Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webster876
Aug 4, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

Oh god, this. This. Doug Loves Movies is litterally one of the highlights of my week because it's always hilarious and Doug always has fantastic guests. The live audience definitely complements the show, so much so that the lack of an audience in the last couple weeks (the show was recorded at Pardo's Never Not Funny studio) sort of impairs the overall quality. But my god it's hysterical.

Throwing it out for Doug. The hilarity of this podcasts blows every other podcast out of the water. It is amazing. The comedy levels are off the chain, hook, AND charts. All three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Some of the CDR characters are pretty dumb, but i've heard a few that I really like. Whoever plays Adam Scott's ex-step father is HILARIOUS, especially when he just starts listing funny things, like illnesses he has (The Lucy Liu Flu), or his list of unlicenses therapists he's seen (Susan Infantdeathsyndrome).

Also, Cake Boss makes me laugh a lot.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
I'm listening to the backlog of CDR and the really gross food critic with the phlegmy voice is making me laugh so hard i'm about to pee my pants at work, and is seriously hindering my production, not to mention the fact that I had to stop working to tell the internet all about this. I'll admit, some episodes of CDR are kind of miss, but there is SO much more hit.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Alright, because of this thread, I am going to listen to nothing but UYD ALL day at work, and I will see if I can develop a taste for it. I WANT to like it, because everybody else does, maybe I just haven't developed a connection with the hosts. I'll post a trip report later, so :f5: until I get back.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Alright, time for the official "Guy who listened to Uhh Yeah Dude once for like 10 minutes and hated it and decided today to give it the genuine ol' college try"

I started at episode 1, made it about halfway through episode 7 (episode 6 was missing off my iPod for some reason, but whatever), and, in retrospect, I did judge Uhh Yeah Dude a bit too harshly. The guys have great chemistry, they are consistantly entertaining and are occasionally quite funny. Their banter is interesting. With that being said, I can imagine the banter getting a little bit stale after a while if it's only these two guys, but I might be wrong. I'm not sure if they have special guests, funny characters, or quiz games they toss in later. And it is not as funny as Comedy Death Ray or Doug Loves Movies, but I can def see UYD making it into my podcast rotation.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

They don't add guests, characters or quiz shows later (thankfully), its one of the reasons the show is so great, they don't rely on any gimmicking morning radioshow crew bullshit, just two good friends trying to make each other laugh.

The closest they got to a celebrity circle jerk podcast was they played a voice mail they got from Ricky Gervais at the start of one show, and Jonathan phoned his dad to get his side of this story, and not a celebrity but Seth did one with his mom.

Yeahhh but I kinda like that stuff. Different tastes, son. Different tastes.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Alright, around episode 15 of Uhh Yeah Dude, the actual laugh our loud moments are rolling in. Congrats, Uhh Yeah Dude, welcome to the team.

Regarding Scott Aukerman... he does have his moments where he's funny, and his infrequent single lines. I love his running joke with Would You Rather where after every question he exclaims how "And that is EXACTLY how you play would you rather", and he comes up with hilarious stuff on the fly for that game. I've only heard them play "What am I Wearing?" once, and at the very end, when nobody has any loving clue how they were supposed to be playing, he ends it with "And that's how you play..." even though it WASN'T how you play. But whatever. I really really hope his Weirder Scott songs are meant to be horrible, because they are. But overall, his hosting abilities and cast of funny friends far surpass his own comedic value.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

The_Rob posted:

How in anyway shape or form are you supposed to think that his weirder scott songs are supposed to be not horrible. The whole joke is that they are awful parody songs. If you don't think Birthday Checks is hilarious then I don't know what to tell you.

Okay, i'm satisfied then. There are a lot of people out there doing really horrible parody songs and thinking they rock, I was on the fence about whether or not Aukerman was one of those people.

Scared of Bees posted:

I am made out of balsa wood in the shape of a plane so I can fly and my landing gear is always stuck open and I have a brain made out of gold that people want to steal and scoop out of my head and I know there is my one true love out there that I can never find.

For this reason alone, Ice-T needs to participate in every single Would You Rather game. They are always so much better when he is involved.

webster876 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 27, 2010

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I can't decide if she's talking about Bacon or Josh Brolin. She's talking about a sex scene though and I'm under the impression that whoever she was talking about might have been completely naked and a little bit excited because she goes on to mention how she kept her bra on instead.

Also, she was a great guest and suprisingly honest about her career.

