh Yeah Dude is really good, between the return of one of their only "segments", rap/country song of the week, Jonathan reveals to Seth that he has black ancestry which blows his mind.

No guests, no lovely segments/shticks, no morning zoo crews where they can swear it truly is the perfect podcast.

But it's getting plenty of love.

One that isn't is You Look Nice Today

As much as I love Sick & Wrong and UYD, You Look Nice Today is minute by minute the funniest podcast out there. I can't explain why it's so funny, for a show recorded over Skype with guys who met over Twitter, they have amazing chemistry and comedic timing.

I recommend listening to show one, then every show after since it found it's stride from day one.

Now defunt, The Awful Show had a pretty good run until Tha Mike left and the show slowly descended. The opposite of UYD. Guests, segments and plenty of gimmicks and has a morning zoo crew, but dammit it worked.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I hate that this topic is like some celebrity radio show blowfest, it's the reason actual good podcasts can't get listeners because everyone is always "Holy poo poo a celebrity is doing a podcast! Let's all listen!" Adam Carolla is the worst.

Sock The Great posted:

I’m pretty certain that Seth is playing some sort of a character, either a really exaggerated version of himself or something made up entirely.  You can sort of tell when he shuts it on and off, like when he and Jah got into a fight in episode 67(?), the one where Seth was arguing that adoption is BS because the kid is never really yours.  Seth was rattled at how angry Jonathan became, and he backed off entirely.

His mystery is what makes him great though.  Jonathan has his band and his father’s money, but has anyone besides me thought about what Seth does for work?  He probably makes some decent scratch from UYD merch and the occasional sponsorship, but there’s no way it’s paying the bills.

I'm pretty sure Seth works at a video store, he's dropped some hints a few times and it's where he met Jonathan.

I also recommend Stuff You Should Know, it's not a comedy podcast by nature, but I find the two hosts really funny.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

webster876 posted:

The guys have great chemistry, they are consistantly entertaining and are occasionally quite funny. Their banter is interesting. With that being said, I can imagine the banter getting a little bit stale after a while if it's only these two guys, but I might be wrong. I'm not sure if they have special guests, funny characters, or quiz games they toss in later.

They don't add guests, characters or quiz shows later (thankfully), its one of the reasons the show is so great, they don't rely on any gimmicking morning radioshow crew bullshit, just two good friends trying to make each other laugh.

The closest they got to a celebrity circle jerk podcast was they played a voice mail they got from Ricky Gervais at the start of one show, and Jonathan phoned his dad to get his side of this story, and not a celebrity but Seth did one with his mom.

I don't know if it's just live in Smodcastle, but Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes are doing a podcast called "Jay and Silent Bob Get Old", and since he got clean Mewes is always hilarious to listen to.

Also if you're into the whole Smodcast/Tell 'em Steve Dave thing, Highlands: A Peephole history is a not at all regular podcast with Kevin and people he grew up with in Highlands (so far Walt, Bryan, his mom, his sister and Jason Mewes)

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Out of all of Kevin Smith's new podcasts, I find Hollywood Babble-On the best, it's nice to hear a co-host interrupting him and getting back on topic. I don't know who Ralph Garman is though, I guess some Radio DJ and a guy on Family Guy.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

NecronSchmecron posted:

I thought Swardson was pretty funny on DLM. He's a drunk so he's going to be somewhat unreliable. You're right though, he was better on WTF.

I used to think he was funny, in like Grandma's Boy or Reno 911, but then I heard his stand up, it is so loving annoying.

"HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS I AM SO DRUNK!" "RIGHT GUYS? DRINKING WOOOOOOO!" "YOU GUYS DRINK BECAUSE YOU ARE YOUNG RIGHT!? YEEEEEAAA WOOO DRINKING!!!"