They were also talking about Hollow Man around the same time, right? I would guess it was about Kevin Bacon, IIRC he had to spend a lot of time bare-rear end naked during the making of that movie... you can even see his invisable penis when he's being sprinkled with water or paint or whatever the hell happened in that movie.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
I loving hate you, Uhh Yeah Dude.

Episode 34.
The Maul of America.

Crocs: Dead Comfy.

How the gently caress am I supposed to get work done if I am too busy lolling, UYD?! What the gently caress.

Also, further apologies for doubting this show. I took a brief haitus for the new This American Life and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, but it's been all UYD ever since. And it's going to be all UYD all the way to Dragon*Con, and my wife might divorce me because of it, because she hates talk radio, she hates comedy, and she hates laughing and feeling good, but it will be loving worth it.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
gently caress you, CDR.

"My real name is Raul Cheesecakefactory."

Edit: "Do you like all the fluffy goodness of cake with all the meaty beefness of steak? Try Scake!"

webster876 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 20, 2010

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

Civil posted:

This was the first time I was able to enjoy CDR. I usually give up 5 - 10 minutes in if the episode isn't doing it for me.

Do they have Chupacabra-like characters on there often? If so, I'll start giving it more of a shot.

I might be wrong, but I think the very vast majority of the time Nick Kroll is on, if not every single time, he does Chupacabra. Usually his call is from a baby though, the exact same baby every time. This is the first time I remember a goat calling the show. At first I got pretty annoyed with Chupacabra, but he has grown on me.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
I've discovered, Re: The Len Malton game, that I can usually guess in 0 or negative names for the movies that they sometimes have problems with. Elf was a big one from before (but that was months ago), as soon as they mentioned some black guy doing a voice, I caught it. This week when they said the year of the cross dresser movie and Len's reivew of it, I had it. I'm so pissed I missed when Doug Benson was in Nashville, but I seriously want to hit up one of his shows, even if it's in another city or state and try to get on stage for the game.

I got tripped up on BttF 3 though. I had always thought everybody loved it, and even that some people considered it the best of the trilogy. So I was surprised when Doug said he didn't care for it, but otherwise I might have guessed that.

Edit: And yeah, I double posted. I win the game.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
THEY TOWED MY loving CAR!

Edit: And Huell Howser?!? It must be my birthday!

webster876 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 24, 2010

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

For those of you who listen to Doug Benson's podcast, you're in for a real treat on Friday

Did you get to go to a live show? I am very jellis.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
I didn't care too much for the Bill Cosby guy. But whatever. I am so excited about DLM today, though.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
A great episode. It was kind of cheap that they did only Litghow movies for Len Maltin.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Birbiglia's part of the newest This American Life is my favorite Birbiglia so far. Also, I absolutly LOVE that podcasts are recognized as such a viable form of media that they now have a circuit. First everybody from The League was on CDR, DLM, The Nerdist, now Mike Birbiglia is doing TAL, CDR and Nerdist. Has it always been like this, at least for established comedians? Or is this new?

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
CDR was really awesome today. Normally i'm kinda iffy about Andrew Lloyd Webber, but he was hilarious today. And the Would You Rather at the end is easily in the top 5 ever.

DLM is also awesome so far. Not a huge Jackass fan, but i'm digging Wee Man.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but 'What Am I Thinking' doesn't seem like it could be funny, ever.

I think the point of the joke is that it is really only marginally entertaining only for those playing it at the time.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
I've started texting Jah from UYD, but have yet to hear back. I'll squeal and crap if anything i've texted him about ends up on the air.

And i've started using UYD lingo. I use "bone down" on a regular basis, and rephrasing questions slighly and repeating them has become hilarious.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
So so glad I opened up this thread this morning. I need some good CDR so bad. The last two kinda sucked.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Today is a sad day. Today is the day I will finish the backlog of UYD. :'( I don't want it to end, Seth and Jah. I want the magic to continue forever.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
The new CDR is pretty good, but I kind of went CRAZY when they all started jamming. No Would you Rather, though :(

Also, the cobbler that Tig mentiones? I found it on Google Maps.

Edit: Nevermind! I thought it was over, but they do play Would You Rather! My bad!!!

webster876 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 29, 2010

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
I finally started listening to The Podcast Eating Contest, and it was so-so, until episode 3, "Canada", when they all go into this bit of requoting Jurassic Park, but making it sound more Canadian, and I lost it at work. Then my bluetoof headphones died. So the rest will have to wait.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Do they ever stop burping into the microphone on Podcast Eating Contest? It's REALLY nauseating, and the fact that they think it's hilarious almost turns me off from the podcast completely.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

NecronSchmecron posted:

This is my #1 complaint about it. they have good improv chops, though so I'm torn between unsubscribing and continuing.

I'm the same way. I really want to keep listening, but I just shudder every time one of them burps and then they all laugh like retards.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Um... Ethan Suplee just LIED on DLM...

They were talking about his scene in Mallrats when he was looking at the magic eye poster, and Doug asked if he could actually see it. Ethan said he could, and that it actually WAS a sailboat. But, on the DVD, you can pause it and plainly see that it is just a few random shapes. LIAR, ETHAN. LIAR.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Butt Custard. HOLY gently caress. I love Bob Ducca.

gently caress I cannot listen to that at work. I don't know what it is about Bob Ducca's lists of poo poo that makes me laugh so hard that I cry, but I cannot do it. Not at work.

webster876 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 6, 2010

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I don't know how Kevin Smith is going to write or direct another movie with all the podcasts and radio appearances he does (I listen to the Kevin & Bean podcast from KROQ in Southern California).

I, for one, am all for him never ever ever ever writing or directing another movie ever.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Jesus poo poo, the Podcast Eating Contest, not only is your belching horrible and stupid, but then you preface an episode by saying you WON'T be doing it, and then keep doing it? Now I just look stupid, Podcast Eating Contest, because I believed you. You are funny, but because I cannot listen to your show without almost barfing, your feed is being removed. Sorry.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Re: The Podcast Eating Contest
It's a bummer for you guys who can't get past the belching. It's just "a thing". It's funny and endearing. Like I said, I think it's funny that people seem to get so worked up over it. If you were just sitting around with your friends and one of them belched would you have a fit and leave?

From what I hear their Christmas Extravaganza is going to be wild!

The "thing" is neither funny nor endearing. It's annoying and infantile. If I was sitting around with one of my friends and they burped, sure, it wouldn't be a big deal, but if they continually burped, over and over and over again, and then continued to burp despite people saying that it was annoying and stupid, then yes, I would leave. And I can see the humor in watching somebody get worked up over something stupid like that, but only when I am the audience to somebody else getting worked up, not when that person is ME.

If they want to have a successful podcast, then they shouldn't intentionally keep doing that ONE thing that is stopping listeners from listening to their podcast. Because, were it not for that, I would listen. Every week. I would donate money, I would recommend them to friends, I would proudly wear a PEC t-shirt. But they insist on keeping that one completely retarded aspect of the show, that provides no humor or entertainment value to anybody but themselves and a few other choice people who get some kind of weird pleasure out of imagining other listeners getting grossed out.

If they want to make a podcast that appeals only to the three of them, then they are succeeding valiantly, but I can't imagine them ever building up a sizable, serious fanbase that would ever see them as more than, at most, a novelty act.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
How about instead of burping they do more impromptu beatbox jam sessions.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

NecronSchmecron posted:

I don't care if they're good at it or not (They did this once, didn't they?) I would laugh my rear end off.

IIRC, it was a reoccuring thing... I thought it happened at least three or four times.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
You're uncleviable!

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
DLM this week was pretty good, but it had the hosts of the all new Earwolf podcasts, which i've downloaded and begun listening to.

So far i've heard both episodes of 'Who Charted?', a roundtable discussion of the top five songs, movies, tv shows, etc. on the charts. Very very funny so far. Nobody super recognizable so far, though, but I'm liking it a lot.

"Horcruxes are not people. Oh Howard, you have much to learn." Kumail Nanjiani is especially funny.

webster876 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 17, 2010

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
The host of "Glitter in the Garbage", another new Earwolf podcast, is really annoying me, but he's also ripping on "The Middle", so I feel a strange kinship wish him. We will see how this works out.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

A podcast without a celebrity who has at the very least been on TV? Can you even CALL it a podcast at that point?

Oh, no, the guests have been in stuff, they're in the entertainment industry, just not in anything that I recognize.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
In the new UYD, after Jonathan mentioned AGAIN that he doesn't have a TV, I texted him regarding such (This was my third or fourth time texting him over the months, never gotten a response before).

"Hey, you don't quite mention enough on uyd whether or not you own a television. Can you please clarify, so we all know for sure whether or not you have a tv?"

And a few minutes later, he responded!

"Hahahah eat a dick"

Love UYD so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Well, I was going to call out Doug Benson for steaking Brian Regan's 'Walkie-Talkie' bit, but I don't want to get blocked on Twitter...
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A194vDpXzyA)

• Locked thread