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Anyone want to list podcast that are pay to get the whole thing? Not ones where you have to pay for the archives. The ones where you get 15 minutes of content from a 2 hour show unless you pay them, I hate getting into a podcast only to find out I've missed most of it.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Awesome, Tom Green is now hosting a live Podcast at Kevin Smith's SModcastle. I was hoping someone out of his circle of friends would start doing shows there. Now for UYD to start doing live shows there (Although they probably hate Kevin Smith)

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Jippa posted:

Which of the shows in the OP would you recommend to a UK goon? I'm not actually looking for any thing UK related just ones that I might get the majority of references/jokes etc.

I realise these might be few and far between.

Uhh Yeah Dude has a lot of fans in the UK, but a lot of their dialect and conversations might be completely baffling to you. It's like when Americans listen to British shows where the hosts give no poo poo about sounding listenable to people outside of their country.

Sick & Wrong is probably more translatable, disgusting hosed up things happen all over the world.

The rest are basic comedy central/stand up comedian shows which I guess translate usually pretty well. But I recommend Sick & Wrong and You Look Nice Today.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Is Doug Loves Movies always like this? Great guests with Doug dragging it down with his whole "Ooops, I forgot I am a silly stoner durpa durpa" act.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I wish the Pod F Tompkast was just an hour or whatever of him talking set to music.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I've been catching up on the Nerdist, and does anyone else have a hard time telling Chris and Matt apart?

People who surprised me how funny or interesting they are: Jon Hamm, Mike Shinoda, Rob Zombie, Adam Savage.

People who didn't surprise me how funny or interesting they are: Weird Al

And on the new Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, Jay mentions he wants to do a podcast of him and his friends playing D&D live at SModcastle which would rock.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Nothing is more missed than You Look Nice Today. I just wished they would say if it's canceled or not. I need closure :(.

The three of them are active on Twitter, but I haven't been able to see any references to the show.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Have you heard of "edit"?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Boinks posted:

Does anyone else like Hollywood Babbleon? Its become my favorite out of all of the Smodcast stuff.

I enjoy it because its nice to hear Kevin talk to someone who isn't a close personal friend he hasn't known for 20 years, and its nice to hear Ralph able to get Kevin back on track on whatever topic they strayed from.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Gaza posted:

Are there any other podcasts in similar style to Uhh Yeah Dude? This podcast has turned into my favorite thing in the entire world and I'm looking for more stuff like it.

Unfortunately, nothing even comes close to their genuine love of podcasting or each other. Every other podcast I listen to, even if the hosts like it they make snarky comments about having to do it, or mock their co-hosts.

The closest I can think of is You Look Nice Today, even though it seems to be updating less and less (2 new episodes this year).

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
The best parts of the recent live SMods are the end part when they reverse roles and read from the Smodcast book, because as much as I enjoy Kevin talking, Scott is the best part of every episode.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

The Entire Universe posted:

Adding to the UYD stack. I started listening at episode 227 so I'm not entirely up to date, but should I start from the beginning?

Absolutely, it's by far the best podcast out there and they don't resort to lame morning zoo crew antics or zany characters. I recently started listening to the archives, and I forgot how good Jahnathan's Poetry readings are.

:mad: Seth: What the gently caress are vulture children!?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
The new Nerdist is out, with guest Brian Posehn! About time they got him or her on the show, he or she is the perfect guest.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I like the Joe Rogan Show, but its annoying how Joe is the only one who is allowed to talk about dumb poo poo and tells Brian he's dumb when he says something hilarious. Brian Redban should have his own podcast, he's a hilarious guy.

Proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEDJbUbyZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0GxV1_T7mM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbiACH_3gXY&feature=related

I don't know where else to ask, but if a mod reads this is it cool if I or someone else start a non-comedy podcast thread? Or is that too many podcast threads?

edit: Woo hoo, episode 250 of Sick & Wrong. If you haven't listened to Sick & Wrong yet, go do it. Start at episode one, other then them burping into the mics all the time, it starts out great and never falls off (they do interviews every once in a blue moon, and they are 50-50 interesting/awkward). I place it behind Uhh Yeah Dude as my favorite podcast.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 29, 2010

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

King Lou posted:

I just downloaded the latest DLM and Sklar Bros. They both have Nick Swenson I'm getting a little overloaded with the obvious promo-tour rotation these guys are doing. It was Berbiglia the week before on every show. Nick, I get it, you have a new show on Comedy Central.

Still looking forward to the shows just kind of would like to not have to listen to the same dudes on 3-4 sets o shows a week.

Let me guess, he said "You guys I am so drunk/high." at least thirty times, right? Or some variation of telling people how drunk he got?

But this is why you don't listen to all the morning zoo crew shows.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Dammit how many times is Nick Swardson going to be on Doug Loves Movies? I loving hate that guy. At least Chris Hardwick is there to make up for it.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I've been going through the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts again, and as good as the 97% with Karl is, the random awkward stories of Stephen's life crack me up, like him going to Vietnam and people pointing and laughing at him.

In the Guide To episodes, Karl proves that he's not a complete idiot, he's just really really good at making Ricky extremely angry, or laugh really hard.

edit: I've never heard the Guide To The World Cup before today, and dammit Karl talking about how he was sitting in his garden with his head down and dripping drool seeing if he would run out for 15 minutes is probably the funniest drat mental image ever.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 3, 2010

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Hell yeah. Scott Pilgrim was the best movie by far this year.

quote:

edgarwright Myself, Michael Cera and @evilhag did Doug Loves Movies tonight with @DougBenson. It was a blast. It's on iTunes on Friday. Free. Listen!

@evilhag is Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Recreation/Julie from Scott Pilgrim.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Aubrey Plaza is also in the Derrick Comedy's Mystery Team, go watch it now.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

HipGnosis posted:

Yesssss...

Today is my birfday & I got a new You Look Nice Today.

http://youlooknicetoday.com/episode/thats-babies

If someone hasn't listen to this podcast, do it. This is the third episode they released this year and it is minute by minute the funniest podcast out there, even though it's not my favorite.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

NecronSchmecron posted:

The only reason I haven't checked it out is because I'm not a huge fan of Jesse Thorn (except when he's on NNF, weird) and someone here described it being similar to UYD. I really am not into UYD.

I don't know who Jesse Thorn is, but its only similar to UYD in the sense that its two(three) hilarious dudes with great chemistry talking.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

dancehall posted:

NEW YLNT? BE STILL MY HEART

unrelated: so, Nick Swardson is basically Andy Dick, right?

Except he says "YOU GUYS I AM SO DRUNK RIGHT NOW" all the time instead of doing coke.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Sexy Randal posted:

So does the one guy from UYD stand the whole time they're recording? It looks that way from the videos on youtube. Something about that weirds me out...

However this clip has convinced me to give this show a listen.

Seth, and not as far as I know. I think he gets up and paces around during the show.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Combo posted:

I've listened to the most recent 5 episodes or something though and he does seem to cover almost the exact same topics with every guest he has.

Him and Joey or Ari Shaffir are really good though. Redban tries way too hard I think.

He's been doing that since episode 1, rehashing the same stories over and over again. I don't mind it that much though. But whats with all the Redban hate? I find him the be the funniest guy on the show, he's such a weird dude and his YouTube page is awesome.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

KillRoy posted:

He works part time at a Medical Marijuana dispensary. One of the posters on the UYD forum saw him there and narced on him. It's only on the weekends, he has another full time job but no one knows what it is. I like to think he's a silent food critic.

I knew he worked at a dispensary, during one of the shows Jah tries out a strain of weed Seth gives him called "Sexy Seth's Sativa" or something. I've heard a lot of things, and he's revealed some hints throughout the years.

He doesn't come in contact with children. He doesn't work mornings (or at least not often) He possibly still works at the video store he met Johnathan in, something he said a little while ago led me to believe that. I don't think he works at an office or anything like that, or they've been able to maintain pretty well that Seth doesn't know how to use computers for the past 5 years.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Strange Matter posted:

I just listened to my first Uhh Yeah Dude yesterday, show 243. You all were saying you have to listen to them from the beginning but I keyed into their humor and chemistry immediately, and it was pretty great. Them talking about axe/tag body spray had me in hysterics.

You don't HAVE to listen from the beginning, it's just the best way as you grow to feel like you actually know them. Doesn't matter with you if they hooked you with one show though. It's one of those rare shows that finds its stride right from the beginning.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
The new Nerdist podcast is out with Kevin Pollak, and from the description Matt and Jonah aren't in it. I don't mind them, but the ones with just Chris/Guest are the best. I also can't tell the difference between Chris and Matt most of the time.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Too few people talk about Sick & Wrong, and too many people talk about whatever zany character podcast/morning zoo crew radio show/celebrity jacking off podcasts. Sick & Wrong is almost at its fifth anniversary, once a week of quality podcrafting since episode 1 and they do it just for fun, no bullshit subscriptions. As they said, support the indie podcasts and stop downloading George Clooney and Julia Roberts podcast about what they ate for breakfast.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Tumble posted:

It's pretty surprising that nobody talks about it, since it's pretty much pure SA in a non-awkward radio show format. They talk about horrible, un-pc things and make mean jokes about it, so you guys should probably listen to it.

Dee: How do you even diddle a 3 month old? What can you possibly do to a 3 month old?
Lance: Are you asking me to imagine having sex with a 3 month old baby? I'm not partaking in that thought experiment.
(later)
Lance: I think you just kind of rub it around your parts.

I think Lance is a goon, he's mentioned Something Awful a few times and I think he found a story here once, back when they actually looked for stories.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 16, 2010

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

bananasinpajamas posted:

Do you have an opinion on podcasts featuring celebrities, CharlesWillisMaddox?

Sick & Wrong sounds very terrible.

I do, actually. That and morning zoo crew radio shows, Red Bar Radio is probably the worst thing I have ever heard.

But no, Sick & Wrong is hilarious. If you find that quote disgusting, don't listen to the show because you won't like the show. I wasn't pitching it though, I was just quoting a good line from the current episode I was listening to (which one of the 3 sick and wrong stories was about a doctor who molested 103 kids, hence the quote).

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Cromulent posted:

Also, from yesterday's episode (with Duncan Trussell as guest, who's one of my favorites):

Redban: I've tricked two people into putting their finger into my used Fleshlight this week.
Joe: What the gently caress, dude? That's not a trick. You're not loving Lance Burton, that's being a douchebag.

Pretty sure he was kidding about that, because Joe immediately laughed when Redban brought up that it would be hosed up if they went home, fingered their girlfriend and knocked her up with his seed.

Majorian posted:

Perhaps it's not as funny out of context?

I gave the context already. Sick & Wrong is a show where the two hosts get the three most disgusting/sick and wrong stories they can find, and compare them while cracking jokes about everything that happens. The one I quoted was about a doctor who molested 103 kids, the youngest being 3 months old. It's no less sick or wrong then Something Awful. Don't listen though if you got disgusted or offended by the quote I posted, because they remain light hearted and jokey about every single thing that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

vonnegutt posted:

I think we can all agree that Jon Hamm is, and will forever be, the best podcast guest, even those of us who don't like celebrity interview style podcasts.

Replace "podcast" with "any form of media" and "guest" with "guy", I agree. He's the perfect super hero, as well. I'm mad he isn't: Superman, Batman, Hal Jordan/Green Lantern (Ryan Reynolds makes a better Kyle Rayner), Green Arrow, Captain America etc etc.

I wish I could find a steady link to the Jon Hamms John Ham sketch from SNL.

• Locked thread